• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| January 2013. "Read more comics"? Now that's a resolution I can keep!

Status
Not open for further replies.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Actually, nope; the real WatXM #27 solicited last month in a double-ship with #26. It's confusing, but Marvel is doing standalone tie-ins for Age of Ultron with certain books that don't interrupt the regular plot. So there will be a WatXM #27 and a WatXM #27AU, a Fantastic Four #5 and a Fantastic Four #5AU, a Superior Spider-Man #6 and a Superior Spider-Man #6AU, etc. etc.

Why they just don't call it "Wolverine and the X-Men: Age of Ultron One-Shot" is what I don't get.

I'm sure it's just some underhanded shit designed to get it auto ordered for pull boxes since numbering it makes it easier to accidentally not ignore.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
So, any Superman books worth it currently? What about Aquaman?

Dude yes. Get all the New 52 Aquaman. It has been great since day 1.

Action has been a good Superman book, but it's more a Grant Morrison book than a Superman book. You have to know what you're getting into.

Dysun

So, any Superman books worth it currently? What about Aquaman?

Aquaman is probably the best thing to come out of the New 52. Check it out, even if you have no knowledge of Arthur/Atlantis it's well worth reading

IMO New 52 Superman has been mediocre all around, although Snyder and Jim Lee's third mainline Superman comic should be good.

[TTOB].

X-MEN: LONGSHOT TPB (NEW PRINTING)
Written by ANN NOCENTI
Penciled by ARTHUR ADAMS
Cover by ARTHUR ADAMS
Meet Longshot. He's a man without a past who possesses an uncanny lucky streak...and he's on an existential quest through the Marvel Universe. But as Longshot deals with the quirkier aspects of American society, he must learn the secrets behind his enigmatic identity and accept his destiny as a hero. Along the way, he meets a crazed militiaman, demons from his mysterious otherworldly home, a daring stuntwoman named Ricochet Rita, ram-headed Quark, and Marvel heroes Spider-Man, She-Hulk, and Dr. Strange. As Longshot digs deeper, he rediscovers more about himself — and must come to terms with his past along the way. Because only Longshot and his friends can stop the media-addled Mojo from taking over Earth and remaking it in his own warped image. Collecting LONGSHOT #1-6.
208 PGS./Rated T ...$19.99
ISBN: 978-0-7851-6711-2
[/TTOB]

Retrocide

They are having fun with Cyclops
m50-230x350.jpg

LiQuid!

Just read Kingdom Come for the first time. That was pretty cool. I guess.

omgkitty

So I have a question about Hellboy. I'd never read the series and I decided to give it a shot after hearing about Hellboy in Hell. I enjoy comics, but my one caveat is I absolutely hate how most modern stories are just split up and span all these different books and series. Kind of how Marvel or DC will have this one overarching story affecting all the different books and characters, and basically making you feel the need to read like 10 different books to get the whole story.

My question is, if I just read through the Hellboy collections, is that all I need? I know there is a bunch B.P.R.D. collections and few others, but if I just read straight through the collected volumes of Hellboy, should I be good? I wouldn't mind going back to B.P.R.D. at some point, but having to figure out what the correct order is and everything like that and buying a bunch of extra books just seems tedious to me. I've already gotten through the first two volumes (Seed of Destruction and Wake the Devil), and I just purchased the Library Edition Volume 2, and I'd like to just keep it as simple as possible.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
X-Factor #250 was pretty awesome. Its not even about Tier.
Mephisto is going to retcon the madrox/layla marriage!!!1 oh noes!

someone needs to put a foot up his ass. where the hell is panther?

UXM #2 PREVIEW

MEGATOOOOOON

MAGNETO
SHAVED HIS HEAD

SOURCE (CBR)

OMG WTF BBQ

but why? one thing that translated with mags no matter the artist is
how fantastic his hair is.

Owzers

So I have a question about Hellboy. I'd never read the series and I decided to give it a shot after hearing about Hellboy in Hell. I enjoy comics, but my one caveat is I absolutely hate how most modern stories are just split up and span all these different books and series. Kind of how Marvel or DC will have this one overarching story affecting all the different books and characters, and basically making you feel the need to read like 10 different books to get the whole story.

My question is, if I just read through the Hellboy collections, is that all I need? I know there is a bunch B.P.R.D. collections and few others, but if I just read straight through the collected volumes of Hellboy, should I be good? I wouldn't mind going back to B.P.R.D. at some point, but having to figure out what the correct order is and everything like that and buying a bunch of extra books just seems tedious to me. I've already gotten through the first two volumes (Seed of Destruction and Wake the Devil), and I just purchased the Library Edition Volume 2, and I'd like to just keep it as simple as possible.

I think, and maybe some other BPRD supporter will come in here, that the Hellboy/BPRD thing is kind of like Buffy/Angel tv show, where a series splits off of the first but you can still just watch the initial one. I haven't read too much BPRD yet though.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member

Here is a reading order I found in an older thread. I think somewhere in this Monty's thread someone posted a spreadsheet with the recommended reading order too.

http://thunderpeel2001.blogspot.com/2008/11/hellboy-reading-order.html?m=1

Rich Johnston has another highly intriguing piece about the current state of DC editorial vs. DC creators:

Conflict between creative and editorial is on a bit of a high right now. This does vary from editor to editor it seems but the common thread is that plots and scripts are accepted from writers to an editorial brief… only for that editorial brief to change and the entire issue needing rewriting from scratch. Again and again. Plot elements suddenly parachuted in to already written, in some cases drawn books.

The problem is not so much editorial interference but inconsistent interference. Minds change, directions change, constantly. This also scuppers long term plans from DC’s writers, and they have little confidence that their plots won’t be knocked off at a tangent at any stage. Who lives, who dies, it changes at the drop of a hat, it seems to come.

This may be why you haven’t heard much about Trinity War of late – as the actual war still hasn’t been worked out yet. Books are joined to the crossover and cut on a weekly basis. It’s currently onto its fourth version, that I’m aware of. Even the FCBD preview had to have art changes so that it was Baz being attacked, not Hal Jordan. There are big mystery characters, the identity of which keeps changing internally week to week. Villains Month had the ideas parachuted in, but then the details of these changed. And then plots had to fit the new gatefold covers, some writers were given the cover reveal as a de facto plot point that now had to have that issue rewritten to reflect.

There are ways to get around this. Be Grant Morrison. To a slightly lesser extent, be Scott Snyder. Or ideally, be one of Scott Snyder’s proteges and get some measure of protection by using him as a buffer.

But I understand that there is the feeling being expressed amongst DC creators I’ve talked to, from the rebellious to the compliant, that things have to change. That comics writers be given their shot to see what they can do. And specifically challenge those last minute changes to the comics, and the feeling of constantly working in fear of the next mad idea they’ll have to accommodate.

But the example I was most specifically given against this argument is that DC doesn’t want to have 52 Batman Odyssey‘s on their hands, the highly idiosyncratic Batman book from Neal Adams that ran this year and last, which though enjoyed by many attracted much criticism.

More at the link, including more on the Jim Zub firing and a comparison to Marvel.

I think, and maybe some other BPRD supporter will come in here, that the Hellboy/BPRD thing is kind of like Buffy/Angel tv show, where a series splits off of the first but you can still just watch the initial one. I haven't read too much BPRD yet though.

I've read (and cherish) all of BPRD, and you can read them completely separate from each other. I'd go through Hellboy first, just because a lot of characters from there end up in BPRD, but BPRD follows its own thread and, aside from some "Oh look who's on TV in this bar" type mentions, it's totally standalone.

omgkitty

I've read (and cherish) all of BPRD, and you can read them completely separate from each other. I'd go through Hellboy first, just because a lot of characters from there end up in BPRD, but BPRD follows its own thread and, aside from some "Oh look who's on TV in this bar" type mentions, it's totally standalone.

That's what I needed to know. Thank you sir!

That's what I needed to know. Thank you sir!

Welcome to your new favorite comic. BPRD is really the only comic I know (aside from the brilliant indie COPRA) where anything can happen. I don't want to spoil anything, but there are no limits to how bad things can get. And it's done while retaining the same pulpy, entertaining tone, without wallowing in the kind of grim theatrics someone like Kirkman can never seem to resist.

Amazing stuff, month in and month out. The only drag is that
a) Dark Horse's digital initiative is garbage
b) Their regular trades are expensive

This makes their omnibuses (which do come out regularly, thankfully) your best bet collectionwise. But this means you either buy it monthly in print, or you wait for months and months. There's no in between.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom