• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| January 2013. "Read more comics"? Now that's a resolution I can keep!

Status
Not open for further replies.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
NO. Lobdell's Generation X is one of my favourite books ever and it's a master class on how to write a good teen super hero book. Wiccan and Hulkling are BALLS. Nothing will change these 2 facts.

I liked Young Avengers, still. 4/6 good characters is decent.

Shit's 20 years old bro. Lobdell currently floundering so hard on TT and it's sad.

Shit's 20 years old bro. Lobdell currently floundering so hard on TT and it's sad.

Yeah, I know. Teen Titans is depressing. But it really hasn't been good since John's left way back when.

It's just ironic that he's calling out Lobdell when trying to defend a sub-par first issue of a teen book, when Lobdell already wrote an iconic one.

Boring? Wiccan and Hulkling are far more intersting than some of you choads.

Teen romance in a comic that Gillen explained would have teen romance. Go the fuck figure.

ElNarez

Banned
It's truth but it hurts. I would love for a GOOD Teen Titans to be happening right now. DC is squandering the hell out of their teen heroes at the moment.

Made the post thinking about Superman, but yeah, Scott Lobdell's Teen Titans is one of the blandest books available on the shelves. It's like the man is scared to death of the idea of giving personalities to characters. He may have done better at some point, but Teen Titans is tripe.

I didn't even like Young Avengers that much. I mean, it was smart and well done, but it was a little too clean and rigid. To me, and I'm sorry if I sound like I'm obsessed with this dumbass concept, the Teenage Experience is a mess. It's as exhilarating as it's scary and weird and confusing and random and dumb. It's a jumbled mess of feelings that don't make any sense, except when they do. And except for the fight scenes where McKelvie is let loose, there's none of that in YA #1. It looks like it's gonna get there, with that crazy cliffhanger the book has, but the first issue needed a bit more unbridled hubris.

(Still a much better book than Teen Titans, though)

Who else y'all want on the Young Avengers? I want Anya Corazon, Cassie Lang, Butterball and Reptil.

And Phonogram, that shit needs to be hardcover. We need more hardcovers.

Acid08

Banned
Sounds like the second printing of the Fear Agent hc is donezo. I asked my so if they could order it and that's a no go. Amazon isn't taking orders anymore either.

No problem with teen romance, just shoddy writing.

Exactly. Wiccan and Hulkling have sucked since 2005 and Gillen hasn't changed that... yet.

Who else y'all want on the Young Avengers? I want Anya Corazon, Cassie Lang, Butterball and Reptil.

I want to see Speed and Patriot back, but Araña and Butterball would be awesome.

It's shit teen romance, is the thing.

Anyway, in less boring-ass Wiccan/Hulkling news, I recently re-discovred Brendon McCarthy/Peter Milligan's Strange Days all over again. I'm pretty sure it started the trend of superheroes wearing jackets. And it's a bitchin' jacket!

ju2AVMjveM42f.jpg

jAo69UxgcAFmm.jpg

It's like the superhero version of the Thriller jacket or some shit

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like

Gay love triangle with Anole, just to piss off all these haters.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
It's truth but it hurts. I would love for a GOOD Teen Titans to be happening right now. DC is squandering the hell out of their teen heroes at the moment.

They've always squandered their teen heroes. Mostly dead or straight up forgotten

This is my first time posting in a comics thread. I've been reading a lot lately. Last month I read all of the Walking Dead comics. I absolutely love the series. I read 106 yesterday. Can't wait to see what happens next.

I also started reading Y the last man. A lot of my friends really like it so I'm checking it out.

Anyways, I wanted to ask GAF, I really like super hero comics. It doesn't matter if it's DC or Marvel, any good series out right now? I saw a bunch in the OT. Are there any worth getting into?

Acid08

Banned
This is my first time posting in a comics thread. I've been reading a lot lately. Last month I read all of the Walking Dead comics. I absolutely love the series. I read 106 yesterday. Can't wait to see what happens next.

I also started reading Y the last man. A lot of my friends really like it so I'm checking it out.

Anyways, I wanted to ask GAF, I really like super hero comics. It doesn't matter if it's DC or Marvel, any good series out right now? I saw a bunch in the OT. Are there any worth getting into?
Hawkeye bro

A REAL HERO AND A REAL HUMAN BEING A REAL HERO AND A REAL HUMAN BEING A REAL HERO AND A REAL HUMAN BEING A REAL HERO AND A REAL HUMAN BEING A REAL HERO AND A REAL HUMAN BEING A REAL HERO AND A REAL HUMAN BEING

ElNarez

Banned
Yo, do we have anyone up for the February thread? It's one week from now, let's get our logistics game ON. (I totally have a take for the next thread but I don't want to step on any toes.)

Yo, do we have anyone up for the February thread? It's one week from now, let's get our logistics game ON. (I totally have a take for the next thread but I don't want to step on any toes.)

Why don't you team up with Spike so we can keep his badass banner?

A REAL HERO AND A REAL HUMAN BEING A REAL HERO AND A REAL HUMAN BEING A REAL HERO AND A REAL HUMAN BEING A REAL HERO AND A REAL HUMAN BEING A REAL HERO AND A REAL HUMAN BEING A REAL HERO AND A REAL HUMAN BEING

Real Mutant Being

Am I the only one experiencing issues with purchasing comics via Comixology at the moment? I have been attempting to complete checkout of Star Trek: Ongoing Vol 1 through 3 since this morning and have encountered the same error every time:

"System Error: The checkout processes could not be continued due to a failed system process involving the retrieval of your account information."

I have been in communication with customer support but have still not been able to resolve the issue. As a result, the items I wanted to purchase have reverted back to their original price prior to the Countdown to Darkness sale. :/ Has anyone encountered this error and following, a solution? I'd appreciate any help.

Blader

Yo, if you don't want teen drama in your superhero book, DO NOT BUY THE SUPERHERO BOOK ABOUT TEENS. Drama is an integral part of the fucking Teen Experience. It's part of the package. You want super happy brain dead punch time, get something else, there's probably a book for you, written by Scott Lobdell.

Are those our only two options: teen drama and super happy brain dead punch time?

ElNarez

Banned
Are those our only two options: teen drama and super happy brain dead punch time?

FACT : There's only two reasons people read teen superhero comics. A) They're brainwashed and re-programmed to go to their local comic store at least once a month to buy their title, not able to see things for what they truly are, thinking there are people out there who still give a shit about the Legion of Superheroes in Twenty-Flipping-Thirteen. They consider sending their vote for the next Legion leader, but then they remember that, as part of the process that made them life-long Legion purchasers, their capacity for independent thought, mastery of the english language and ability to write has been removed, as it would otherwise lead them to realize that Legion stories are mostly shit.

B) They're people who, having spent most of their time balls deep in dumbass comic books, have forgotten what interacting with other human beings is like, and who seek more of said dumbass comic books to vicariously live the stories of the characters they read about. Realizing most of the mistakes in their lives that took them to this point happened during their formative years, they harp on comics featuring heroes in their teenage years, thinking that, had they shown the resolve of Kate Bishop, or the incredibly powerful love of Wiccan and Hulking, or Noh-Varr's never-ending admiration of all the little things, they too could be special, and live stories that are worth telling. But they aren't. They're just sad frenchmen who only get out of the house on Wednesday to buy comics that they hate, and who then spend all day spewing bile on said comics, thinking they're clever, but they aren't, they're just sad, and they need to hide their cries for help in elaborate posts, whose initial starting points were about belittling people much happier than he'll ever be, like Legion of Super-Heroes fans.

But really, as I said earlier, teenage drama is the raison d'être of teenage comics. It's not really interesting to see well-adjusted people having fun and leading care-free lives, and even if it was, it's not really what being a teenager is about. Why else do you think everyone's obsessed with removing from Peter Parker anything that might age him? Teenagers bring drama, and drama brings great stories.

As I mentioned a few pages back I already have the February OT done except for the "Bullhorn" segment, which I have an idea for but haven't gotten to putting words into yet. Everything else is done and ready to copy/paste.

FACT : There's only two reasons people read teen superhero comics. A) They're brainwashed and re-programmed to go to their local comic store at least once a month to buy their title, not able to see things for what they truly are, thinking there are people out there who still give a shit about the Legion of Superheroes in Twenty-Flipping-Thirteen. They consider sending their vote for the next Legion leader, but then they remember that, as part of the process that made them life-long Legion purchasers, their capacity for independent thought, mastery of the english language and ability to write has been removed, as it would otherwise lead them to realize that Legion stories are mostly shit.

B) They're people who, having spent most of their time balls deep in dumbass comic books, have forgotten what interacting with other human beings is like, and who seek more of said dumbass comic books to vicariously live the stories of the characters they read about. Realizing most of the mistakes in their lives that took them to this point happened during their formative years, they harp on comics featuring heroes in their teenage years, thinking that, had they shown the resolve of Kate Bishop, or the incredibly powerful love of Wiccan and Hulking, or Noh-Varr's never-ending admiration of all the little things, they too could be special, and live stories that are worth telling. But they aren't. They're just sad frenchmen who only get out of the house on Wednesday to buy comics that they hate, and who then spend all day spewing bile on said comics, thinking they're clever, but they aren't, they're just sad, and they need to hide their cries for help in elaborate posts, whose initial starting points were about belittling people much happier than he'll ever be, like Legion of Super-Heroes fans.

But really, as I said earlier, teenage drama is the raison d'être of teenage comics. It's not really interesting to see well-adjusted people having fun and leading care-free lives, and even if it was, it's not really what being a teenager is about. Why else do you think everyone's obsessed with removing from Peter Parker anything that might age him? Teenagers bring drama, and drama brings great stories.
You sound exactly like one of those brahs in your post.

Owzers

Fantastic Four #2 reads like it should have been what #1 ended with so that something interesting could have happened in the second issue. Instead...zzzzzzzzzz It's like the did an issue one remake for the second issue.

Blader

My eyes glazed over about halfway through, but I just want to point that I'm all for interesting, well-written teen drama in comics (or any medium). I loved BKV's Runaways, for example. But there's nothing interesting or well-written about Wiccan and Hulking's dynamic. It's only ever just the two of them telling each other how much they love each other all the fucking time, and nothing else. It's boring.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Fantastic Four #2 reads like it should have been what #1 ended with so that something interesting could have happened in the second issue. Instead...zzzzzzzzzz It's like the did an issue one remake for the second issue.

Yes. The story in both needed to be condensed. It probably wouldn't have worked as a single issue (oversized maybe) but these two chapters should have been more like a chapter and a half.

My eyes glazed over about halfway through, but I just want to point that I'm all for interesting, well-written teen drama in comics (or any medium). I loved BKV's Runaways, for example. But there's nothing interesting or well-written about Wiccan and Hulking's dynamic. It's only ever just the two of them telling each other how much they love each other all the fucking time, and nothing else. It's boring.

Wasn't there only one scene with them together in the whole book?

LiQuid!

Wasn't there only one scene with them together in the whole book?

Sounds like a lot of residual butthurt over Heinberg. Gillen will elevate them to more than just the sum of their mushiness. Mark my words.

Fantomex

Gotta disagree here. Black Beetle is baaaad imo.

Francvilla's art is awesome but that story has been told a thousand times before and its been done better.

I'll take Shadow and Lobster Johnson over that black beetle garbage any day.

Good day sir,

I totally understand where you're coming from. I am a Lobster Johnson man myself. Yet I feel there is enough room in the genre for the black beetle and his awesome copter. Besides, this is an indy book. And indy books deter terrorists. You don't support terrorist? do you bro?

Good day sir,

I totally understand where you're coming from. I am a Lobster Johnson man myself. Yet I feel there is enough room in the genre for the black beetle and his awesome copter. Besides, this is an indy book. And indy books deter terrorists. You don't support terrorist? do you bro?

The thing that bugged me about Black Beetle is it's one of the first books I've read where I could really notice it was drawn digitally, especially around the sound effects.

I also prefer Lobster Johnson, but sure there's enough room for everyone.

Acid08

Banned
Black Beetle has familiar tropes for sure but I think it's too early to say that the exact story had been done before. Still three issues left in this arc.

Good day sir,

His copter is pretty cool. That splash was awesome.

It was almost as if Francavilla was just going through the motions (writing wise). Felt like I was reading Brubaker at the end of his Cap run.

Too each his own!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom