• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| July 2013. Celebrate liberty with the ultimate patriotic superhero.

Status
Not open for further replies.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
I'm really excited for some of those newly announced Image comics. Both Remember series sound great. I will also have to pick up Aaron's Southern Bastards.

Acid08

Banned
I'm really excited for some of those newly announced Image comics. Both Remember series sound great. I will also have to pick up Aaron's Southern Bastards.
Yeah for sure, all three of those are must buys for me. Latour on the art for Southern is going to be great.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
Is Latour one of the main BPRD artists? I think that is where I recognize the name. I haven't started that yet. I need to read Hellboy Library vol 3 first.

Fraction's Odyssey series sounds interesting as well. He is going to be on so many titles by then if he doesn't leave any.

JL22 was good shit, Batman 22 was pretty damn awesome as well. WF14 was so so, I feel like its dragging its feet right now till fill the trade. Batgirl is next!

Also I'm liking where Trinity war is going so far, shit has promise and feels like it could be damn good.

MartyStu

I know Superior Spider-man can only end in complete and utter disaster, but I LOVE Otto.

Man, I really hope they find a way to preserve him when Peter comes back.

Or better yet, don't bring Peter back...

I know Superior Spider-man can only end in complete and utter disaster, but I LOVE Otto.

image.php

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Fucking LOL.

If you, like me, were wondering why Gaiman had barely said a single word about his supposed co-writing of GotG #5-7... Well, you have your answer.

drop that chick in a vat somewhere never to fucking be seen again, all i need from gaiman is him working on marvelman.

no. pete needs to come back so he can overcome all this shit. that and i want mephisto to get pissed off

Caught up on my reading a bit today.

Astro City #2: This is the part where I thank all the people who gushed about the brilliance of this series. Y'all inspired me to give it a 5 issue trial (There's a review of Astro City #1 on the Comic Geek Speak podcast that alone would prompt most anyone to do the same). This book has an odd charm. I'm not suggesting that this particular issue will knock-your-socks-off, but it was a fun read, and I'm getting a good feeling about the series.
And it was delightfully groovy how it came from a differenct perspective this week.

Suicide Squad #22: Whew, what break-neck speed this book clips at! It's just what you would expect of a story that takes place in Las Vegas. Looking forward to #23 (even though I'll be dropping after Kot's run).

Fearless Defenders #6: This one felt like the writers wanted to craft a perfect jumping off point for those on the fence about sticking with the series. All wrapped in a bow.
There's the pages of exposition at the end where supporting characters are standing around listening to a monologue like actors in bad season 7 Buffy episode. At least there's fighting. Or, well, an ass-kicking. But they killed off my Annabelle.
Good chance this was my last FD book.

Gotta cut the fat. Make room for these promising upcoming titles.

Woot! My bud Jim Zub finally got to announce that his IDW Samurai Jack series is coming!

http://www.jimzub.com/im-writing-samurai-jack-the-comic-series/

“Samurai Jack is an irresistible mix of high adventure, comedy and mythic storytelling.” Said series writer Jim Zub (Skullkickers) who will be joined by Andy Suriano (Character Designer on the original Samurai Jack TV series) to lead Jack on his newest adventure! Suriano’s affinity for Jack will help shape his continuing adventure, “Returning to Samurai Jack is such a personal experience and labor of love for me. It’s like stepping through a time portal back to characters I know as friends and a world that really launched my animation career.” The first 5-issue arc will explore the secrets of the “Rope of Eons”. Could this be the tool of Jack’s salvation?

Joy!

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
no. pete needs to come back so he can overcome all this shit. that and i want mephisto to get pissed off

God knows how he's going to fix all this shit, Spock has gone full supervillain now,
dude put in a order for minions ffs
. I didn't even know you could order those over the phone.

Woot! My bud Jim Zub finally got to announce that his IDW Samurai Jack series is coming!

http://www.jimzub.com/im-writing-samurai-jack-the-comic-series/

Joy!

With variant covers by Genndy himself? I am fucking sold. I need this in my life.

This week's Young Avengers was downright amazing. I think this might be my #3 Marvel book behind X-Factor and Daredevil.

It's such a joyous read every issue, and that credits page was the best I've ever seen. You can just tell how much fun Gillen and McKelvie are having with this.

My impression of Locke and Key volume 1: Oh my goodness why did I wait so long to start reading this.

The temptation to go order every remaining volume is sizable.

So, I was checking out the Inhumans reaction on CBR, and one person pointed out - this could be the MCU's way of having mutants without having mutants. It's brilliant, I think.

Tizoc

Samurai Jack comic huh? Neat, wonder if it'll conclude the series?
Random musings I found while lurking the net:
LPRaspn.jpg

WS2MIS1.jpg

Well, I'm intrigued by the X-men one, and on board with the Spidey one. Liked that it didn't beat around the bush, straight up said its Peter Parker Spider-Man.

Viewt

Is Geoff John evre gonna do something creative owned.

would think he would have done a vertigo book by now

It doesn't really seem like he wants to. I mean, he's created a handful of characters in the DCU, but I don't think his particular brand of storytelling and worldbuilding would be as potent outside of the DCU. His Avengers run was okay and he did a pretty decent Vision mini-series with Ethan Van Sciver, but he really didn't hit his stride until the latter half of the 00s when he had JSA, his first Green Lantern volume and The Flash going at the same time.

#TeamSupermanPunchedFirst

#TeamShazam

Had to go back and reread JL#22. Man. MAN. MAN. Those Superman/Shazam pages. Sogood.gif. Why isn't there a Shazam solo book right now? This is a fucking tragedy.

It doesn't really seem like he wants to. I mean, he's created a handful of characters in the DCU, but I don't think his particular brand of storytelling and worldbuilding would be as potent outside of the DCU. His Avengers run was okay and he did a pretty decent Vision mini-series with Ethan Van Sciver, but he really didn't hit his stride until the latter half of the 00s when he had JSA, his first Green Lantern volume and The Flash going at the same time.

I started his run on Teen Titans last night and its pretty good.

kswiston

I decided to re-read Infinite Crisis, and am making my way through the OMAC Project miniseries. I love how DC had the balls to interrupt the story after issue 3 and say "Hey, you know this 6 issue mini you have been reading? If you really want to follow the story, you need to buy 4 extra issues of Superman and Wonder Woman comics before you start issue #4". Whenever I am annoyed at pointless tie in issues for Batman or something else, I will try to remember that it could be worse. At least they are no longer making tie-in mini series to a tie-in mini-series.

That said, I miss Rucka working on the DCU.

Deprive

Both USM and UXM are wrapping up arcs in October, there's no issue of Ultimates, we're getting a classified book called Cataclysm spinning out of Hunger, and the Ultimate U panel at SDCC next week promises "a startling announcement about the future of the Ultimate Universe." Hmmm...

Guess that's going to be it then for the ultimate uni. :|

Slott can stay on Spidey as long as he wants. His run has been awesome so far. Hell I like Spock more then Peter.

Guess that's going to be it then for the ultimate uni. :|

Slott can stay on Spidey as long as he wants. His run has been awesome so far. Hell I like Spock more then Peter.

Brevoort says Ultimates isn't cancelled... well, we'll see next week. I have my doubts.

Guessing that there'll be one token remaining Ultimate book, "Ultimate Spider-Man and the Ultimates" or something along those lines, but if Marvel is really crazy enough to try the third major multi-book Ultimate relaunch in four years... well, they'll get the sales they deserve.

Also, when I reread all of East of West last night, I came to the conclusion that I might do that everytime a new one comes out. Like many of you have said, holding that paper and flipping the pages is so good.

kswiston

I could see ult characters coming to the reg universe. That way ultimate is canceled but not canceled :|

Hope I'm wrong but with sales so low... :\

There's no room for the Ultimates in the regular Marvel U, unless it was some sort of one-time miniseries crossover. Miles could have a spot in regular continuity (even though I think that he would eventually fade into obscurity), but the rest of those characters are better of dead if they are going to scrap the line.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom