• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| January 2017 This is the Dawning of the Age of Apocalypse

Nudull

Banned
Have I been the only one who's been slowly becoming more DC-heavy, lately? Marvel pulling digital copy combos from their physical books was a pretty big middle finger. Meanwhile, Rebirth has been shockingly great, so far.

Detective Comics #949
Doom Patrol #4
Hellblazer #6
JLA Rebirth: Killer Frost #1
Justice League vs. Suicide Squad #6
Star Trek/Green Lantern: Stranger Worlds #2
Teen Titans #4

Black Panther #10
Doctor Strange #16
Ghost Rider #3
Hulk #2
Infamous Iron Man #4
Star Wars #27
Totally Awesome Hulk #15

Lumberjanes #34
Power Rangers: Pink #6

mreddie

The problem is DC is kinda not grabbing me with Rebirth, the books I was looking forward too flopped and the ones I wasn't gonna pay attention too were better.

IDW/BOOM need some hits.

Nudull

Banned
The problem is DC is kinda not grabbing me with Rebirth, the books I was looking forward too flopped and the ones I wasn't gonna pay attention too were better.

IDW/BOOM need some hits.

Kind of been my problem with ANAD Marvel as time has gone on. So many books vying for your money and attention, and most of the ones you want to put faith in end up collapsing before long. DC You had that same problem too, but Rebirth seems a lot more stable in comparison.

Coming from someone who felt let down by the Superman books pre-Rebirth, along with wondering how DC was gonna move forward with a Snyder-less Batman, and those lines ended up going really well for me (Superman especially has been BRILLIANT). Helps that the Titans books aren't sucking anymore, either.

Can;t believe how much someone is able to tell what a book is about from the back cover. I was reading Saga vol.3 in a restaurant waiting for a table yesterday and a white lady asked me if it was a lot of sexual content in it because of the back cover and I said sort of. She asked if it was a romance book and I said no it's science fiction and she said something of the like of you can call it whatever you want and asked if there were a lot of relationships in it. I said kinda and then told her the premise and then she said they ain't bothering anyone they should leave them alone and then that led to a discussion about Trump and her disappointment with his election.
She was pretty cool, but thinking about it, she was pretty right about it being a romance novel. Aside from Marko and Alana, there's The Will and The Stalk, Gwendolyn, the romance author that Alana admires and the ghost saying he digs Marko's mom and then the Prince Robot's problems with his wife. Now I started vol. 4 and it seems to be focusing on another aspect of Marko and Alana's relationship.

Messi

Can;t believe how much someone is able to tell what a book is about from the back cover. I was reading Saga vol.3 in a restaurant waiting for a table yesterday and a white lady asked me if it was a lot of sexual content in it because of the back cover and I said sort of. She asked if it was a romance book and I said no it's science fiction and she said something of the like of you can call it whatever you want and asked if there were a lot of relationships in it. I said kinda and then told her the premise and then she said they ain't bothering anyone they should leave them alone and then that led to a discussion about Trump and her disappointment with his election.
She was pretty cool, but thinking about it, she was pretty right about it being a romance novel. Aside from Marko and Alana, there's The Will and The Stalk, Gwendolyn, the romance author that Alana admires and the ghost saying he digs Marko's mom and then the Prince Robot's problems with his wife. Now I started vol. 4 and it seems to be focusing on another aspect of Marko and Alana's relationship.

Yeah it's all about the relationships.

shingi70

Banned
giving old school fans and new fans both their own versions of titans was a good call.

I Found Titwns being more about the silver age line up than the Perez variant pretty clever.

A few team books that are missing from DC right now are

Legion of Superheroes
JSA
Justice League Dark

If I were writing a JSA book I'd have it take place in the past before the team got wiped from the world's memory.

TheFlow

Banned
I Found Titwns being more about the silver age line up than the Perez variant pretty clever.

Legion of Superheroes
JSA
Justice League Dark

If I were writing a JSA book I'd have it take place in the past before the team got wiped from the world's memory.

aren't we getting a JSA book or did I dream that up.

Legion is due. not sure how I feel about JLD coming back.

but it is better than give them all solos and more minis. surprised we don't have a zatanna mini yet.

Nudull

Banned

Legion of Superheroes
JSA
Justice League Dark

I get the feeling DC may try to ape Guardians of the Galaxy with LoS.

shingi70

Banned
aren't we getting a JSA book or did I dream that up.

Legion is due. not sure how I feel about JLD coming back.

but it is better than give them all solos and more minis. surprised we don't have a zatanna mini yet.

I wouldn't mind a Zatana mini. She seems a character that could be incredibly popular if dc handled her better.

It's one of the annoying things about those JLA one shots. Now I want a solo series for The Atom, Vixen, and the ray.

VanWinkle

Read the first ~120 pages of Spider-Man by Roger Stern Omnibus today. I'm enjoying it A LOT. Stern's got a great voice for Spidey. I'm excited to get into the Amazing Spider-Man portion of the book (the last 2/3rds or so) since I've heard that's when it really shines.

0Qpfya9.jpg

I started reading these Divinity III Stalinverse books. Pretty good stuff.

Valiant is so good at delivering these really well-contained "events" that tell a good story in the main, expand it in iteresting ways in the tie ins and then that's it. It's great.

Also this one in particular is really lol considering current events.

Yo, where is Lunchbox? I'm loving these Stalinverse comics. They're entertaining, and also preparing me for future America.

lol jinx

When one Valiant fan leaves, one Valiant fan must take his place.

I haven't really gotten into Valiant wholesale like Lunchpod, but I pick up what looks interesting and I'm not usually disappointed. Kind of want to get into Ninjak but it's a bit deep for me to start at this point. But I think the first hardcover is coming out soon, so I may grab it.

I'm really loving some of these Stalinverse variant covers.

If y'all want to read an issue of a book that's just a knock down, drag out slugfest, then DC Showcase '93 #5 is wicked

Just Robin vs Bracuda from the top floor of a building to the bottom.

Just awesome.

Webcomics rather than comics, but Dr McNinja just wrapped up its final page after ten years of ongoing story.

I have mixed feelings - I do think the writer did a good job ending all the ongoing plot threads, but the comic just sort of ends on a sour note:

Every villain dies, one by one. Dr McNinja is forced to unmask for plot shenanigans, and thus has to disappear and become a normal doctor, and the supporting cast never sees him again. Last shot is McNinja turned away from the camera introducing himself as 'Patrick Goodrich' to another doctor.

Sort of feels like the writer has left the world with a new, actually quite interesting status quo that he can go back to at some point.

Considering the webcomic's origin as a jokey amateur thing, I do think it went a very long way - even if the art really suffered with the departure of the inker a good while back. Hastings is a fun writer who managed to make the extremely silly nature of the concept into a coherent universe.

But again, I don't think it was an ending, as per se. It was more 'the comic is now stopping, here is closure'. So it is a bit frustrating.

Tizoc

Webcomics rather than comics, but Dr McNinja just wrapped up its final page after ten years of ongoing story.

I have mixed feelings - I do think the writer did a good job ending all the ongoing plot threads, but the comic just sort of ends on a sour note:

Every villain dies, one by one. Dr McNinja is forced to unmask for plot shenanigans, and thus has to disappear and become a normal doctor, and the supporting cast never sees him again. Last shot is McNinja turned away from the camera introducing himself as 'Patrick Goodrich' to another doctor.

Sort of feels like the writer has left the world with a new, actually quite interesting status quo that he can go back to at some point.

Considering the webcomic's origin as a jokey amateur thing, I do think it went a very long way - even if the art really suffered with the departure of the inker a good while back. Hastings is a fun writer who managed to make the extremely silly nature of the concept into a coherent universe.

But again, I don't think it was an ending, as per se. It was more 'the comic is now stopping, here is closure'. So it is a bit frustrating.
I need to catch up to about a dozen webcomics =_=

I'm rereading Morrison's New X-Men again and loving it but also dreading the eventual Magneto twist which I still despise to this day.

Ruined a wonderful character is what he did. #justice4Xorn

dan2026

I'm rereading Morrison's New X-Men again and loving it but also dreading the eventual Magneto twist which I still despise to this day.

Ruined a wonderful character is what he did. #justice4Xorn
Ah I loved that twist.

Cyclops calling for Xorn to heal a dying Jean before relishing what he said.

Top Bottom