• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| January 2013. "Read more comics"? Now that's a resolution I can keep!

Status
Not open for further replies.

frye

Just read the Fury MAX trade in one sitting. That might have been the best comic of last year. Can't wait for more.

It's seriously amazing. I'm waiting for it to get collected in a humongous hardcover or something but the issues I read were SO GOOD.

Tizoc

Just saw the sneak peak for the upcoming Superman Animated movie, and Brainiac looks like Handsom Squidworth from the Spongbob cartoon.

They are stupid for adapting Johns Braniac story. Morrison's was FARRRRR superior and his braniac actually looked cool not dudebro

Morrison version:
2274947-screen_shot_2012_03_30_at_11.13.30_am_super.png

Johns version:
ActionComics_Gary_Frank_Brainiac.jpg

frye

How does the new Fury Max stack up against the one Garth Ennis did back in 2001?

Infinitely better? Those old Fury comics are supposed to be sort of funny (in a Garth Ennis-y kinda way). The new series is him and Goran Parlov doing a straight up war comic about the Cold War and the failure of American interventionism.

Infinitely better? Those old Fury comics are more humour than anything else. The new series is him and Goran Parlov doing a straight up war comic about the Cold War and the failure of American interventionism.

I just remember when the old ones came out the internet whined so hard that Nick Fury spent most of the time having sex with prostitutes.

frye

I just remember when the old ones came out the internet whined so hard that Nick Fury spent most of the time having sex with prostitutes.

Oh yeah, I didn't really like them that much but the "get me two dozen blondes. wait, no. asians!" line made me laugh when I read it a few years ago.

Well I liked Johns' Brainiac story personally, and I liked Brainiac's design in that story =p
I enjoyed it too, but looking back on the story now with some distance, there's a sh*tload of retconning going on there for no other reason than to fit with the whole "remake the DCU my way, the way of my childhood" undercurrent that's been a driving force behind Johns's writing for years. I didn't mind it so much because I preferred Brainiac's classic look to the "B13" computer look anyway, but there was a considerable amount of reaching involved in that retcon that required a lot of blind-eyed faith to work.

I enjoyed it too, but looking back on the story now with some distance, there's a sh*tload of retconning going on there for no other reason than to fit with the whole "remake the DCU my way, the way of my childhood" undercurrent that's been a driving force behind Johns's writing for years. I didn't mind it so much because I preferred Brainiac's classic look to the "B13" computer look anyway, but there was a considerable amount of reaching involved in that retcon that required a lot of blind-eyed faith to work.

The story had good build up in the first issue but it failed to deliver. I hate how they killed off Pa Kent in the same story just to make it seem more personal

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Although saying that, I think the whole New Krypton era of the books after that are was fantastic, probably my personal favourite era of the books ever. Robinson's Mon El, Clark as army grunt under Zod, even Rucka's weird Flamebird and Nightwing tangent. It was neat.

I loved Johns Action Comics run, but I dropped it pretty quickly once all that New Krypton stuff happened

The Pete Woods art was nice, though!

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
What is Bendis doing to my precious X-books :( They had finally gotten good with the triple punch of Uncanny, WatXM, and Uncanny X-Force. Now its like the fucking Bendis show and WatXM seems to have been relegated to major background noise (Bendis getting to call some major changes and shifts). Oh and Uncanny Avengers is supposedly a thing still? Who'd know from the delays.

I remember my distant hopes that Cyclops was going to essentially become the new X-Force with Cable and Magneto, and all be working on redemption arc like stuff. Instead its all over the fucking place.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
What is Bendis doing to my precious X-books :( They had finally gotten good with the triple punch of Uncanny, WatXM, and Uncanny X-Force. Now its like the fucking Bendis show and WatXM seems to have been relegated to major background noise (Bendis getting to call some major changes and shifts). Oh and Uncanny Avengers is supposedly a thing still? Who'd know from the delays.

I remember my distant hopes that Cyclops was going to essentially become the new X-Force with Cable and Magneto, and all be working on redemption arc like stuff. Instead its all over the fucking place.
We need to start a support group my man.

You know I really can't complain too much yet since I legit like ANXM. New Uncanny can go either way. For as much as I don't love Bachalo at least he's not Greg Land. Bless Gillen for falling on the grenade and keeping him preoccupied with Iron Man crap.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
ANXM would have been fine if it was its own timeskip shit and entirely contained, but changing Beast, pre-occupying Kitty with the timejumping team, writing Logan like a total retard again and as if he has nothing to do with the whole school thing...

Its all just painting WatXM as the non-main offshoot/spin-off book (not helped by its relatively small scale focus on just those fucking Hellfire kidz most of the time) when by all means it should have been the main X-Book. But now Scott has his own stupid new school, and lame new mutants. I don't like Bendis being given free reign on the X-World when its Aaron and Remender that made shit actually work, come together, and be good in recent years. That Uncanny X-Force and WatXM synergy was delicious. Gone now :(

And for the record I really love Bachalo's artwork when he's doing dynamic splash pages and mixing things up, but dude has got to do something about same-facing. Just look at all those chicks in the new Uncanny line-up. I can't tell who is fucking who, especially with Emma wearing black now.

Just got around to it, but I have to say, Batman Beyond Unlimited (#11) continues to be a thoroughly enjoyable book. The art in Barda's Origin story was a bit goofy but it grew on me after awhile.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
ANXM would have been fine if it was its own timeskip shit and entirely contained, but changing Beast, pre-occupying Kitty with the timejumping team, writing Logan like a total retard again and as if he has nothing to do with the whole school thing...

Its all just painting WatXM as the non-main offshoot/spin-off book (not helped by its relatively small scale focus on just those fucking Hellfire kidz most of the time) when by all means it should have been the main X-Book. But now Scott has his own stupid new school, and lame new mutants. I don't like Bendis being given free reign on the X-World when its Aaron and Remender that made shit actually work, come together, and be good in recent years. That Uncanny X-Force and WatXM synergy was delicious. Gone now :(

And for the record I really love Bachalo's artwork when he's doing dynamic splash pages and mixing things up, but dude has got to do something about same-facing. Just look at all those chicks in the new Uncanny line-up. I can't tell who is fucking who, especially with Emma wearing black now.

I guess I don't see the Uncanny X-Men/WatXM synergy you do. If anything UXF was the tie that bound all those series (the Evan/Angel links to WatXM and the UXM side trip to Tabula Rasa). WatXM always felt like it was doing its own shit both narratively and tonally. I don't see that changing as long as Aaron's on the book.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Just got around to it, but I have to say, Batman Beyond Unlimited (#11) continues to be a thoroughly enjoyable book. The art in Barda's Origin story was a bit goofy but it grew on me after awhile.

I'm glad people are reading it. It's always fun and deserves more love from people in general. It'll never make a top 100 list but it will never disappoint either.

Also that the new digital chapter of Batman Beyond hit and oh man oh man oh man!

JJD

I think in a way Bendis is trying to mimic WatX success by making Scott open his own school.

Scott whole character arc this last few years has been based around refuting Charles way of dealing with mutant issues, including the school and trying to find a solution of his own. There is a reason the school was not rebuild the last time it was destroyed.

Besides that after Aaron started his series we have seen or will see introduced the Braddock school, Mystic school and Cyclops school. Shit is going to get old fast.

They are milking Aaron's ideas, diluting their impact and potential.

I'm about 1/3 of the way through Morrison's Supergods. So far I'm really enjoying it, outside of the Slow preface. Lots of interesting stuff i didn't know about the golden and silver ages.

tim1138

I'm about 1/3 of the way through Morrison's Supergods. So far I'm really enjoying it, outside of the Slow preface. Lots of interesting stuff i didn't know about the golden and silver ages.

That's a really great read, Morrison presents some fascinating stuff. My signed copy is one of my favorite things.

Infinitely better? Those old Fury comics are supposed to be sort of funny (in a Garth Ennis-y kinda way). The new series is him and Goran Parlov doing a straight up war comic about the Cold War and the failure of American interventionism.

yeah except with the fucking PUNISHER involved

god i love that comic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom