• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| July 2013. Celebrate liberty with the ultimate patriotic superhero.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the write up. So basically everything you like and describe as a positive she hates, especially the new characters. Sounds like the perfect book to trade wait on for me.

Check out the first two issues. One is really good, but if you don't love the characters by issue 2, then the book is not for you. I'm already crawling the nets looking for more info on everyone of them.

I love this book. I agree with every word GrandHarrier wrote. It's a multifaceted teen book that should make Titans and even YA (which I love) sit up and take notice.

Plus it's gorgeous:

Movement_2_cvxi1c2wd2_.jpg

MOVEM_1_3628.jpg

Vyer

Having Damian gone now when he's still young and appealing prevents future writers, writers who aren't Grant Morrison, from resorting to "firsts" stories: first day at school, first kiss, first serious girlfriend, first day of high school, first homecoming dance, first day at college, et cetera. In other words, those important events in a young person's life that signify their growing up, that writers resort to telling because they've run out of stories to tell... stories that inevitably age the characters around that child, which becomes a serious problem when the child is not the main character.

At the end of the day, there are only three things you can do with a child character: age them, kill them, or pull a Franklin Richards. And Marvel barely manages to pull that last one off most of the time; people call them out on it, but I guess they get away with it because the FF is sort of this crystallized Silver Age family archetype? I don't think DC could get away with it, certainly not with Batman.

Damian's dead. If some writer wants to tell "firsts" stories about him, that's what "What If"s are for, books like this upcoming Kubert mini.

Meh, he's been roughly the same age for 7 years. Worrying about any natural passing of time in relation to comic book time is way too intangible to really be an issue. IMO neither is having a poorly written story now and again as a reason not to want to see a great character continue. That's just the type of thing that comes with the territory.

Caught up on Avengers. I'm loving everything in it, honestly.

Everyone seems characterized well enough. And since I don't know if Captain Marvel's any good right now, I can get a decent Carol fix from that.

ElNarez

Banned
Meh, he's been roughly the same age for 7 years. Worrying about any natural passing of time in relation to comic book time is way too intangible to really be an issue. IMO neither is having a poorly written story now and again as a reason not to want to see a great character continue. That's just the type of thing that comes with the territory.

I disagree. Anything that can save us from an endless cycle of telling the same stories with the circumstances only getting more and more elaborate is good. If that involves finality, then by all means, let the murder spree begin.

SPEAKING OF, while Deadpool Kills The Marvel Universe was a big sad turd, Killustrated and the first issue of Deadpool Kills Deadpool were surprisingly enjoyable reads.

Caught up on Avengers. I'm loving everything in it, honestly.

Everyone seems characterized well enough. And since I don't know if Captain Marvel's any good right now, I can get a decent Carol fix from that.
It's damn great. I have re-read till issue 12, and it's soooo good. I never expect that the Marvel Now comics will be that good. I can't wait for Infinity.

SPEAKING OF, while Deadpool Kills The Marvel Universe was a big sad turd, Killustrated and the first issue of Deadpool Kills Deadpool were surprisingly enjoyable reads.

Yeah, I kind of like where Deadpool Kills Deadpool is going. It seems a little more fleshed out than just lame attempts at killing off characters in one panel like DKMU was.

Ein Bear

I know it's stupid to even start thinking about character ages in Marvel's weird, sliding timescale continuity, but...

I'm catching up with All New X-Men, and keep wondering how old regular-continuity Cyclops and the rest of the X-Men are supposed to be? They've said a couple of times that their young selves are about 16ish, but I've got no idea how much of a time-gap there's supposed to be here.

Cap Marvell is better than the avengers books.

Really? I haven't gotten that vibe. I read up to issue 8 before dropping the book, mind. Also, the art is ASS in issues past 8.

I miss Dexter. And issues 2, 4, 6, 7 and 8 bored me, so. A time travel arc... and a giant robot fight... I expected better.

And I love Avengers and New Avengers, mind. Everyone is characterized well. Save for SpOck, but I don't care about him much. Instead of his regular type of douche, he seems like a different type of douche, so.

Parch

Such a hit or miss character. Sometimes it's a real good laugh, other times it's a big slap of stupid. For years I've always considered Deadpool titles to be the most inconsistent books out there.

All this Deadpool talk. I wish a legit Deathstroke comic would come back. I know his nu52 run didnt make it but I really like the character and wish he was more involved in the DC universe.

went to sub Pandora and they said its a series
My dumb ass only tried it because I thought it was a mini for Trinity War. Cool surprise I guess!

Roman

All this Deadpool talk. I wish a legit Deathstroke comic would come back. I know his nu52 run didnt make it but I really like the character and wish he was more involved in the DC universe.

I think they will consider it if his Villains Month issue sells enough.

You'd have to buy a Teen Titans issue...but it's not Lobdell.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I know it's stupid to even start thinking about character ages in Marvel's weird, sliding timescale continuity, but...

I'm catching up with All New X-Men, and keep wondering how old regular-continuity Cyclops and the rest of the X-Men are supposed to be? They've said a couple of times that their young selves are about 16ish, but I've got no idea how much of a time-gap there's supposed to be here.

About 10 - 15 years in universe. So Present-day Cyke is about 30-ish, maybe a but younger.

Check out the first two issues. One is really good, but if you don't love the characters by issue 2, then the book is not for you. I'm already crawling the nets looking for more info on everyone of them.

I love this book. I agree with every word GrandHarrier wrote. It's a multifaceted teen book that should make Titans and even YA (which I love) sit up and take notice.

Maybe I'll swing by the comic shop after work tomorrow and pick up the first few issues. I was vaguely interested in this book, but if it's as good as you say...

BearChair

It would be interesting if Marvel gave a good writer a chance to play with a side universe where the continuity was treated as realtime. For instance, Peter Parker would be in his late 60s or early 70s.

It could be interesting to see a world where there have been generations of fights between heroes and villains and how regular people have coped with it.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
It would be interesting if Marvel gave a good writer a chance to play with a side universe where the continuity was treated as realtime. For instance, Peter Parker would be in his late 60s or early 70s.

It could be interesting to see a world where there have been generations of fights between heroes and villains and how regular people have coped with it.

I would love something like that. Earth X was a cool story that showed a lot of classic heroes as geezers.

This reminds me of Gail Simone's Welcome to Tranquility, which is a series from a few years ago about a town that is home to retired superheros and villains. I've never read it myself, but its on my list. I hear it's excellent.

Are there any thoughts on Satellite Sam #1 from comicGAF yet?

Edit: And what's your opinion on Ten Grand? Is it worth reading?

Read the first TP of the Marvel NOW Journey into Mystery stuff, and I really liked it, moreso as I progressed. Now i'm disappointed that it got cancelled, hopefully the team lands something soon. 'Cause Schiti's art is pretty great in this book

Acid08

Banned
Read the first TP of the Marvel NOW Journey into Mystery stuff, and I really liked it, moreso as I progressed. Now i'm disappointed that it got cancelled, hopefully the team lands something soon. 'Cause Schiti's art is pretty great in this book
It just gets better. Only two more issues :(

tim1138

Plus it's gorgeous:

Right on, thanks for the impressions guys. I trust both of your opinions, so maybe I'll give it a shot. With Inc ending this month I'll have an open spot in my list to fill.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Marvel Now and the Avengers and Age of Ultron -

Is it me, or are there a lot of stories in Marvel NOW about the universe/multiwhatever being broken? It seems the main thrust of the Avengers story is all about the universal defense systems breaking down (both in the main book and in New Avengers, two sides of the same coin?). Even Uncanny Avengers has stuff about evolution and time travel and celestials and all that other gubbins.

And then the end of Age of Ultron has wibbly wobbly timey wimey stuff too, and I'm thinking, are these stories actually related, or is it just a case of writers aiming for the same big ideas in the zeitgeist? Since AoU was pretty underwhelming, I'm wondering if it's the catalyst for all the reality-crumbling we're seeing in the Avengers books.

I hope it is all related, because otherwise these stories are all a bit samey right now.

Marvel Now and the Avengers and Age of Ultron -

Is it me, or are there a lot of stories in Marvel NOW about the universe/multiwhatever being broken? It seems the main thrust of the Avengers story is all about the universal defense systems breaking down (both in the main book and in New Avengers, two sides of the same coin?). Even Uncanny Avengers has stuff about evolution and time travel and celestials and all that other gubbins.

And then the end of Age of Ultron has wibbly wobbly timey wimey stuff too, and I'm thinking, are these stories actually related, or is it just a case of writers aiming for the same big ideas in the zeitgeist? Since AoU was pretty underwhelming, I'm wondering if it's the catalyst for all the reality-crumbling we're seeing in the Avengers books.

I hope it is all related, because otherwise these stories are all a bit samey right now.

Yeah, it all fed into the fracturing, at least the time travel stuff. You see traces of it in the last few pages of AoU, the X-Men coming back, etc. IIRC.

Edit: And what's your opinion on Ten Grand? Is it worth reading?

I've been getting Ten Grand. As of this there are three issues out.

Ten Grand has a really interesting premise, a former mob hitman is being used by heaven as a demon killer. Every time that he dies, he gets to spend 5 minutes in heaven with his love, before being ressurrected. The writing is sort of monologue detective noir mixed with actual dialogue which I've enjoyed so far. Probably the biggest hurdle has been the art which has a surreal aspect to it. At first it was a little difficult to get into, but it has grown on me, and actually feels quite appropriate considering the themes.

I recommend it.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Yeah, it all fed into the fracturing, at least the time travel stuff. You see traces of it in the last few pages of AoU, the X-Men coming back, etc. IIRC.

Yeah I thought as much, I'm not quite sure how much I like it tbh. It's a bit like with DC and the red and green and rot going round in circles for so long. There's only so much gibberish about planetary defence systems and broken universes and shit you can put up with before it all gets a bit dull. Don't forget the characters, Hickman! That's what you get story out of!

Yeah I thought as much, I'm not quite sure how much I like it tbh. It's a bit like with DC and the red and green and rot going round in circles for so long. There's only so much gibberish about planetary defence systems and broken universes and shit you can put up with before it all gets a bit dull. Don't forget the characters, Hickman! That's what you get story out of!

Fair point for sure, but I think something like All New X-Men is taking that structure and funneling it 100% into character work.

I've been getting Ten Grand. As of this there are three issues out.

Ten Grand has a really interesting premise, a former mob hitman is being used by heaven as a demon killer. Every time that he dies, he gets to spend 5 minutes in heaven with his love, before being ressurrected. The writing is sort of monologue detective noir mixed with actual dialogue which I've enjoyed so far. Probably the biggest hurdle has been the art which has a surreal aspect to it. At first it was a little difficult to get into, but it has grown on me, and actually feels quite appropriate considering the themes.

I recommend it.

Alright, sounds very good so far. Also the art I've seen around on the internet looks pretty interesting. I might give it a shot the next time I visit my LCS. Thanks for your thoughts. Do you know if this is planned as a mini series or ongoing?

Owzers

Fantastic Four #9 was okay, probably my last issue, but it was a decent one involving Doom. FF is where the fun lives, Fantastic Four feels stiff.

Superior Foes of Spider-Man was fantastic. I'm glad I gave it a shot even if it is a Spencer book. By far his strongest issue at Marvel.

Captain America sale. Looks like Brubaker's second run, which I'm not familiar with...is it as good as the winter soldier stuff?

Owzers

Captain America sale. Looks like Brubaker's second run, which I'm not familiar with...is it as good as the winter soldier stuff?

I didn't like it at all, felt really dumb. You could give the first couple issues a try to see for yourself, i'd rank it like this:

Original cap run >>>>>>>>>>Winter Soldier series>>>>>Cap Reborn onward/new cap run.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I probably shouldn't have read Crisis on Infinite Earths and Infinite Crisis back to back, my brain's kind of mushy.

Great stuff, can't help but think I'd have appreciated them more had I spaced it out.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I will say that up until maybe 4 months ago I hadn't touched a single DC comic ever - I just hadn't done it. I've since been burying myself in it and wishing I hadn't missed so much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom