• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| July 2013. Celebrate liberty with the ultimate patriotic superhero.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tizoc

Bought Irredeemable because a friend recommended it.

Read the first pages and said "Wow." Pretty dark stuff already. Which means I love it from the start already :)

Make sure to pick up it's 'brother series' Uncorruptable too, both are great books.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
How is the current X-Force books (the one with Storm as a leader)? I've enjoyed the Remender ones which is the previous run iirc.

Also, is it true that Disney doesn't want the Richard Rider version of Nova back because of his nickname?

That's probably a load of dick.

Make sure to pick up it's 'brother series' Uncorruptable too, both are great books.

I want to disagree. I don't feel you need Incorruptable to enjoy Irredeemable. It felt like a "me too!" series that tacked on continuity that really felt forced.

I also feel it had a few good ideas and then just abandoned them and never really found a footing again.

Still, it's not terrible. But go in to Irredeemable knowing it's quite standalone.

I'm not the biggest Hickman fan, but I'm loving East of West. Maybe it's because he's outside the confines of the MU, but his dialog seems to be much better with his own characters. And Frank Martin is doing some amazing things with Dragotta's artwork. It's a great-lookin' book.

I haven't been up-to-date on JL, JLA and JLD but this Trinity War might bring me in. Anybody else being suckered into this event?

Also how are some of you deciding on what to buy for villains month? Those who aren't buying all of them. :p

I haven't been up-to-date on JL, JLA and JLD but this Trinity War might bring me in. Anybody else being suckered into this event?

Also how are some of you deciding on what to buy for villains month? Those who aren't buying all of them. :p

I started getting JLD in anticipation of Trinity. Enjoying it for the most part.

As to villains month; Basically, if I am pulling the title, I am getting all of the tie-ins for that book. As I currently pull a stupid amount, I think Swamp Thing is the only title I won't be getting.

It really is hard to resist getting all these titles though, DC just has such amazingly iconic villains, I'd say that there are only a handful I'm not genuinely interested in. Like Black Manta. Fuck that guy.

I only sub to JL Dark but over the weekend I bought all the back issues I didn't have of Justice League and Muddy Finch League. guess I'm in

Still haven't decided on Villain crap

image.php

;)

I started getting JLD in anticipation of Trinity. Enjoying it for the most part.

As to villains month; Basically, if I am pulling the title, I am getting all of the tie-ins for that book. As I currently pull a stupid amount, I think Swamp Thing is the only title I won't be getting.

It really is hard to resist getting all these titles though, DC just has such amazingly iconic villains, I'd say that there are only a handful I'm not genuinely interested in. Like Black Manta. Fuck that guy.

I only sub to JL Dark but over the weekend I bought all the back issues I didn't have of Justice League and Muddy Finch League. guess I'm in

Yeah it might have been a little too early to be asking about Villains month.

I've been thinking the same thing about getting all the issues from the books I pull, which is only really Batman and Green Arrow. Then, maybe some just for the creators like Kindt, Pak, and Johns.

I have to give Injustice and more specifically Deathstroke credit for getting me into comics. Playing with him in the game made me curious about his story and I bought my first comics and the rest is history.

So in honor of this, I scored a mint condition Deathstroke The Terminator #1 today. Looked for his 1st appearance in The New Teen Titans #2 but could not find it.

I have to give Injustice and more specifically Deathstroke credit for getting me into comics. Playing with him in the game made me curious about his story and I bought my first comics and the rest is history.

So in honor of this, I scored a mint condition Deathstroke The Terminator #1 today. Looked for his 1st appearance in The New Teen Titans #2 but could not find it.

You might also want to get the "Judas Contract" TPB. Hands down one of the best Teen Titans trades, featuring Deathstroke.

Tizoc

I want to disagree. I don't feel you need Incorruptable to enjoy Irredeemable. It felt like a "me too!" series that tacked on continuity that really felt forced.
IMO Incorruptible managed to add more to the world of the series, as well as show us how things are in the world from the villains point of view.
It's focus is an interesting analog to what Irredeemable is about: What if one of the world's greatest supervillains decides to become a good guy?

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper

Re-read Swamp Thing #0 from the New 52 the other day and it is absolutely out of this world, too good!

Glad to see a couple other people enjoying the New 52. I'm enjoying quite a few books from there, but it seems most people hate it like One More Day

GolazoDan

Picked up a few comics yesterday, trade paperbacks of some Batman stuff from the New 52. I've heard good things, would ComicGAF generally agree with that? Marvel's been getting my interest as of late but I heard the ___ of the Owls books are good (I bought Court of the Owls) and Batman Inc. is okay too. Any other New 52 books I should check out or should I stick to Batman and spend the rest of my pennies on Hawkeye, Daredevil and the other Marvel duders?

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Picked up a few comics yesterday, trade paperbacks of some Batman stuff from the New 52. I've heard good things, would ComicGAF generally agree with that? Marvel's been getting my interest as of late but I heard the ___ of the Owls books are good (I bought Court of the Owls) and Batman Inc. is okay too. Any other New 52 books I should check out or should I stick to Batman and spend the rest of my pennies on Hawkeye, Daredevil and the other Marvel duders?

Batwoman. Give the first couple of issues a try. It's easily my personal favorite right now.

All of the Beyond books are good. Well maybe not Superman Beyond, but the other two are great.

Justice League Beyond on Comixology is a surprisingly quick read. I get through issues in about 10 minutes, which isn't bad for $0.99 an issue. The first story arc is epic in scope.

Some ComicsGaffers seem to enjoy Suicide Squad. I'm one of them. The new arc with the new (and by all accounts better) writer Ales Kot started just a couple books back at issue #20.

So I'm all alone over here reading my Mercy Sparx and Next Testament floppies, eh? Shame.

I picked up Swamp Thing #22 at the recommendation of someone on this thread. It's a character that's always interested me [I have yet to read Alan Moores run (I know, I know)]. The art wasn't great, but I did enjoy the story. I'll be back for the conclusion in #23. Also, add me to the list of people who enjoyed Superior Foes of Spider-man. Thanks for the heads up, BestGaf. Genuinely amusing issue driven by funny characters. Arrr!

And thanks for the rec for my 18 yr old nephew-in-law. Though he has an interest in stories that involve religious elements, I think it's wise to avoid stuff concerning characters like Lucifer and Daredevil. In-laws, y'know? Final crisis, maybe. But I was hoping for something, forgive me for this, a bit.. cooler. Any other ideas, let me know. Maybe something kind of far-out? Indie? Light on text, as English is his second language. Maybe one of the many books in which the protagonist has a terrible father. He could relate to that. Something mind-expanding, maybe? I dunno.

As for villans month titles, I would say that I would be getting the Batwoman villains books, as she's the only DC hero I really give a crap about. But it doesn't seem she's included in this villains month shindig.

Vibranium

Banned
Dick is a common nickname for Richard...

Why not just call him Rich Rider (for the movies I mean)? If it really bugs Disney they can always just change his last name, as long as it isn't Loeb's dead son Nova played by the kid from Iron Man 3 for the cinematic universe. I want the real one, with his own book in comics too, let Sam stay with Wells and Wacker (who has spent hours trolling Comic Book Resources fans defending the character and acting as unprofessional as ever) .

GolazoDan

I just finished Court of the Owls. Woah. It's amazing.

I should've bought volume 2 at the same time. FEED ME MOAR.

Some ComicsGaffers seem to enjoy Suicide Squad. I'm one of them. The new arc with the new (and by all accounts better) writer Ales Kot started just a couple books back at issue #20.
Will check it out, I've liked bits and bobs of Suicide Squad stuff over the years. Also heard Animal Man and Swamp Thing are alright, probably give them a look.

Batwoman. Give the first couple of issues a try. It's easily my personal favorite right now.
I might just pick up vol 1 of most of the Bat Family stuff, it all sounds interesting with crossovers to the Owl stuff. Batman Inc, Detective Comics, Nightwing, Batwoman, may as well.

Also gonna have to get my Superior Spiderman on, that sounded kinda dumb when I heard about it but apparently it's pretty good.

I just finished Court of the Owls. Woah. It's amazing.

I should've bought volume 2 at the same time. FEED ME MOAR.

Bare in mind the second half of the story isn't as good. If you haven't read Black Mirror by Snyder, buy that. It's the best Batman story he's done so far.

GolazoDan

Bare in mind the second half of the story isn't as good. If you haven't read Black Mirror by Snyder, buy that. It's the best Batman story he's done so far.
Nooooo, don't say that! :-(
I do fear the worst now there's LOADS OF OWL DUDES instead of one badass owl dude. Dat labyrinth, my word.

I do fear the worst now there's LOADS OF OWL DUDES instead of one badass owl dude. Dat labyrinth, my word.

Don't listen to them, they were already dissatisfied with the Owls storyline before the second half started.

If you enjoyed the first half you will likely enjoy the rest.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

Dude, the arc is fine. It's an awesome story arc and you are not prepared for where it goes. You won't be disappointed.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Why not just call him Rich Rider (for the movies I mean)? If it really bugs Disney they can always just change his last name, as long as it isn't Loeb's dead son Nova played by the kid from Iron Man 3 for the cinematic universe. I want the real one, with his own book in comics too, let Sam stay with Wells and Wacker (who has spent hours trolling Comic Book Resources fans defending the character and acting as unprofessional as ever) .

They call him Rich or Richie all the time in the comics. I really don't see the Dick Rider thing being an issue, even with Disney being anal richards a lot of the time.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Latest order:
* Atomic Robo, Vol 5: Deadly Art of Science
* Atomic Robo, Vol 6: Ghost of Station X
* Batman: No Man's Land, Vol 4
* Fear Agent: Library Vol 1
* Godzilla: Half Century War
* Saga, Vol 2
* Sweet Tooth, Vol 6: Wild Game
* Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Secret History of the Foot Clan

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Well crap, that is WAY too much for me right now to catch up on... I guess i'll just have to skip Batman Inc. then :(

Since i am kinda new to comics, it's hard to find a series that you are interested in but do NOT need a whole encyclopedia of previous knowledge to enjoy/get most of the references...

next question though: What is a good way to get into Green Lantern? I read that GL: Rebirth might be a good starting point and then Secret Origin, followed by the rest of Geoff John's stuff?

Yeah that'll work for GL I'm sure.

As for Batman, you don't have to buy ALL that stuff right away - if you're interested, just buy Batman and Son and go from there. It's a really good arc.

Edit: IMO, Batman is the better run. GL starts very strong with Sinestro Corps War but the whole multicoloured lanterns thing gets pounded repeatedly into the ground and ultimately takes a very long time to go to some very predictable places. Batman on the other hand is very unique and is jam packed with some great stories over the course of the run when you break it down. A very rewarding long-form story.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Latest order:
* Saga, Vol 2

I just went to the big shop today (as part of a GAF meet as well, I have my priorities straight - we're getting comics!), picked up

Saga v2
Scalped v2
The Shade maxiseries

...kinda got to the esses and got stuck in there. Can't wait to read these, dat pink cover on Saga is amazing.

Latest order:
* Saga, Vol 2

Why don't you visit your local library to read half that stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom