• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| February 2015. No ship girls. Oh, we got a Tank Girl though!

Boogiepop

Right then, looked over IST, and I think I'm going with the variant for UA Omnibus since the cover looks a little nicer to me, and then volumes #4-5 for Hellblazer, the Exiles 2009 that's collected in a single trade, and what I need from my Archie stuff+TMNT to catch back up on those.
Also thinking I'd add the first of the four collections for Waid FF, since you guys said it was amazing and I just read Hickman FF, so with this I can give it a try. Is that a good idea for getting a feel for the run?

Messi

If secret wars kills the Noto Black Widow book I will be pissed off. I feel like my pull list will take heavy losses after this.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
looking back at my stupid list of stuff I read since december, that has to be the bext $10 ive ever spent in my life lol. Good lord. Sure I dont own any of it but still.

I wonder when it renews, it was 2 months for $10 promo back in december, I cant remember when I activated tho. must be clone either way.

Owzers

I'm going to do something crazy and recommend people not blind buy the Uncanny Avengers omnibus, especially if they read Axis and didn't like it

If secret wars kills the Noto Black Widow book I will be pissed off. I feel like my pull list will take heavy losses after this.

As interested as I am in Secret Wars, I feel like turning the entire line into it is suicide for Marvel's 2015 sales. It's a DC gimmick month, but it lasts a whole year? It'll just run out of steam after 3-4 months, nobody has the scratch to buy that many tie-in books.

Boogiepop

I'm going to do something crazy and recommend people not blind buy the Uncanny Avengers omnibus, especially if they read Axis and didn't like it

I haven't read Axis, but I was hearing it worked as a good follow-up/companion/whatever to UXF, which I read and enjoyed. Wasn't it a well liked run? Or did people end up not liking it that much in the end?

Messi

As interested as I am in Secret Wars, I feel like turning the entire line into it is suicide for Marvel's 2015 sales. It's a DC gimmick month, but it lasts a whole year? It'll just run out of steam after 3-4 months, nobody has the scratch to buy that many tie-in books.

I don't think I will be willing to buy that many tie ins. If it lasts a year then I can see a large portion of my money moving to image and dc.

Owzers

I haven't read Axis, but I was hearing it worked as a good follow-up/companion/whatever to UXF, which I read and enjoyed. Wasn't it a well liked run? Or did people end up not liking it that much in the end?

I liked Uncanny X-Force a lot, bought the omnibus just to have it on my shelf with other great runs like Hickman's FF, Immortal Iron Fist, Brubaker's initial Cap run . I tried not to have high expectations for Uncanny Avengers, and the first arc made sure they were lowered. After that it felt like Remender pushed the " let's just go back to Uncanny X-Force" button and that won me over for awhile until the last few issues where it had to get back to Axis lead-up.

It doesn't include Axis though. Im planning on reading Axis on MU when it gets there

Have you read Uncanny Avengers on MU already? You could start it and if you like the first few issues, get the Omnibus.

Vibranium

Banned
Bucky Barnes The Winter Soldier has been a huge misfire. Hope it's a casualty of Secret Wars.

See I can understand the new space angle, but I still totally agree with you Rafa. Gotta support my favourite character though.

They need to relaunch the book as pure espionage and with an artist who draws with a gritty yet conventional style.

fauxtrot

Banned
As long as Secret Wars doesn't derail Ms. Marvel (ala Aaron's WatXM), they can continue on with all of this fuckery.

See I can understand the new space angle, but I still totally agree with you Rafa. Gotta support my favourite character though.

They need to relaunch the book as pure espionage and with an artist who draws with a gritty yet conventional style.

A Brubaker/Phillips helmed Winter Soldier book would be glorious.

Vibranium

Banned
A Brubaker/Phillips helmed Winter Soldier book would be glorious.

It would be, but Bru has said that he doesn't have any plans to return to Marvel or Bucky over the horizon unfortunately. Phillips would be amazing for Winter Soldier though.

Marvel has had so much trouble handling WS lately it's funny.

I don't think I will be willing to buy that many tie ins. If it lasts a year then I can see a large portion of my money moving to image and dc.

I'm in the same boat, but with less DC books since I don't buy that many to begin with. At the moment it's just Batman & Robin, Grayson, Justice League and JL3000. I get the hardcovers of Snyder Batman as well. I have the first five, I might as well see out the series now.

Probably going to drop Vanilla JL after Darkseid War since while the book has been good, to me the Justice League should really be the Big Seven and maybe a couple of others, so Lex and Captain Cold being on the League while Hal is off in space not being written by Johns is a bad look IMO. I am not a big BWAH-HA-HA-era fan so JL3000 has fallen off for me, saved only by Howard Porter drawing the fuck out of it.

I dropped an awful lot of books before Christmas due to funds, and I'm not that keen to add more right now. My backlog is beyond ridiculous anyway, and it just got worse since I bought the Archie bundle today. I think at the very least I should read more of the Humble Bundle books before I go adding a rake of stuff.

As long as Secret Wars doesn't derail Ms. Marvel (ala Aaron's WatXM), they can continue on with all of this fuckery.

I'd say this is pretty likely, all they'll have to do is engineer a reason for her to be in Manhattan when the Battleworld is forged.

Messi

Pretty sure every title in their line will be pulled into Secret Wars/Battleworld somehow.

Yep, the intention seems to be to pull everything in. Most books are going to have their storylines interrupted and there will have to be a few casulties. Ms Marvel will absolutely be pulled in because of how popular it is right now.

Wait, what!? It's gonna kill BW?

I'm not sure that book can survive being pulled into the event is all I was saying. Kind of feel the same about Captain Marvel. Storylines will get fucked up at the very least.

I'm not sure that book can survive being pulled into the event is all I was saying. Kind of feel the same about Captain Marvel. Storylines will get fucked up at the very least.

I love Carol, but the truth is the book has been in cancellation territory almost since launch. They've had two attempts at it, time to put it down. They've said they won't though because "it's an important book". I imagine that's both because of moviez and Strong Female Protagonist reasons.

I expect a massive shitstorm when Ms. Marvel gets the axe.

cq2MvsT.png

Messi

I love Carol, but the truth is the book has been in cancellation territory almost since launch. They've had two attempts at it, time to put it down. They've said they won't though because "it's an important book". I imagine that's both because of moviez and Strong Female Protagonist reasons.

I expect a massive shitstorm when Ms. Marvel gets the axe.

It has a strong female following and is a very positive book. But yeah you are right it's numbers haven't been good at all.

I don't think Ms Marvel is in any trouble.

paM9HU1.jpg

Spider-Man and the X-men makes me feel like a child again, which is odd, because i'm pretty sure that books of this quality weren't often around when I was one.

"As long as that fake pop diva keeps pretendin' to be Ben Grimm, we're gonna make her life awful."

Subtle, Mr. Fraction.

From the same issue, I liked
Tong coming out as a girl.

tim1138

How exactly does one get a comic graded? Apparently that issue of X-Factor #6 (first appearance of Apocalypse) I have is worth a bit more than the $4 I paid for it 20+ years ago. My copy isn't in perfect condition by any means, but it's in good condition at the least. Odds are it'll go back in the basement and I'll forget I own it again, but it'd be nice to know in case I ever did want to sell it.

curb

Banned

I like Carol too and I don't follow comic sales numbers at all but I wonder what Marvel will do between now and 2018 considering the fact that they do have a movie in the pipeline. I wonder how much comic popularity has to do with potential movie ticket sales anyway.

I liked Uncanny X-Force a lot, bought the omnibus just to have it on my shelf with other great runs like Hickman's FF, Immortal Iron Fist, Brubaker's initial Cap run . I tried not to have high expectations for Uncanny Avengers, and the first arc made sure they were lowered. After that it felt like Remender pushed the " let's just go back to Uncanny X-Force" button and that won me over for awhile until the last few issues where it had to get back to Axis lead-up.

Have you read Uncanny Avengers on MU already? You could start it and if you like the first few issues, get the Omnibus.
Yeah I liked it quite a bit from what I've read. I think the first arc is the weakest hut it got better and better for me.

Messi

Regardless of sales, I have to say that the last few issues of Captain Marvel have been incredible. Especially the holiday issues. Just great feel good comics. The reason I read comics. That book has some special moments for Captain Marvel fans.

curb

Banned
Regardless of sales, I have to say that the last few issues of Captain Marvel have been incredible. Especially the holiday issues. Just great feel good comics. The reason I read comics. That book has some special moments for Captain Marvel fans.

That last panel in #11 man, tuggin my ol' crusty heartstrings.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Messi, what about asking Breevort on his Tumblr about Khamala in Secret Wars? He answered a question of mine a couple of days ago, too. At worst, he says "wait and see".

Messi

That last panel in #11 man, tuggin my ol' crusty heartstrings.

This is what I am talking about. It choked me up. Just beautiful.

Messi, what about asking Breevort on his Tumblr about Khamala in Secret Wars? He answered a question of mine a couple of days ago, too. At worst, he says "wait and see".

I wanna know what happens to Carol. Kampala too but much more so Carol.

kd-z

I've been reading Supergods recently and it inspired me to finally pick up Morrison's Doom Patrol run. The omnibus has just arrived and my tiny arms can barely lift it.
Hnnnggg that Doom Patrol Omnibus. I mean, I don't WANT the omnibus (also it's expensive), but I DO want to read the run. And it seems the trades are kind of going out of print. I think it would be perfect for a 3-volume Complete/Ultimate Collection in TPB or HC. Would buy the shit out of it.
The first harley new 52 trade is on sale at comixolgy for $4.99.

It's Tuesday, treat yourself to something you might not completely hate.
Thanks for the tip, bought it!
Phew, bagged and boarded almost 50 issues. You dont think it, but this takes quite a lot of time.
Hey GAMEPROFF, you live in Germany, right? Where do you get your comix from?

Almost here!!
I love verything about Spider-Gwen's design except for the... um, ballerinas on her feet I guess? I don't know how to call it bu tI also don't get why they have to be a color that doesn't appear anywhere else on the costume.

Also, becasue it's exam season for me my willpower is at a very low point. Yesterday I bought the last issue of Justice League before the Amazo Virus arc. And then the first issue of that arc. And now I've bought the rest of the arc :|
I'm liking it. It's punchy, in one issue there's a Bathazardsuit which speaks directly to my sensibilities as a human being and Lex and Cold are scheming their plots which I'm intrigued by. How many issues of the arc are left?

GrandHarrier, you're reading John's GL, right? How's the overall quality been? I remember not liking the first trade very much but I enjoyed Forever Evil spoilers and the last issue of FE (the only one I read). If the rest of the run is as much fun as this Amazo stuff I might get it on a (much) later date.

Mafro

Axis is completely over? Was it shit?
It was fine, not bad like it's made out to be on here, but it totally stank of editorial mandates. It would have worked far better as just an arc in Uncanny Avengers rather than a separate event.

Boogiepop

Okay, before I pull the trigger: how well does Waid's FF work in parts? Like, am I going to be okay if I just order the first collection now and then go back for the other 3 if/when I like it, or am I going to be pissed at myself for not getting it all at once?

Owzers

it's been a long time of people asking, comixology needs to find a way to hide books from your cloud listing. I want more organizational options, but the first thing needs to be a way to remove all the dumb trial books i have in my list that i have to keep scrolling past.

Okay, before I pull the trigger: how well does Waid's FF work in parts? Like, am I going to be okay if I just order the first collection now and then go back for the other 3 if/when I like it, or am I going to be pissed at myself for not getting it all at once?

I don't recall there being any huge cliffhangers between parts, you should be ok just getting one collection at a time.

Top Bottom