• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| January 2013. "Read more comics"? Now that's a resolution I can keep!

Status
Not open for further replies.
your late christmas list to send them copies of immortal iron fist omnibus?

Just Secret Avengers 18 will do, when they're inside that big topsy-turvy space station

jbrjVxv0lS8W2y.jpg

jn82SBA3vgQdf.jpg

j6PwTa6N0PaMq.jpg

Acid08

Banned
Can I have a copy just because I love Aja's work? :3

I still need to get around to getting the complete series as I keep forgetting which trades to pick up.
Books 1, 2 and 3 are the Fraction/Aja run. The second arc is also really good even if it's not at the same level and I don't like Foreman's art very much.

omg you're the best for posting this. Any way you could just make it the Spidey panel and avatarize it? :3

All this Aja art makes me yearn for a Spidey drawn series from him after Superior Spider-man is over.

This is my wet dream. I just want a bunch of different miniseries with Fraction/Aja as the creative team. Go through all the major, and not so major, Marvel characters.

I understand what you're saying, but I think you picked the wrong medium for them standards.

Exhibit A - Jim Lee
Waists and Feet
xm111516.jpg

Exhibit B
Dem MusKles!
artist2-1.jpg

Exhibit C
Oh you want realism?
745454-131_wolverine__revolver_1_super.jpg

Nah, there are plenty of artists who understand anatomy and understand the rules and which ones you can bend. Unfortunately there are just as many who haven't the first clue of anatomy and on top of that make up their own rules (Liefield). I'm okay with the former, I hate the latter.

Also exhibit C totally isn't 'realism', just amazing paint/coloring skills ontop of shit art. People can say what they want about Aja, but my respect for dude went up ever since I read an interview in which he said he hated his art when he first started, so he grabbed a shitload of anatomy books and learned the basics and applied some of them to his art.

Blader

Does anyone know what the fuck happened in Action Comics this week? Does Morrison look over these scripts at all or is he just shitting a bunch of things on paper and sending his first draft to publish? Because I can't understand a single goddamn thing going on in this book anymore.

Thanks Acid and I'll get to it. Originally it was from when Aja was doing his advent calendar on twitter, but shouldn't be too hard to avatar-size Spidey there.

EDIT: Here you go

Spidey_av_zps6994fdf9.jpg

But for Rastafarian42, you can see a bit of Aja's Spidey in Hawkeye #6, if you don't have it already. It's a very organic looking Spidey that reminds me of Ditko's.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

He's and I quote
looking mischievously at the camera
as he's saying this. Dude hasn't had enough fun trolling yet has he? Can't leave well enough alone.

Superior Spider-Man
Spider-Man 2099
Scarlet Spider
Flash Thompson Venom

We're one spidey away from an all Spiderman team. Call them the Arachknights.

I'd read that cross-over. Throw in Ultimate Spidey and you've got you're #5.

kswiston

I watched 10 minutes animation about the Specter. I have never heard of him before, but damn his powers are so hax.

The DC Spectre? Ya, he is one of the most powerful characters in the DCU.

I decided to pick up Avengers Arena afterall, largely because I love the artwork. The issue's story was decent.
I'm sort of confused about the previews for issue 4 though. They advertize a fight between X-23 and Darkhawk, but Darkhawk bought it at the end of this issue. Also, I totally didn't realize that Cammi was the same Cammi from Annihilation until they spelled it out for me.

I'll probably be picking up the next issue. Maybe give the entire first arc a chance.

Now for my beef regarding Marvel scheduling. One would think that, with a book that ships twice a month, we would get an issue every 2-3 weeks. This seems pretty logical. Does Marvel do that though? No. Avengers 1 and 2 ship in the first half of December. Issues 3 and 4 get scheduled for the last two weeks of January, 7 days apart :/ That's like the worst of both worlds. A six week wait followed by consecutive releases.

Superior Spider-Man: That cliffhanger rubbed me the wrong way.
By making the "good and evil trapped in the same body" premise so literal, I fear they are going to rob the story of its depth and emotional resonance.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Superior Spider-Man
Spider-Man 2099
Scarlet Spider
Flash Thompson Venom

We're one spidey away from an all Spiderman team. Call them the Arachknights.

time displaced ultimate pete from exiles to join the fray, as well as time displaced mayday. spideys villains will just pack it up.

Any good resources to find out what artists are currently on books besides brute force searching? I really, really like Sam Basri (Who did gorgeous work in Power Girl and Voodoo) and would love to find out what else he is doing as well as other artists in the future.

inb4lolgoogle. I know I can google. But sometimes it seems like I have to sift through mountains of garbage to find such data.

frye

Wrong about what? I worship Aja.

Bad wording on my part - I was talking about people hating on Pulido (there were a few in this thread/the last one I think?) who owns too.

Disliking Aja is kind of too much for me to process. He's such a weird/awesome mix of Mazzuchelli circa Year One and Steranko right now.

Bad wording on my part - I was talking about people hating on Pulido (there were a few in this thread/the last one I think?) who owns too.

Disliking Aja is kind of too much for me to process. He's such a weird/awesome mix of Mazzuchelli circa Year One and Steranko right now.

He's been doing a great job on Hawkeye.

People who dislike Pulido too... I can see why, but again, it's really unfair.

I love the pop-art style that he uses. It worked so well for issues 4-5, especially since the colors seemed brighter too to match the style.

ElNarez

Banned
Superior Spider-Man: That cliffhanger rubbed me the wrong way.
By making the "good and evil trapped in the same body" premise so literal, I fear they are going to rob the story of its depth and emotional resonance.

It was robbed of depth and emotional resonance the moment Dan Slott wrote "Page 1, Panel 1". Because Dan Slott is a hack. Because Dan Slott is afraid of logic or consequences. Because Dan Slott thinks no one would notice that suddenly Peter Parker became a giant dick who all of a sudden asks for deadly weapons. Because he's so afraid of actually following through on his dumb gambit of killing Peter Parker that he has to immediately bring him back as a fucking ghost. This is a bad comic and everyone involved in this mess should feel bad. You should feel bad for reading it and worse for liking it.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
It was robbed of depth and emotional resonance the moment Dan Slott wrote "Page 1, Panel 1". Because Dan Slott is a hack. Because Dan Slott is afraid of logic or consequences. Because Dan Slott thinks no one would notice that suddenly Peter Parker became a giant dick who all of a sudden asks for deadly weapons. Because he's so afraid of actually following through on his dumb gambit of killing Peter Parker that he has to
immediately bring him back as a fucking ghost.
This is a bad comic and everyone involved in this mess should feel bad. You should feel bad for reading it and worse for liking it.

spoiler tag that bro

Fantomex

I wonder if Slott has the Howard Stern effect. Where even people who hate his writing tend to be his biggest fan base. Only other polarizing writer I can think of is Peter David back in the day.

ElNarez

Banned
The comic is called Spider-Man. It's gonna sell no matter what. It's gonna have fanboys no matter what. Not even a hack like Slott could change that. So, fuck it.

Splatt

I wonder if Slott has the Howard Stern effect. Where even people who hate his writing tend to be his biggest fan base. Only other polarizing writer I can think of is Peter David back in the day.

I thought this was Bendis?

And people should stop calling Slott a hack. He wrote some wonderful comics in the past and his early Spiderman stuff was good. It's too bad he started borrowing drugs from Morrison and Moore...

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Poor Steggers. Attached to such total hammy shit. Shoulda stayed on the real best Spider-Book bro, I warned you about that Slott man, I TOLD YOU MAN, I TOLD YOU ABOUT SLOTT MANG.

Instead its back to Pham. Who seems to be trying some pencil-worked panels that channel Stegman, bless.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom