• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| January 2013. "Read more comics"? Now that's a resolution I can keep!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Already redeemed my digital codes and read everything on the iPad. I'm debating on where to sell the floppies or just give them away.

If you can't find a buyer, donating to kid's hospitals are what I used to do when I bought mainly floppies, along with giving my younger cousins a nice stack.

What's the easiest way to catchup on the last time I knew of magneto (xorn) until now? Wikipedia?

Magneto got better, Wanda did the "No More Mutants" thing, and in all the confusion everybody forgot he fucked up New York something fierce, now he likes to think he's an X-men, if just for mutantkind's sake

/headcanon

Magneto lost his powers got them back with help from high evolutionary .

Also I believe he admitted to the xorn stuff in gulliens uncanny run. I think it was a point one issue

well if you were going to do that wouldn't it have been cheaper to just buy them off the ipad directly?

I like supporting my LCS so I'm fine with purchasing floppies just for the codes. I'm mostly paying once but getting another copy for free.

If you can't find a buyer, donating to kid's hospitals are what I used to do when I bought mainly floppies, along with giving my younger cousins a nice stack.

That might be an idea. I have a Half Price Books in my town so I can offload there if need be but donating or giving to my younger cousins may be better.

Fantomex

Magneto got better, Wanda did the "No More Mutants" thing, and in all the confusion everybody forgot he fucked up New York something fierce, now he likes to think he's an X-men, if just for mutantkind's sake

/headcanon

Magneto lost his powers got them back with help from high evolutionary .

Also I believe he admitted to the xorn stuff in gulliens uncanny run. I think it was a point one issue

Oh snaps! Thanks for the info guys. I was just amazed to see him taking orders from Scott so nicely. Gonna have to read up!

arkon

I've heard mixed things about Waid's Legion run but based on the work of his that I've read (mostly Daredevil) I'm looking forward to trying it out. Especially if he has a similar level of lightheartedness to some of the stories to balance out the darker moments which he does so well in Daredevil.

So I finally read Superior Spider-Man #1. So obvious. But something big better come of this in the end or else it was all a giant waste of time.

Acid08

Banned
I've heard mixed things about Waid's Legion run but based on the work of his that I've read (mostly Daredevil) I'm looking forward to trying it out. Especially if he has a similar level of lightheartedness to some of the stories to balance out the darker moments which he does so well in Daredevil.
I really hope his Hulk becomes something great soon. Daredevil was great from the beginning and Hulk is off to a slow start.

frye

The threeboot is the only time I've ever cared about the Legion. Honestly, Waid/Kitson did the New 52 better than the entire DC line did last year. The first 12-ish issues of that book are fantastic.

arkon

I really hope his Hulk becomes something great soon. Daredevil was great from the beginning and Hulk is off to a slow start.

Yeah. I haven't jumped on board yet. I heard lots of positive word of mouth on his Daredevil run which got me into it after the 2nd issue. I'm sure I'll eventually jump on his Hulk run as well.

The threeboot is the only time I've ever cared about the Legion. Honestly, Waid/Kitson did the New 52 better than the entire DC line did last year. The first 12-ish issues of that book are fantastic.

Yea I agree. I always hated the legion but decided to try out the Waid/Kitson book because the marketing made it look cool and it was a fresh start and I actually really liked it. After Infinite Crisis when Geoff started bringing back the 60s legion I just didn't like it and dropped all the legion related stuff. Geoff's regression stuff is fine in small quantities like bringing back Hal and the GL Corps and making the JSA cool but when he was given more control of the DCU it started to become way too much.

I just saw Peter David's Hulk TPBs are only 15 bucks a set on Amazon. Think I'm going to pick up a few!

ZrwXa.jpg

Acid08

Banned
Aren't we just two issues into Waid's Hulk series? A little early to say it's struggling don't you think?
I guess but a lot of people seem to be saying the same thing about Avengers. It's of to a slow start, doesn't mean it's still not enjoyable. I do hope it picks up though because Waid and Hulk should be amazing.

I haven't read comics for about ten years but I'd like to get back into it. I've always been a Spider-Man fan so I've downloaded the last few issues of amazing Spider-Man and the first of superior Spider-Man on my iPad 4 (looks amazing in retina).

What other recommendations can GAF give me?

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
... it is a series for little girls, but i'm sure IDW recognizes the unintentional weird fanbase it has now

I'm sorry Marvel and DC don't =) Still, it's a great cover for once, didn't like 1 and 2's too much.

Keasar

Heya guys! I last year suddenly got a interest in starting to read comics after borrowing Watchmen and V for Vendetta from a friend and thanks to Comixology I started to get into it. I am now a huge fan of comics like Atomic Robo, The Walking Dead, Transformers (the IDW ones so far), Mouse Guard and just finished probably my biggest favorite of them all, Transmetropolitan.

I have taken a look at comics like Shrapnel, Vision Machine and Planetoid. I wonder what you guys suggest for comics, especially in the sci-fi or cyberpunk genre, bonus if they are available on Comixology or some other app I could read on a tablet.

Splatt

I have taken a look at comics like Shrapnel, Vision Machine and Planetoid. I wonder what you guys suggest for comics, especially in the sci-fi or cyberpunk genre, bonus if they are available on Comixology or some other app I could read on a tablet.

If you want some good sci-fi, get Fear Agent from Rick Remender.

Fear+Agent.jpg

Acid08

Banned
I'm sure so do Marvel and DC. Still, it's a great cover for once, didn't like 1 and 2's too much.

Yeah, totally the same thing. Bronies: Bastions of Common Sense.

Heya guys! I last year suddenly got a interest in starting to read comics after borrowing Watchmen and V for Vendetta from a friend and thanks to Comixology I started to get into it. I am now a huge fan of comics like Atomic Robo, The Walking Dead, Transformers (the IDW ones so far), Mouse Guard and just finished probably my biggest favorite of them all, Transmetropolitan.

Invincible if you want a superhero book.

Fear Agent for scifi.

Fear agent by Rick Remender seems up your alley.

People don't like Indestructible Hulk? I only read the first issue but I liked the premise they set up. Ties nicely in with Hulk's portrayal in the movies.

kswiston

People don't like Indestructible Hulk? I only read the first issue but I liked the premise they set up. Ties nicely in with Hulk's portrayal in the movies.

I think the first two issues were decent. Not every series is going to hit it out of the park in the first issue, but I can see why it would be beneficial to do so. I am giving all of the Marvel Now titles a story arc before I start dropping some books.

Hulk in general though seems to be a tricky character for a lot of writers.

Keasar

If you want some good sci-fi, get Fear Agent from Rick Remender.

Invincible if you want a superhero book.

Fear Agent for scifi.

Fear agent by Rick Remender seems up your alley.

I believe there is a consensus here. I can't find it on Comixology though, any suggestions where I can get it?

Also, got the first issue of Invincible, I think I could like it. Definetly gonna keep reading it.

I think the first two issues were decent. Not every series is going to hit it out of the park in the first issue, but I can see why it would be beneficial to do so. I am giving all of the Marvel Now titles a story arc before I start dropping some books.

Hulk in general though seems to be a tricky character for a lot of writers.

I think another thing is that for the past 30 years people have become accustomed to Hulk being written as a loose canon always on the run and constantly at odds with everyone especially the U.S. military. So for them to change it up and have Hulk become more super heroey is a shock for some people.

Keasar

Dark Horse's app.

Apparently the app is crappy and extremely buggy.

I am not completely against having to read on the computer either, it is just a preference to be able to lie down on the sofa when reading. Is it possible to read Dark Horse comics on both, like Comixology?

Acid08

Banned
I believe there is a consensus here. I can't find it on Comixology though, any suggestions where I can get it?

Also, got the first issue of Invincible, I think I could like it. Definetly gonna keep reading it.

Invincible is one of my favorite series and it really jumps off around issue 13.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
I'm not happy about how I would save not even a whopping dollar when buying the Nextwave "collected" pack with 6 issues instead of buying them one by one :( Comixology really needs competition on the e-comic market. (Yes, I'm one of the guys who thinks e-stuff should be less expensive than printed stuff, or at least give me more value for it.)

FoneBone

... it is a series for little girls, but i'm sure IDW recognizes the unintentional weird fanbase it has now

...Not really. I mean, content-wise, of course it's an all-ages book, but from a business perspective, they're targeting the brony crowd. That's why the book exists in the first place.

smr00

Banned
I'm not happy about how I would save not even a whopping dollar when buying the Nextwave "collected" pack with 6 issues instead of buying them one by one :( Comixology really needs competition on the e-comic market. (Yes, I'm one of the guys who thinks e-stuff should be less expensive than printed stuff, or at least give me more value for it.)
Everyone should think this because it's digital.

Digital anything should not cost the same as pressed and until all these industries realize this they will never fully take over. Why pay $15-20 for a HD movie off amazon/itunes when you can go the store and pay $15-20 for the blu-ray and get the digital AND dvd copy with it? I will give the e-comic market some slack since it's a relatively new market but come on.. A digital comic should NOT cost the same as a physical printed version, that is stupid.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
...Not really. I mean, content-wise, of course it's an all-ages book, but from a business perspective, they're targeting the brony crowd. That's why the book exists in the first place.

the comic put out by IDW is clearly for the young male audience the show accidentally garnered but "my little pony" is a show for little girls, i'm not sure how you can doubt that

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Everyone should think this because it's digital.

Digital anything should not cost the same as pressed and until all these industries realize this they will never fully take over. Why pay $15-20 for a HD movie off amazon/itunes when you can go the store and pay $15-20 for the blu-ray and get the digital AND dvd copy with it? I will give the e-comic market some slack since it's a relatively new market but come on.. A digital comic should NOT cost the same as a physical printed version, that is stupid.

Honestly I'd be ok with it if the creators got more money from the digital issues. If they aren't then they should definitely be cheaper.

kswiston

Honestly I'd be ok with it if the creators got more money from the digital issues. If they aren't then they should definitely be cheaper.

What I know is this:

At every comics shop I have regularly frequented in the past, if I have a decent sized pull list (10-15 titles a month), the owner will give me at decent discount on new books. Typically 15-20%. Sometimes higher. This would mean paying $3.20-3.40 for a book with a $4 cover price.

If I was to buy my books on DCBS, I would get 40% off regular cover price (not counting a flat shipping fee). This would mean paying $2.40 for a book with a cover price of $4.

All of these retailers need to make enough money to stay in business. If they are giving me 15-40% off, their margin is a lot bigger than that. Furthermore, Diamond doesn't distribute books for free, so add their cut in.

Once they have given the retailer and Diamond their cut, Marvel/DC/Image/Whoever also have to pay to get the book printed. I am sure the big 2 are getting a good deal on printing considering they are ordering over a million books a month each, but the cost isn't negligible.

After paying all of those cuts and fees, what are Marvel and DC left with? Maybe 30-35% of cover price? Potentially less than that?

There is no reason why digital copies couldn't be $1.99 each on DAY 1, other than the fact that it would potentially hurt the specialty shops. Publishers would be making the same amount of revenue (or more) per book (assuming a 30% cut from Comixology), and I am sure digital sales would increase dramatically. For old back issues where the cost of producing the comic (paying writers, artists, letterers, editors, etc) has already been covered, issues should be 99 cents. Not as part of some limited selection daily sale, but permanently.

Peter David X-factor is the 99 cents sale on comixolgy. i recommend starting at issue 37 and go foward.

THis has been the best x-book for a while now. so jump on the train. this is PAD's best work since Hulk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom