• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| February 2015. No ship girls. Oh, we got a Tank Girl though!

Zombine

Banned
Reading Sunstone but I just feel upset at every page. Maybe this isn't the best move.

Donate_Button.png

fauxtrot

Banned
I support a Messi donation fund if things get bad enough... we can't have the Heart of ComicsGAF without food or shelter (or Harley comics)!

Boogiepop

EDIT: FREAKIN' FINALLY!
http://www.amazon.com/dp/1627389512/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Gonna pre-order that one later.

Well it'd be past 3 am by then XD. I'll wait for tomorrow and check it out. Depending on what's on sale I might get New Frontier+TF books.

Did it get downgraded from a deluxe hardcover type thing? Because I could've sworn that was how it was originally solicited. Still good to see, even though I own it in trades.

Also, Bishoujo Jubilee ended up arriving on my doorstep today, much to my surprise as the tracking didn't seem to ever update outside of like once when it was in Japan. Must've been looking at the wrong thing or something, but yay! Oh, and the random other stuff I ordered from IST (Hellblazer 4-5, vol. #1 of the Waid FF Ultimate Collection, the 2009 Exiles trade, TMNT 10, and then the Sonic and Mega Man stuff I needed. And Uncanny Avengers, which is a surprisingly thin omnibus.)

It feels so surreal that Spider-Man is actually gonna part of the MCU. Wow.

Anyway, comics thoughts. Today I started Frank Miller's time as the artist on Daredevil, with Daredevil #158-160. Some really nice artwork in here, and stories are pretty enjoyable, too.

Also read Inhuman #2-3. Definitely feels like an X-Men vs. Brotherhood kind of thing, but it ain't bad. Well, Dante's a pretty mediocre character, but that's the worst I can say. The artwork is gorgeous, too. I'll probably check out one of the older Inhumans series after I get through a bunch of higher priority comics.

And Charles Soule's She-Hulk #7. Pulido's artwork, as always, is very hit or miss. Jen appeared to have fish eyes in at least one panel. Lots of spreads with here, which bothered me. Still, nice little story, and it's nice to see Pym for once.

Looking at my IST order history, I spent $960 in one years time. Then if you had a weekly average of $30 dollars for comics that's $1560 for a year. Add in impulse purchases, statues, figures, movies, ect.

I've spent around $3500-4000 in a years time on this hobby. I honestly don't know what to think of that.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Ooh! That Secret Six reprint came out today and is 50% off too! And Milligan's Dark Knight, Dark City!

MG310

Potential IST order.

New Frontier
Death TP
Secret Six
Sculptor

I was hoping they'd get the Paolo Rivera Modern Masters in this week...but I already preordered it from Amazon anyway.

omgkitty

I always love it when a character is based off of a very specific real life person, and they just draw them however they want. That Leia on the cover looks nothing like Carrie Fisher.

I hate this thread

16307173290_69f500c43f_c.jpg

Instock Trades >>> Amazon for comic collections. Even if the price is the same, the delivery is totally next level. I think Filthy Slug said it best:

They ship your package like Baby Kal-El from exploding-ass Krypton. They hug the books, seal them with a tight plastic blanket, and put them atop a foam-pillow (if you're buying superior omnibus editions) before firing them off. Shit is super legit, don't you dare buy from shit-ass Amazon books.

I damn near didn't even want to open my Absolute Batman Inc case, shit was so goddamn clean and comfy lookin

I'm about to pull the plug on that New Frontier for my first IST international order. If I have any luck, it won't be stuck at customs for 3 months like my last Amazon order.

Hang in there Messi.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Instock Trades >>> Amazon for comic collections. Even if the price is the same, the delivery is totally next level. I think Filthy Slug said it best:

I damn near didn't even want to open my Absolute Batman Inc case, shit was so goddamn clean and comfy lookin

Yo, I remember saying that! I was, and continue to be, in awe every time I get a package from IST. Those motherfuckers love comics.

Also, I'm way too broke right now to pick up that Absolute Batman Inc., but it's the first post-bonus thing I'm buying. If we're doing the Stray Bullets book club at that point, I'll snatch that up too.

arkon

Define "hope-filled". This term confuses me.

"Hope Filled Scriptures"

Our Heavenly Father delights in those who place their hope in Him. His unconditional love, concern, and Hope Filled Scriptures are consistently in His Word from Genesis to Revelation.

Wishing and hoping in people, events and circumstances is not real hope. Real hope springs from absolute faith in God and His promises. These Hope Filled Scriptures are for you

Recently, I've been trying to get into comics (or get back into after reading some books sporadically over the years) after dabbling in the Comixology app, and I was curious to see if I could get some recommendations from you guys.

I'm mainly interested in sole books or runs that experiment with paneling, coloring, and other aspects that play into the strengths of the medium. While I've heard certain Batman entries, like The Dark Knight Returns, be considered examples of that, I can't actually speak from experience of any that I've read. I even have that book on my wishlist because of that praise.

I'm game for any genre or art style, though I'm more intrigued with getting into some work outside of the cape stuff at the moment. However, I can be persuaded! I recently picked up the first volumes of Casanova and Sex Criminals during that recent CMX sale, since it seems like Matt Fraction's work is a must read.

In the past I've enjoyed:
- The first 3 Vol. Runaway's run
- Scott Pilgrim
- Seconds

Most recently I read and enjoyed the first issue of Bitch Planet and would like to continue that as well as try DeConnick's other stuff like her Captain Marvel stuff. Also, I'm currently reading the Power Girl: Power Trip book as I have a huge soft spot for Amanda Conner's art.

Sorry if this is a jumbled request, but I'm a little intimidated with how to get on the ground running with comics. I want to strike while the fiery interest is hot!

Top Bottom