• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| July 2013. Celebrate liberty with the ultimate patriotic superhero.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Why don't you visit your local library to read half that stuff.
My library's pretty weak for comics. They don't have any of those books, will likely never have them, and I have limited interest in dealing with interlibrary loans.

He's supporting the comic creator. Most of those are creator owned.
Plus, yeah, I have no qualms whatsoever about supporting the books and their creators. This industry makes me feel guilty enough as a trade waiter, I'm not going to just read whatever my library happens to get. I like supporting comics, music, movies, games, TV, etc. with my money. How else can I demonstrate what I'd like those artists and industries to produce more of?

Acid08

Banned
Latest order:
* Atomic Robo, Vol 5: Deadly Art of Science
* Atomic Robo, Vol 6: Ghost of Station X
* Batman: No Man's Land, Vol 4
* Fear Agent: Library Vol 1
* Godzilla: Half Century War
* Saga, Vol 2
* Sweet Tooth, Vol 6: Wild Game
* Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Secret History of the Foot Clan
Good shit man. Secret History of the Foot Clan is rad as fuck.

I'm really close to ordering the first volume of Akira. Would be $20 on Amazon. I'm whining about it in my mind because it seems expensive but those books are gigantic. Will probably just do it.

I'll just leave this here

Voio83G.jpg

Uo7Cqc1.jpg

qMU5WVV.jpg

NODdXVB.jpg

n4MtOyf.jpg

Plus, yeah, I have no qualms whatsoever about supporting the books and their creators. This industry makes me feel guilty enough as a trade waiter, I'm not going to just read whatever my library happens to get. I like supporting comics, music, movies, games, TV, etc. with my money. How else can I demonstrate what I'd like those artists and industries to produce more of?

Here's for supporting comics with yer dough! I buy tons of stuff. But, just putting this out there, you may be able to ask your library to buy a particular book that you want to read. Then you can, like, have your cake and eat it too.. and then return it for others to.. eat. Creators supported, people sharing comics, kumbaya, etc. Sorry ComicsGaf, I may have been drinking. No, but seriously, my library totes orders stuff when asked.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
I'm really close to ordering the first volume of Akira. Would be $20 on Amazon. I'm whining about it in my mind because it seems expensive but those books are gigantic. Will probably just do it.

The new Akira editions are nice and big, at least for manga. It's an investment, but a fun read. I think the whole series is a little bloated at the end of the day, even considering that it's covering way more story than the movie attempted, but I don't regret checking them out.

Here's for supporting comics with yer dough! I buy tons of stuff. But, just putting this out there, you may be able to ask your library to buy a particular book that you want to read. Then you can, like, have your cake and eat it too.. and then return it for others to.. eat. Creators supported, people sharing comics, kumbaya, etc. Sorry ComicsGaf, I may have been drinking. No, but seriously, my library totes orders stuff when asked.

Yeah, that's possible, although I get the sense that comics is just not a priority for them at all. At some point, when/if I whittle my collection down a bit by offloading the books I didn't like or only thought were okay and don't plan to revisit, I'll likely just donate them to the library.

Bought my tickets to my first con, Cincinnati Comic Expo. Be able to get my Daredevil End of Days HC signed by David Mack and im gonna get my GL #20 nu52 signed by cover artist/artist Doug Mahnke. Should be fun.

frye

Good shit man. Secret History of the Foot Clan is rad as fuck.

Akira is like... top 5 for me, I think. Go get it.

(your local library should have it too if you don't want to shell out the money for the phonebooks)

arkon

I just finished Court of the Owls. Woah. It's amazing.

I should've bought volume 2 at the same time. FEED ME MOAR.

Will check it out, I've liked bits and bobs of Suicide Squad stuff over the years. Also heard Animal Man and Swamp Thing are alright, probably give them a look.

You might want to browse through those first. They started off strong but the whole Rotworld thing was way too long and drawn out. Really sapped away the positive feelings I had for both series as they were starting out

Sblargh

Banned
All right. I'm finally catching up on my Marvel reading.
I've been almost the entire year a month or two behind, just due to lack of time.
Crazy.

tim1138

Bought my tickets to my first con, Cincinnati Comic Expo. Be able to get my Daredevil End of Days HC signed by David Mack and im gonna get my GL #20 nu52 signed by cover artist/artist Doug Mahnke. Should be fun.

Are you going to the Cincy Comic Con as well? It's either the week before or the week after. Chris Burnham, Ethan Van Skiver, Tony Moore ( he helped create it), Rick Remender, and Ryan Stegman will be there among others.

I need the Con Exclusive Trinity of Sin team base and Shuma Gorath Colossal for Heroclix. Having to come to terms with the eBay markup as the only con I tend to go to is ECCC.

CalhounBurns

Neo Member
Picked up Irredeemable and Incorruptible in the Comixology sale. Also got the first 5 American Vampire - read the first two and I'm hooked already. Gonna have to get the rest.

What kinda background knowledge do you need for Court of Owls v1 ? (kinda scared of the answer already but trying anyway lol)

Snyder always makes it a point to mention in Batman interviews that:

1. No required reading is needed for his Batman stories
2. No need to read the tie-ins in other books to understand the main story
3. Its the story that he would tell if DC only allowed him to write one story

Snyder always makes it a point to mention in Batman interviews that:

1. No required reading is needed for his Batman stories
2. No need to read the tie-ins in other books to understand the main story
3. Its the story that he would tell if DC only allowed him to write one story

Nice, i like him already...

Also: i just read the first 3 issues of Fraction's Fantastic Four/FF Vol 1 and i really enjoy it.. then i notice Vol 2 will only be showing up on UK amazon by the end of the year noooooo :(

GolazoDan

What kinda background knowledge do you need for Court of Owls v1 ? (kinda scared of the answer already but trying anyway lol)
Yeah, as others have said, you don't need any prior knowledge. Bruce Wayne's parents died and he's kinda upset about it, 'sall you need to know really.

Are you going to the Cincy Comic Con as well? It's either the week before or the week after. Chris Burnham, Ethan Van Skiver, Tony Moore ( he helped create it), Rick Remender, and Ryan Stegman will be there among others.

Havnt thought about it but im sure I will. You going?

Sblargh

Banned
Nice, i like him already...

Also: i just read the first 3 issues of Fraction's Fantastic Four/FF Vol 1 and i really enjoy it.. then i notice Vol 2 will only be showing up on UK amazon by the end of the year noooooo :(

I think both titles are losing steam kind of fast, soo.. there's that.

Btw, from the Marvel NOW hyperama that was going on in the beggining, I am surprised by a few things:

Superior Spider-Man is still strong and not showing signs to revert to status quo any time soon.

Bendi's Age of Ultron suck as much as Bendi's X-Men rules. So I'll blame this notion of "events" rather then tha man.

Remender's Uncanny Avengers was going to be the best thing ever. Why is it so bad? What happened?

Remender's Captain America, on the other hand, is just fun all around. Loving it.

Hawkeye never stops being the best thing ever. I was expecting the hype dieing down eventually, but nop, always awesome.

I just love that Hickman's books exist. They are a whole other level of things. Whatever he is doing, in his own beautiful pace, always feels like the most important thing in Marvel Comics every time I read it. They are everything; they are slow, but they are always advancing. It has great action and violence and super powered beings punching stuff, but it never feels like this or that battle is the end-game. It never feels like they'll eventually punch a dude and solve the problems. I can't say enough good things about both his avengers books.

I went last year but can't afford it this year. But outside of missing the Con Exclusives, I'm OK not enduring the Team Base bullshit that is likely to dominate the current format. ;)

We should take this convo to the Heroclix OT, but at Origins Ghost Rider with the Heroes for Hire ATA was just as dominant (if not more so) than the Justice League Team Base.

Tenck

Good grief at Irredeemable. The first few issues are fantastic. It's refreshing reading about a world and characters that aren't the usual superheroes (Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman etc.). Hopefully I finish this by today.

We should take this convo to the Heroclix OT, but at Origins Ghost Rider with the Heroes for Hire ATA was just as dominant (if not more so) than the Justice League Team Base.

Shows how much I pay attention. Didn't even realize there was one. Thanks for pointing that out.

Good grief at Irredeemable. The first few issues are fantastic. It's refreshing reading about a world and characters that aren't the usual superheroes (Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman etc.). Hopefully I finish this by today.

It really is a great series.

Owzers

I liked it partly because it had the feeling that anything could happen, which is something you don't get from dc/marvel books.

Interest piqued, i read about some other comic a few pages back though that should be read before this one, what was it called again?

Irredeemable is standalone. Incorruptable is the series that looks at the opposite (a villain going good) set in the same universe.

yeah that was the one!

So are both worth getting then? gonna start off with Irredeemable then i suppose :)

Besides: Irredeemable is done right? I can spot 10 volumes on Amazon, so why is not collected in an Omnibus or something?

yeah that was the one!

So are both worth getting then? gonna start off with Irredeemable then i suppose :)

Irredeemable is absolutely worth your time and money. Incorruptable is good but it doesn't reach the same highs. Read Irredeemable first and if you still need more, grab Incorruptable later.

Edit: Both series are complete.

Irredeemable is absolutely worth your time and money. Incorruptable is good but it doesn't reach the same highs. Read Irredeemable first and if you still need more, grab Incorruptable later.

Edit: Both series are complete.

So no printed Omnibus then eh? Alright i guess i will grab the individual volumes then :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom