• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| July 2013. Celebrate liberty with the ultimate patriotic superhero.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Owzers

Suprised to see vol 2 of Hawkeye released this week along wih 13. Now im all caught up.

Why is DC the worst when it comes to trades?

Didio hates trades so DC doesn't bother putting them out at a reasonable rate. I forget the exact quote but it was to the effect of pushing monthly issues and not wanting people to wait for the trades/not liking the trade format.

tim1138

Really ? Because I feel like his color and design work really managed to push the pathos of the issue that bit further. Mutant propaganda by way of teenage drama, which is exactly what I want from this incarnation of Uncanny.

He does absolutely nothing for me, especially coming off of the arc with Frazier Irving.

The haul with a purchase by my wife.

CameraZOOM-20130710120407450.jpg

Andrew Hope's new book

Fantomex MAX

No, not really. My mandate from Axel was simply to find the core of Fantomex and write something that didn't rely on continuity. I did keep EVA, though, and I really enjoy writing that character a lot. There is a new character introduced early on, who propels Fantomex's involvement in the story, so I suppose that makes her a supporting cast member. But you've hit on an important note for me, one that struck me immediately as i was getting further into development, and that's Fantomex being a traditionally solo act. That one detail was actually the lynchpin for my understanding of him, and I've tried to build him up in layers and make him a complex character.

art by shawn crystal.

coves by fracavella

Deprive

Wood more or less confirms that his Ultimate X-Men run is ending with the World War X arc:

He doesn't, of course, address whether or not the series is ending. I'd be very surprised if it (and Ultimates) aren't given their sales and Hunger, but we should find out fairly soon with SDCC coming up.

Yeah I can see Ult X-man and Ultimates ending. Ultimates is the best it's been since Hickman. Today's issue was awesome. If their gonna end it, end it on a high note I guess.

Yeah I can see Ult X-man and Ultimates ending. Ultimates is the best it's been since Hickman. Today's issue was awesome. If their gonna end it, end it on a high note I guess.

Fun fact: based on May sales, those two are currently Marvel's lowest-selling ongoing books (outside the MAX and all-ages lines) that have yet to be officially cancelled.

They've unsuccessfully attempted two major relaunches of the Ultimate line in the span of four years. Miles Morales should and almost certainly will live on somehow, but otherwise, Marvel should just let it die; if they try for a third time, they're frankly nuts.

Deprive

Fun fact: based on May sales, those two are currently Marvel's lowest-selling ongoing books (outside the MAX and all-ages lines) that have yet to be officially cancelled.

They've unsuccessfully attempted two major relaunches of the Ultimate line in the span of four years. Miles Morales should and almost certainly will live on somehow, but otherwise, Marvel should just let it die; if they try for a third time, they're frankly nuts.

Damn guess this is going to be it :| Miles will probably pull a Spider-Girl for awhile. Hope they don't bring him in to 616.

Doing a relaunch when the Nu52 started was really stupid :\

I will read the hell out of that Fantomex book. After reading Uncanny X-Force, he surpassed Nightcrawler as my favorite X-Men character.

Then again, Remender even made Deadpool tolerable, so it all comes down to how he is handled.

JL#22 Impressions: I enjoyed it. My knowlwdge of the Phantom Stranger is low so I dont get his involvment but the rest was pretty cool. I once again dont get all the negative spoiler reactions.

JL#22 Impressions: I enjoyed it. My knowlwdge of the Phantom Stranger is low so I dont get his involvment but the rest was pretty cool. I once again dont get all the negative spoiler reactions.

While there is much more to it, Phantom Stranger (in the New 52) is essentially a Judas analogue; The betrayer. He has to serve penance to lift the curse he has been inflicted with.

Only bought UXM, Secret Avengers and TWD. I'm still not buying Hawkeye because I have that oversized hardcover preordered.

After liking the premise, I felt UXM was getting dull (Bendis has never done mystical stuff too well) but this issue was pretty good. I really like how Cyclops is characterized and his relationship with Magneto. Bendis still feels better on this than he did in these last couple of Avengers years.

I got into Secret Avengers last week. I tend to love the espionage stuff such as Secret War and Secret Warrior and this is right up my alley. I dig what they've been developing with AIM island being a sovereign country and I really loved some of Guice's panels. Tangentially, after retreading the previous volumes of Avengers and New Avengers, the high point of both really was Osborn's power grab and it kind of played into the same mythos.

As for TWD...

Walking Dead is so dumb. I don't even know why I'm reading this shit.
Yeah, that.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
I've scrutinized the last couple pages of Avengers Arena intensely a few times. Still not entirely sure what to make of it.
pretty sure Chris is dead, though... preserved just like the very dead Red Raven on the right, but the bottom-left of the last page is really throwing me
Also, popcorn.

EDIT: OK, now I'm not at all confused. They just drew one of the characters weird.

EDIT: Read some comments from Hopeless from today. Yeah, that last page is exactly what it looks like.
totally called it on Chris a few months back

Avengers Arena:

Holy fucking crap, what a curbstomp of a battle. My girl Nico decimating dem lifebars.

And that last page, I got chills. What's Arcade up to now? This book is amazing, I don't want it to end. #chasehawk

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Avengers Arena:

Holy fucking crap, what a curbstomp of a battle. My girl Nico decimating dem lifebars.

And that last page, I got chills. What's Arcade up to now? This book is amazing, I don't want it to end. #chasehawk

It's just a morgue. The two fleshy bodies that have been dead the longest, Red Raven and Darkhawk, are soaking in preservatives. The bodies under the sheets are Juston and Kid Briton, less the head, which is soaking in preservatives near it.

So it looks like for the new DC four dollar books have better cover material on them, like Before Watchmen. Batman/Superman and the first two issues of Superman Unchained have it.

Kinyou

IGN had an article about Kirkman trying to avoid George Lucasing The Walking Dead the other day

That happened a long time ago lol
Didn't he always use to say that he'll keep the series going until it's completely run into the ground?

Owzers

So it looks like for the new DC four dollar books have better cover material on them, like Before Watchmen. Batman/Superman and the first two issues of Superman Unchained have it.

they seem random with it, the first issue of batman zero year had it, yet JLoA and JL the same month did not.

It's just a morgue. The two fleshy bodies that have been dead the longest, Red Raven and Darkhawk, are soaking in preservatives. The bodies under the sheets are Juston and Kid Briton, less the head, which is soaking in preservatives near it.

Ummmm... Hopeless hasn't confirmed this.

How do you explain Mettle's robotic body? You don't.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Batman was good this month. That one page with
the stone serpent that had the conversation with Bruce and Riddler in it
was just really awesome. I feel like Snyder and Capullo are pulling out the stops for this story, it's probably going to be the best story of their partnership at this rate.

Superman Unchained remains larger than life and is just going to the craziest places imaginable. Yet somehow it stays human. I liked
Batman's cameo
and the back-up. Shit gets realer than real next month.

Hawkguy is Hawkguy. Still awesome, and the best book this week that isn't Batman. Guess what?
Chickenbutt

Superior Spider-Man continues it's journey off the rails. Otto has lost his damn mind and this is all going to come falling down around him soon enough. I still can't believe
he blackmailed JJJ and made the Raft his new supervillain hideout
. Dude may be nuts, but that was ballsy. This is going to be a spectacular train wreck, I can't wait to see it.

It seems like the sort of f*cked up thing this series would do to
have Arcade "reanimate" the dead kids and set them upon their former friends.
Just blind speculation; I don't read the book but I saw the page in question.

And Young Avengers has the best layouts of all time. OF ALL TIME.

TAJ

Some guy: I waited from issue
#3 to #12 to find my favorite hero (Chris Powell) dead behind glass? That's it? #missingsomething

DH: Is that what's going on there?

The guy: sure looks like it :( I'm at a loss for what may possibly happen next.

DH: I know it's frustrating but that's what we were going for with that page

Some guy: I waited from issue
#3 to #12 to find my favorite hero (Chris Powell) dead behind glass? That's it? #missingsomething

DH: Is that what's going on there?

The guy: sure looks like it :( I'm at a loss for what may possibly happen next.

DH: I know it's frustrating but that's what we were going for with that page

Bro. He isn't confirming a morgue. He is saying the panel in question is supposed to make you ask what is happening next.

Anyway, doesn't matter. Book is going to be retconned since its sales are in the shitter now officially. Legacy beat #12 last month .

TAJ

You think he's saying that they're just trying to frustrate people? It's possible, but doubtful.

No he is trying to make people go what is going on here?

AKA he is trying to get sales back up and he is setting up so it can easily be retconned.

Marvel thought this book was going to be a blockbuster hit and is at the point of failing.

I mean, Comicvine doesn't even review it anymore.

Marvel thought this book was going to be a blockbuster hit and is at the point of failing.

What are we talking about? Guardians?

Cosmic books never do well in the grand scale of comic sales. Marvel should know this by now. Sure, they always have an audience, but the vast majority don't really seem to give a fuck about cosmic stuff.

kswiston

Bro. He isn't confirming a morgue. He is saying the panel in question is supposed to make you ask what is happening next.

Anyway, doesn't matter. Book is going to be retconned since its sales are in the shitter now officially. Legacy beat #12 last month .

??

#12 came out today, and #10 and 11 were both ahead of X-Men Legacy in June (though not by much).

Avengers Arena is a concept that should have a set ending after a finite run. I would be fine with the book being finished after 18 issues or so, even if I am enjoying the title so far.

Speaking of Sales, DC had a pretty strong month in June. They were still behind Marvel, but not by much. I wonder how things will look August with both Infinity and Trinity War running.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom