• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| January 2017 This is the Dawning of the Age of Apocalypse

Dalek

Hey,

Just thought I'd say hello, after lurking for a while (not in a dark alley kind of way) I thought I'd start posting this year. It helps my logins finally been confirmed after 2 months.

I've read comics for years since the old uk pannini essential xmen starting up but have got some good recommendations from you guys/gals recently (Giant Days, Squirrel Girl, 4 Kids Walk Into A Bank) so thanks. Managed to meet a lot of the writers/artists at Thought Bubble con near where I live recently and pick up some goodies too. I'll post a pic at some point if I remember. John Allison may be the nicest guy ever to meet at a con.

Any friend of Squirrel Girl is a friend of mine.

rac

Banned
Definitely read Ellis and Shalvey's Moon Knight. Stand alone, but fun and essential.

Duggan's Nova run is brilliant, and the Loeb/McGuinness "launch" of Sam as Nova is tremendous.

Both should give a little context for the current runs.

thanks

i honestly have no idea how you people don't get overwhelmed by the amount of comics you read. i have a bunch of trades just sitting on my desk and even that feels like too much.

DO NOT READ THE WICKED + THE DIVINE. FULL STOP. I emphatically regret reading this comic because it's all I'm going to be able to think about for weeks now. Issue 25 is a really terrible point to be left hanging too. Plus, since it started in 2014 and as of Jan 2017 there are 25 issues, I also know that there are breaks of a variety lengthy. I want to read 50 more issues that don't exist. I hate this.

This is literally my opinion exactly.

I'm so mad right now.

Normally I'd say one of the few benefits of trade waiting for me is avoiding the cliff hangers, but having to wait the big gap between the end of volume 2 and that continuing in 3 was just as bad.

There sadly probably won't be another 50 issues of wicked/divine made, by the sounds of it there thinking of coming to end of the story in the late 40 issues.

DO NOT READ THE WICKED + THE DIVINE. FULL STOP. I emphatically regret reading this comic because it's all I'm going to be able to think about for weeks now. Issue 25 is a really terrible point to be left hanging too. Plus, since it started in 2014 and as of Jan 2017 there are 25 issues, I also know that there are breaks of a variety lengthy. I want to read 50 more issues that don't exist. I hate this.

This is literally my opinion exactly.

I'm so mad right now.
Gillen and McKelvie are planning on around 40 issues counting specials and other non-normal issues.

Oh my god Shade was SO GOOD. I can't stop thinking about it. I love this book.

I really like the thread title this month btw, Messi/freeza

Captain America: Steve Rogers #8
I love this book. I can't not love it. STEVE ROGERS IS THE GREATEST VILLAIN THE MARVEL UNIVERSE HAS EVER KNOWN. And I'm going to be sad when this is over.

Really sad.

On a different note: I'm glad to see this
Quasar plotline actually going somewhere. I'm very interested into what Hill's plans for her are. I'm also curious to see if he actually planned for her to show up or if Steve's tirade was all for show. They didn't go into that at all. I do hope it wasn't planned, if only because I don't want Steve being invincible.

Owzers

I'm not liking atomic robo as much as I thought I would, it has great moments but bad arcs, four trades in so far with the fourth being finished last night. I have up to vol 8 to read, with 8 having the most dinosaur potential.

Christian

Wait, so Sam Alexandar Nova is worth reading now? I was always under the impression it was horribly disappointing after the Abnett/Lanning run.

mreddie

Wait, so Sam Alexandar Nova is worth reading now? I was always under the impression it was horribly disappointing after the Abnett/Lanning run.

Duggan Era Nova is legit and helps make the character likeable and Loveness seems to get both Sam and Rich without shitting on one because one's old/new.

Messi

Lazarus #25: Oct 12, 2016
Lazarus #26: Feb 22, 2017

Mid arc. They took a longer hiatus before this arc to make sure this wouldn't happen. Great book, but really annoying delays.

Malyse

thanks

i honestly have no idea how you people don't get overwhelmed by the amount of comics you read. i have a bunch of trades just sitting on my desk and even that feels like too much.

Why are you assuming I'm not? I have whole things I haven't even started like Doctor Strange and Scarlet Witch on top of the absolutely obscene weekly pulls.

----

Prolly gonna drop Supes if there's a crossover coming. Those rarely affect the status quo and generally dislike DC events. I fully skipped Monster Men and felt like I missed nothing.

thanks

Usually I just forget that I'm reading certain books. Then they show up in my box and I go "OH! That's right!"

Basically, if reading a book becomes an obligation, then drop it. Comics were meant to be enjoyed as an entertainment medium, not completed like some menial task.

Caught up with Action Comics. It's ok. I prefer Tomasi's Superman. Just started The Omega Men.

Action has gotten better, but I don't think it compares to Tomasi's Superman at all.

I feel like DC has an issue of not knowing what to really cover between Action, Superwoman and pretty much everthing that is in the Super sphere of people and what has come about in that universe. Tomasi seems content on just wanting to do his own thing and it's working but it leaves the other Super books to pick up a lot of stuff that's been set up in that sphere. You have 2 Lois' an extra Kent, Super Luthor, Lana, Luthor's sister(can't remember name) you have the Oz stuff just sitting around. Then both books are trying to tell their own story and either feels weird and disjointed at time in Action or completely overwrought and bloated in the case of Superwoman.

Edit:Omega Men is a god damn masterpiece.

Why are you assuming I'm not? I have whole things I haven't even started like Doctor Strange and Scarlet Witch on top of the absolutely obscene weekly pulls.

----

Prolly gonna drop Supes if there's a crossover coming. Those rarely affect the status quo and generally dislike DC events. I fully skipped Monster Men and felt like I missed nothing.
It's 4 issues total and it seems more involved with Action Comics(
going by what we know we'll find out about Mr. Oz, have some sort of Superman Red/Blue callback and the truth behind "Clark Kent" who most are guessing is Superboy Prime
).

Action has gotten better, but I don't think it compares to Tomasi's Superman at all.

I feel like DC has an issue of not knowing what to really cover between Action, Superwoman and pretty much everthing that is in the Super sphere of people and what has come about in that universe. Tomasi seems content on just wanting to do his own thing and it's working but it leaves the other Super books to pick up a lot of stuff that's been set up in that sphere. You have 2 Lois' an extra Kent, Super Luthor, Lana, Luthor's sister(can't remember name) you have the Oz stuff just sitting around. Then both books are trying to tell their own story and either feels weird and disjointed at time in Action or completely overwrought and bloated in the case of Superwoman.

I just need Luthor to get his own book already. Jurgens isn't delivering on the Superior Superman hype.

I just need Luthor to get his own book already. Jurgens isn't delivering on the Superior Superman hype.

I was really anticipating Action because some of the stuff they said before Rebirth made it seem like it was going to be mainly a Luthor book. At least the current story is dealing somewhat with what happened to him during Darkseid War.

Malyse

It's 4 issues total and it seems more involved with Action Comics(
going by what we know we'll find out about Mr. Oz, have some sort of Superman Red/Blue callback and the truth behind "Clark Kent" who most are guessing is Superboy Prime
).

Four issues I'm not reading.

Ross61

I feel it's obvious they have a plan with Action and Superman. With Superman Reborn and all.

Edit: All I got from those inteviews was a new status quo for Luthor. Didn't think we were gonna get a book. Plus I can't think of somebody that can keep a Luthor book afloat above cancellation numbers.

Fury451

Banned
thanks

I can't speak for everyone but I have a bigger backlog of comics that video games at this point

We are absolutely spoiled in this day and age with good comics.

Christian

thanks

I have an obscene backlog, and I just keep adding to it. I'm starting with Busiek's Avengers and Thunderbolts and working my way forward, and I'm pretty sure I'm never going to get current. I'm pretty much no use when it comes to discussions in this thread, and any time I try to discuss what I'm reading, people have seemingly moved on, so... but I enjoy reading the conversations in here, regardless. And I love what I'm reading. So it's all good.

I do all of my comics reading on the commute to/from my work. It's not that long but it's good enough to read at least most part of a manga tankobon.

Messi, I need a non-Sunstone Sejic piece for my first 2017 avatar. Thinking about his Donna Troy...

Which one do you think I should use?

Nova: My god, Rich just shitting on Marvel's youth movement and CW2.

I read it more as him being shit on. He's talking to the three people who feel the same way, because they quit the fucking avengers lol

It rebooted two issues ago. It's been better. Nova still sucks as a character though.

i don't think even mcguinness' art was as vibrant and alive as perez is on this book. it's astonishing work.

Yeah, I like Action Comics. I'm on board with it and don't plan on dropping it, but I really, really like Superman. For what it's worth, I enjoyed Tomasi's Batman and Robin as well.

Lucky's is great and Golden Age ain't bad but yeah it's a real bummer

Lucky's is an amazing book store with great zines, but it's not a proper comic shop. Golden Age is balls. Over priced and they staff a cantankerous ass. Still, the runs I've started on floppy, I'll move there. I'm left with little choice.

From now on when I start a new series, I'll do so digitally. But I'm going to be a lot less inclined to start new series.

Top Bottom