• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| February 2015. No ship girls. Oh, we got a Tank Girl though!

BOkvAll.jpg

New Suicide Squad.

Jeez Parasite and Black Hand? Team's going to be fucked up.

Wow. Black Hand is sort of slumming it these days.

ElNarez

Banned
[/IMG]http://i.imgur.com/BOkvAll.jpg[/IMG]

New Suicide Squad.

no

sorry

how are you fixated on this when

next arc the team fights ISIS

presumably, the ISIS from the news

this is gonna be a goddamn trainwreck of Frank Miller's Holy Terror proportions

The final cover for the Mastermen almost makes it seem Jim Lee was being shitty on purpose, or at least that it's always been the plan. CAN WE HANDLE A SMART DC COMICS I THINK WE CANT

Yeah, the pencil version of the cover was super meh. Lee is very reliant on his inker. One of the reasons I don't hold Lee as an artist in super high regard like most others.

Sou Da

BOkvAll.jpg

New Suicide Squad.

Wasn't Black Hand in the Source Wall? Could be interesting having him on a team that fears getting their heads blown off I suppose.

Yeah, the pencil version of the cover was super meh. Lee is very reliant on his inker. One of the reasons I don't hold Lee as an artist in super high regard like most others.

He's only worked well on covers and pinups, his interior art and designs are awful.

ElNarez

Banned
All the writers I'd want on Suicide Squad are at Marvel. I mean, shit, Spurrier just wrapped up his X-Force run and that was a goddamn brilliant comic with bits of political commentary, why can't we have that with literally my favorite super team?

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
The final cover for the Mastermen almost makes it seem Jim Lee was being shitty on purpose, or at least that it's always been the plan. CAN WE HANDLE A SMART DC COMICS I THINK WE CANT

This is like the only time I'm going to defend Jim Lee, but I really like that cover. Love the WW2 pamphlet feel to it and think the image is perfect for what the book is. I'm looking forward to this issue because even if the art isn't as great as previous Multiversity standards, the concept alone is fucking awesome, and each issue of Multiversity has been stellar.

E the Shaggy

no

sorry

how are you fixated on this when

next arc the team fights ISIS

presumably, the ISIS from the news

this is gonna be a goddamn trainwreck of Frank Miller's Holy Terror proportions

I actually hadn't read that text but yes, that's really dumb.

I'm sure there will be some text at the end of the story where the villains defeat ISIS and say something like, "WE'RE VILLAINS BUT WE'RE NOT THAT BAD!"

ElNarez

Banned
This is like the only time I'm going to defend Jim Lee, but I really like that cover. Love the WW2 pamphlet feel to it and think the image is perfect for what the book is. I'm looking forward to this issue because even if the art isn't as great as previous Multiversity standards, the concept alone is fucking awesome, and each issue of Multiversity has been stellar.

I love the imagery, and the idea is real smart, but, man, those pencils looked like shit.

Sou Da

I actually hadn't read that text but yes, that's really dumb.

I'm sure there will be some text at the end of the story where the villains defeat ISIS and say something like, "WE'RE VILLAINS BUT WE'RE NOT THAT BAD!"
Harley Quinn interacting with terrorists sounds like pure cringe.

NexusCell

Whelp, just read Spiderwoman 4 and AMS 14.

Spiderwoman was pretty bad, both in visuals and dialouge, but its Hopeless/Land, so my very low expectations were met.

As for AMS: It actually wasn't that bad as I though it would be,
no Spider's died, All the Inheritors got sent to the radiation world, and I got the opportunity to see SpiderHam naked, so......yeah. Still, it kind of abruptly ends, and I probably need to read the epilogue if I want an actual conclusion.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
It's awful N52 Reverse Flash from Booch/Manapul. It's
Iris West's brother

God, other than the Grodd story, that run was terrible.

My hopes were so high for that run, man. For like the first four issues, I'd open the floppy up excitedly, see the clever title page and Manapul's awesome art, but then I'd just be sucked down into the septic tank that is Boochstilleto's writing.

He's only worked well on covers and pinups, his interior art and designs are awful.
I've touched on a bit what I think of Lee's work in the past. He's really good at drawing certain things like splash pages and static poses. He's pretty consistent and his background are rarely sparse so he has all that going on for him.

But he's not really an interesting storyteller, his characters lack emotional range, his compositions are meh, and his style hasn't changed all that much for how long he's been around. I feel like I could name about 50 artists I think are better at the language of comics and are at least matched on drawing skill, so I wish other artists got half as much recognition or popularity as Lee gets.

I mean, he placed 6th on CBR's top 50 artists. Ahead of JH Williams and Mazzuchelli....

Filthy Slug

tim, this has to be shared with everybody. The title of this review is:

Library of Congress should preserve this as an important part of literary achievement!
This review is for Vol. 1,2, and 3. The reason I'm doing this is because they're all one big story. These first three volumes of The New 52 The Flash are everything superhero comics ought to strive to be!

The Story: On a scale of 1 to 10 I give it an eleven! The first volume has some awesome battles, and has amazing scenes and shows the hero still exploring his powers which is a huge plus in my book. It ends in a cliffhanger. Volume two really gets into the minds of Flash's most recurring villains and is vol. 2's crowning achievement. Volume 3 features amazing battles, the mastery of the power shown in volume 1, and features an amazing climax as the Flash faces his most dangerous villain yet!

The Art: If I had to give any comic book or graphic novel to someone who didn't believe comic books was real art, I'd give them these volumes. The art is exquisite, from page one of volume one to the last page of volume three! Manapul never misses a beat! The way that each issue show's the title page is also very creative as the words are integrated into the environment in the picture. Volume three also features one of the most creative and awesome multi page layouts you'll ever see in comics!

I wasn't a Flash fan when I got Volume 1. I only wanted to give it a try and I'm so grateful I invested in the Fastest Man Alive! Volumes 1,2, and 3 as one big story is sure to please any comics fan and I've had a blast immersing myself in this story arc!

kd-z

here ya go ElNarez

of note, future projects by Spurrier include another book with him and Stokeley from Six Gun Gorilla
Oh man I can't wait. It's going to blow my mind and change the way I look at life the way Gorilla did. I'm sure of that.

Wow, that cover sucks. I love covers that are throwbacks to, like, stone age comics, with dumb and charming dialogue that's supposed to make you interested in the issue, but that picture frame is GROSS.

Do we know if DC is reprinting all of Simone's Secret Six? The first trade hits today, right? I might get on that, it's supposed to be one of the classic modern runs I think. Anybody want to sell me on it?

Also, Chris Sims seems to be really into Gotham Academy: http://comicsalliance.com/if-youre-not-reading-gotham-academy-then-we-can-never-be-friends/ (I know it's old). Bought the first issue, I value this dude's opinions and love his writing.

I'm debating with myself whether I should check out Vader #1 on Comixology but damn, that price is killing me. 4,49 euros is like 20 polish bux :<

Vader tho :<<<

Speaking of Star Wars, I was lucky that I was produced by the people I was produced by. My parents really liked Star Wars and so the first time I saw the original trilogy was around 1997 when I was three. After that I could spend days watching those movies over and over. I also remember being quite disappointed when The Phantom Menace came out, lol. Darth Maul was nowhere close to Vader, there was no one as cool as Han or Luke.

But yeah, there are a lot of young people here who haven't seen Star Wars and don't really intend to. The sad thing is it's mostly girls :/ That's not surprising though, Poles are rather (pop-)culturally illiterate. I blame communism and shiz.

Younger kids know the universe mostly thanks to the cartoons that aired on Cartoon Network which I think might be a good thing. Hopefully Episode VII delivers and is a Star Wars movie worthy of today, for both the new and old generations of fans.

I like Suicide Squad but maybe it shouldn't have launched with the New 52. It's better when there actually is a pool of random D-listers that are sittng around doing nothing to use, you don't have to resort to putting fuckin Black Hand or Black Manta on the team

All the writers I'd want on Suicide Squad are at Marvel. I mean, shit, Spurrier just wrapped up his X-Force run and that was a goddamn brilliant comic with bits of political commentary, why can't we have that with literally my favorite super team?

they should have Ales Kot write a Suicide Squad book, I imagine it'll be a cool long run and they won't take him off after 4 issues of the most readable Suicide Squad book in years

Filthy Slug

they should have Ales Kot write a Suicide Squad book, I imagine it'll be a cool long run and they won't take him off after 4 issues of the most readable Suicide Squad book in years

Damn, remember when his first (and pretty much last) issue dropped and everybody was excited for Suicide Squad again? Good thing DC burned that bridge right-quick.

kd-z

Oh, before I forget. Is anyone reading any Project Black Sky books from Dark Horse? I remember that like 9 months ago they were talking a lot about estabilishing their own superhero universe. How has that worked out?

ElNarez

Banned
My understanding is Kot got hired to do the interim between the end of Glass' run and Forever Evil. He got his, then he left, and used some of the ideas in his Secret Avengers run.

Isak_Borg

My understanding is Kot got hired to do the interim between the end of Glass' run and Forever Evil. He got his, then he left, and used some of the ideas in his Secret Avengers run.

DC editorial environment wasn't to his liking MB?

I hear it's a shit show of epic proportions and not really conducive to keeping talent. Probably why Lemire is doing Marvel work now.

Owzers

Marvel is taking too long to make half their books 4.99, let's do this already. Think of how good the books will be at that price point.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Meh. That was all Nekron in the end, anyway. Black Hand was just a groupie.

He did just raise an army made of everything that ever touched the source wall and destroyed New Genesis with them.

This is still super slumming it. Johns made Black Hand way too powerful to be anything other than an event villain.

Marvel is taking too long to make half their books 4.99, let's do this already. Think of how good the books will be at that price point.

Seriously. Make all your books $4.99 so i can save money by dropping them all and getting one step closer from dropping this blasted expensive hobby

Top Bottom