• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| January 2017 This is the Dawning of the Age of Apocalypse

Now we must define Hickmanliness to make sure we're talking about the same thing. I'm talking about his tendency to approach stories like an architect, building an elaborate frame and then filling it with rooms.

By this measure, I consider Manhattan Projects one of the least Hickmanliest of his books, because it progresses much more like a normal story, expanding in scope at a fairly normal rate and utilizing characterization and plots that feel like they sprang organically from each other during the process of writing the book.

Given this definition, you are correct, East of West is the Hickmanliest book. I was going with his more off-beat, sci-fi style of story, where the plotting is straightforward, but it's all about the big ideas. Manhattan Projects, Pax Romana, Transhuman, Fantastic Four, and seemingly Frontier before it was delayed. Similar in vein to Ellis, though Ellis' stories tend to lean harder on brevity and cold brutality.

Duggan's Deadpool continues to impress me with how consistently good it is.

Duggan is Marvel's Tomasi. I wouldn't say he's a superstar who's going to lead a crossover or anything, but his work is consistently great and I buy his work sight unseen. They've both earned my trust.

Vigilante Southland will now just be collected. Issues are returnable.

Nice:
c17behmwqaaolvtnssvz.jpg

I think though its early days yet BMM could turn out to be the hickmanliest book so far - get all the usual throwing crazyness in and slow revealing the meanings plus a good chuck of Hickmans graphic design past on the layouts and charts of family trees and everything - you get Hickman writer and Hickman graphic designer, its double the Hickman

yeah can't think of many on goings that would go on my greatest list, Sagas good but for me has its ups and downs that stop it being top tier, maybe its harder in longer running series to keep up quality all the time. If it was still ongoing rather than just finished Vision would be on there.

Catching up on Marvel:

Spider-Man

Now I see what someone was saying about Miles barely being a character in his own book. I'm glad it all ended up being a test, because I was confused as hell. Issue was fine, but the dad being a focus is kind of bleh.

Civil War II

It's over! Fuck Carol!

Hulk

I really dug this. Between the creepy/awesome client and Jenn dealing with her trauma all seems very interesting.

Spider-Woman

They had to deal with Roger's left behind life sooner or later and I really like the way they're dealing with it here.

This weeks DC:

The Flash

Mostly a set up issue and it seemed a little drawn out but I liked this and the last issue a lot more than this book has been lately.

JL vs SS

It's the action issue. Leading up to this I was wanting it, but I can't say I was 100% satisfied with what we got. Also kind of disappointed in the target.

Red Hood and the Outlaws

I love this god damn book. This issue by all accounts feels like it should be pretty meh, but the interactions we get and the overall feel of the book is just great. Artemis joking with Jason to take on Bizarro in her place was great, them being called the "Dark Trinity" in the actual book was great. Even Black Mask being left with the Orphanage woman in the end, everything was just great. I can't get enough of this book. I'm glad they're now a team and we're ready to move on to an actual story with them as a team from the outset.

Action Comics

Enjoyed the issue but not much really happened. I'm starting to get annoyed by this mystery Clark.

Anyone check out Grave Lilies? It's a Bunn joint, but it looks pretty much unlike most of what he's written. Also, the art style looks interesting

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Also the idea that they weren't involved in the build up to Secret Wars if they have this enormous fleet is... not super plausible.

Is this their first appearence since Secret Wars? They were one of the biggest player in the galaxy in the Ultimate Universe and I expect them to be merged in this "new" universe.

Is this their first appearence since Secret Wars? They were one of the biggest player in the galaxy in the Ultimate Universe and I expect them to be merged in this "new" universe.
Their pre-SW 616 appearances were(let's see if I can remember this)a fleet of whaleships from the movie that got destroyed by Nova, underlings for Nebula in GotG Team-Up who Gamora recognized as chitauri and attacking Spartax in GotG. After SW they've been in Uncanny Inhumans, Sam Wilson, Steve Rogers, GoI, GotG, Nova and some more places.

No one seems to know what to do with them. When was the last time we had a Skrull heavy arc in a book?

Is Brian Wood worth it is a deeply personal question you need to ask yourself.

Oh great. I just wanna read an original and finished comic that is also good. This does kinda ruin it, and I know Conan aint original. Should I just drop it? Unless, its amazing...

Wasn't able to get into mind mgmt, maybe try again

Reading the Brian Wood run of Conan. Seems cool so far, is it worth it though?
Brian Wood writes boring comics but those comics are always drawn really well.

Becky Cloonan, Declan Shalvey and James Harren do the art with Dave Stewart doing colors on that Conan run so if you want to read Conan comics drawn by those people you could do with some average ass writing.

If you happen to be someone that cares about not buying books from creators who sexually harassed others you might not wanna buy any Brian Wood comics.

Brian Wood writes boring comics but those comics are always drawn really well.

Becky Cloonan, Declan Shalvey and James Harren do the art with Dave Stewart doing colors on that Conan run so if you want to read Conan comics drawn by those people you could do with some average ass writing.

If you happen to be someone that cares about not buying books from creators who sexually harassed others you might not wanna buy any Brian Wood comics.

The only Brian Wood comics I like are Mara and his run on Ultimate Comics X-Men. Although Mara kinda jumped the shark towards the end.

Edit: He somehow still gets a lot of female artist doing interiors and covers for his comics. Tula Lotay is doing the covers for Briggs Land.

Top Bottom