• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| February 2015. No ship girls. Oh, we got a Tank Girl though!

Gonna do a Rhaknar style reading of the Valiant Universe thanks to this Scribd stuff.

Is there a recommended reading order or anything like that?

Nope each book is self contained. The crossovers take place from each book perceptive

I recomed archer and Armstrong first, harbinger, bloodshot and x-o manowar and quantum and woody

Whats a Rhaknar style reading? Lol
It's when you binge comics hard.

also,
VT02pnj.jpg

Dalek

there are a lot of good little sight gags like that spreadout the book. Like the clubs at the college

What's in the box? club pulling hella members

shoutout to Gamergate making an appearance

I like the Social Justice club being next to the Social Injustice Club.

A lot of my library holds came in today. I thought 1602 was very average, hope this Gaiman cape book is better.
Yeaah I remember 1602 got a lot of hype but it turned out to just be...OK. Kind of disappointing coming from Gaiman.

Whatever happened to the caped crusader was good. He basically did what Morrison did on Batman but in way fewer issues.

yo, time to get rid of my paperback and upgrade to the deluxe version of the only Harley Quinn book anybody needs on their bookshelf.
Aww yisss I was just about to buy the paperback but the deluxe will be nice. There are a few other Batman: TAS type books right? I gotta get them.
Going through the bookshelf. My wife was into graphic novels before I even met her. She actually brought a hefty collection to our shelfs before I got into them. I'm gonna name some of the books that caught my eye and see if you guys recognize any of them and if I should read them.

Black Hole by Charles Burns
Blankets by Craig Thompson
Box Office Poison by Alex Robinson
A Complete Lowlife by Ed Brubaker
Demo by Brian Wood and Becky Cloonan
Epileptic by David B.
The Hive by Charles Burns
Stitches by David Small
Sloth by Gilbert Hernandez
Pixu The Mark of Evil by Gabriel Ba and Cloonan
Good lady you have there. I haven't read most of those but Black Hole is legit. It's pretty weird but I loved it.

Then don't read Uzumaki.
I have Uzumaki vol 1 sitting unread on my shelf. Bought it on a whim. *sigh* I have so many unread comics

Cheska

Has anyone else noticed a lot of titles releasing much more quickly? Looking at this week/next week and we already have another Thor, Ms. Marvel, Spider-Woman, Bitch Planet, etc. I know Marvel has historically double shipped a ton of items, but I don't remember them being lesser known titles.

Has anyone else noticed a lot of titles releasing much more quickly? Looking at this week/next week and we already have another Thor, Ms. Marvel, Spider-Woman, Bitch Planet, etc. I know Marvel has historically double shipped a ton of items, but I don't remember them being lesser known titles.

Another Bitch Planet is not a thing to complain about.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face

There's another Bitch Planet so soon? Fuck, it's like Hanukkah again!

I don't think Thor's double-shipping? #1 - sept 29, #2 - Nov 17th, #3 - Dec 11, Thor #4 - Jan 30th

I guess the gaps in time there makes #4 and #5 seem pretty close. Dauterman isn't drawing #5, and I guess they wanted to spread out the Thor releases, since CM PUNK'S debut comic superstar comic releases on the 22nd

barrin87

Comics Gaf is seriously a plague on my bank account. Adding Blankets and The New Frontier to my soon to purchase list.

Finished reading Seconds today and really enjoyed it. I got The Sculptor in the mail today so I'll be starting that soon.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Has any hero ever been in a relationship with a villain? Like Batman will flirt with Catwoman but where they ever involved for realsies? Like "honey you don't tell me about your day, I don't tell you about mine". I guess Spidey and Black Cat but again, that wasn't really a relationship. Nor are Black Cat or Catwoman villains in the classic sense.

Comics Gaf is seriously a plague on my bank account. Adding Blankets and The New Frontier to my soon to purchase list.

Finished reading Seconds today and really enjoyed it. I got The Sculptor in the mail today so I'll be starting that soon.

Wait till you have a backlog as big as mine

And now I'm trying this Scribd thing... I'll never finish anything :(

At least you're spending your money on quality comics. Imagine the horror without our stream great recommendations!

Has any hero ever been in a relationship with a villain? Like Batman will flirt with Catwoman but where they ever involved for realsies? Like "honey you don't tell me about your day, I don't tell you about mine". I guess Spidey and Black Cat but again, that wasn't really a relationship. Nor are Black Cat or Catwoman villains in the classic sense.

Not like long-term, either the hero stops corrupting his morals or the villain comes over to the side of good. Or switches over like Terra in Teen Titans(spoilers)

Guess the closet you can get is Talia/Bruce Wayne, and Typhoid Mary/Daredevil

So what would be the best recommendations for someone who thinks the Daredevil Bendis/Brubaker run is amazing (not a rare opinion I know). I'm a fan of the more personal stories and street level nature. I hear Alias is good, any others?

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
I know I shouldn't place an order this week, but fuuuuuck I want both of those

That's exactly how I feel. I want them, but at the same time I don't want to spend any more money right now and I already have way more comics than I can read. Can't really justify it.

yo, time to get rid of my paperback and upgrade to the deluxe version of the only Harley Quinn book anybody needs on their bookshelf.

Okay, fine, I'll take your paperback then.
Is it bad that I've never read a comic with Harley in it?

Black Hole is one of the most fucked up things I've ever read, I've honestly never even finished it.

This is 100% exactly what I was going to type. Are you me.
I've been tempted to grab it from the library again to give it another try and attempt read the whole thing, but I don't think I could handle it. Haha

I have assumed the omnibus position. This chapter is messed. You can tell Grant Morrison has what I would call an "ego trip". Where you meet your ego and it does not want to accept that it is not a separate entity.

This is Doom Patrol in a nutshell. It's themes.

High five on utilizing the omnibus position.
Also, that issue was screwing with my head so much. It's so confusing and disorienting in exactly the right way. Brilliant stuff.

sara pezzini and jackie estacado(kinda)

rsz_2rsz_12233677-artifacts13_0005_copy.jpg

Cheska

Not like long-term, either the hero stops corrupting his morals or the villain comes over to the side of good. Or switches over like Terra in Teen Titans(spoilers)

Guess the closet you can get is Talia/Bruce Wayne, and Typhoid Mary/Daredevil

Actually would you say (Batman Grant Morrison spoiler)
Batman and Jezebel
would fit in this category?

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Okay, fine, I'll take your paperback then.
Is it bad that I've never read a comic with Harley in it?

Haha--nah, it's completely fine that you haven't read one. Seriously though, just read Mad Love--it's not only the best Harley Quinn story (by, like, guillions of miles), but it's also just an impeccable Batman/Joker/TAS-like story. Most other stories featuring her just feel like goofy, shallow impressions of the character Dini and Timm crafted perfectly in this book and the show.

headshot95

Neo Member
Have any of you guys ever ordered books from barnes and noble? I can get barnes and noble gift cards through my credit card reward points and I was just wondering if anybody has any experience with them? I mean, they can't package their books any worse than Amazon right....?

Thinking about grabbing the Stumptown hardcovers with next week's IST order. I forgot to order the X-Men Supernovas TPB with this week's, and I've been waiting to order it for like, a month. I'm such a dummy.

As to what I DID order...

Atomic Robo Vol.9
Lost Girls
Bang Tango
Batwoman Vol.5

Freezie is such a perv.

frye

i mean like i know of there's some really fucked up shit out there but i can at least kinda imagine some fucked up person jerking it

i honestly cannot imagine the kind of person who would -- not even jerk off -- let's just say be AROUSED by Lost Girls

literally inconceivable to me

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
So here I am reading Infinity tie-ins when I come across a book called Fearless Defenders, and who's in it? Nextwave's own motherfucking Elsa Bloodstone o_O

fertygo

So what would be the best recommendations for someone who thinks the Daredevil Bendis/Brubaker run is amazing (not a rare opinion I know). I'm a fan of the more personal stories and street level nature. I hear Alias is good, any others?

Lemire's run of Green Arrow.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Have any of you guys ever ordered books from barnes and noble? I can get barnes and noble gift cards through my credit card reward points and I was just wondering if anybody has any experience with them? I mean, they can't package their books any worse than Amazon right....?

I've ordered comics from Barnes & Noble twice. The books are packaged pretty loosely in a cardboard box. So basically, don't order anything heavy (AKA stick to paperbacks) and you'll probably be okay. I ordered some hardcovers once and got one with a corner that was pretty messed up. But I ordered three Hellblazer TPBs (which are super light because they've got that Vertigo newspaper paperstock) and they were perfectly fine. So yeah, I'd suggest ordering some TPBs with your gift cards. Plus their TPB prices are pretty good online, almost the same as IST. Their hardcover and omnibus prices are significantly higher than IST prices though.

Bloodember

Yes, I have, bought six books back in DEC when they had the buy two get one free sale. They're packing is like Amazon's, put in a box with packing material, no other means of protection. I had some damaged corners, but nothing that wouldn't happen from regular use.

PsychBat!

Banned
I don't know, some HCs I've seen had some pretty bent corners. The TPBs actually are in surprisingly good condition.

Started Busiek's run on Avengers and even though I'm really early on I'm enjoying it quite a bit. Outside of Uncanny and bits of Bendis Avengers, I basically have zero experience with the Avengers so it's pretty fun to read a big superhero team book. The dialogue is making it really enjoyable, everyone is so lively!

headshot95

Neo Member
I've ordered comics from Barnes & Noble twice. The books are packaged pretty loosely in a cardboard box. So basically, don't order anything heavy (AKA stick to paperbacks) and you'll probably be okay. I ordered some hardcovers once and got one with a corner that was pretty messed up. But I ordered three Hellblazer TPBs (which are super light because they've got that Vertigo newspaper paperstock) and they were perfectly fine. So yeah, I'd suggest ordering some TPBs with your gift cards. Plus their TPB prices are pretty good online, almost the same as IST. Their hardcover and omnibus prices are significantly higher than IST prices though.
Yes, I have, bought six books back in DEC when they had the buy two get one free sale. They're packing is like Amazon's, put in a box with packing material, no other means of protection. I had some damaged corners, but nothing that wouldn't happen from regular use.
I don't know, some HCs I've seen had some pretty bent corners. The TPBs actually are in surprisingly good condition.

Thanks for the help guys. Sounds like I will be ordering some paperbacks whenever I decide to place the order. There TBP prices are pretty fair but I think when it comes to hardcovers I'll just stick to IST

Started Busiek's run on Avengers and even though I'm really early on I'm enjoying it quite a bit. Outside of Uncanny and bits of Bendis Avengers, I basically have zero experience with the Avengers so it's pretty fun to read a big superhero team book. The dialogue is making it really enjoyable, everyone is so lively!

Such a classic run, can't wait for the omnibus. It's like the ultimate run of comics from my younger years.

That and the Annihilation Conquest omnis in the next few months...oh baby.

Such a classic run, can't wait for the omnibus. It's like the ultimate run of comics from my younger years.

That and the Annihilation Conquest omnis in the next few months...oh baby.

Yeah I can see why it's so highly praised. It's really good fun so far.

I think I may just keep the subscription to scribd after my free month. If they can properly update and keep up with the library this is going to be a great service. Wish DC and Image were on it too, but between Marvel, Valiant, and IDW I'm pretty damn satisfied at the moment.

still my favorite Avengers run ever. The Last arc is soooo epic

Rhaknar

What issues / year would that Avengers run be (to see if it's up on MU)?

Owzers

Darth Vader #1 tomorrow.
Who's willing to shell out 4.99 for it?
sillymonkey

i'm one of those people hoping the Star Wars books come to Marvel Unlimited because $4.999999999...and because i don't trust those books to be good for any length of time.

Top Bottom