• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| July 2013. Celebrate liberty with the ultimate patriotic superhero.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just read my first issue of Batgirl since the Death of the Family arc. Really solid book. I think I'll stick with it. The premise of the Batgirl: Wanted arc is promising.

JEKKI

ahahaha! Swamp Things is a better Constantine book than Constantine!!!

48369d5ee9e911e2b6c722000a9d0edd_7.jpg

love it!!

Superior Spider-Man - Fantastic issue.
The creation of a spider-island was a pretty cool development.

Hawkeye - Had a lot to live up to after the last issue, and I say it did. I'm really liking these issues that feel like one-shots.

Daredevil - Great issue as always.
Really liked the dialogue between Murdock and Nate Hackett. Shocked when he was shot at the end.

Young Avengers - This issue was gorgeous. It took me a while to get used to the writing in this series, but the art is what made me stick with it.

Indestructible Hulk - The interaction between Daredevil and Hulk made this a fun one to read.

Pretty much loved everything I picked up this week so far, even though I haven't had a chance to read Ghosted or Justice League yet.

tm24

JL22 Spoilers

I loved the Outsider Flashpoint mini. So more of something that resembles him is something im totally down with

id love for sejic to do more tradional pencils instead of all digital.

also i believe ravine vol 2 this moth!

hype

He's gonna be doing $20 sketch covers at a store around 40 minutes from my house on Saturday, I'm debating going. On one hand, he's not in the U.S. often and he's a great artist, but I'm still saving up for SDCC and I can't simply drive down there. Hurm.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Batman was fantastic this week. The almost Oroboros-
riddle
page was spectacular. When Capullo and Snyder think of new ways to present scenes, it's always on point and fucking rad.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Just been reading my vol2 trade of Saga and wow, #11 just slayed me. Such an incredible book, I love how it's not about all the Star Wars shit at all, it's about love and family, it's wonderful. That whole riff with Sexy Alana and "shoot it in my twat" had me legit laughing out loud too, Vaughn has a couple talking about sex in a way that I've never seen in a comic before and it's so sweet and dirty and realistic. Such a stunning book.

http://www.newsarama.com/18331-marvel-knights-returns-with-indie-influenced-take-on-x-men.html

Before Joe Quesada's decade-long stint as Marvel's editor-in-chief, he and Jimmy Palmiotti presided over the "Marvel Knights" imprint, which debuted in 1998 and presented memorable takes on classic characters including Paul Jenkins and Jae Lee's Inhumans,Christopher Priest and Mark Texeira's Black Panther and a Kevin Smith-written Daredevil, illustrated by Quesada himself.

As Quesada — currently Marvel's chief creative officer — rose to power at the publisher, the line continued, producing acclaimed works like The Sentry, Garth Ennis and Steve Dillon's Punisher, Madrox (which preceded Peter David's return to X-Factor) and Brian Michael Bendis and Alex Maleev's Daredevil run. Yet Marvel Knights has stayed mostly dormant since 2010's Spider-Man: Fever, primarily used as branding for the company's motion comics adaptations of print stories.

That changes this fall, with three new Marvel Knights miniseries launching in successive months. Each one pairs creators mostly known for their work at independent publishers with some of Marvel's biggest icons, starting in October with Marvel Knights: Spider-Man from writer Matt Kindt and artist Marco Rudy. November brings Guerilla's Brahm Revel writing and drawing Marvel Knights: X-Men, and December sees writer Joe Keatinge and artist Piotr Kowalski on Marvel Knights: Hulk.
More at the link, including an interview with Brahm Revel.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Just been reading my vol2 trade of Saga and wow, #11 just slayed me. Such an incredible book, I love how it's not about all the Star Wars shit at all, it's about love and family, it's wonderful. That whole riff with Sexy Alana and "shoot it in my twat" had me legit laughing out loud too, Vaughn has a couple talking about sex in a way that I've never seen in a comic before and it's so sweet and dirty and realistic. Such a stunning book.
I recently read all 12 issues and enjoyed it greatly too. I'm glad I read it back to back though. And yeah, the crazy space stuff works greatly as a backdrop for all the character interactions. It's one of those books where no matter how random something may appear you still feel they know what they're doing.

Also, there's a new on-going spinning out of Infinity called "Inhuman", written by Matt Fraction. Haven't announced the artist yet, but here's a McNiven picture because why not

1373548767.jpg

Boy, either McNiven didn't get the memo on the new Spidey outfit or they are ending Superior faster than I thought

ooooooooooooooor it's Miles Morales

Owzers

Wolverine has got to be the hardest working man in comics. When does he even sleep?

keep it up and they'll start a Marvel Downtime line that is dedicated to wolverine and spider-man eating pizza, sleeping, and going on vacation. It will be written by Bendis.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Also, there's a new on-going spinning out of Infinity called "Inhuman", written by Matt Fraction. Haven't announced the artist yet, but here's a McNiven picture because why not

1373548767.jpg

Boy, either McNiven didn't get the memo on the new Spidey outfit or they are ending Superior faster than I thought

Have they said when its launching?

1373548767.jpg

That looks more like a general promo pic for Marvel Now Phase 2 than a promotion for any particular book or storyline. Odd.

1373548767.jpg

Please, God. I need the Spectacular One back.

Well, actually, this way I'm saving money, but don't want it to last too long, y'know?

EDIT: What the heck is Wolverine wearing? It's not terrible, but...

1373548767.jpg

So Rich Johnson was correct again. Only thing that sucks is I assumed it would be a book about the Inhumans not the Marvel Universe in general.

So Rich Johnson was correct again. Only thing that sucks is I assumed it would be a book about the Inhumans not the Marvel Universe in general.
It's about the Inhumans.

(WARNING! The EW story contains minor spoilers for the 'infinity' crossover!)

http://popwatch.ew.com/2013/07/11/marvels-inhumanity-fraction/

Father_Brain's right, that artwork looks like a promotional piece, just like the first one that came out when Marvel NOW! was announced.

Owzers

Hmmm which Fraction will we get on Inhumans? Awesome Immortal Iron Fist, FF, Hawkguy Fraction? Or bland serious business Uncanny X-Men, Fantastic Four, and Iron Man Fraction?

KURRRTTTTTTTTT

YESSSSSSSSS

*tears*

Re: Wolverine, this is why Schism is the best event ever, if only for the panel of Wolverine snikting into the floor after getting woken up by Scott.

EDIT:
WHOA, the hook for Inhuman sounds amazing.

Basically another set of mutants in the MU.

OMG THE IMPLICATIONS FOR WATXM
OMFG
OMFGGGGG

kswiston

Hmmm which Fraction will we get on Inhumans? Awesome Immortal Iron Fist, FF, Hawkguy Fraction? Or bland serious business Uncanny X-Men, Fantastic Four, and Iron Man Fraction?

I would guess that his approach to the series will be more along the lines of his Mighty Thor.

Matt Fraction wouldn't have been my pick for an Inhumans book though.

Are we getting a little relaxed about spoiler tags, maybe? Even if we're not talking about major plot points, I reckon spoiler tags are in order when we are referencing specific details of what is happening in the panels of a recently released or upcoming floppy or trade. I've read a couple things in the last few pages that I wish I hadn't.

While I'm bitching, I finished Scalped vol. 1, and I really should have waited until the end of it to begin heaping praise. While it's a finely crafted product, I'm not going to be reading further.
They killed my favorite character. Yet another woman in a refrigerator- killed to advance the plot and complicate the life of the protagonist. Yawn.

Are we getting a little relaxed about spoiler tags, maybe? Even if we're not talking about major plot points, I reckon spoiler tags are in order when we are referencing specific details of what is happening in the panels of a recently released or upcoming floppy or trade. I've read a couple things in the last few pages that I wish I hadn't.

While I'm bitching, I finished Scalped vol. 1, and I really should have waited until the end of it to begin heaping praise. While it's a finely crafted product, I'm not going to be reading further.
They killed my favorite character. Yet another woman in a refrigerator- killed to advance the plot and complicate the life of the protagonist. Yawn.

Whhhhat.
The death in Scalped is in no way a Woman In A Refrigerator type deal AT ALL. It is essential to the story and has repercussions and layers all the way through to the end of the series. It's almost 100% about that murder. Was Laura Palmer a woman in a refrigerator?

I haven't had a chance to read my books from yesterday yet, only Superman Unchained, and wow fucking off the hook good.

Justice League is up next.

kswiston

Your spoiler is the center of the entire series. It would be the equivalent of turning off Mystic River due to what happens in the first few minutes.

Whhhhat.
The death in Scalped is in no way a Woman In A Refrigerator type deal AT ALL. It is essential to the story and has repercussions and layers all the way through to the end of the series. It's almost 100% about that murder. Was Laura Palmer a woman in a refrigerator?

Ok, Ok, fair enough. I only read the first trade, so I didn't have the full picture. With how much was happening and how complicated the situation was already, it didn't occur to me
that they would make Gina's murder a major ongoing focus moving forward from here. Still, it hurts a lot. And I guess it's suppose to, I get it. But the fact remains that the character I most wanted to follow through the series is gone.

Ok, Ok, fair enough. I only read the first trade, so I didn't have the full picture. With how much was happening and how complicated the situation was already, it didn't occur to me
that they would make Gina's murder a major ongoing focus moving forward from here. Still, it hurts a lot. And I guess it's suppose to, I get it. But the fact remains that the character I most wanted to follow through the series is gone.

Flashbacks exist for a reason and I don't understand how you could get that attached to a barely-developed character. Isn't the first volume largely about Dash arriving on/integrating into the Rez?

Owzers

Image solicits for October came out. Good news is, new books by Kieron Gillen, Kelly Sue/Emma Rios, and Brubaker/Epting are launching

Bad news, no Saga or Lazarus this month! Spike Spiegel pls

I wonder what the demand will be for an absolute-ish $100 slipcase collection of Chew 1-20. The oversized hardcovers seem plenty to me.

definitely buying Mara tpb. A lot of these new image books are 3.50....beats 3.99 though it would be great if image would start including drm free digital issues with purchase :O

So I read the first 2 volumes of Gotham Central. Taking my own personal bias away I can say they are really good books and an imteresting perspective on the Batman universe. The 2nd volume ends with the
Madhatter
story arc which was the best of the bunch IMO. My problem is I dont know if I want to finish it. There was many parts that just bored me. Does the series have a big payoff or is it a slow burn all the way through?

I would have to purchase the last 2 or find at a library.

Flashbacks exist for a reason and I don't understand how you could get that attached to a barely-developed character. Isn't the first volume largely about Dash arriving on/integrating into the Rez?

Largely? I guess, but plenty of time is spent setting up
Red Crow and Gina
, as well. And this isn't simply about being "attached" or having my feelings hurt. It's about what I want out of comics. And I want woman's stories. Yes, this book is about a male protagonist, fine, good. I like Dash.
But the story I was MOST interested in reading was Ginas. I don't usually chose to read dark, gritty violent books unless there is a good, complicated female character to keep me interested.

kswiston

Largely? I guess, but plenty of time is spent setting up
Red Crow and Gina
, as well. And this isn't simply about being "attached" or having my feelings hurt. It's about what I want out of comics. And I want woman's stories. Yes, this book is about a male protagonist, fine, good. I like Dash.
But the story I was MOST interested in reading was Ginas. I don't usually chose to read dark, gritty violent books unless there is a good, complicated female character to keep me interested.

Without giving too much away, besides a lot of back story for the character you are mentioning, the story sets up another major female character (and a few minor ones) in upcoming volumes that have interesting story arcs.

The book actually meanders a lot in subsequent volumes. The focus of the entire series is on Dash, but certain story arcs barely involve him. Sort of like Gaiman's Sandman in a way.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
The book actually meanders a lot in subsequent volumes. The focus of the entire series is on Dash, but certain story arcs barely involve him. Sort of like Gaiman's Sandman in a way.

That's actually a pretty spot-on analogy, dude. The woman-in-a-fridge event that that poster is misinterpreting entirely is always at the epicenter of everything (or at least, Dash and how its affected him and how things got to that point and what happens after) but the story pulses outwards and you get a great web of interesting characters woven throughout.

Also, you get more Shunka, so you shouldn't stop reading. Because more Shunka is good Shunka.

Without giving too much away, besides a lot of back story for the character you are mentioning, the story sets up another major female character (and a few minor ones) in upcoming volumes that have interesting story arcs.

Thank you for this information. It's very helpful. And, thinking about it, it makes sense. I mean Aaron did such a good job
writing Gina. It would make sense that he wrote other interesting arcs featuring female characters down the line. I mean, it's not a short series. And I imagine Carol has somewhere to go development-wise.
I will take this into account.

One of the books being released in October is called Peter Parker: Spider-Man, centered around Flashbacks of the good ol' days.

Edit: Also Marvel Solicits!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom