• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| July 2013. Celebrate liberty with the ultimate patriotic superhero.

Status
Not open for further replies.
How is the book itself

I have quite an affection for Fearless Defenders. Quality wise it's good, though not top tier. But it's fun factor elevates it for me. I actually tried to convince myself to drop it, but decided against it. And, as a bisexual woman, I personally enjoy the crush one of the characters has for the other. Also, my pull list never has enough tough-woman-in-charge characters.

Speaking of which, I read the first issue of She-Hulks (free on Comixology) yesterday. Looks like I'm gonna have to get those trades.

kswiston

Light week:

Astro City #2
Avengers Arena #12
Daredevil #28
Hawkeye #12

Not for me.

- Batman #22
- Justice League #22
- Superman Unchained #2
- East of West #4
- Avengers Arena #12
- Daredevil #28
- Hawkeye #12
- Uncanny X-Men #8
- Young Avengers #7

Looks like Manhattan Projects was delayed again.

List!

Dark Horse

True Lives of the Faboulous Killjoys #2

DC

Batgirl #22
Batman #22
Justice League #22
Superman Unchained #2
Astro City #2

East of West #4

tim1138

This week looks like:

Astro City #2
Justice League #22
Suicide Squad #22
Uncanny X-Men #7

KoruptData, JLA is next week. They're scheduled to have an issue a week for Trinity War.

Batgirl #22
Batman #22
Green Lantern Corps #22 It has
DURLANS
. How can it not be good?
Justice League #22
Katana #6
Nightwing #22
Suicide Squad #22
Superman Unchained #2
Threshold #7
Worlds' Finest #14

Star Wars #7

Batgirl #22
Batman #22
Batman lil Gotham #4
Justice League #22
Nightwing #22
Worlds Finest #14
(lol there's a bat-something in all of them)

Daredevil #28
Indestructible Hulk #10
Superior Spiderman #13
Uncanny Xmen #8

uh, probably Green Lantern Corps

OH!, Bandette on the digital! with the usual Adventures of Superman/ Lil Gotham/ Injustice/ Dark Knight

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
It's not bad. If you like the characters I think it's for sure worth it, but it honestly feels like a filler book. You also get a lot of borderline male-fantasy lesbian sexual tension, which is one reason I'm not a huge fan of all-female teams.

But that was really only contained in the first issue. Which was a terrible introduction to the series. It's gotten much, much better. Definitely a entertaining book that does some pretty awesome things with C- list characters. It's a book I'd recommend to people on a Comixology sale.

I have quite an affection for Fearless Defenders. Quality wise it's good, though not top tier. But it's fun factor elevates it for me. I actually tried to convince myself to drop it, but decided against it. And, as a bisexual woman, I personally enjoy the crush one of the characters has for the other. Also, my pull list never has enough tough-woman-in-charge characters.

Speaking of which, I read the first issue of She-Hulks (free on Comixology) yesterday. Looks like I'm gonna have to get those trades.

Let me ask you this. From your perspective, how do you think that piece has been handled?

OH!, Bandette on the digital! with the usual Adventures of Superman/ Lil Gotham/ Injustice/ Dark Knight

I'm only reading Adventures of Superman and Legends of the Dark Knight, of what you've quoted, but I have to say I really like what they are doing with those digital first properties. Don't get me wrong, I love storylines, but reading old Legion issues gave me an appreciation for the artform that was the one (or two) and done stories and the digital firsts have just been wonderful for that. Never know what you are gonna get, but so far, they've all been fantastic.

I really hope DC and other companies take notice, and start doing more of them. I mean, you could get stories from any continuity, like your Blue Beetle / Booster Golds that just aren't possible anymore.

So someone is gonna take one for the team and get Absolute Blackest Night right?

Only $72.17, Tim.

Zm8F4Ij.gif

tim1138

Absolute Sinestro Corps didn't have the one-shots, and those were...kinda important, I felt.

Yeah that was an odd decision. Absolute Blackest Night has the GL issues not the GLC issues, which again is odd.

Woah, DC 1000000 is getting an omnibus release this fall? How did I miss that?

Acid08

Banned
Lists because it's Sunday....

12 Reasons To Die #2
Six Gun Gorilla #2(don't have 1 yet but I'm getting it just in case)
Batman #22
Chew #35
East of West #4
Prophet v2
Avengers Arena #12
Daredevil #28
Hawkguy #12
Indestructible Hulk #10
Superior Spidey #13

Busy week. Mother. Fuckin. Chew.

I'm only reading Adventures of Superman and Legends of the Dark Knight, of what you've quoted, but I have to say I really like what they are doing with those digital first properties. Don't get me wrong, I love storylines, but reading old Legion issues gave me an appreciation for the artform that was the one (or two) and done stories and the digital firsts have just been wonderful for that. Never know what you are gonna get, but so far, they've all been fantastic.

I really hope DC and other companies take notice, and start doing more of them. I mean, you could get stories from any continuity, like your Blue Beetle / Booster Golds that just aren't possible anymore.

yea, I like it
like when they do good "kids" line comics too

oh if that has everything I might do it. I have a lot of that event but I think I skipped books I wasn't into

Wool

X-Men Legacy almost makes a good replacement for Hellblazer. How many misunderstood outcasts are there in England?

2ksqi37.jpg

ElNarez

Banned
This is way too early for lists. So of course, I THINK THEREFORE I LIST :

Astro City #2 (goddamn that first issue was GOOD)
Batman #22
Demon Knights #22 (I am so bummed this is getting cancelled)
Justice League #22 (TRINITY WAR SON GET HYPE)
Suicide Squad #22 (Still the New Hotness)
Superman Unchained #2 (I sure as shit hope Jim Lee got his shit together because goddamn last time was A Mess)
East of West #4 (I think it's new?)
Daredevil #28
Hawkeye #12
Indestructible Hulk #10
Uncanny X-Men #8
Wolverine #6
Young Avengers #7 (#YOLO)

Im new to this and I know I jumped a gun a few Sundays ago and caught some shit (lol) but I think Sunday is a very acceptable day to do list. Its a day of rest and reflection and also a day where you think about the upcoming week. Im off work every Wednesday (perfect for this hobby) so im only two short work days from a lovely day of going to the comic shop and walking in and staring at a wall of colorful art. Knowing my pull list by heart, I still start at the top left and go through each one, grabbing my list as I go. Then I get to the bottom, only to do it one more time just to double check. Along the way realizing I was maybe gripping the books in my hand and afaid I may have creased one of then ill put it back and grab a fresh one. I cant wait til Wednesday!

So every Wednesday I go to my local shop, and there's this guy methodically moving across the entire release wall, grabbing and creasing a stack of books. When he finishes, he puts the damaged goods back on the shelf for some other poor schmo to buy. The nerve!

All digital, all the time, baby!

So every Wednesday I go to my local shop, and there's this guy methodically moving across the entire release wall, grabbing and creasing a stack of books. When he finishes, he puts the damaged goods back on the shelf for some other poor schmo to buy. The nerve!

All digital, all the time, baby!

Ouch. Ive only done it once. My stack started to fall out my hands when I thought I was gripping them to tight and I creased the back 2 books and I put them to the back of the stack.

arkon

Astro City #2
Daredevil #28
Hawkeye #12
Young Avengers #7
East of West #4

Not a bad week. Gives me time to hopefully make a dent in the large unread comics pile.

Let me ask you this. From your perspective, how do you think that piece has been handled?

Fine. (Fearless Defenders spoilers -->)
Yeah, there was that kiss in the first issue, which was quite possibly placed there for the young male readers. But it didn't feel to me to be out of place or gratuitous. Moving forward from that, it's clear to me that Annabelle has a crush on Val, and Val is too preoccupied to pay much attention. Or maybe she doesn't really care?
Overall, I think it's cute and fun and kinda sexy.

I read the first volume of Tim Seeley's Revival. It juggles more than one plotline at once at it is kind of a clusterfuck, but I'm really excited for the next one.

Lists, baby, lists!

East of West #4
Fearless Defenders #6
Arsenic Lullaby The Big Stall one-shot (Hopefully. If LCS ordered it)
Astro City #2 (I was not impressed by #1 but I'm gonna give this a 3-5 issue trial, out of respect for the community's enthusiasm for the series)
Suicide Squad #22 (eeeee!)
Judge Dredd Classics #1 (I encourage anyone who has wanted to check out Dredd, to pick this up. Good jumping on point. I read the Dredd shorts in the 2000 AD FCBD book and they were so good)

And probably one of these here collections. I'll leave my choice to the Comic Book Gods aka whatever the owner felt like ordering:

Amazing Enlightening True Adventures of Katherine Whaley
Genius
Workburger
Lost Cat

And, fyi, for the newphew-in-law's gift, we decided to go with Demo by Brian Wood and Becky Coolnan. Seems good for his age (18), Eisner nominated, and something a little off the beaten path.

First volume, I'm guessing? Because there were two.

Well, see, we found a collection at the book store that had both volumes in one, I think. Cause it was pretty meaty. I guess it's the omni? Anyway, it was is shitty shape and my paramour (the aunt, actually) was bothered by this. So we went to the comic shop, but they only had the second volume. We ended up just getting that. As I understand it, they are a series of stand alone stories, so we reckon it shouldn't much matter.

Well, see, we found a collection at the book store that had both volumes in one, I think. Cause it was pretty meaty. I guess it's the omni? Anyway, it was is shitty shape and my paramour (the aunt, actually) was bothered by this. So we went to the comic shop, but they only had the second volume. We ended up just getting that. As I understand it, they are a series of stand alone stories, so we reckon it shouldn't much matter.

The first volume is pretty "meaty". It's around 330 pages, I think. But it's also getting tough to find seeing as it's out of print.

The first volume is pretty "meaty". It's around 330 pages, I think. But it's also getting tough to find seeing as it's out of print.

Oh, crap, yeah, it was the first volume, you're right. Maybe I'll head back and pick it up after all, if its hard to find. I was thinking we'd give him the other volume for Christmas, assuming of course, he likes it.

Whats the deal with the x-men crossover? I buy the bendis x-men books. Am I going to have to buy the others to get the full story?

CARNAGE sale today. Just realized i had the first issue of the Wells series downloaded already back from the 700 sale, gonna give that a shot. I've liked everything i've read from him so far so it should be alright.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Monday is list day for me! Good week.

Hawkeye #12
Avengers Arena #12 Now
Daredevil #28
Superior Spider-Man #13

Astro City #2
Batman #22
East of West #4
Fantastic Four #10
Indestructible Hulk #10
Uncanny X-Men #8

Jedeye Sniv

Banned

oh if that has everything I might do it. I have a lot of that event but I think I skipped books I wasn't into

Holy crap that's awesome. Everyone needs to buy this, it's LITERALLY the best crossover event ever made. I went on a binge about 5 years abck and bought the whole thing mostly for pennies (I think the hitman issue was the hardest to find). It was brilliant. There's a few big stories woven through it (the Batman and Superman books are each their own tales), but the best stuff was where you'd least expect it. Resurrection Man as the secret best superhero ever, Starman with a fantasticly STARMAN way of approaching the event, Young Heroes in Love with a wonderful coda to the whole thing... it's just brilliant through and through.

Tenck

I liked it partly because it had the feeling that anything could happen, which is something you don't get from dc/marvel books.

Yeah that's what I'm loving. I don't want to put down to books, but I've got Mandarin to study ;_;

Edit: Is there other series people can recommend that's not the usual hero/story you usually read. I'd like to avoid the well known heroes/villains if I can.

Owzers

Yeah that's what I'm loving. I don't want to put down to books, but I've got Mandarin to study ;_;

Edit: Is there other series people can recommend that's not the usual hero/story you usually read. I'd like to avoid the well known heroes/villains if I can.

I'd look into:

Invincible
Mudman
Umbrella Academy
Nextwave Agents of Hate
Runaways
Hellboy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom