• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| January 2017 This is the Dawning of the Age of Apocalypse

TheFlow

Banned
I got the BL tpb for christmas from my podcasting partner. Man it's some of the best comics I've read and reads more like a marvel book than some of the DC books of the time. (A thing for most of the none JL related books).

this is why we need DC unlimited. for us only digital readers

Messi

I haven't read the new Deadly Class arc BUT
I FUCKING HATE THESE NEW PEOPLE. Fuck off. go away and never come back.

Was anyone else disappointed to read the "we only use 10% of our brains" nonsense in the new Deathstroke? It's amazing how much traction that dumb idea gets despite scientists regularly trying to set the record straight. That along with the DEFCON system almost always being handled wrong in movies are two silly media pet peeves I have.

Priest is great, and he's doing good work with Deathstroke, but that was a disappointment.
Considering one of Deathstroke's big powers is "can use full capacity of his mind," you either bring that idea back, or remove it as a power entirely. I remember his past solo series just made it so he had perfect recall and the ability to process information much faster.

kmfdmpig

Considering one of Deathstroke's big powers is "can use full capacity of his mind," you either bring that idea back, or remove it as a power entirely. I remember his past solo series just made it so he had perfect recall and the ability to process information much faster.

True, it's a flaw ingrained in the history of the character. I'd prefer if they just went with him being smarter, having a better memory, and being more instinctual. The way they explained Cassandra Cain's combat skills or Midnighters could also work for Deathstroke as they all lead to the same place - better at anticipating and therefore much better at fighting.

Messi

So are you saying this is like a Trump cast replacing the original Obama cast?

I guess?

How has it been this arc? I am afraid that it went to shit after the end of the last arc. They hit such a height I kind of feel like its time to bail for fear of it failing.

How has it been this arc? I am afraid that it went to shit after the end of the last arc. They hit such a height I kind of feel like its time to bail for fear of it failing.

It hasn't been bad per se, but it's nowhere near the quality before the big shake-up.

Messi

It hasn't been bad per se, but it's nowhere near the quality before the big shake-up.

This is what I was afraid of.

I already like them more than the originals.

When I am doing the OT and I hit the image section I legit ask myself "What would Brian Fellows like to see? He pulls lots of image books". Now you do this to me. No more. Now I will wonder what Sillymonkey would like to see.

See next months and the march OT for proof that I actually do that.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
This is what I was afraid of.

When I am doing the OT and I hit the image section I legit ask myself "What would Brian Fellows like to see? He pulls lots of image books". Now you do this to me. No more. Now I will wonder what Sillymonkey would like to see.

See next months and the march OT for proof that I actually do that.

They'll grow on you. I thought they were just cheap stereotypes at first but I feel like they've moved beyond that pretty quickly.

I'm also enjoying the all the in-fighting between the schools new ruling class of assholes.

Messi

They'll grow on you. I thought they were just cheap stereotypes at first but I feel like they've moved beyond that pretty quickly.

I'm also enjoying the all the in-fighting between the schools new ruling class of assholes.

Have they fully disconnected from all the old people except Saya? :/

Deadly Class is better than Gotham Academy.

D8Kr5z1.gif

I decided to start watching Lost Girl. It's like Angel and Buffy the Vampire Slayer, but like, worse. And Canadian.

I am enjoying it though. Chick who plays Kenzie is pretty good.
True, it's a flaw ingrained in the history of the character. I'd prefer if they just went with him being smarter, having a better memory, and being more instinctual. The way they explained Cassandra Cain's combat skills or Midnighters could also work for Deathstroke as they all lead to the same place - better at anticipating and therefore much better at fighting.
Cass' "power" is so cool.

Pachimari

Hi guys. So I read comics when I was a kid, mostly Donald Duck and Spider-Man, while sometimes I got comics in German and English; two languages I didn't understand at the time, so I made up my own stories. This year I've started getting back into it, because I love superheroes so much. So far I've read 14 comic book issues, ranging from Mighty Captain Marvel to She-Hulk to Batman: Rebirth, Inhumans, Ms. Marvel, Daredevil, Immortal Iron Fist, The Unstoppable Wasp, Black Panther and The Ultimates. I will say that my primary series will be Inhumans (1998), Captain Marvel (2012), The Ultimates (2015) and Black Panther (2016).

This will also be the first time I'll subscribe to the Comics OT. :)

Are there any good Blue Marvel series? Maybe Legend of the Blue Marvel? And how is Spider-Man 2099 (2015)?

Hi guys. So I read comics when I was a kid, mostly Donald Duck and Spider-Man, while sometimes I got comics in German and English; two languages I didn't understand at the time, so I made up my own stories. This year I've started getting back into it, because I love superheroes so much. So far I've read 14 comic book issues, ranging from Mighty Captain Marvel to She-Hulk to Batman: Rebirth, Inhumans, Ms. Marvel, Daredevil, Immortal Iron Fist, The Unstoppable Wasp, Black Panther and The Ultimates. I will say that my primary series will be Inhumans (1998), Captain Marvel (2012), The Ultimates (2015) and Black Panther (2016).

This will also be the first time I'll subscribe to the Comics OT. :)

Are there any good Blue Marvel series? Maybe Legend of the Blue Marvel? And how is Spider-Man 2099 (2015)?

I haven't read any of Blue Marvel's solo stuff, but you should try Al Ewing's The Mighty Avengers, followed by Captain America and the Mighty Avengers. It's one series, renamed because Sam Wilson was on the team and then he became Cap. Regardless, it's some damn fine Avengers and Blue Marvel is on the team. Along with Luke Cage, White Tiger (Ava Ayala), Power Man (Hector Alvarez), Spectrum (Monica Rambeau), and some others (such as Sam as mentioned before) that rotate in and out.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
List:

Mighty Morphin Power Rangers #11
James Bond Hammerhead #4

Batman #15
Green Arrow #15
Justice League Vs Suicide Squad #5
Nightwing #13
Superman #15
Trinity #5

Amazing Spider-Man #23
Captain America Sam Wilson #18
Clone Conspiracy #4
Invincible Iron Man #3
Monsters Unleashed #1
Ultimates 2 #3

Decent week. JL/SS doing events right, releasing weekly so it's fresh in the memory.

Haven't caught up with comics (besides IVX) in months is anything New Gods related happening in DC Rebirth?

I want more Mister Miracle and Big Barda.

Also how's Earth 2 Society been after Earth 2 was rebooted... yet again?

Edit: MESS I had no idea Earth 2 Society was actually ending in issue 22.

kmfdmpig

Haven't caught up with comics (besides IVX) in months is anything New Gods related happening in DC Rebirth?

I want more Mister Miracle and Big Barda.

Also how's Earth 2 Society been after Earth 2 was rebooted... yet again?

Edit: MESS I had no idea Earth 2 Society was actually ending in issue 22.

Yes, a good take on Mister Miracle and Big Barda would be great. The JLI-era series would be a good source for them to look at for inspiration as that mix of family life and super-heroics mixed with a bit of humor could work well, I think. More recent takes on MM and BB have not really worked well, IMO, except for BB's use in Birds of Prey, which was solid.

Yes, a good take on Mister Miracle and Big Barda would be great. The JLI-era series would be a good source for them to look at for inspiration as that mix of family life and super-heroics mixed with a bit of humor could work well, I think. More recent takes on MM and BB have not really worked well, IMO, except for BB's use in Birds of Prey, which was solid.
I liked Johns' take on them in Darkseid War with them being disturbed during their honeymoon and Barda taking out warriors with ease while MM just stood on the side recovering from a injury while telling everyone that he's the luckiest man in the universe. Still, could've been better though.

Started reading Kill My Mother yesterday. Loving the art style. Some of the faces are a bit difficult to differentiate but that could just be me. I am horrible with remembering faces in general.

Has anyone read the Deluxe versions of Fables-and are they worth getting over the regular editions?

Bit late but yes, I do have the deluxes. Very well designed books and definitely worth getting over the regular editions! Paper quality is great too (though I can only comment on the first 9 volumes about that).

(not my pic...)

I liked Johns' take on them in Darkseid War with them being disturbed during their honeymoon and Barda taking out warriors with ease while MM just stood on the side recovering from a injury while telling everyone that he's the luckiest man in the universe. Still, could've been better though.
But in Earth 2, Barda betrayed all of the everyone and ran off with Earth 2 Starfire while Earth 2 was eaten by Apokolips

shingi70

Banned
If archie is in such bad straits that they have to cancel sonic, why would the company do something as costly getting Adam Hughes to write and draw an ongoing series and varmint covers.

Messi

If archie is in such bad straits that they have to cancel sonic, why would the company do something as costly getting Adam Hughes to write and draw an ongoing series and varmint covers.

Because people like him bring eyes. Same as getting Waid and Staples for the start of Archie.

Top Bottom