• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| February 2015. No ship girls. Oh, we got a Tank Girl though!

OK, I just fucking lost it at this cover. So just so gloriously Harley. Of course Harley would race a chariot pulled by Cheetahs.

bcvseQW.jpg

Ugh, thanks for all the Nextwave posts guys, now I need to read it again.
That shit wouldn't have flown when I was with the Avengers.

So, everyone ready for Battlechasers to come back
as a video game
:
SwordInTheStorm.jpg
?
I'm so glad someone is finally addressing that HL3/TLG/FFXV niche of games not releasing.

"Don't worry, Miles. I'm sure we'll see each other again."
That made me chuckle. I also like how they went out of their way to create a prison
on an alternate earth rather than kill the bad guys, when that universe is going to be destroyed anyway.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Wait so why is no one talking about Batman #39?

Because of New Avengers #30. If it hadn't been for New Avengers, Batman would be the book of the week. Not even a contest there, Snyder and Capullo are just murdering that book. They've absolutely ruined the book for the next creative team. I absolutely loved the issue and all the reveals and threads getting connected, I'm still thinking it's some kind of partial hallucination caused by Scarecrow's gas, it's just too close to the freak outs Bruce was having in the opening pages of the arc. It was a great issue but Batman just got outdone this week is all. Hickman's firing on all cylinders, tying up loose ends and somehow making things even worse than we could have ever imagined. I mean the big bad in his story is probably the strongest dude anyone in the entire Marvel Universe has ever faced at this point. The hype levels are just beyond the impossible.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
tumblr_nkc3vvEzVX1tvfc2ho1_540.png

Yup, the twins aren't mutants anymore, either. Though this other panel caught my curiosity.
tumblr_nkc3vvEzVX1tvfc2ho2_1280.png

Is Rogue also not a mutant? Is she being hidden so the experiments can continue? I guess we'll find out soon enough.

Ok, until now it was open to be discussed, but this makes it clear that Marvel is just trolling the X-Men fanboys.

Edit: lol, and when you see Gambits reaction, it seems to be a full success *g*

wetflame

Pizza Dog
I don't get to read Spider-Gwen for a few days as I went floppy and got a Skottie Young variant online. The price I pay for physical. At least I have Batman, Daredevil & Secret Avengers this week I can read digital, and more. Good week for comics.

I'm in two minds as to whether to catch up on Moon Knight. I loved the Ellis issues but I bowed out when Wood took over. But it's still good? I loved the style of the book so if that's continued I might go back.

I think Commentary Begging in Comics-GAF should be subject to the same rules as Port Begging on the gaming side lol

I ain't even got shit to say. I just read it. That shit was legit. This series has risen into the heavens. I generally wake up to a bag of comics by my door every Wednesday when I wake up for work. So my first reads are generally early AM at work.

I ain't even got shit to say. I just read it. That shit was legit. This series has risen into the heavens. I generally wake up to a bag of comics by my door every Wednesday when I wake up for work. So my first reads are generally early AM at work.

You're preaching to the converted, breh. Shit's genius.

I don't normally come here, but Low #6 guys.
Dam......I'm getting this in trade when it comes out. I think in terms of Remender's indie book this trumps Black Science for me.

Zombine

Banned
I don't normally come here, but Low #6 guys.
Dam......I'm getting this in trade when it comes out. I think in terms of Remender's indie book this trumps Black Science for me.

It's legit perfect. It's Remender's strongest title he has on the shelves right now.

No, Deadly Class isn't even a fraction as creative as Low.

It's as good a time as any to talk about what I've been reading on MU (besides the aforementioned Secrets Avengers and Nextwave).

X-Men by Chris Claremont - You know, I'm not usually into the 60s/70s writing styles such as this, but I can stomach classic Doctor Strange and fall in love with Howard the Duck, surely classic X-Men shouldn't be too much. I was able to stomach it up to roughly issue 107 and then one issue just randomly started with the X-Men in space and didn't even contain a flashback, just exposition, and I couldn't deal with it anymore. I couldn't imagine myself reading enough more of that writing style to get to the Dark Phoenix saga, let alone the decade afterwards. It's a shame, too, I find myself enjoying Storm, Nightcrawler, and Colossus, but I'll probably look into a later run like Morrison's or Whedon's to really get into the X-Men.

Ghost Rider and Ghost Riders: Heaven's On Fire by Jason Aaron - I absolutely love this run. Nice artwork, nice story, cool characters, just a ton of fun. I have most of Heaven's On Fire left to read, but this is some fine shit.

Daredevil by Frank Miller - This run (including the time when Miller was just the artist) has pretty cool stuff going on. Kingpin is pretty sympathetic, Bullseye is an entertaining villain, I like Elektra, and of course, that artwork. I might end up buying the omnibus of this just, it's great.

Thanos by Jim Starlin - I've read half of Abnett and Lanning's Guardians, but I figured I should check out the rest of the Cosmic Marvel saga while I have MU. Supposedly, this is the place to start, and although I'm only three issues in, I'm quite liking it. The writing style feels a little archaic, but otherwise, yeah, pretty cool stuff so far.

Spider-Gwen was great.
Fucking love Rodriquez's art,, (FBP will never be the same lol)
I thought It had a good mixture of everything,, some action, some "real life" type drama.

I've played drums since I was a little bastard, and played out live for years (just started in another band finally ) so I love that she is a drummer,, and how they have the band as part of the story.

Robbi Rodriguez + Music/drums/band. Loyal fan fa life ahah.

Haven't read Batman #39 yet.. hyped as always. Thumbed through it.. my fuck Capullo is godly. Almost intimidated to read this book,, feel like I really need to set the mood for it.

Also did anyone get the Criminal (Savage sword of Criminal) magazine variant issue this week? Scanned through it.. looks sweeeeet.

fertygo

It's legit perfect. It's Remender's strongest title he has on the shelves right now.

No, Deadly Class isn't even a fraction as creative as Low.

More creativity aren't always reflected as better quality, I always in camp of execution is more important than creativity.

That said this comment made me want to check out LOW's first trade.

Mumei

Wow it has some REALLY good prices on a lot of trades i am in the market for and 4 omnibus books i have been in the market for.

You should know that when you buy from IST, you get a 2% discount on your next purchase for the next eight days. So it's best to make one purchase just over $50, for the free shipping, and then get the 2% additional off everything else, at least if there's a lot of things you want to get.

Hmm yeah.

I think you might find one of the other Wonder Woman books published last year interesting (there were three for some reason??), Noah Berlatsky's Wonder Woman: Bondage and Feminism in the Marston/Peter Comics, 1941-1948, expanded from a blog series he did a while back called "Bound to Blog." I find that he can be a bit obnoxious in some of his writing but his perspective on WW is cool because 1) he genuinely loves the Golden Age Wonder Woman, possibly more than anyone else in the world and 2) is by and large uninterested in anything that comes after. As you can probably guess from the title it's a series of close readings of the Marston/Peter Wonder Womans. One argument I remember finding super interesting is the idea that Wonder Woman as a character only ever made sense in the Golden Age/war era.

Hanley reviewed the book on TCJ and Berlatsky reviewed Hanley's book on Salon

I finished reading it yesterday. I wonder what he would have had to say about the run that Brian Azzarello had very recently. I don't think that it's anything inherent about the character that leads to vacuous storylines outside of the context of the Golden Age / war era; I think that it's simply a failure on the part of creators to come up with a portrayal of Wonder Woman that resonates (though personally Perez's run does for me - I'm looking forward to the omnibus edition that comes out later this year). In fairness, it is pretty hard to nail; you have to have a Wonder Woman who captures something of what is progressive in her era in a positive way, but isn't presented as an unobtainable ideal that just exists to show how other women are deficient and also has a compelling storyline. Good luck threading that needle. I think it might just have been easier to do in the Golden Age / war era because of how low the bar was set in terms of how she could be represented and still be seen as positive.

The book you mentioned sounds interesting. I'll have to see if the library has it. My library does have The Amazing Spider-Man: Big Time Ultimate Collection, so I now have that on reserve.

Yo Spike, what did you think of the new Batman issue?
Me? I haven't read Batman since Court of Owls. I just read that Snyder interview; that's how I know THE STAKES HAVE NEVER BEEN HIGHER.

That Daredevil, though. Talk about stakes.

And Simon Cooke is never getting laid.

wetflame

Pizza Dog

Hmmm. I'll give it a try. I have to say, I was feeling like I might not be able to move on after Fraction/Aja but this seems different and interesting enough for me to give it a shot. Can't help but feel like we're losing some of the human side of Clint, but then again this is based on the preview so that might come in elsewhere.

Also I hate to say it but I don't like Jeff Lemire's art. That variant cover looks pretty bad. Luckily the interiors look decent.

Edit: When do we do the votes for books of the month?

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
http://www.polygon.com/2015/2/26/8112963/battle-chasers-game-comic-joe-madureira

Madureira says he's thinking of the new comic run in three-issue arcs. The first of those will wrap up the story he left dangling in 2001 — "so people can finally stop asking," he jokes — and tie into the game. After that, he says he'd like to do further three-issue arcs but he's waiting to see how everything shakes out before committing to more.

The comic is also coming back awyeeeeaaaaaaahhhh.

I said it in the gaming thread, but Battle Chasers is a personal one to me. It's one of the comics that helped me learn English, I'd read and re-read imported comic books back then with a dictionary by my side. Very, very happy about this news.

oh my god sorrentino

dude has elevated his game in all new x-men

sure, it was fun seeing him draw arrows and whatever but holy shit

him on that cosmic stuff is next level

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
oh my god sorrentino

dude has elevated his game in all new x-men

sure, it was fun seeing him draw arrows and whatever but holy shit

him on that cosmic stuff is next level
Please get him off X-Men so that I can enjoy his incredible work.

Top Bottom