• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| February 2015. No ship girls. Oh, we got a Tank Girl though!

Cade

Gotta say, these fanfic crossovers are the bold new direction Comic-GAF needed. In a stunning step forward into the future only Axel Alonso could've predicted. Join me next Wednesday for my Alonso x Rafa slashfic.

Sadist

Got Spider-Gwen #1 digital, oh well.

Great read btw. Enjoyed it a lot.

New Avengers is awesome as well, Amazing Spider-Man #15 too.

Batman 39 was straight up crazy. Gatdamn

tim1138

Spider-Gwen hype seems the same as Batgirl new costume hype, but i didn't read Spider-verse so i'm giving it judgmental hype room.

ODY-C vol 1 will be in the next dcbs pre-order, i'll probably pick that up and Wytches vol 1 since both are 9.99 vol 1 intro priced.

I haven't read any of the Spiderverse stuff yet, so I'm in the same boat as you. That said, the book still did nothing for me. I'll "read" the three issues Robbi Rodriguez draws when they hit Unlimited, but otherwise no thanks.

Prepare to have your mind blown in a completely great way with ODY-C.

That's precisely how I felt after reading the Spider-Verse issue, and I figured that's what would happen with this issue. Latour ain't a good writer, and despite an incredibly strong concept, the execution was bound to be disappointing.

Also, totally agree that ODY-C is fucking excellent. Really glad they didn't try to pander with this book and are taking the soul of the original material and propagating it through this new world.

This was the first book I've read that Latour has written and I was not impressed. Too many artists are trying to make that jump to writer and are falling flat. No shame in sticking to what you know and what you're good at.

ODY-C is the first book I've had the urge to write to the letters column about, I enjoy it that much. But then I remember that even though Fraction has seemingly abandoned his twitter account, Christian Ward hasn't and is super friendly.

frye

It hasn't mentioned it yet, unless I skipped over it. It's really more about Wonder Woman's history as a character across her different eras. It doesn't just track changes in how she is portrayed (her characterization, her abilities, her relationship with other characters), but also compares her with contemporaneous female characters like Lois Lane, Batgirl, Catwoman, Carol Ferris, etc.. There's also analysis of Marston's feminism and fetishism and how the two can't really be separated, and commentary on the general state of the industry and how changing social mores for women changed the representation of women in comics and so forth.

On that note, this might sound familiar:

And in this period, Wonder Woman lost her powers, left the Justice League because she was powerless (unlike the similarly powerless Batman or Green Arrow), centered her life around Steve, and lost the characteristics that differentiated her from her male counterparts (most notably her interest in getting to the root causes of problems and looking for non-violent solutions). It's interesting how the attempt to make Wonder Woman more relatable in the Bronze Era actually ended up being regressive when compared to the direction that Lois Lane or Batgirl had taken. The difference between Lois Lane and Superman's relationship in the Golden Age versus the Bronze Age in particular is fascinating, though the Golden Age stuff isn't really surprising to anyone familiar with Superdickery.

Hmm yeah.

I think you might find one of the other Wonder Woman books published last year interesting (there were three for some reason??), Noah Berlatsky's Wonder Woman: Bondage and Feminism in the Marston/Peter Comics, 1941-1948, expanded from a blog series he did a while back called "Bound to Blog." I find that he can be a bit obnoxious in some of his writing but his perspective on WW is cool because 1) he genuinely loves the Golden Age Wonder Woman, possibly more than anyone else in the world and 2) is by and large uninterested in anything that comes after. As you can probably guess from the title it's a series of close readings of the Marston/Peter Wonder Womans. One argument I remember finding super interesting is the idea that Wonder Woman as a character only ever made sense in the Golden Age/war era.

Hanley reviewed the book on TCJ and Berlatsky reviewed Hanley's book on Salon

Messi

I was a semi-regular and then I just stopped posting for some time. Dark times.

What if one day you guys come here and I am gone. WHAT IF.

How would you guys know all the hot Harley news. How would you hear about the upcoming work of Stjepan Sejic?

YXQsD4K.gif

Chiming in on framing comics:
I bought a bunch of decent looking (but super cheap) certificate frames from the dollar store and used acid-free black paper as backing to the comic (I keep the comics bagged). This created a simple, black backdrop for the comic. Total cost was maybe $2 per framed comic and it looks nice enough that my girlfriend doesn't mind them on the wall, and she hates 90% of what I own so I think it must look ok.

fauxtrot

Banned
I don't think I've posted enough to be considered regular-status, but even at my reduced rate I know I'll never leave.

I do fear a day when someone mentions the name Messi/Freeza/Tim/Zombine/Kipp/GH/JC/etc and most of the current posters ask "Who's that?"

Owzers

Thor #4: My problem with new Thor is that i don't care who it is and Jason Aaron does, and because of this all the teasing and questioning strikes me as obnoxious. This problem is compounded when half the issue is " i don't want to fight!" and then they fight. There was one standout moment at least when it came to new Thor's identity,
when Thor was wondering if new thor was his mother and then she kissed him
. That moment saved an otherwise disappointing issue. Random 4/10

I don't think I've posted enough to be considered regular-status, but even at my reduced rate I know I'll never leave.

I do fear a day when someone mentions the name Messi/Freeza/Tim/Zombine/Kipp/GH/JC/etc and most of the current posters ask "Who's that?"

A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away...

Harley Quinn ruled ComicsGAF.

Sorry, but who is that

Zombine

Banned
Thor #4: My problem with new Thor is that i don't care who it is and Jason Aaron does, and because of this all the teasing and questioning strikes me as obnoxious. This problem is compounded when half the issue is " i don't want to fight!" and then they fight. There was one standout moment at least when it came to new Thor's identity,
when Thor was wondering if new thor was his mother and then she kissed him
. That moment saved an otherwise disappointing issue. Random 4/10

I bet you'd like it more for a dollar.

What if one day you guys come here and I am gone. WHAT IF.

How would you guys know all the hot Harley news. How would you hear about the upcoming work of Stjepan Sejic?

YXQsD4K.gif

Dude, I legit thought that pic was Tomonobu Itagaki at first. XD

200px-Itagaki_Thumbs_Up_MNT.jpg

Was I the only one who picked up Curb Stomp #1?

Yes. I was interested back when the announcement came out, but I dunno. Too much comics. Let me know how it is, maybe I'll grab the trade.

Ain't never gonna happen, yo. I ride till I die. TURTLE POWER!

CBTech

Goddamn, another cliffhanger on Gotham Academy! I want the next issue right now.

Literally every issue has been a cliffhanger so far. At least this month's issue didn't jump ahead in time completely glossing over the resolution of the cliffhanger like all of the past issues have. I'm loving Gotham Academy, but that aspect of it has been annoying me from issue #3.

MG310

IST Order of I didn't even plan on making one this week.

Captain America Epic Collection - Society of Serpents
James Jean Fables Covers
Modern Masters: Paolo Rivera

tim1138

2 weeks have never seemed so long.

It'll be a new morning in ComicsGAF, when I'm not the only one reading and talking about the Manhattan Projects.

Yo, still stuck with that first trade. Being Kipp-ish really boned me on this one.

You should just suck it up and get the rest in tpb. Plenty of time to pick them up and get caught up for the relaunch! Join ManhattanProjectsGAF in the sun!

Coining words like "Dare-splaining" is what makes Waid one of my favorite writers. Sorry for all the gushing but I absolutely love the way his characters interact, there's just so much heart in his DD run.
Whole issue put a smile on my face. Love this run so much, and genuinely hope that what comes next doesn't undo all that Waid and Samnee have done.

Kirsten! :D

Goodstyle

Batman #39
Hahahahahahaha! Now that was funny. Poor Alfie hahahahaha!
Comic is so hype right now. Can't wait for the thrilling conclusion.

Top Bottom