• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| January 2013. "Read more comics"? Now that's a resolution I can keep!

Status
Not open for further replies.
But in all seriousness, what the fuck was with Action Comics this week?

I like how this has been asked like five times and no one has an answer. I just finished reading it and it's really all over the place. It could make sense on re-reading his whole run, but I'm not real convinced.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
It was robbed of depth and emotional resonance the moment Dan Slott wrote "Page 1, Panel 1". Because Dan Slott is a hack. Because Dan Slott is afraid of logic or consequences. Because Dan Slott thinks no one would notice that suddenly Peter Parker became a giant dick who all of a sudden asks for deadly weapons. Because he's so afraid of actually following through on his dumb gambit of killing Peter Parker that he has to immediately bring him back as a fucking ghost. This is a bad comic and everyone involved in this mess should feel bad. You should feel bad for reading it and worse for liking it.

You should feel bad for bad posting.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Weird to have Peter's consciousness. That means he could of stopped Doc Ock this whole time. Plus there were two of his consciousness at one point.
Eh.

Probably doesn't work like that. I imagine he can only interfere every so often, and he probably doesn't want to reveal his presence to Ock as he subtly tries to work his way back. He'll probably be able to assert control or black out Ock entirely for periods of time as the series progresses and vice-versa as Ock becomes aware of Peter still lingering. I can see some Death Note-ish tug of wars like in 700 becoming a thing and I'm fairly interested in seeing it.

tim1138

I like how this has been asked like five times and no one has an answer. I just finished reading it and it's really all over the place. It could make sense on re-reading his whole run, but I'm not real convinced.

Krypto was there, and that's pretty cool. And Mr Mxyzlplyx or whatever was the dude in the coma right?

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Action is really suffering from:

1. The Legion. Fuck these guys. All of them. I hope the rest of their shitty books get cancelled and they never show up in another comic ever again. If this opinion makes you sad, good. Better, even! I don't like you and I don't like the Legion so you can go away along with them!

2. Time travel. I think this last issue jumped to like 4 different timelines and referenced like EVERY damn issue that came before it. It's like spreadsheet comics gone awry.

3. You can almost feel Grant Morrison giving up. This latest issue feels SO rushed. Rushed + timebendy plot = wtf?

Shit's going to be ending now and it feels like there's no build up to anything. Everything going on in this latest issue feels inexplicable. The Legion are back for some reason in AD 3030 and spouting some of the most ridiculous technobabble I've ever heard, ever, in my entire life.

On top of all the time travel, are they using some of the alternate universe stuff too from the issue with the black president Superman? I don't have the old issues so I can't skim them to see if any of the technobabble matches up.

Anyways, I've had a lot of fun reading this run up until this latest issue where it seems to have gone so far off the rails it's not even aware that there ever were any. I hope something happens in the end to make some sort of sense out of it.

ElNarez

Banned
The good thing is that if people post without respect for others as far as spoilers go, I can feel free to go ahead and not respect their opinions. Win-Win.

The book's out. I think it's missing the point of a comic discussion thread to not actually discuss what's in comics.

Plus you like Dan Slott on Spider-Man so you're not worthy of anyone's respect.

TxxXl.jpg

Marvel, please PLEASE PLEASE give this run the Omnibus treatment.

The book's out. I think it's missing the point of a comic discussion thread to not actually discuss what's in comics.

Plus you like Dan Slott on Spider-Man so you're not worthy of anyone's respect.

You can discuss it all you like but show a smidge of respect and spoiler tag it. It's just laziness to not do it or, worse, it's intentional and you don't care.

Superior Spider-Man wasn't bad at all. I can see where (and how) it will get dark and creepy.

Scarlet Spider 13 is also out today, though it didn't answer as much as I assumed (what Kaine's full powerset is, why he came back from the dead... everything the solicits said it would answer, actually), but still a good issue.

Action is really suffering from:

1. The Legion. Fuck these guys. All of them. I hope the rest of their shitty books get cancelled and they never show up in another comic ever again. If this opinion makes you sad, good. Better, even! I don't like you and I don't like the Legion so you can go away along with them!.

You have never been more wrong about anything that any human being has ever been wrong about ever. You are, of course, allowed to have an opinion. But this is one of the first times that said opinion was fundamentally and irrevocably wrong. A wrongness on the level of a universal rule or constant.

That is, to say, the Legion is fucking awesome. Always. Forever.

and for me, they work better as that idea of a group of youth saying, "Hey, let's all be Superman!" than like...an actual comic I'd want to read, or names I could be bothered to remember

and for me, they work better as that idea of a group of youth saying, "Hey, let's all be Superman!" than like...an actual comic I'd want to read, or names I could be bothered to remember

That's like saying the X-Men are better as as a group of youths saying, "Hey, lets find understanding between mutants and humans!" than like...an actual comic I'd want to read. (Or any other group of heroes in any universe) But, really, to each their own. But I find stuff like Lightning Saga, Great Darkness Saga, Final Crisis: Legion of Three Worlds, to be an absolute delight to read.

Fantomex

You have never been more wrong about anything that any human being has ever been wrong about ever. You are, of course, allowed to have an opinion. But this is one of the first times that said opinion was fundamentally and irrevocably wrong. A wrongness on the level of a universal rule or constant.

Man, we always has fireworks here lol. I like this comic book family.

LiQuid!

XQuI9.gif

MisterHero

For me? This image embodies it. The Legion are the continuation of Superman's ideals.
That last part of Thy Kingdom Come makes me want to see a movie based on it.

Superman has adventures, loses family, friends, sees humanity colonize other planets and lives until the Legion is brought together. Then he dies and is laid to rest in the sun, comes back as Prime Superman and has more adventures.

It only gets better from there, Capt

Also, X-Statix Omnibus just came in. I was able to get in for under $50

(not my pic because why would I have a Black eyed peas album, but just you can see how MASSIVE it is)

1200 oversized pages of Millgan/Allred/Pope/Cooke/Bond goodness

Karakand

Any good resources to find out what artists are currently on books besides brute force searching? I really, really like Sam Basri (Who did gorgeous work in Power Girl and Voodoo) and would love to find out what else he is doing as well as other artists in the future.

inb4lolgoogle. I know I can google. But sometimes it seems like I have to sift through mountains of garbage to find such data.

Not really going to help you a lot for future releases, but Comic Vine's wiki let's you view someone's work.

http://www.comicvine.com/sami-basri/26-45275/issues-cover/?sort=-volume__start_year

Just finished Superior Spider-man #1,
so glad Slott isn't completely off his rocker with killing Peter. After what Marvel did in the Ultimate universe, I was worried. Maybe we'll even see Peter pull a "Ghost", Swayze style, with MJ.

Slott was never off his rocker. It's comic books and Otto becoming Parker is obviously not a permanent thing. I agree though, I'm surprised that he did the big Pete-Ghost reveal in issue 1. It's almost as if they added it because they knew the backlash was coming.

It's obvious that Otto's dark side is already rearing it's ugly head despite also having all the memories of Peter. I think that will continue to grow over time.

I guess that's the reason why I'm not up-in-arms with the potential rape in issue two. It's touchy subject matter but Otto is a villain, even in Parker's skin. He's going to do villainous things. It's an especially tough subject to tackle and I'll only be pissed if it isn't given the proper weight it deserves when the truth is finally revealed.

Action Comics 16 was the first time I've ever not resented the legion's involvement in a dc story. My goodness why did I read legions of 3 worlds....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom