• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| January 2013. "Read more comics"? Now that's a resolution I can keep!

Status
Not open for further replies.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Slott was never off his rocker. It's comic books and Otto becoming Parker is obviously not a permanent thing. I agree though, I'm surprised that he did the big Pete-Ghost reveal in issue 1. It's almost as if they added it because they knew the backlash was coming.

It's obvious that Otto's dark side is already rearing it's ugly head despite also having all the memories of Peter. I think that will continue to grow over time.

I guess that's the reason why I'm not up-in-arms with the potential rape in issue two. It's touchy subject matter but Otto is a villain, even in Parker's skin. He's going to do villainous things. It's an especially tough subject to tackle and I'll only be pissed if it isn't given the proper weight it deserves when the truth is finally revealed.

Somehow I expect Otto's charade to start coming off the rails next issue. MJ has to already have a feeling that something is up, I mean Pete's drinking and he never drinks. Plus he can't hold his liquor. Part of me thinks they'll come close to doing the deed only to have MJ back out because Peter isn't "acting like the man she fell in love with" or something.

It only gets better from there, Capt

Also, X-Statix Omnibus just came in. I was able to get in for under $50

(not my pic because why would I have a Black eyed peas album, but just you can see how MASSIVE it is)

1200 oversized pages of Millgan/Allred/Pope/Cooke/Bond goodness

damn 50$ is my sweet spot for that

Dysun

Morrison on Superman makes me re-read pages more than I'd care to admit

I also enjoyed Superior #1 viewing this as a temporary thing, which it is. So relax at worst it's one year

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
Slott was never off his rocker. It's comic books and Otto becoming Parker is obviously not a permanent thing. I agree though, I'm surprised that he did the big Pete-Ghost reveal in issue 1. It's almost as if they added it because they knew the backlash was coming.

It's obvious that Otto's dark side is already rearing it's ugly head despite also having all the memories of Peter. I think that will continue to grow over time.

I guess that's the reason why I'm not up-in-arms with the potential rape in issue two. It's touchy subject matter but Otto is a villain, even in Parker's skin. He's going to do villainous things. It's an especially tough subject to tackle and I'll only be pissed if it isn't given the proper weight it deserves when the truth is finally revealed.

good to see the pragmatic fan's called it...

And people should stop calling Slott a hack. He wrote some wonderful comics in the past and his early Spiderman stuff was good. It's too bad he started borrowing drugs from Morrison and Moore...

His spider-man and human torch 'im with stupid' series was fantastic, and some of his BND stuff was great too. Haven't read anything since #657 so I can't say anything about his more recent work, but his 'watch, imma get the internet mad' attitude rubs a lot of fans the wrong way.

Acid08

Banned
Thanks Acid and I'll get to it. Originally it was from when Aja was doing his advent calendar on twitter, but shouldn't be too hard to avatar-size Spidey there.

EDIT: Here you go

Spidey_av_zps6994fdf9.jpg

YOU'RE THE BEST! This is getting used so hard after RPJ.

But in all seriousness, what the fuck was with Action Comics this week?

Shit that crazy huh? I have 14, 15 and 16 sitting here waiting to be read. I don't even really want to but I have them so I have to.

Hmm... Just hit Issue 4 of Hawkeye... soo.... is Aja out then? Miss his art already :/

He comes back for 6. There's a guest artist for 7 because it's a special issue that got put together really quickly. I actually don't know who's doing 8 and 9.

Or read he wolverine.one shot he drew

102_revwolverinedebtins.jpg

detail.jpg

WOLVDOD001016_col.jpg

So because of this post I ordered this issue, came out to $5 including shipping, not a bad price at all. Worth it to see some Aja art I haven't seen. I checked at my LCS first when I picked up my books today and they had absolutely no idea what I was talking about.

Superior Spider-Man

I'm on board with this. Art is great, seems like it'll be a fun book.

Hoping for a buddy cop vibe with Doc Ock and Peter. Also some explanation on what the fuck is happening would be nice. Interesting to see how most of the humor came from the villains now because Ock ain't got jokes. Still weirded out about anything involving MJ, is Peter going to have to physically stop Ock from entering her or some shit? I think she might be the first person to say "fuck you" to Peter and she'll get somewhat written out. For the better, IMO. Bypass all that weird shit completely.

I also have a digital code for anyone who wants it. First to quote gets it.

YOU'RE THE BEST! This is getting used so hard after RPJ.

Shit that crazy huh? I have 14, 15 and 16 sitting here waiting to be read. I don't even really want to but I have them so I have to.

He comes back for 6. There's a guest artist for 7 because it's a special issue that got put together really quickly. I actually don't know who's doing 8 and 9.

So because of this post I ordered this issue, came out to $5 including shipping, not a bad price at all. Worth it to see some Aja art I haven't seen. I checked at my LCS first when I picked up my books today and they had absolutely no idea what I was talking about.

Superior Spider-Man

I'm on board with this. Art is great, seems like it'll be a fun book.

Hoping for a buddy cop vibe with Doc Ock and Peter. Also some explanation on what the fuck is happening would be nice. Interesting to see how most of the humor came from the villains now because Ock ain't got jokes. Still weirded out about anything involving MJ, is Peter going to have to physically stop Ock from entering her or some shit? I think she might be the first person to say "fuck you" to Peter and she'll get somewhat written out. For the better, IMO. Bypass all that weird shit completely.

I also have a digital code for anyone who wants it. First to quote gets it.

I think I'm first to quote! Fantastic! I was looking to buy a digital code a couple of pages back.

Fantomex

You are!

First to quote mang ;)

Acid I was kidding, they way this board is divided ill wait for the trade, too much drama man. I think the only comics I'm collecting this year are Avengers, Cap and UXF. I'm being frugal this year skip that, I wasntt ready for that Obama tax increase on my paycheck this week btw that's some messed up stuff.

arkon

That's like saying the X-Men are better as as a group of youths saying, "Hey, lets find understanding between mutants and humans!" than like...an actual comic I'd want to read. (Or any other group of heroes in any universe) But, really, to each their own. But I find stuff like Lightning Saga, Great Darkness Saga, Final Crisis: Legion of Three Worlds, to be an absolute delight to read.

:D

I loved this book. It's what got me interested in the Legion and acted as my starting point. I've been slowly working through all the Legion runs I could find. Volume 3 has been completed and I'll be embarking on the 5 years later Legion when the books arrive in the post.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Thor is still so phenomenal. I'm dying to see how this 3-timeline format holds up over the course of multiple arcs. Thus far the book has had a very singular focus that I think makes the jumping around between timelines feel totally seemless. I'm assuming every arc won't focus solely on Thor chasing Gorr though. He likely won't be "defeated" at the end of this first 5 issues, but I expect him to be the main driving factor of the overall run so I'm wondering what type of side/secondary stories can be told within the frame of this narrative.

Any solicits/previews out for this yet? Who is going to be filling in for Ribic?

Aja hate.
Legion hate.
Superior hate.
Action Comics hate (when it's a direct sequel to last issue. Learn to fucking read)

You people are hot garbage.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Avengers Academy:
How dafuq they gonna act like they smoked Darkhawk and then have Darkhawk Vs. X23 on the cover of ish 4?

CatXF:
LMAO!!! Fast food virus that turns people into fat monsters!
So glad I stuck with this one. The tone is so serious, but the things that are happening are like wtflol.

Aja hate.
Legion hate.
Superior hate.
Action Comics hate (when it's a direct sequel to last issue. Learn to fucking read)

You people are hot garbage.

What do you mean "you people?"

Oh, you just mean us people... Yeah, we're comic fans, which pretty much makes us all indefensible.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
You can't honestly say that Action Comics #16 was hard to follow?

I've not read it yet, but there is a significant portion of the internet that freaks out when Morrison tries to make them think a little bit.

I call these people 'idiots' for short.

I'm looking forward to it, isn't this the last issue of the run?

Avengers Academy:
How dafuq they gonna act like they smoked Darkhawk and then have Darkhawk Vs. X23 on the cover of ish 4?

CatXF:
LMAO!!! Fast food virus that turns people into fat monsters!
So glad I stuck with this one. The tone is so serious, but the things that are happening are like wtflol.

Seriously. We're just going to have to call them like we see them. These books are awesome and Hopeless is rad as hell.

8bit

Knows the Score
I've not read it yet, but there is a significant portion of the internet that freaks out when Morrison tries to make them think a little bit.

No, next month is the last one. This is very much a big Grant Morrison middle act with everyone in danger
everywhere, everywhen and in every dimension. Which I hope isn't too much of a spoiler as this was becoming clear last month

Blader

Get over yourself. Challenging readers is one thing, incoherent plotting is another.

tim1138

Get over yourself. Challenging readers is one thing, incoherent plotting is another.

I don't even read Action on a regular basis, and I didn't find it incoherent. Like krypt0nian said, it was directly tied into the previous issue.
Admittedly there was one plot point I was puzzled about, but that's on me for only reading the last three issues and not knowing if something has been explained yet or not.

People act like Morrison just throws random words on the page and calls it a day, it gets so old.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Avengers Academy:

When Darkhawk was killed, his amulet got stuck in a tree. Someone else is going to find it become the new Darkhawk....maybe Cammi?

Hot off my binge from Journey Into Mystery, I moved right on to the first 3 issues of Thor: God of Thunder, since (a) I'm jones-ing for more stories in that world, and (b) tons of accolades for it around here...you all have been on a roll lately with recommendations (JIM, Hawkeye).

Man, I sure as hell wasn't expecting a noirish murder mystery, but it's better than what I could have imagined. I never read Thor in my life unless he was part of some other book (character never really appealed to me), but this is fantastic. I love the story, love the writing, the creepy atmosphere, top-notch art by Ribic as usual...too bad it's apparently only a mini?

End of WATX was great.
What happened? Feel free to spoil it for me.

Lombaszko

I can't wait for that big-ass Action Comics next month! CAN'T WAIT!

Anyone else pick up Human Bomb #2? I was iffy after issue 1 but the story is moving quickly and in interesting ways.
Aliens and salt shaker bombs!

Ah nice, was taken aback flipping through #5, Pulido's art is serviceable, but I really missed the inventive use of panels and crazy compositions that Aja employed

Fantomex

Good luck with that Panther! Would be a great fight to see. But Namor's on another level which he takes full advantage of by being so smug
KuGsj.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom