• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| February 2015. No ship girls. Oh, we got a Tank Girl though!

Started Busiek's run on Avengers and even though I'm really early on I'm enjoying it quite a bit. Outside of Uncanny and bits of Bendis Avengers, I basically have zero experience with the Avengers so it's pretty fun to read a big superhero team book. The dialogue is making it really enjoyable, everyone is so lively!

As a kid reading comics, this was the first avengers series I ever read, started right at the beginning, it was the perfect introduction to the team, those first couple issues with a ton of Avengers are so good, very nostalgic for me.

You are a true hero
No prob. Late 90s, early 2000s was a great time for comics. Both sides started getting their act together and the Indy scene really started to emerge. You had Morrison on JLA, and Marvel countered with Busiek/Perez on Avengers after heroes reborn. then Waid on Cap, The bat family line was firing on all cylinders with Dixon on the family books, Rucka and Brubaker on the main books, etc.

Fuck yes! Just read the last page of Doom Patrol. That was one of the best endings to a story ever! Masterclass story telling. Burning house, can only grab one book. This is it. If there was an apocalyptic event and a colony of survivors was underground for decades and when they finally went out and if this was the only book they found, it would make for a better society.

6a010536fa9ded970b01a3fd0f5b11970b-pi

Grant-Morrison.jpg

http://youtu.be/6K_A9rUs4Nc

Soundtrack to that last chapter.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Fuck yes! Just read the last page of Doom Patrol. That was one of the best endings to a story ever! Masterclass story telling. Burning house, can only grab one book. This is it. If there was an apocalyptic event and a colony of survivors was underground for decades and when they finally went out and if this was the only book they found, it would make for a better society.

DUDE. RIGHT!?
HOW ABOUT THAT LAST PAGE. DID THAT NOT SHATTER YOUR WHOLE UNIVERSE.

But seriously, the whole last 5-10 issues were just insane. You could tell things were just building up to a mindblowing ending.

Ah, fuck man. Scott McCloud's The Sculptor. Hit me with a feels-bomb at the end. Such a good story, even if the morale was a bit cliché
Cherish the time you have / enjoy life / don't take anything for granted
. I didn't plan to finish it tonight, but it was a very compelling read.

DUDE. RIGHT!?
HOW ABOUT THAT LAST PAGE. DID THAT NOT SHATTER YOUR WHOLE UNIVERSE.

But seriously, the whole last 5-10 issues were just insane. You could tell things were just building up to a mindblowing ending.

It gave me hope Kipp. The last page gave me hope.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
It gave me hope Kipp. The last page gave me hope.

The implications of that last issue were just...
I've said it before, but I literally stared at that last page for 10 minutes when I finished Doom Patrol. And then I had to go for a bike ride to get my head straightened out.

I'm so looking forward to re-reading Doom Patrol in a few months when it'll all be fresh to me again (silver lining of a terrible memory). Greatest ever.

The implications of that last issue were just...
I've said it before, but I literally stared at that last page for 10 minutes when I finished Doom Patrol. And then I had to go for a bike ride to get my head straightened out.

I'm so looking forward to re-reading Doom Patrol in a few months when it'll all be fresh to me again (silver lining of a terrible memory). Greatest ever.

I will re-read it with you. Bona Vada Doom Patrol.

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
As a kid reading comics, this was the first avengers series I ever read, started right at the beginning, it was the perfect introduction to the team, those first couple issues with a ton of Avengers are so good, very nostalgic for me.
I have the same experience basically, you can feel the love for the characters from Busiek and Perez. So good. That run also has one of the very best Ultron stories and the god-tier Avengers/JLA.

Tizoc

Went ahead and ordered this from IST
DC New Frontier Hardcover
Megaman Vol. 6-8

Gonna order Vol. 5, 9 and Worlds Collide later next month.

Dat Vol. 9 cover
61YrTIasNCL.jpg

Sigma isn't even a villain in this story, lol

Went ahead and ordered this from IST
DC New Frontier Hardcover
Megaman Vol. 6-8

Gonna order Vol. 5, 9 and Worlds Collide later next month.

Sigma isn't even a villain in this story, lol

Yo fuck that Boba Fett looking robot asshole. I remember trying to beat him over and over in X, I once lasted like 15 minutes against his invincible cheating ass dodging his dumb stun rings.

ReAxion

One thing I noticed looking at Saga #1 up there and #25 is how Fiona Staples has improved over time. She was good then of course, and she's still not my favorite on backgrounds or large battle sequences, but her characters(which is the large focus of Saga) are so smooth and polished now. I'd post an example, but that issue just came out so lol.

one thing she eventually departed from; in the last issue she made the character depicted on the right talk first

Anyone else reading The United States of Murder Inc.? (same guys from Powers)
This book has been awesome, This last issue ended the first arc and it was pretty friggin great.
Next story arc: The United States VS. Murder Inc.

I saw on IST there is a HC already coming out soon.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
How will that work? Like, will they be MCU movies? Are they dropping ASM continuity or just Garfield?

There was a follow up, that Sony delayed the Sinister Six movie and the female Team-Up didnt had a date anyway.

For me sounds this like they are canned but they wont admit it at this point.

Spidey in the MCU's better than nothing man.
I take my MCU over every Sony Spider-Man movie, espescially the Spin-Offs.

I'm so happy this book keeps sticking around and editorial is letting them do basically whatever they want.

It's hovering near cancellation range so it delights me that it's received a second lease on life with the relaunch. I do hope more people will give it a chance. That both you and I, whom have much different tastes, can find mutual love for this title should be testimony that it's such a fun book that more of you should be reading.

Cheebo

Banned
How has Messi STILL not seen Star Wars? Put down the comics and go watch the original trilogy now. It is impossible to be a functioning member of society when it comes to pop culture without seeing those. Not to mention Star Wars pretty much dominates comics so far in 2015 (Star Wars #2, Leia #1, and Vader #1 are all looking like 300k+ titles) and doesn't look to be slowing down any time soon.

Zombine

Banned
How has Messi STILL not seen Star Wars? Put down the comics and go watch the original trilogy now. It is impossible to be a functioning member of society when it comes to pop culture without seeing those. Not to mention Star Wars pretty dominates comics so far in 2015 (Star Wars #2, Leia #1, and Vader #1 are all looking like 300k+ titles).

Eh, I love Star Wars but it's never good to try and force someone to watch something they don't want to. He's probably more inclined to have a greater disdain toward the series if you try that. It's like a father trying to force his fat son to play sports or ride a bike.

Also, I've been loving the new Star Wars books but sales don't equal quality.

Messi

How has Messi STILL not seen Star Wars? Put down the comics and go watch the original trilogy now. It is impossible to be a functioning member of society when it comes to pop culture without seeing those. Not to mention Star Wars pretty much dominates comics so far in 2015 (Star Wars #2, Leia #1, and Vader #1 are all looking like 300k+ titles) and doesn't look to be slowing down any time soon.

It's pretty easy not to watch them and live in society. Also those numbers will drop crazy % once the hype dies.

Let's have a conversation in a few months when the variants aren't propping up the #1 craze. I've mentioned this before but Marvel's #1 to #2 and #2 to #3 drops are probably the worst in the industry with numbers to back it up.

You like Amanda Conner? Hello new friend.

Read Hawkeye as JC already suggested. Daredevil by Mark Waid and Superior Foes of Spider-Man are good choices as well.

Went ahead and added all of these to my wishlist. As soon as I checked out the cover of that first Daredevil Vol., I instantly recalled having seen pages of this run at some point in the past. Rivera's stark red and blacks are hard to forget.

And yeah, I adore Conner's art. It's something about how she draws lips and hair. I'll probably end up reading her Silk Spectre and New 52 Harley Quinn stuff because of her involvement.

https://imagecomics.com/comics/series/pretty-deadly

To get started, you just jump right in. You're already doing it!

A friend recommended this by name to me after starting Bitch Planet. Had no idea it was a western, so now that looks like my jam.

ok so, Hawkeye by Matt Fraction, David Aja, Annie Wu, Matt Hollingsworth, etc

Saga by Brian K. Vaughn and Fiona Staples

Daredevil by Mark Waid, Paolo Rivera, Marcos Martin, Chris Samnee, Javier Rodriguez, etc

We3 by Grant Morrison and Frank Quitely

Batman: Mad Love by Paul Dini, Bruce Timm, and Rick Taylor

So that's five that I would really recommend to you. As for Dark Knight Returns, its wonderful, but its like...master level Batman. Like Watchmen, I never really recommend it to people until they're more familiar with "normal" superheroes. That way the juxtaposition between them and Watchmen/DKR will have more of an impact. BUT Batman: Year One is absolutely great and accessible as well, so I recommend that too if you weren't sick of Batman/cape comic stuff here.

Oh man, this is greatly appreciated. You've sold me on the first three more than I already was. We3 looks and sounds so up my alley that I may just dive into that next. There's a lot of notable Batman history that I know I'd like to familiarize myself with, so Year One, and especially Mad Love, look like some great starters. Guess I've got some reading to do! I'll take your word on DKR and save it for a later time.

Dunbar

Darth Vader #1 tomorrow.
Who's willing to shell out 4.99 for it?
sillymonkey
Star Wars #1 and 2 been great fun so far, no reason I wouldn't check out Vader. I think that and Leia are miniseries anyway. Wonder if they'll get another ongoing started.

It's pretty easy not to watch them and live in society. Also those numbers will drop crazy % once the hype dies.
I've never watched the original Star Wars trilogy either. Don't really have an interest in them.

Might be more of an American thing. I can't say I know another Mexican who is a fan of Star Wars

Top Bottom