• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| January 2015. So many variants you'd swear it's 1995 instead.

Vyer

Headed home from work soon, only had time for Batman and Multiversity this morning, but damn what a combo.

Batman last page had me shook

SoilBreak

Banned
xDdQAnp.jpg

http://www.newsarama.com/23361-bend...timate-end-to-marvel-s-ultimate-universe.html

Nice to have Uncanny Avengers back in my life. Agreed with what frye said, it was very much a low-key issue and that's fine after Axis. I think this new team is gonna be fun to follow as I already enjoyed Remender writing Quicksilver and more Sabretooth. Looking forward to the next issue.

If you're looking forward to getting into the series, this works okay as a starting point. Nothing too steep in continuity and it basically goes over everything you need to know from Axis within the issue. The only thing I can see being a little confused about for new readers is the Wonder Man stuff but that's really just one thing and it's not even complicated.

Oh yeah, and Acuna's art was great as always. The opening scene was awesome looking. Everyone in their costumes look super stylish.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Reminder that it's under The Superior Foes, T; not S.

Messi, get crazy on that guy. Crazier than he.

ive read everything available on MU, its amazing. well...it starts amazing, then drags a bit to just very good

Nudull

Banned
The Ultimate Universe is deader than the deadest dead that has ever been dead, once and for all, for real this time.

Everyone except Miles is a goner.

Their hi res is about 60% of CMX, though. You should see their low res stuff. Fixed width is basically worthless on their garbage renders.

Trust me, dude. I've been through all this, but I'm pretty sure I'm the only one on Earth who notices or cares about this stuff.

Like check out the Multiverse Guidebook this week. Looks like a DC book finally caught what I refer to as DigiRot. It's that thing where somehow, probably in the render sent to CMX from the publisher, the line art layer gets like this weird pixelly grit to it, while the lettering layer still remains perfectly smooth.

It's not a resolution problem, because there's no blur when you zoom in, it's a problem with the file itself. When it first started happening, in Original Sin #1, I sent a ticket into CMX and they got a replacement, presumably from Marvel. After a few more times, they just stopped caring I guess, and said there was nothing they can do.

DC stuff has been immune to it until now. I blame The Gentry.

Like I said, though, literally no one else in the world has noticed this and thus no one's doing anything about it.
Is this what you mean - I remembered I sent Comixology an email about this back in 2012 (quoted the only bit of the email where my image example links still work):

Me said:

Comixology said:
Sorry it's taken so long to get to your email. We've been busy with this and similar problems, actually, and that's why I haven't responded sooner.

Comics that look "overly sharpened" cannot be altered too much, I'm afraid. There'll be fewer of them in the future due to an update we made in our processes but they have more to do with how the art was created, and how source file was made by the publisher than how they're edited and processed by us, which is why you notice it quite a bit with DC comics and not as much with other comics like SAGA. They have their own policies. We never sharpen low res files to produce higher res ones, we only work from high res files to produce the lower res ones. The best we can do is ask the publisher to provide us a better quality high res file for us to work with. Unfortunately, we cannot quite dictate how they create their own files.

Thanks for contacting us though,

Effigy #1 (words by Tim Seeley, art by Marley Zarcone) was pretty decent. It's a new Vertigo book about a murder mystery and cultish celebrity culture. Main character is a washed up former child actress known for playing a sentai-esque space cop, now a real cop. I really liked the art but the opening pages kiiiiiinda made me wish Marley Zarcone was just drawing a space cop book.

I don't know how much stuff about "washed up celebs" and ~celebrity culture~ I need but this actually went in a different direction than i was expecting, so i'm on board.

If I haven't read Axis, would Uncanny Avengers still be accessible?
As I said in my post, it goes over pretty much everything you would need to know on the summary page within the issue. The only thing that would be lost on a new reader is the references to Wonder Man which was from the previous run of Uncanny Avengers and not Axis.
Effigy #1 (words by Tim Seeley, art by Marley Zarcone) was pretty decent. It's a new Vertigo book about a murder mystery and cultish celebrity culture. Main character is a washed up former child actress known for playing a sentai-esque space cop, now a real cop. I really liked the art but the opening pages kiiiiiinda made me wish Marley Zarcone was just drawing a space cop book.

I don't know how much stuff about "washed up celebs" and ~celebrity culture~ I need but this actually went in a different direction than i was expecting, so i'm on board.
Was interested in this but I was spending too much today as is. Glad to hear it's good though, I'll check it out sometime.

Really thought Galactus would finish the job.

What even happened in that Hunger story line? I remember it coming out but not really being discussed a lot on comics GAF. Anyone got a breakdown of Galactus wrecking stuff? Any deaths, how he was defeated/if he's still around etc.

NeonZ

Snyder still playing is he or isn't he, or has he started to lean more one way?

Unless the story ends up with a really lame "it's all a dream ending",
it seems pretty much confirmed that Joker is ancient and has in his blood something better than the Lazarus pit water, giving him immortality, similar to the Vandal Savage, who gets mentioned here even.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Unless the story ends up with a really lame "it's all a dream ending",
it seems pretty much confirmed that Joker is ancient and has in his blood something better than the Lazarus pit water, giving him immortality, similar to the Vandal Savage, who gets mentioned here even.

It could very well be that
the virus has some of that new fear gas stuff in it, maybe that was the chemical he fell into during zero year. This just all seems to surreal to be played straight, there's something else going on

Marvel said they were going forward with Lemire's new Hawkeye despite Hawkguy not being finished, right?

Yep. It's already solicited, so it's coming out.

I think it's the right call. It's massively disrespectful to the new team otherwise. There hasn't been an issue since, what, September?

I hope the last two issues are amazing though.

Not the first time, marvel did something like that. Steve mcniven took too long on old man Logan that the next issue( awesome Jason Aaron 2 parter) came out before.

Wolverine 74 iirc

Sou Da

It's kind of odd that it seems like all these events are ignoring how Ultimate Peter came back. He wasn't in Spider-verse, and seems to be nowhere here either.

He's purposefully not involved in anything involving superheroes by choice, you'll probably see him in Ultimate End though.

It's not even the first time Hawkeye did it! We got 16 before 15. Blows my mind that anyone ever thought it was Fraction responsible for the delays over Aja.

ElNarez

Banned
Casanova Acedia I was WHOAAAAAAAAAAAAA

this is the good stuff, this is the pure uncut Fraction stuff

it's fucking back y'all

Cheska

All this talk about Batman
which was amazing
but the book you guys should really be reading is Uncanny X-Men. WTFFFFFFFFF ;_;

ElNarez

Banned
All this talk about Batman
which was amazing
but the book you guys should really be reading is Uncanny X-Men. WTFFFFFFFFF ;_;

oh yeah, Uncanny is just Going For It. It's full-on crazy X-Men stuff, the good kind. I have NO IDEA where this could be going but I really want to find out.

PS: The Multiversity Guidebook was the best JL8 story ever

still got 2 hours of work, can't read Casanova yet

fuck this

also stray bullets was delayed from this week to next week noooooooo

but that means stray bullets and hawkeye on the same week awwww shit nigga

Sou Da

oh yeah, Uncanny is just Going For It. It's full-on crazy X-Men stuff, the good kind. I have NO IDEA where this could be going but I really want to find out.

PS: The Multiversity Guidebook was the best JL8 story ever

It was actually a bit tough to read, Chibi Dick just kept suffering.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Right? Filthy Slug needs to get his sick ass to the shop and grab his copy so we can discuss this greatness.

Okay, got a belly full of burrito and a head full of sick, but I'm heading to the shop in a few. I won't be back 'til way later, but I'm reading it right when I get home.

Also, way more of Comics-GAF should check out Casanova, 'cause it's absolutely excellent.

Okay, got a belly full of burrito and a head full of sick, but I'm heading to the shop in a few. I won't be back 'til way later, but I'm reading it right when I get home.

Also, way more of Comics-GAF should check out Casanova, 'cause it's absolutely excellent.

I'm still catching up but I need the third hardcover to come out before I buy the new stuff. I've really enjoyed what I've read so far though.

ElNarez

Banned

The way I put it is: all the tricks you like from Fraction's Marvel stuff, he did first in Casanova. Read it, then re-read Hawkeye, and it's revelatory.

The zombie head is almost 1:1 to the original sculpt. That's the one I love the most. The other head isn't even facing the right direction.

Let's call it Winona Ryder head. Because I'm telling you, that's exactly who it looks like. I didn't even look at Zombie head, but maybe I'll swap it if it looks that good.

Top Bottom