• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| February 2015. No ship girls. Oh, we got a Tank Girl though!

Good interview with BKV about The Private Eye. Confirms last issue comes out this month, and he and Marcos got another mini-series in the pipeline.

Very good comic, you can get it digitally for whatever price you're willing to pay, even free.

What else is in the pipeline?
Saga is ongoing at Image still. That will hopefully keep going forever. I'm finishing The Private Eye with Marcos, and he and I will do one more, probably a new miniseries. I have the privilege of getting to work in Hollywood for a couple of years, and it's been an adventure, but mostly what it's taught me is that I love comics.

Can you ever imagine handing Saga over to another writer?

No, no, never. No. That's my baby, I would cling to that forever, and similarly I couldn't imagine doing that with anyone else but Fiona Staples drawing it. We'd like to keep doing it for a really long time.

Any dream projects?
I will say that anything that I do next will be original. I got to play with my favorite toys when I worked at Marvel and DC. I've written Superman and Spider-Man and X-Men and that's all been great, but I don't have any characters that I ache to get back to. No books that I've always wanted to adapt. It'll be new, and about something that creeps me out. Stay tuned.

The Private Eye 's tenth and final issue will be out in February.

If JC is our John Connor, then who is Kyle Reese?
B7AOVcICIAADzQ5.jpg
What book is this?

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
These last few issues of hickmans F4/FF are a bit of a drag, he should have ended his run when the reed saga ended tbh. Oh well only a couple of issues of each book left now anyway

Don't know if I asked here already but what's up with the frothing hate for the new Thor that's bad enough to the point that most places I go call her "Whor"?

Well thats classy. Personally, I wouln't be on a board where people don't get called out for being so obviously sexist and jouvenille.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Have you read
the Thing issue where Reed travels in to the future to see his friend grow old?
That's not a drag, man.

Yeah that was right after the saga and I almost consider it a part of it, I liked it. And it was being harsh anyway these issues are fine... it gave us that amazing drunk Peter issue afterall, and i just read this aswell:

It's the third or fourth time in Hickman's run where Spidey says some dumb thing and the whole room just stares at him :p

Edit: also blackbolt is a dick

A Hickman Spider-Man run or mini series is a dream of mine.

Pretty much the worst thing to come from Superior was that we were robbed of Hickman writing Spidey in the Avengers apart from the "We have money." scene, and his SpOck wasn't great TBH. I did like the scene where he ate Sunspot or Cannonball's lunch though.

A Hickman Spidey mini would be great. Battling the villains of New York with SCIENCE~!

Spider Woman works great as a foil or together w/ other heroes. I really like her in Secret Avengers and early New Avengers. But I can't be less interested in her solo book or even a possible MCU appearance. The old and new costumes don't help at all.

Also, I just have my subscriptions bookmarked and automatically subscribe to whatever I post. That's the best way to GAF.

I think that sones up my feelings on her too. She worked really well with Jessica jones and Luke cage in new avengers. Solo though? No thanks. Greg land? No thanks.

I think that sones up my feelings on her too. She worked really well with Jessica jones and Luke cage in new avengers. Solo though? No thanks. Greg land? No thanks.

I'm not looking forward to that Land art being part of my Spider-Verse Omnibus. £17 though.

I am going to try the series with the new artist, but I am that one guy that likes Hopeless. He still has a lot of goodwill with me after Avengers Arena, and a lot of the problems with Undercover weren't really his fault (he lost 6 issues, then another 2 because of declining sales, and he lost Kev Walker to Hickman after #7).

A part of me says that a Hickman Spider-Man Mini would work out better, but another part of me remembers that some of the best parts of his F4/FF run were the parts that dealt with family. That's why that run is one of my favorites. As awesome as this Avengers/New Avengers run has been, in the end it doesn't have the warmth that his F4 run had. A part of me feels like he wouldn't work very well on an extended Spidey run, but maybe he could, if he could bring in some of that warmth which would very much be needed.

Rhaknar

I love the service but goddamn the MU app is such a piece of shit

tim1138

To combine the earlier talk of Mark Waid and the recent talk of the Fantastic Four, I give you my favorite FF story ever: the Fantastic Four meet God (who happens to be Jack Kirby)

img_2462.jpg

Rhaknar

My biggest wish for it is that it would remember what comics you've read based on your login. How hard can it be to add that tag?

I wish the "recently read" section extended to everything you read, because I'm curious how much I read in this month or so I've had it

It was a lot o_O

Sou Da

A part of me says that a Hickman Spider-Man Mini would work out better, but another part of me remembers that some of the best parts of his F4/FF run were the parts that dealt with family. That's why that run is one of my favorites. As awesome as this Avengers/New Avengers run has been, in the end it doesn't have the warmth that his F4 run had. A part of me feels like he wouldn't work very well on an extended Spidey run, but maybe he could, if he could bring in some of that warmth which would very much be needed.

If editorial finally lets Peter grow up and a get proper job and family responsibilities it could be pretty great. Though I think I'd rather he do something with Pym.

Just saw on tumblr that there was going to be a Final Fantasy comic by Busiek with covers by Mignola. Not into the series but that's pretty crazy.

Rhaknar

"I was a God...I found it beneath me"

Cookie for the first person that guesses who said that

Not that it's hard lol

Just saw on tumblr that there was going to be a Final Fantasy comic by Busiek with covers by Mignola. Not into the series but that's pretty crazy.
There was a comics alliance piece on that (or maybe CBR?). Apparently, it was right before both guys hit it big. I think it was Marvels and Hellboy that debuted a year after it was supposed to happen

In theory I liked the high school teacher thing, but I don't think it really worked like the Daily Bugle did. From a serial storytelling point of view, not only did it have good supporting cast members like Jonah, Robbie, and Betty, but it also gave Peter an excuse to get into dangerous, exciting situations. Lizard tearing up the fair? JJ tells Peter to get out and take pictures! He can come and go as he pleases, too, which is perfect for his character.

In school, Peter doesn't have any reason to leave unless they have a lot of field trips. He's gotta stay there, and unless they get school shootings all the time, not a lot of superhero danger around, either.

The Horizon Labs thing mostly works for the same reason Daily Bugle did. Fun supporting cast, always attract dangerous/exciting situations, and Peter can come and go as he pleases. It also takes advantage of Peter's intellect in a way the Daily Bugle never could.

Holy shit this Katy Perry performance is straight birdie tier

Peter struggling to make ends meet is best Peter.

Oh god no! We've had enough of that peter for fucks sake. He personally know some of the richest and most powerful people on the planet and has saved their lives multiple times.

Why the fuck should Peter Parker be struggling to pay bills?

Then again why the fuck did he sale his marriage to the devil?

Rhaknar

And done with Hickman's F4/FF. Not much else to say that I haven't said in the thread as I read it, it was fantastic (no pun intended) and pretty much lived up to the hype you guys gave it. Hickman's insane style of story telling makes me excited to start his Avengers stuff, especially if he's given the same free reign he was obviously given on F4. Thread suggestions continues to be batting a thousand, but then again I'm easy to please.

Now, I need something different and random. Maybe this Superior Carnage mini or something

Sou Da

In theory I liked the high school teacher thing, but I don't think it really worked like the Daily Bugle did. From a serial storytelling point of view, not only did it have good supporting cast members like Jonah, Robbie, and Betty, but it also gave Peter an excuse to get into dangerous, exciting situations. Lizard tearing up the fair? JJ tells Peter to get out and take pictures! He can come and go as he pleases, too, which is perfect for his character.

In school, Peter doesn't have any reason to leave unless they have a lot of field trips. He's gotta stay there, and unless they get school shootings all the time, not a lot of superhero danger around, either.

The Horizon Labs thing mostly works for the same reason Daily Bugle did. Fun supporting cast, always attract dangerous/exciting situations, and Peter can come and go as he pleases. It also takes advantage of Peter's intellect in a way the Daily Bugle never could.

I feel that you could create a pretty great recurring cast of teachers and school staff and have a new occasional down to earth problem that Peter can help kids with every now and then. Depending on who you get Peter to teach, you can create some cool intellectual dilemmas for him as well, having his students challenge him.

I just really enjoyed the JMS status quo and I find most of the Horizon staff unlikeable and cringeworthy, him getting the super-science job at all at this point in his life feels like fanfiction to me.

If editorial finally lets Peter grow up and a get proper job and family responsibilities it could be pretty great. Though I think I'd rather he do something with Pym.

I'd love to see Peter mature and "have it together". Obviously editorial thinks differently though. I don't know why, they have Miles for all the puberty learning experience retreads.

frye

Yeah, I never thought the teacher thing really worked. A great idea but it's too constrained by the everyday reality of being a teacher (like in that Millar/Dodson Marvel Knights thing where he just straight up takes a month off of school, wtf)

Also Katy Perry had a robot lion, singing sharks and Missy Elliot so it's all right in my book

I'd love to see Peter mature and "have it together". Obviously editorial thinks differently though. I don't know why, they have Miles for all the puberty learning experience retreads.

I'm hoping they recon the One more Day nonsense, and bring Miles and teenage Spider-Gwen over to 616.

Let Peter be an Adult and mentor the next generation of spider.

Sou Da

Yeah, I never thought the teacher thing really worked. A great idea but it's too constrained by the everyday reality of being a teacher (like in that Millar/Dodson Marvel Knights thing where he just straight up takes a month off of school, wtf)

Also Katy Perry had a robot lion, singing sharks and Missy Elliot so it's all right in my book

As a substitute can't he do that?

Top Bottom