• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| February 2015. No ship girls. Oh, we got a Tank Girl though!

Battleworld stuff feels like bullshit and that the secret wars event itself is secondary to all the stuff Marvel wants to sell us.

I'm way more interested in the end of Hickman's super long arc than all the battleworld shenanigans, but hey, it's a nice diversion for anyone not interested.

I just have a good feeling that whatever sells is going to be canon though; certain 616 characters are going bye bye. I'd beware of those Battleworld titles.

fauxtrot

Banned

Spurrier + Walker + Elsa??

tip-dance.gif

SArcher

Banned
Anyone know what's happened to the Wonder Woman '77 digital first comic? 3 issues came out in January and nothing since then.

Thanos #4-6. I quite like this...Thanos character. Tell me, is he in any movies?

And I picked up where I left off in Hawkeye from the trades, with #12 and the Annual. Both good issues, I gotta say, even without the Aja art.

I started reading Claremont's run a month or so ago and I agree that it's a slog at the beginning but it does start getting good around 1979. You'll probably want to read the early space story though as that's where Phoenix comes from. Once you read the early Phoenix stuff you can probably skip right to Proteus (#125) and be okay. Professor X is chilling with his space girlfriend and half of the X-Men thinks the other half is dead (and vice versa), and that's about all you need to know.

Yeah, I already read the story that introduced Phoenix. I stopped reading around the time where Firelord attacked Professor X, Jean, and Misty Knight.

Maybe I'll pick it back up at some point. I have higher-priority comics to read, though.

I'm tired of Secret Wars and it hasn't even happened yet
Same. Marvel's incessant Secret Wars and Battleworlds announcements have worn thin, and I've decided to ignore the whole thing until it affects the comics I buy. Then, I'll make a decision to keep going or take a break from that book.

NexusCell

Secret Wars is basically Marvel going: "Heres of bunch of concepts that we could never justify in the previous continuity. Popular ones stay in the new Marvel Universe, unpopular ones don't."

Plus, I guess this is Marvel sort of expanding their genres. Police force with Thors, death races with Ghost Riders, etc

Owzers

A better framed complaint about battleworld than swearing is that it's the same complaint i have when Marvel teases the next event before the one that is going on has ended. I feel like Secret Wars is over, even though i've never read it, and we already have all this Battleworld stuff from the fallout, of which we don't know if it's actually staying or will be changed into something else. And as far as enjoying books for what they are, i have no faith in these minis and presume the majority exist to waste three months before the next continuity direction starts. There's bound to be a couple good minis out of Battleworld, even Flashpoint had Azz's Batman, but i don't feel motivated to guess which will be great when pre-ordering through dcbs.

Messi

A better framed complaint about battleworld than swearing is that it's the same complaint i have when Marvel teases the next event before the one that is going on has ended. I feel like Secret Wars is over, even though i've never read it, and we already have all this Battleworld stuff from the fallout, of which we don't know if it's actually staying or will be changed into something else. And as far as enjoying books for what they are, i have no faith in these minis and presume the majority exist to waste three months before the next continuity direction starts.

basically, all of this.

i was re-reading my Infinity Gauntlet omnibus the other day and I had forgotten how good the Silver Surfer issues leading up the event were, especially love the one where he confronts Galactus over his lack of guilt.

fauxtrot

Banned
I got caught up watching NXT / SmackDown! last night and forgot to read Spider-Gwen (as well as all of my other Wednesday pulls).

A better framed complaint about battleworld than swearing is that it's the same complaint i have when Marvel teases the next event before the one that is going on has ended. I feel like Secret Wars is over, even though i've never read it, and we already have all this Battleworld stuff from the fallout, of which we don't know if it's actually staying or will be changed into something else. And as far as enjoying books for what they are, i have no faith in these minis and presume the majority exist to waste three months before the next continuity direction starts. There's bound to be a couple good minis out of Battleworld, even Flashpoint had Azz's Batman, but i don't feel motivated to guess which will be great when pre-ordering through dcbs.

Battleworld is fallout from the second issue though.

Battleworld will not be over titles after SW #8 comes out, I'd almost certainly guarantee.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Secret Wars is basically Marvel going: "Heres of bunch of concepts that we could never justify in the previous continuity. Popular ones stay in the new Marvel Universe, unpopular ones don't."

Plus, I guess this is Marvel sort of expanding their genres. Police force with Thors, death races with Ghost Riders, etc
Yeah, Breevort kinda confirmed this.

Mudcrab

The Battleworld stuff isn't fallout it's just other things that are happening during the event. Its more of the usual tie-ins that every event has except that these give the writers a bit more freedom because lots of restrictions simply aren't there anymore. Some will be good others will be written by Humphries but that's every event. Expecting any of these weirder minis to exist after the event ends is a mistake I think, things like A-Force however will.

As for Secret Wars itself, Hickman and Marvel have been planning this since before his FF run, it was entirely Hickman's idea and that alone makes it more interesting than the average event, imo.

Sou Da

The Battleworld stuff isn't fallout it's just other things that are happening during the event. Its more of the usual tie-ins that every event has except that these give the writers a bit more freedom because lots of restrictions simply aren't there anymore. Some will be good others will be written by Humphries but that's every event. Expecting any of these weirder minis to exist after the event ends is a mistake I think, things like A-Force however will.

As for Secret Wars itself, Hickman and Marvel have been planning this since before his FF run, it was entirely Hickman's idea and that alone makes it more interesting than the average event, imo.

Horrible flashbacks to Ultimate Avengers when Hickman had the GOAT story running with Evil Reed and jumped ship at the last second.

Zombine

Banned
^

Most of the regulars here know I hate events and everything they stand for, but I am beyond sold on every Battleworld book and Secret Wars in general.

Sou Da

Well while you're here, Zombine what do you think "Last Days of" is going to be like for characters like Ms.Marvel?

Is Robbie going to get one? His world is pretty much already coming to an end.

Zombine

Banned
Well while you're here, Zombine what do you think "Last Days of" is going to be like for characters like Ms.Marvel?

Is Robbie going to get one? His world is pretty much already coming to an end.

The "Last Days Of" Ms Marvel is going to be a story about how Axel Alonso finally fuses with Ben and their excitement for thie industry becomes one cosmic chaotic neutral God even stronger than The One Above All which begins to fold the Marvel U and all of its timelines on top of one another. Miss Marvel will cease to exist and the real Captain Marvel will un-Cancer death himself and become the savior of the Marvel Marvel U. Then there will be one final epic showdown with Rafa after he becomes Benlonso's Herald of Hype.

And then I buy it on eBay because it's $4.99

PsychBat!

Banned
The "Last Days Of" Ms Marvel is going to be a story about how Axel Alonso finally fuses with Ben and their excitement for thie industry becomes one cosmic chaotic neutral God even stronger than The One Above All which begins to fold the Marvel U and all of its timelines on top of one another. Miss Marvel will cease to exist and the real Captain Marvel will un-Cancer death himself and become the savior of the Marvel Marvel U. Then there will be one final epic showdown with Rafa after he becomes Benlonso's Herald of Hype.

And then I buy it on eBay because it's $4.99

But what happens to Kipp?

Top Bottom