• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| July 2013. Celebrate liberty with the ultimate patriotic superhero.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah meant 11 and 10.

Not that. Hopeless never wanted to write it. His original idea was Braddock Academy which they wanted him to do this.

He doesn't get a lot of the characters but he does great work on the Braddock Academy.

The issue is the pacing and several mischaracterizations. Not to mention the nauseating dialogue of him trying to sound hip. Just makes me sigh.

But 12 and 11 were the best issues out of the bunch.

Fully expecting 13 to sell much more issues.

Deprive

I skipped today's issue. I loved it when it was all character-driven stuff, but since they started this story arc with [nobody gives a shit about] Smythe, I've been very apathetic.

Today's issue was it for the Smythe stuff. It was still character heavy. You should read it :\

Mine didn't get any :mad:

Shitty! Although, I looked everywhere on the book and it doesn't indicate anywhere that it's a second printing. Maybe my LCS just received more issues from the first batch? Anyway, if it makes you feel better, the SGG #2 I picked up is slightly damaged :/

Also, heads up, I'm going to send a PM your way.

tim1138

Anyone who skipped Suicide Squad this month missed the two best panels, both involving King Shark. First was him busting into a room saying "I'm Trixie and I like to party!" and second was him dropping an "Imperious Shark!" later in the book.

So Ghosted could be pretty interesting. The writer needs to get his feet wet a bit more and see how the premise will go into effect in the second issue. Quantum and Woody was alright. Ive never been a fan of buddy stories but I will be following the series. East of West 4 was pretty crazy.

Hey, guys, remember when we all thought Trinity War would be the next Big DC Event, rather than an overhyped six-issue prologue to the actual Big DC Event starting two months later? That was fun.

I don't, actually.

Hmm, maybe you forgot the FCBD 2012 story over a year ago or all the talk of the "road to Trinity War" regarding the JL books?

Caveat: I haven't read the first issue yet, won't get my comics for a few hours, but so far the impressions have been favorable?

It's not terrible or anything, it's just... another Geoff Johns New 52 story, for better or worse.

Also, given this and how he wrote Wonder Woman pre-Infinite Crisis, it seems that he really, really hates the idea of Diana not having a secret identity.

Hey, guys, remember when we all thought Trinity War would be the next Big DC Event, rather than an overhyped six-issue prologue to the actual Big DC Event starting two months later? That was fun.

Caveat: I haven't read the first issue yet, won't get my comics for a few hours, but so far the impressions have been favorable?

kswiston

The first issue was OK from my "not a big DC guy" perspective. Sort of a setup issue to give superheroes an excuse to fight like the first few issues of AvX. At least this is only 6 issues, so it shouldn't be nearly as padded as that event.

I have only been following JLA so far, and I have no idea who Madam Xanadu and a couple of other characters are who I am assuming belong to the JL Dark team. I'm not sure what the Question's status quo is in this version of the DCU either. Last I read of him was 52. One thing that did stand out for me was Captain Marvel. I really like his parts in the books, and might track down those JL backup stories that introduced him. I thought it was a fun take on the character from what I have seen so far.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Avengers Arena #13

Am I seeing this right?

The one's that have "died" are somewhat forced in a comatose state? What a twist, lmao

Was kinda expecting it

You mean 12?

Kid Briton is still missing his head.
'Tis only a flesh wound.

There are six pages of interior pencils for 13 online, though. None of them show any of the kids in Murderworld.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
I didn't know there was a Black Dynamite IDW series coming out this year. I'm excited since I missed out on the one shot from a year or two ago.

Gartooth

Been out of the loop with comics for about a month, went on a crazy shopping spree today! Didn't catch up on reading all the comics I bought, but right now I've read the two latest issues of Hawkeye and the two latest issues of Superior Spider-Man, loved them both. Still have to read an issue of New Avengers, an issue of All-New X-Men, and the latest two issues of Avengers.

Some of my other series I didn't bother picking up on, just wasn't at all enthused or excited to read them again compared to my top 5. (dropped DC entirely at this point even though I love their characters)

Gail Simone's Red Sonja next week pretty pumped .

Have enjoyed some of red Sonja in the past . But this should be good

A lot of Sonja has been extremely meh.But I don't think she's a bad character, she's just been mostly poorly written.

I'll definitely check out Simone's run. The early reviews I've seen indicate that it's very good.

Dysun

Age of Ultron just did this way worse

Well we haven't read Trinity, but it literally can't go nowhere til the last issue and open up some plot threads.
I hope

Chew bros!! This is coming !!

H3vQ3q4.jpg

ElNarez

Banned
Man, you guys are way too down on JL #22. It's all Geoff Johns going on gall, destroying the little house of cards he built, and it's fucking crazy in that way that makes you wanna see what's next. There's no substance or craft whatsoever, it's just a big fireworks display and come on, that's cool.

SRG01

Can anyone fill me in on what happened between UXM's last issue and this one? Wasn't Magik visiting Dr. Strange at the end of the last issue? How did she get back?

kswiston

Can anyone fill me in on what happened between UXM's last issue and this one? Wasn't Magik visiting Dr. Strange at the end of the last issue? How did she get back?

You should label your spoilers so people know what book you are talking about.

Answer: Bendis

Real Answer:
Presumably she is teleporting back and forth for their lessons. She wasn't stuck in that era.

Dysun

AoU was certainly a much worse comic, but at least it has no apparent connection to Infinity.

It broke the timeline and set in motion the events in Avengers/New Avengers with the incursions and collapse of the System. It was hamfisted sure, but the only fallout from the book is Infinity and Angela

Loved the new issue of Hawkeye and Avengers Arena, but the real highlight for me was last week's issue of Lazarus. I just caught up with it today and it's a superb start.

kswiston

It broke the timeline and set in motion the events in Avengers/New Avengers with the incursions and collapse of the System. It was hamfisted sure, but the only fallout from the book is Infinity and Angela

This is just conjecture at this point. At best, they shoehorned that connection into AoU late in the game. I'd bet money that Hickman had his roadmap for Avengers drawn up before Angela or broken timelines were part of Age of Ultron.

The series remains unnecessary for anything actually going on in the Marvel U.

Lombaszko

Man, you guys are way too down on JL #22. It's all Geoff Johns going on gall, destroying the little house of cards he built, and it's fucking crazy in that way that makes you wanna see what's next. There's no substance or craft whatsoever, it's just a big fireworks display and come on, that's cool.
I agree and disagree. I think that making you want to see what's next IS Johns' craft, it's great! But yeah, I love how this is just the last two years starting to fall apart. Can't wait.

On a side note that no one will care about, I cancelled my subscriptions at the local shop. I'm tired of adding and dropping each month. I'll just pick stuff off the shelf and that way I won't waste money on fill in issues and stuff.

Dysun

This is just conjecture at this point. At best, they shoehorned that connection into AoU late in the game. I'd bet money that Hickman had his roadmap for Avengers drawn up before Angela or broken timelines were part of Age of Ultron.

The series remains unnecessary for anything actually going on in the Marvel U.

I agree which is why I said it was hamfisted into the story afterwards. AoU is just overall terrible since it really amounted to nothing but Hank Pym soft reboot and Angela. Meandering 10 issues that didn't even feature it's namesake until far too late in the game.

Got through my pile. My favorites this week were Astro City #2, Walking Dead #112, East of West #4, and Chew #35. Good shit. :D

Uncanny X-Men #8 was pretty good as well.

ReiGun

Justice League: Put me down as being on board with Trinity War. It' not going to change the comics landscape or anything, but it looks like it's going to be a fun superhero punch-em-up, which is honestly all I want from Justice League at this point.

Hawkeye: I wasn't really feeling this issue. This was really the first time reading Hawkeye where it felt like "filler." I'm sure Fraction will do some fun stuff with Barney in the future, though.

Uncanny X-Men: I wish Irving was still on art, but besides that, I dug this issue.
Though, I'm not sure I buy a master tactician like Cyclops not being prepared for Fabio's family being under surveillance.

Superman Unchained: Really like this. I blame Gaf for making me realize Synder's "story time" habit though. lol I love Clark's internal voice, really nails the character.

Wool

Every time there is a hole in UXM I just assume it's because I don't read All New X-Men. For example:
in #4 there is a lot of dialogue explaining the Stepford Sister's decision to switch schools, but then it just skips to them being back home and Angel also switched over. What made him decided to switch schools? How could Bendis not elaborate on that?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom