• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| February 2015. No ship girls. Oh, we got a Tank Girl though!

One thing I noticed looking at Saga #1 up there and #25 is how Fiona Staples has improved over time. She was good then of course, and she's still not my favorite on backgrounds or large battle sequences, but her characters(which is the large focus of Saga) are so smooth and polished now. I'd post an example, but that issue just came out so lol.

Scribd is a pretty average reader app, read halfway through the first trade of The Woods by James Tynion IV and it was alright.

This Valiant library tho, is pretty much like MU, only like five months behind.

0_0

fauxtrot

Banned
Chip being Chip:

tumblr_njkydtA2ZA1qaotjto1_400.png

This book is going to be so gravy, baby.

Zombine

Banned
One thing I noticed looking at Saga #1 up there and #25 is how Fiona Staples has improved over time

Shit, when I got the hardcover I was reading the latest issue at the time, and just for the hell of it I held up the last page of the floppy to the first page of the first issue in the HC and I was blown away. We're getting close to Invincible levels of improvement (but never as bad.)

Shit, when I got the hardcover I was reading the latest issue at the time, and just for the hell of it I held up the last page of the floppy to the first page of the first issue in the HC and I was blown away. We're getting close to Invincible levels of improvement (but never as bad.)

That isn't even a fair comparison. Ottley is godlike at this point.

omgkitty

I know he doesn't do Invincible any more, but I love Cory Walker's work now too. Every time he does a guest issue I think it looks outstanding, especially compared to his original issues. I love the Super Girl designs he did:

supgirl.jpg

Messi

I know he doesn't do Invincible any more, but I love Cory Walker's work now too. Every time he does a guest issue I think it looks outstanding, especially compared to his original issues.

I stopped after the first 5 issues. The art was really bleh.

Going through the bookshelf. My wife was into graphic novels before I even met her. She actually brought a hefty collection to our shelfs before I got into them. I'm gonna name some of the books that caught my eye and see if you guys recognize any of them and if I should read them.

Black Hole by Charles Burns
Blankets by Craig Thompson
Box Office Poison by Alex Robinson
A Complete Lowlife by Ed Brubaker
Demo by Brian Wood and Becky Cloonan
Epileptic by David B.
The Hive by Charles Burns
Stitches by David Small
Sloth by Gilbert Hernandez
Pixu The Mark of Evil by Gabriel Ba and Cloonan

here ya go ElNarez

of note, future projects by Spurrier include another book with him and Stokeley from Six Gun Gorilla

Then there's a new series with BOOM! Studios, co-created with my favorite pencil-goblin Jeff Stokely. We put out "Six-Gun Gorilla" together last year which has been a huge success -- got nominated for three Harvey Awards, etc. You should definitely check it out if you haven't already, it's nothing like the title would lead you to expect -- and our new series is essentially a distillation of all the things we adore. That is: weirdness, whimsy, ass-kicking she-cops, impossible creatures and mind-bending worlds. It's looking so, so good.

Even if you don't like his books, Si Spurrier interviews are always entertaining

fauxtrot

Banned
Going through the bookshelf. My wife was into graphic novels before I even met her. She actually brought a hefty collection to our shelfs before I got into them. I'm gonna name some of the books that caught my eye and see if you guys recognize any of them and if I should read them.

Epileptic by David B.
Stitches by David Small

Black Hole is one of my favorite comics of all time, but it's definitely not for everyone. With that said, give it a shot! Blankets, Box Office Poison, Lowlife, and Sloth a great too... I haven't read the rest. Your lady has awesome taste, man!

Epileptic by David B.
Stitches by David Small

Black Hole (or anything by Charles Burns), and Blankets for sure.

tim1138

Epileptic by David B.
Stitches by David Small
Pick The Mark of Evil by Gabriel Ba and Cloonan

Black Hole is one of the most fucked up things I've ever read, I've honestly never even finished it. Everyone should read Blankets at some point.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
I really enjoyed Black Hole, but haven't read it in years. May be time for a reread. It's the epitome of dark at points, from what I recall.

Blankets, however, is one of my top ten pieces of literature/art and is totally heartwarming and real without being grossly sentimental, I feel. The art is fucking phenomenal, and it's a great gateway book for people who have only walked by the "comics/graphic novel" section at their local barnes and nobles and farted in the general direction of the books.

Epileptic by David B.
Stitches by David Small

Blankets is a no brainer. The only other one i've read here is Demo and i thought it is worth a read.

Also made a couple IST orders to workoff my IST queue. I can't believe i bought the New frontier again!

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Why is Manapul wasting his talents on Detective Comics with Buccelagepetto? Wish he was on Green Lantern sans Venditti.....

Manapaul should be drawing miss marvel. Or Spide-rman

Manapul could do some cool things on GL. I'm guessing we'd get some ridiculously amazing construct designs.

Sadly, his sack-of-shit partner, Bouchebag, is weighing him down heavily. Their Flash and Detective runs are fucking trash and DC loves to let artists who can't write reduce big-name titles to pretty dogshit.

I'm praying to the Old/New gods that Pat Gleason can write well. I'm sure he's got Tomasi Obi-Wanning him, but I don't want to see him go down the same road so many great DC artists flop down.

Also, to counteract that negativity, Johns/Manapul's Boy of Steel is just pure great comics:

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
This Infinity: Heist mini series is fun, more villain centric books pls

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Have you heard the good word about The Superior Foes of Spider-Man?

I've said many times I think it's amazing :(

I still don't know what happened with your meeting btw

Top Bottom