• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| January 2013. "Read more comics"? Now that's a resolution I can keep!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Speaking of Bachalo(who still kicks ass), his style sure was different back in the early 90s. I've been reading Shade the Changing Man and it's a damn sight different.

bachalo7.jpg

bachalo8.jpg

bachalo9.jpg

bachalo10.jpg

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Walking Dead Trade`Paperback on Comixology. Yay or nay, if I saw 1.5 seasons of the tv series? Is it the same story?

<3 Hack/Slash

I mean I really like the weird anatomy stuff in my comic art Bachalo and Ramos are some of my favorite stylized artists and the weird anatomy fits Spider-man because he doesn't move like a normal human being anyway kinda fitting for a Spider-man.

Man fuck that noise, I can't stand wacky anatomy, it's like a huge pet peeve. Stylized is one thing, completely wacky and then stylized on top of that. Might as well get Rob Liefeild do draw it and tell him to give everything a big black outline.

one thing i can say about ramos, is that at least the claw toe doesnt look so damn horrible with him.

I thought they were suppose to be ninja sandles-esque?

Owzers

Walking Dead Trade`Paperback on Comixology. Yay or nay, if I saw 1.5 seasons of the tv series? Is it the same story?

I'd wait for a sale, they had one before, they'll probably have one again, maybe when the season comes back. It's worth reading, better than the tv show, both share SOME things but it's feels like a different story altogether, the tv show just grabs bits and pieces of the comics but is doing its own thing most of the time.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Alright, all of that helped deciding against it for now :) Thanks guys!

Man fuck that noise, I can't stand wacky anatomy, it's like a huge pet peeve. Stylized is one thing, completely wacky and then stylized on top of that. Might as well get Rob Liefeild do draw it and tell him to give everything a big black outline.

Yeah I can see why people would hate it I've grown to love it over the years I remember looking at Ramos Spider-man during the Paul Jenkins stuff and really hating it. But got dayum a lot of people hate Ramos got responses on him as soon I posted I liked him lol.

Fantomex

<3 Hack/Slash

I thought they were suppose to be ninja sandles-esque?

I understand what you're saying, but I think you picked the wrong medium for them standards.

Exhibit A - Jim Lee
Waists and Feet
xm111516.jpg

Exhibit B
Dem MusKles!
artist2-1.jpg

Exhibit C
Oh you want realism?
745454-131_wolverine__revolver_1_super.jpg

frye

Dear DC,

Please collect Shade properly. Also put out Enigma in a deluxe hardcover, thanks in advance.

It's crazy how so much of Peter Milligan's great comics have been essentially lost in the ether of back issue bins.

Poor Peter Milligan. Never as popular as some of his other British Invasion compatriots like Moore, Morrison, Ellis, Ennis, etc...but on his best day(Shade, Girl, X-Statix, Enigma, Human Target), he's as good as anybody. Unfortunately, there's also a LOT of just shit comics he's done that feel like he just phoned it in for that paycheck. Holy FUCK was his Elektra awful...

frye

Poor Peter Milligan. Never as popular as some of his other British Invasion compatriots like Moore, Morrison, Ellis, Ennis, etc...but on his best day(Shade, Girl, X-Statix, Enigma, Human Target), he's as good as anybody. Unfortunately, there's also a LOT of just shit comics he's done that feel like he just phoned it in for that paycheck. Holy FUCK was his Elektra awful...

Don't Read Non-Frank Miller/Zeb Wells Elektra Comics Ever is my personal motto.

But yeah, peak Milligan can go head to head with all those guys. I think more than any of them though, he needs a really good collaborator to bounce off of to do really amazing stuff. Dudes like Fegredo, Bachalo, Allred, McCarthy, Ewins, and Hewlett all really bring out the best of him.

Without them, he really does put out a lot of pedestrian crap - not middling or even a good idea/bad execution thing. Just crap. Even Red Lanterns, which is him making fun of Geoff Johns, is kind of bad.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
All the girls standing have the exact same lower body pose lol
Haha, not only that but Psylocke and Rogue are drawn identically. Even back then me and my younger brother made fun of the token poses in these, no matter how much we enjoyed the comics.

qTtuG.gif

so starting tomorrow where will peter parker fans go to read a Spider-man that isn't an inner city youth or an old german guy (who i'm pretty sure was originally intended to be an ex-nazi scientist)?

Fuck. Petty of me, and a bit hypocritical knowing that I've made many posts that have annoyed people in the past...

But does anyone else who reads the CBR forums absolutely HATE the way that Flex Hectic posts? I can hardly read them anymore. Particularly his posts about Hudlin (not that I have an opinion - I've not read his run) and anytime he has an anecdote.

Yeah when I first made an account on CBR and I saw his post in the Black Panther thread I said Got Dayum I ain't reading this shit.

Now when I see his posts I'm like

Fantomex

Man I mentioned CBR a while ago. It was like the first time I played DOTA, I was wondering if anyone was having any fun. It's very geeky and at the same time sad that even in the comic community we have our own groupies, heroes, haters, villains and I'm not talking comic book characters. But rather writers, editors and artists as well as critics, but its logical I guess.

Anyhoo. This Fear Agent is really really good.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
His Death Sandman mini is kinda of a mixture of this style and his current one.

Yeah, it's fascinating seeing his evolution. He used his old style on early issues of Sandman but you're right, the Death mini is much more akin to his new style, and I think a lot of that influence came from working with Mark Buckingham as an inker - I'd never put their styles together before but it makes sense. And I recently read one of his minis for Age of Apocalypse (godamn they were some bad comics) where it seemed he was starting to experiment with his hyper-kinetic style.

Someone really needs to put together a retrospective article about his work, it'd be fascinating.

Yeah, it's fascinating seeing his evolution. He used his old style on early issues of Sandman but you're right, the Death mini is much more akin to his new style, and I think a lot of that influence came from working with Mark Buckingham as an inker - I'd never put their styles together before but it makes sense. And I recently read one of his minis for Age of Apocalypse (godamn they were some bad comics) where it seemed he was starting to experiment with his hyper-kinetic style.

Someone really needs to put together a retrospective article about his work, it'd be fascinating.

I was just looking at some of his older work like the last pictures posted above and noticed how different it was compared to his current style then I saw pictures of the Death Mini which was the bridge from that style to the current one.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
I was just looking at some of his older work last the pictures posted above and noticed how different it was compared to his current style then I saw pictures of the Death Mini which was the bridge from that style to the current one.

Funny timing, I actually just read the Death mini over the weekend. Was a good little book.

IrishNinja

oh, CBR forums...i havnet fucked with you since that time larsen & peter david had it out publicly. there's too many TTOBs dudes there on the whole BENDIS IS RUNING EVERYTHING tip last i saw

Also just finished Moore's Neonomicon.

.....man, fuck that bullshit.

i kinda get this, i mean i enjoyed it (i read the series leading up to it too) but i thought it'd go somewhere, still kinda hasnt

i can't recall why exactly, but i remember having the impression that Johnston was an asshole and or full of shit

bachalo owns

he's gotta be on the right thing - i remember seeing him on Cap and not digging it, but i know ive seen stuff beyond his Sandman work and been impressed

Is there someone here who might be interested in parting with their Superior Spider-Man #1 Digital Code? I'll happily pay for it via Paypal. I'm absolutely keen to check it out, but I only buy digital and can't justify Marvel's $3.99 price. At least not without knowing if it's something I'll enjoy reading.

Fuu

I want to get back into reading Spider-Man but I don't want to start with Superior, would Amazing Spider-Man #546 be the best jumping in point? Brand New Day sounds like it was hit and miss, but I usually don't mind some stinkers when I'm reading one after the other if it's overall fun. Or should I just go straight to #648 with the start of Slott's solo run?

V_Ben

Banned
I want to get back into reading Spider-Man but I don't want to start with Superior, would Amazing Spider-Man #546 be the best jumping in point? Brand New Day sounds like it was hit and miss, but I usually don't mind some stinkers when I'm reading one after the other if it's overall fun. Or should I just go straight to #648 with the start of Slott's solo run?

I can't remember when Big Time started, but start from that. I love that Arc.

Fuu

I can't remember when Big Time started, but start from that. I love that Arc.
Yup. Big Time is when the fun starts and never stops. Love his run.
According to wiki Big Time starts in #648, when Dan Slott becomes the sole writer after Brand New Day ends. I'll go from there then, and maybe check backwards on other acclaimed arcs/issues if I feel like it after I catch up. Thanks!

According to wiki Big Time starts in #648, when Dan Slott becomes the sole writer after Brand New Day ends. I'll go from there then, and maybe check backwards on other acclaimed arcs/issues if I feel like it after I catch up. Thanks!

I'd recommend the Amazing Spider-man Big Time Ultimate Collection that collects 648-662 and 654.1 then if you like that get Spider-Island. It all went downhill for me after that dropped the book right after Spider-Island.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0785162178/?tag=neogaf0e-20

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0785151044/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Cheap graphic novels is a nice alternative to Amazon for GN's they package their items really well unlike Amazon and they have flat rate shipping for six dollars no matter how many books you buy.

BND was far better, after a few rough early arcs (Freak, Paper Doll).

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Superior 1
so good. Stegman drawing circles around all recent Spidey artists. Also holy shit lol@ Obi Wan Parker
Haters gonna have a FIELD DAY with this series!!

V_Ben

Banned
Superior 1
so good. Stegman drawing circles around all recent Spidey artists. Also holy shit lol@ Obi Wan Parker
Haters gonna have a FIELD DAY with this series!!

Just read it. Good god the art is fantastic, and, well...

*spoilers start here*

Peter Parker being back already was sort of disappointing in a way, but the very idea of Otto having a constant ghostly version of parker following him around sounds like an amazing set up. Parker even says that he doesn't know why he's still here, so if we get his side of the story too, this story arc could end up being incredible. I especially like the way in which he can interact with Otto. That's going to lead to some fun stuff... especially if it turns out Otto can hit back.

*end of spoilers*

I cannot wait for more of this. Going to be a fantastic story arc.

tim1138

If anyone was planning on picking up Threshold next week, might as well get the Green Lantern: New Guardians annual out today. It introduces the main character, the concept, and basically sets the stage for the first issue of Threshold.

Thai

Bane was better.
Just read it. Good god the art is fantastic, and, well...

*spoilers start here*

Peter Parker being back already was sort of disappointing in a way, but the very idea of Otto having a constant ghostly version of parker following him around sounds like an amazing set up. Parker even says that he doesn't know why he's still here, so if we get his side of the story too, this story arc could end up being incredible. I especially like the way in which he can interact with Otto. That's going to lead to some fun stuff... especially if it turns out Otto can hit back.

*end of spoilers*

I cannot wait for more of this. Going to be a fantastic story arc.

wow, this will be super fun when Otto octo-penetrates mary jane and peter has to watch from the sidelines. good 'ol Parker Luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom