• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| February 2015. No ship girls. Oh, we got a Tank Girl though!

Just a PSA but you can get a free month on Scribd's service if you're interested in their new comic subscription service.

There's a ton of good shit on there. First 41 issues of TMNT, a bunch of Daredevil, I think all of Ultimate Spider-Man?, Runaways, etc.

edit: I see someone already mentioned the free month while I wasn't looking! A credit card is required to sign up.

Recently, I've been trying to get into comics (or get back into after reading some books sporadically over the years) after dabbling in the Comixology app, and I was curious to see if I could get some recommendations from you guys.

I'm mainly interested in sole books or runs that experiment with paneling, coloring, and other aspects that play into the strengths of the medium. While I've heard certain Batman entries, like The Dark Knight Returns, be considered examples of that, I can't actually speak from experience of any that I've read. I even have that book on my wishlist because of that praise.

I'm game for any genre or art style, though I'm more intrigued with getting into some work outside of the cape stuff at the moment. However, I can be persuaded! I recently picked up the first volumes of Casanova and Sex Criminals during that recent CMX sale, since it seems like Matt Fraction's work is a must read.

In the past I've enjoyed:
- The first 3 Vol. Runaway's run
- Scott Pilgrim
- Seconds

Most recently I read and enjoyed the first issue of Bitch Planet and would like to continue that as well as try DeConnick's other stuff like her Captain Marvel stuff. Also, I'm currently reading the Power Girl: Power Trip book as I have a huge soft spot for Amanda Conner's art.

Sorry if this is a jumbled request, but I'm a little intimidated with how to get on the ground running with comics. I want to strike while the fiery interest is hot!

Sounds like you want Hawkeye by Matt Fraction, David Aja, etc

Away from PC but I'll post more later

Recently, I've been trying to get into comics (or get back into after reading some books sporadically over the years) after dabbling in the Comixology app, and I was curious to see if I could get some recommendations from you guys.

I'm mainly interested in sole books or runs that experiment with paneling, coloring, and other aspects that play into the strengths of the medium. While I've heard certain Batman entries, like The Dark Knight Returns, be considered examples of that, I can't actually speak from experience of any that I've read. I even have that book on my wishlist because of that praise.

I'm game for any genre or art style, though I'm more intrigued with getting into some work outside of the cape stuff at the moment. However, I can be persuaded! I recently picked up the first volumes of Casanova and Sex Criminals during that recent CMX sale, since it seems like Matt Fraction's work is a must read.

- Scott Pilgrim
- Seconds

Most recently I read and enjoyed the first issue of Bitch Planet and would like to continue that as well as try DeConnick's other stuff like her Captain Marvel stuff. Also, I'm currently reading the Power Girl: Power Trip book as I have a huge soft spot for Amanda Conner's art.

Sorry if this is a jumbled request, but I'm a little intimidated with how to get on the ground running with comics. I want to strike while the fiery interest is hot!

You like Amanda Conner? Hello new friend.

Read Hawkeye as JC already suggested. Daredevil by Mark Waid and Superior Foes of Spider-Man are good choices as well.

Zombine

Banned
Buying books, on a Tuesday.
IST updated and I think I'll choose 3.

GIF-Dancing-Bill-Hader-boogie-dance-pelvic-thrust-white-people-GIF.gif

ReAxion

- Scott Pilgrim
- Seconds

https://imagecomics.com/comics/series/pretty-deadly

To get started, you just jump right in. You're already doing it!

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Alien 5 probably happening, Spider-Man in the MCU, what a day, this cant be real.
I am a little bit afraid that I wake up and this glorious day was just a dream.

Boogiepop

Just a PSA but you can get a free month on Scribd's service if you're interested in their new comic subscription service.

There's a ton of good shit on there. First 41 issues of TMNT, a bunch of Daredevil, I think all of Ultimate Spider-Man?, Runaways, etc.

edit: I see someone already mentioned the free month while I wasn't looking! A credit card is required to sign up.

Since they apparently have Archie stuff on there... is there Sonic stuff? If so that'd be a nice way for me to burn through the crap issues without having to pay for them...

Since they apparently have Archie stuff on there... is there Sonic stuff? If so that'd be a nice way for me to burn through the crap issues without having to pay for them...

Just checked and I didn't see any Sonic stuff unfortunately

Still worth at least a free month trial. 41 issues of TMNT and 35 issues of Transformers MTMTE? This is amazing.

Define "hope-filled". This term confuses me.

Imagine, if you will, the idea that you want to define what a hero really is. You might say it's the willingness and desire to do good, to help people. DC has traditionally been more of this approach than Marvel; symbols that stand for something, Gods among men. New Frontier takes this and adds another layer of pure, simple joy, that being a super hero is kind of awesome. It's set during the late 50s, early 60s, against the backdrop of the Cold War. Even this time period can't stop them. Whereas something like Watchmen goes down the cynical, human route, New Frontier looks above and beyond. It's about the Trinity becoming a beacon for a new generation of heroes.

Most of all you just have a big, dumb, goofy grin at Darwyn Cooke's art.

What are Leia's character traits?

She kisses her brother.

arkon

Imagine, if you will, the idea that you want to define what a hero really is. You might say it's the willingness and desire to do good, to help people. DC has traditionally been more of this approach than Marvel; symbols that stand for something, Gods among men. New Frontier takes this and adds another layer of pure, simple joy, that being a super hero is kind of awesome. It's set during the late 50s, early 60s, against the backdrop of the Cold War. Even this time period can't stop them. Whereas something like Watchmen goes down the cynical, human route, New Frontier looks above and beyond. It's about the Trinity becoming a beacon for a new generation of heroes.

Most of all you just have a big, dumb, goofy grin at Darwyn Cooke's art.

Yeah. This is what I meant to type on the previous page.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
How come no one else is discussing this? I don't know how to react.

is this about Leia and Luke? were you frozen in a iceblock like Captain America or something? The incest jokes about it are legion

Boogiepop

Just checked and I didn't see any Sonic stuff unfortunately

Still worth at least a free month trial. 41 issues of TMNT and 35 issues of Transformers MTMTE? This is amazing.

Dang. Thanks for checking though. And yeah, those are definitely things people should check out as they're awesome (though I'm sticking to trades for those myself). I'll try to make sure I check it out later though, as I'm sure I'll find something I want to read on there...

- Scott Pilgrim
- Seconds

I'm gonna recommend a few things that I think are

-Good
-Accessible
-on CMX

ok so, Hawkeye by Matt Fraction, David Aja, Annie Wu, Matt Hollingsworth, etc

hawkeye_example_3.jpg

No other superhero comic is experimenting with form and function the wayHawkeye's been doing these last few years. Compression and decompression, coloring and lettering, panel arrangements and staging, etc. Its a really good series, and the final issue should be coming out soon(ayy lmao)

Saga by Brian K. Vaughn and Fiona Staples

saga_example.jpg

You probably heard of this one, as the trades are always selling to non-comic readers, but Saga is a space fantasy that starts off focusing on two star-crossed lovers and their new child(above), but eventually branches out to focus on an ensemble of great characters from across the cosmos. And no matter what wacky thing Brian K Vaughn comes up with, Fiona Staples always make it look natural and accessible, with BKV's dialog always makes them relatable and likable. There's a 99% chance you'll like this a lot. Its an ongoing, it takes breaks every six months so Fiona can keep drawing them with no fill-ins, and the 25th issue just came out last week.

Daredevil by Mark Waid, Paolo Rivera, Marcos Martin, Chris Samnee, Javier Rodriguez, etc

Daredevil_01_0006.jpg

You can get all this info straight off the first page, but Daredevil is a superhero/lawyer mostly operating out of New York City. He was blinded by a radioactive mutagen, but like all readioactive mutagen, it grants you superpowers! To compensate for the lost of his eyes, all his other senses are godlike(sound, taste, touch, smell). He has this kind of radar sense, like echolocation, thats how he sees the world in that bottom panel above. Anyway, its a great superhero comic. Tight pacing, witty and humanistic, great storytelling by Waid and his small collection of artists. Inventive usage of sound effects, colors, panel choices, etc. Its currently around 50 issues across both volumes, and is wrapping up sometime this year.

We3 by Grant Morrison and Frank Quitely

We3%201.JPG

we3-cat-panels.jpg

We3 is like Homeward Bound injected with a Hollywood blockbuster budget. Its about 3 pet animals(1 the Dog, 2 the Cat, and 3 the Bunny) who have been reprogrammed as killing machines by the government(why use humans when you can use animals right), escaped capture and on the run. Its one of the tightest things Morrison has ever written, to the point where he can convey characterization and a complex range of emotions with a few key words, letters, or symbols. Frank Quitely is his artistic partner, who as you can see is on some next level shit. But its not just the inventive stuff, its his body language, the features on his characters, the attention to detail he displays on every page. He's the best storyteller in the business. Its a 3-issue miniseries that's as violent as it is sweet, and if you don't feel SOMETHING by the end of this, you're officially dead inside.

Batman: Mad Love by Paul Dini, Bruce Timm, and Rick Taylor

mad_love_example.jpg

Probably my single favorite comic ever. Its an origin story for Harley Quinn that manages the tricky balance of being hilarious but also tragic and affecting. There's a light hearted nature to Dini/Timm's work that plays against the darker elements of psychotic clowns and the abusive relationships they form with damaged women. And its got the best Batman vs Joker fight put to paper.

So that's five that I would really recommend to you. As for Dark Knight Returns, its wonderful, but its like...master level Batman. Like Watchmen, I never really recommend it to people until they're more familiar with "normal" superheroes. That way the juxtaposition between them and Watchmen/DKR will have more of an impact. BUT Batman: Year One is absolutely great and accessible as well, so I recommend that too if you weren't sick of Batman/cape comic stuff here.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
brah you can read 41 issues of TMNT for free for a month right now, it's time to embrace the digital future
Oh shit, that's tempting. I'll tell you guys when I cave, but I'm pretty fucking stubborn, and love holding and hoarding my overpriced floppy literature.

Top Bottom