• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| July 2013. Celebrate liberty with the ultimate patriotic superhero.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Veelk

Banned
I asked this earlier but no one answered. Is Justice League Dark anything like Sandman or Lucifer? All I know is that it has a supernatural emphasis and I've been looking for something to fill the hole Lucifer left now that I finished reading it.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I asked this earlier but no one answered. Is Justice League Dark anything like Sandman or Lucifer? All I know is that it has a supernatural emphasis and I've been looking for something to fill the hole Lucifer left now that I finished reading it.

I can't answer that for sure but I did read JLD and I really, REALLY liked it a lot. So it's worth reading (at least in the beginning) for a while.

Owzers

Irredeemable/Incorruptable on sale at Comixology. Worth getting?

Irredeemable is whacky fun despite it getting crazy towards the end.

Incorruptable is okay if you have the extra money, but it felt small compared to Irredeemable and not interesting enough to make up for the lack of scale.

Up to the point I read, not in the slightest.

Irredeemable/Incorruptable on sale at Comixology. Worth getting?

Irredeemable is really good, Incorruptible less so. IIRC they cross over near the end, so you may want to buy the last few issues of Incorruptible if you're getting Irredeemable.

There seems to be an American Vampire sale on right now. I'm gonna have to get me some of that.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face

No, nothing like either. At the end of the day, it's still a superhero comic. Despite involving vertigo characters, it doesn't inherit any of Vertigo's literary qualities. Not saying it's bad, just don't go into it expecting Sandman or Lucifer.

Check out Mike Carey's The Unwritten if you're looking for something more akin to Sandman/Lucifer in terms of quality.

frye

You would think JLD would be a Vertigo-lite book set in the DCU but Milligan said he was told to make it more superhero-like back when he was on the book.

Tizoc

Batman Inc. #12
Goddamn Talia's a bitch.
...but this issue was so goooooood, WHEN'S THE NEXT ISSUE WHEN WHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEN!!!!!!!
I don't care that it's the last issue I just need it soon!

Sonic #250
THANK YOU BASED YARDLEY!
all_the_robot_masters_by_herms85-d6b4gf6.jpg

I'd been out of comics for a while, but I got a bunch of books today: Prophet v2, Hawkeye v1, Saga v1 and v2, Ragemoor, and Godzilla: Half Century War. Looking forward to seeing what's going on in comics outside of the general wheel-spinning in DC's and Marvel's books.

And I'm going to check out Justice League Beyond in Comixology, which sounds pretty good.

I'd been out of comics for a while, but I got a bunch of books today: Prophet v2, Hawkeye v1, Saga v1 and v2, Ragemoor, and Godzilla: Half Century War. Looking forward to seeing what's going on in comics outside of the general wheel-spinning in DC's and Marvel's books.

And I'm going to check out Justice League Beyond in Comixology, which sounds pretty good.

Have you read Prophet vol. 1? I just ask because the first arc of that is, in my opinion, quite spectacular.

Hey, I have question ComicsGaf. I need to get a collection (one book, likely) for an 18 year old nephew in-law. I don't know him all that well but when he was a kid he loved the Flash and would pretend to be him. As an adolescent he was into Dragonball Z and these day he plays a lot of Halo and other FPS. I'm told he also quite enjoys stories that concern religion, good versus evil in that context/world. It's kind of a puzzle, I know, so I'm asking your help. If anything about this kid jumps out at you and you can think of a good rec, please let me know. I'd love to get him something cool, and maybe get him (back?) into comics while I'm at it.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

All of the Beyond books are good. Well maybe not Superman Beyond, but the other two are great.

All of the Beyond books are good. Well maybe not Superman Beyond, but the other two are great.
Auperman Beyond is great. The artist would never be able to draw again with his right hand after an accident so he worked as a bus driver and now he can draw left handed.

ReiGun

Auperman Beyond is great. The artist would never be able to draw again with his right hand after an accident so he worked as a bus driver and now he can draw left handed.

Read this as "Aquaman Beyond" and thought I missed an announcement or something. lol

frye

Have you read Prophet vol. 1? I just ask because the first arc of that is, in my opinion, quite spectacular.

Hey, I have question ComicsGaf. I need to get a collection (one book, likely) for an 18 year old nephew in-law. I don't know him all that well but when he was a kid he loved the Flash and would pretend to be him. As an adolescent he was into Dragonball Z and these day he plays a lot of Halo and other FPS. I'm told he also quite enjoys stories that concern religion, good versus evil in that context/world. It's kind of a puzzle, I know, so I'm asking your help. If anything about this kid jumps out at you and you can think of a good rec, please let me know. I'd love to get him something cool, and maybe get him (back?) into comics while I'm at it.

Does it have to take place in heavnen/hell/whatever? Daredevil: Born Again isn't explicitly religious, but it owns forever

also maybe the Season of Mists collection of Sandman which introduces Lucifer.

Punk Rock Jesus.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned

Final Crisis. Honestly. Massively good versus evil, crazy ridiculous universes ending fight at the end, a great Flash moment. It's great.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Does anybody here buy prints or anything? I would love to buy some Williams art from Batwoman for my wall or anything from Hawkeye,

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Superior Foes of Spider-Man is hilarious and just what I needed this week.

It really was, I was pleasantly surprised. I fully expected to hate it. I like that the villains are getting some love, it's a lot more interesting than another book about a team of heroes. It's always fun to get some stories from the bad guy's perspective.

Dead

well not really...yet
I kinda feel gross about it, but I bought the first two Before Watchmen hardcovers.

Darwyn Cooke, Amanda Connor and Jae Lee art...hard to pass up.

What was the final consensus on these stories?

Ah, well. It's a beautiful dream.

Nope, found some stuff. Punched "Marvel art prints" into google. First result is allposters.com.... They actually have some nice ones (Iron Fist!), bunch of different price-ranges. I went there on my tablet because I'm paranoid about going to new sites on my PC, but it looks like they have some neat stuff.

tim1138

Does anybody here buy prints or anything? I would love to buy some Williams art from Batwoman for my wall or anything from Hawkeye,

For our anniversary this year my wife bought me two original pages (penciled and inked) from Green Lantern: New Guardians from when Tyler Kirkham was on the book. Have them framed and hanging up.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Nope, found some stuff. Punched "Marvel art prints" into google. First result is allposters.com.... They actually have some nice ones (Iron Fist!), bunch of different price-ranges. I went there on my tablet because I'm paranoid about going to new sites on my PC, but it looks like they have some neat stuff.

Nice find, man. Just for fun though, use their search for "Batwoman." Lol

For our anniversary this year my wife bought me two original pages (penciled and inked) from Green Lantern: New Guardians from when Tyler Kirkham was on the book. Have them framed and hanging up.

A kindred soul

Deprive

Lazarus was decent. Wonder if Rucka had Forever modeled after Kate Beckinsale.

Also Superior Foes was a fun read.

It really was, I was pleasantly surprised. I fully expected to hate it. I like that the villains are getting some love, it's a lot more interesting than another book about a team of heroes. It's always fun to get some stories from the bad guy's perspective.

The last time I read any Spider-Man comics featuring Shocker (which, I guess, was back in 1999 or something like that), he was portrayed as a badass. I was surprised, when he was such a wuss in this one :D

Interest piqued in Batman Inc. but as stated earlier, maybe i should read some Batman & Robin first right?

Did you guys mean the New52 version (Patrick Gleason) or another one though?

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Interest piqued in Batman Inc. but as stated earlier, maybe i should read some Batman & Robin first right?

The pre-New52 run by Grant Morrison is the one that's particularly important to the continuity, and obviously to Morrison's entire run. I hear Gleason's work is good fun though.

The 3 Morrison trades of those are:
* Batman Reborn
* Batman vs Robin
* Batman & Robin Must Die

But really, it's probably best to just read the whole Morrison run, because Batman & Robin starts to really tie into Final Crisis and The Return of Bruce Wayne, and those tie into what came before, etc.

If you really want to go down this rabbit hole, I'm listing mostly trades here:
-Arkham Asylum: A Serious House on Serious Earth
-Batman & Son
-Batman: The Resurrection of Ra's Al Ghul (Only two issues from here)
-Batman: The Black Glove
-Batman: R.I.P.
-Final Crisis
-Batman & Robin Vol 1: Batman Reborn
-Batman & Robin Vol 2: Batman vs Robin
-Batman: The Return of Bruce Wayne
-Batman: Time and the Batman
-Batman & Robin Vol 3: Batman & Robin Must Die
-Batman: The Return
-Batman Incorporated, Vol. 1
-Batman Incorporated, Vol. 1: Demon Star (The New 52)

Then you are pretty much caught up through Batman Inc #6 (New 52).
A Serious House doesn't play a part in Morrison's big run, but it's fantastic in its own right.

Batman Incorporated, Vol. 2: Gotham's Most Wanted (New 52) will be the final trade, and will arrive at the end of November.

^Hah, I was just about to post the reading order also

I would suggest going back further to the first appearance of Damien Wayne in Batman & Son.

I would also recommend Tomasi's Batman & Robin but it doesn't have any impact on what is happening in Batman Inc.

So I stopped by the comic shop after work yesterday and picked up the first three issues of The Movement. I'd say it's a surprisingly good book, but then it is being written by Gail Simone, after all. I'm on board for the time being. Kind of makes me wonder if I should start reading Batgirl again. Yay comics.

Tomasi does consistently good work, but it's always a tie-in to something else. Even when his work ends up being better than the "big" books it ties into, it doesn't generally stand alone well.

Tenck

Bought Irredeemable because a friend recommended it.

Read the first pages and said "Wow." Pretty dark stuff already. Which means I love it from the start already :)

So I stopped by the comic shop after work yesterday and picked up the first three issues of The Movement. I'd say it's a surprisingly good book, but then it is being written by Gail Simone, after all. I'm on board for the time being. Kind of makes me wonder if I should start reading Batgirl again. Yay comics.

Simone is hitting her stride at the moment so I'd say that Batgirl is good, right now, but I'd suggest picking up the Ventriloquist issues (#20-21) to judge for yourself.

If you are enjoying The Movement, and aren't getting Green Team, I think you might also like it. It's scratching a few of the same itches.

Splatt

I kinda feel gross about it, but I bought the first two Before Watchmen hardcovers.

Darwyn Cooke, Amanda Connor and Jae Lee art...hard to pass up.

What was the final consensus on these stories?

Beautiful art, lame stories.

The pre-New52 run by Grant Morrison is the one that's particularly important to the continuity, and obviously to Morrison's entire run. I hear Gleason's work is good fun though.

The 3 Morrison trades of those are:
* Batman Reborn
* Batman vs Robin
* Batman & Robin Must Die

But really, it's probably best to just read the whole Morrison run, because Batman & Robin starts to really tie into Final Crisis and The Return of Bruce Wayne, and those tie into what came before, etc.

A Serious House doesn't play a part in Morrison's big run, but it's fantastic in its own right.

Batman Incorporated, Vol. 2: Gotham's Most Wanted (New 52) will be the final trade, and will arrive at the end of November.

Well crap, that is WAY too much for me right now to catch up on... I guess i'll just have to skip Batman Inc. then :(

Since i am kinda new to comics, it's hard to find a series that you are interested in but do NOT need a whole encyclopedia of previous knowledge to enjoy/get most of the references...

next question though: What is a good way to get into Green Lantern? I read that GL: Rebirth might be a good starting point and then Secret Origin, followed by the rest of Geoff John's stuff?

deim0s

How is the current X-Force books (the one with Storm as a leader)? I've enjoyed the Remender ones which is the previous run iirc.

Also, is it true that Disney doesn't want the Richard Rider version of Nova back because of his nickname?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom