• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| January 2017 This is the Dawning of the Age of Apocalypse

mreddie

I wonder if Spencer's words will hurt Cap/

Meanwhile, remember these?

latest

tim1138

Kirby also famously told stories about his time in the Army and killing four Nazis. The King fucking hated Nazis. He was a national treasure.

That's why I don't get punching a Nazi, if there is violence that needs to be done against a Nazi, its killing a Nazi. A sucker punch to a Nazi, is only helping the Nazis. I'm glad it was Kirby that allowed me to put it that bluntly.

That's why I don't get punching a Nazi, if there is violence that needs to be done against a Nazi, its killing a Nazi. A sucker punch to a Nazi, is only helping the Nazis. I'm glad it was Kirby that allowed me to put it that bluntly.

The Nazi who got sucker punched would probably disagree, tbh. You ever got clocked in the face before? Shit hurts.

shingi70

Banned
The Nazi who got sucker punched would probably disagree, tbh.

Nah he spin it, as the petty left attacking him.

Also I hope we kill their terms deplorable and Alt right and just start using Facists and Nazis.

On the comics side of things, you still reading Blue beetle poodle.

Nah he spin it, as the petty left attacking him.

Also I hope we kill their terms deplorable and Alt right and just start using Facists and Nazis.

On the comics side of things, you still reading Blue beetle poodle.

I mean, he'd spin it like that if you walked up and handed him a flower in the name of peace & love. "What if I'd been allergic, this is just more liberal aggression."

Money got super tight for a while there, I had to stop buying comics for so long that I'm looking at a $300 backlog if I wanna get caught up on everything, lol. My budget just got a major shot in the arm tho, so I'm hoping to get back up to date next month!

Hagi

I don't think you'd get a positive outcome out of someone walking up and shooting him either to be honest.

I think we should draw the line at killing people, even fascists, when it can be avoided

Imprisonment, sure. Stripping them of power, abso-fucking-lutely

Hagi

I think we should draw the line at killing people, even fascists, when it can be avoided

Imprisonment, sure. Stripping them of power, abso-fucking-lutely

I think a lot of these people and their platforms are being normalized and we really need to halt that somehow. What are essentially fringe groups are not being treat as such by the media and are becoming emboldened because of this.

In comic related news I finally got sent my copy of Han Solo from Amazon. Really looking forward to reading it.

ElNarez

Banned

Man I don't know, everyone now knows Richard Spencer as "that nazi piece of shit that got decked in the face", which, that's not the coolest brand. Like, I don't see "being a nazi piece of shit that gets decked in the face" as a thing that most people will aspire to do.

Messi

I think Marvels best artist is Chris Samnee and DCs best artist is Jason Fabok. That was a tough choice between him and Ivan Reis.

What is your top artist for the big 2?

I think Marvels best artist is Chris Samnee and DCs best artist is Jason Fabok. That was a tough choice between him and Ivan Reis.

Agree on Samnee

He's only at DC for a couple of issues but I'm gonna give it to Jock. Otherwise, Fernando Blanco

Man I don't know, everyone now knows Richard Spencer as "that nazi piece of shit that got decked in the face", which, that's not the coolest brand. Like, I don't see "being a nazi piece of shit that gets decked in the face" as a thing that most people will aspire to do.

Edit. You are right. I am wrong.

Sandfox

It bothers me whenever I see someone hate on Allred's art.

Edit: I didn't even see Messi's post before typing this strangely enough.

DC: Tommy Lee Edwards. I've loved Edwards' art since he did that mini with Jonathan Ross its so expressive and natural feeling.

Marvel: Mike Del Mundo. He's like the next generation of the painted Alex Ross style.

Hagi

Gleason is a good shout considering Fabok has decided not to do so much work any more.

Allred deserves a mention for Silver Surfer.

I can think of a few others I like but those are the two stand outs for me at this moment in time. Helps that they are drawing my favourite ongoings I suppose.

Messi

DC: Tommy Lee Edwards. I've loved Edwards' art since he did that mini with Jonathan Ross its so expressive and natural feeling.

Marvel: Mike Del Mundo. He's like the next generation of the painted Alex Ross style.

Love both of these. Del Mundo is such a great pick for Avengers. It looks so different. Edwards art on Mother Panic is lovely and fitting.

My favorite Marvel artist is Samnee. He is Marvel's golden boy as far as I'm concerned and he can work with any character or tone they want to achieve and pull it off successfully.

For DC, I actually have a really hard time choosing between Joelle Jones and Marley Zarcone.

My favorite Marvel artist is Samnee. He is Marvel's golden boy as far as I'm concerned and he can work with any character or tone they want to achieve and pull it off successfully.

For DC, I actually have a really hard time choosing between Joelle Jones and Marley Zarcone.

Zarcone is up there for me too

Messi

I forgot Joelle. She is a superstar. Her original art up close is breathtaking.

VanWinkle

Immonen or maybe Samnee for Marvel and Manapul for DC. Reis is second for DC.

Vibranium

Banned
Samnee is my current top Marvel artist working on a main book.

I like Spencer's run somewhat but my all-time dream is Waid/Chris on Captain America. That team could beat Brubaker's run I think. After Spencer is done I want Waid on Cap so bad...

Justice League vs. Suicide Squad #2
Slowly continuing my journey to catch up, and boy is this book really good. My only issue is how downright evil Waller is. And Batman is a massive ass to Floyd. Like, by a lot. A little too much, honestly. Otherwise I really enjoy this. It feels good to see fights where the people actually use their tools in a smart way against their opponents. Also, I have a feeling that based on this
we all know Lobo is going to the JLA, Sorrows and Empress will be responsible for the JSA and Legion of Superheroes books that are no doubt on the horizon, but what about Rustam (whom I've never heard of) and Polaris?
Just a thought that I'm sure has been brought up and chucked to the side at this point.

Justice League vs. Suicide Squad #3
All exposition, but none of it boring. Very interesting to see references to the pre-Flashpoint timeline. My only dig is that how the fuck did Waller get such a broken ass team?
Polaris and Rustam? Fine. Lobo? I can buy it. Emerald Empress? Doable. But Johnny Sorrows? For real?
Shit man. That's hardcore. Regardless, another good issue. Such an entertaining event to be sure.

Justice League vs. Suicide Squad #4
In direct opposition to the exposition in the previous issue, it's all action in this one. It's very good, primarily, but I have a couple of parts that bother me:
Harley surviving Johnny Sorrow's true face. Seriously? That just really bugs the hell out of me. Interdimensional conduit for a god gets beat because some random girl is a bit more Looney Tunes than expected? Bull. The other one is Batman straight up killing Lobo. I get that he won't die, but damn Batman. You just murdered him. As for the most intriguing part of the issue: The Empress. The Eye only went hayire at Jessica, and I now this seems incredibly stupid, but what if the GL tech that the Eye uses is from Jessica's ring? Plus, Jessica has an "Emerald Eye" in a way. Also, Eclipso being used made me laugh since I just read a Robin annual involving Eclipso
. Just some food for thought maybe kinda. Anyways, still going strong.

Justice League vs. Suicide Squad #5
It goes without saying that this was good, and I've always been fond of the whole, "how far is too far for world peace," trope, even if I already have a hard stance on it. My problem is that
Max immediately begs Waller. He's been at this for awhile now, and as much as I love the whole "a king fooled by his kingdom" story, he knows how to control a bad situation. I guess his failsafe breaking would cause panic, but I figured he'd keep his calm for a little bit. I suppose Eclipso proved a lit stronger than he thought, and it was shown earlier that Eclipso was breaking through.

This was a well-written issue. Like, just good comics.

Top Bottom