• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| July 2013. Celebrate liberty with the ultimate patriotic superhero.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
This is the greatest piece of art
ThingTwart.jpg

Vibranium

Banned
I want to see Galactus put the Ultimate universe out of its misery

Me too, but first we have to see 616 Captain America beat the crap out of President Bigot Cap, and then toss his ass into the "characters who are never coming back" pit.

Now that I think about it, 50's Captain America and Ultimate Cap would get along just fine.

bro1

Banned
I have the Marvel Unlimited program on my iPad. If I wanted to get into X-Men and haven't read XMen on a regular basis since the 90's, where would you start? Any Arch in particular?

Owzers

I have the Marvel Unlimited program on my iPad. If I wanted to get into X-Men and haven't read XMen on a regular basis since the 90's, where would you start? Any Arch in particular?

I would read Whedon's Astonishing X-Men run :) I think his full run is up there, about 25 issues.

Also read Nextwave Agents of Hate because it's amazing and all 12 issues are on MU.

I would say that Schism is the most recent arc that explains why things are the way they are currently. I also found it very enjoyable.

Owzers

Damn each month there are least five new books I wanna get. In October its a ton.

hardly anything ever ends these days, i know we get grumpy with cancellations of the one or two titles we like, but of the 40 books i buy, by the time i drop a book or two from my pull list i've already added 3.

hardly anything ever ends these days, i know we get grumpy with cancellations of the one or two titles we like, but of the 40 books i buy, by the time i drop a book or two from my pull list i've already added 3.

I still say comics should be published like Brit series. Do a storyline, take a small break, do another. Rinse, repeat.

I still say comics should be published like Brit series. Do a storyline, take a small break, do another. Rinse, repeat.

The only thing I don't like about those is that series like that tend to be renumbered for each mini-series. I know Image does it for books like Luther Strode, and Dark Horse does it for a few of their titles. It makes the whole thing feel a bit disjointed.

The only thing I don't like about those is that series like that tend to be renumbered for each mini-series. I know Image does it for books like Luther Strode, and Dark Horse does it for a few of their titles. It makes the whole thing feel a bit disjointed.

They could do what Skullkickers does and have a Master issue number somewhere inside.

To me it's not disjointed as I know the reading order, and storyline start and end. Far far preferable.

Owzers

Absolute Blackest Night is at instocktrades.com for half off.....i passed on buying this but did anyone get it? Any bonus features? Is it amazings?

Owzers

I enjoyed Blackest Night, especially Black Hand, but found Necron to be a little goofy and the plot kind of got out of hand into a brightest day launching point instead of a good story. Blackest Night was the conclusion to Johns' Green Lantern run in spirit, and it was a decent one. I also liked the Rage of the Red Lanterns build up to the event.

I felt BN had a pretty great buildup to a fairly uninteresting event (way below Sinestro) and the $125 MSRP for 575 pages is a poor deal, even at 50%, when for less $$$ you can get a similar number of pages with the far FAR superior Absolute Top Ten or Solo Deluxe Edition.

dan2026

The opening to Blackest Night where Black Hand comes home and murders his entire family before killing himself, is still one of the most disturbing things I have read in a Superhero comic.

Owzers

I felt BN had a pretty great buildup to a fairly uninteresting event (way below Sinestro) and the $125 MSRP for 575 pages is a poor deal, even at 50%, when for less $$$ you can get a similar number of pages with the far FAR superior Absolute Top Ten or Solo Deluxe Edition.

I did end up getting Solo Deluxe Edition, absolute top ten was tempting as a blind buy but i own the first two trade paperbacks which make up the bulk of the issues collected. I started vol 1 and it's fun so far, but i don't think i will regret skipping the Absolute. I own the hardcovers of the material collected in Absolute Blackest Night....yet i still want it.

Sidebar: ^^^^^^^^^^^^ Black Hand!

Dysun

I liked Blackest Night alot, but at the time I was a huge Green Lantern/Johns fanboy and it was basically a power trip for me

Are the Marvel Essential Trades worth picking up if you want to read older stories? Does the lack of color get in the way of the enjoyment?
I found that after a few issues, I really didn't notice the lack of colour. When we're talking about issues from the 60s, the colouring was usually rudimentary (often incorrectly) and did not play as big a part in the total package as today's comics.

Try buying one and see how you feel at the end of it. You can't go wrong dollar to content wise with those collections.

I found that after a few issues, I really didn't notice the lack of colour. When we're talking about issues from the 60s, the colouring was usually rudimentary (often incorrectly) and did not play as big a part in the total package as today's comics.

Try buying one and see how you feel at the end of it. You can't go wrong dollar to content wise with those collections.

In my opinion the colors as rudimentary as they are are absolutely vital to the whole thing. The 60s color palette was as genre defining as the line art.

Imagine this without the color:
tumblr_ll26kw32mf1qdwahko1_1280.jpg

Then weep.

Owzers

is anyone buying Forever Evil but not the villains month issues? I am tempted to just read the event even though i'm not pre-ordering the other issues.

In my opinion the colors as rudimentary as they are are absolutely vital to the whole thing. The 60s color palette was as genre defining as the line art.

Imagine this without the color:
http://ilovemyles.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/tumblr_ll26kw32mf1qdwahko1_1280.jpg
Then weep.
Gah, I don't think my point came across as well as I'd intended. Firstly, colour does matter and makes a difference but it's reliance in today's comics - for embellishing the line art, special effects and sometimes wholesale painting in missing detail - was not present during the golden and silver age.

I can't deny that the colours in the Asgard picture certainly lift and add to the overall image, but the pencils, by their own right, tell all the story and detail that you need to know.

Today's colourists add so much more to the overall look and are woven into the very fundamental fabric of each page, unlike the comics of our past. While losing the colours from books during the golden and silver age is far from an ideal situation, I feel that the compromise made by losing them with the value proposition of the Essentials trades is acceptable.

Does Franklin Richards still have his reality warping powers? Is he still a mutant? I re-read Fraction's first issue after not read a FF comic in many years and realized Franklin could have saved the day easily. Whats the reason they're using to negate that silver bullet?

Thanks for the input. I'll give a Spider-Man essentials a shot and see how I like it.

Has anyone read Harlan Ellison's 7 Against Chaos? That hardcover came out this week and I kinda want to get it, but I'm not sure how good (or not) the story is.

kswiston

is anyone buying Forever Evil but not the villains month issues? I am tempted to just read the event even though i'm not pre-ordering the other issues.

I was going to just read the event. I might pick up a few of the villains month issues, but I was under the impression that they were basically one-shots. I haven't been following things all that closely though.

Does Franklin Richards still have his reality warping powers? Is he still a mutant? I re-read Fraction's first issue after not read a FF comic in many years and realized Franklin could have saved the day easily. Whats the reason they're using to negate that silver bullet?

He had his powers as of the start of Fraction's run. I haven't read Fraction's Fantastic Four beyond issue #1 though.

Thanks for the input. I'll give a Spider-Man essentials a shot and see how I like it.
The first handful of Amazing Essentials are... well, amazing. The strength of art and story will keep you chugging through them despite being in black & white. Have you read much of the early days of Spider-Man?

Im all caught up on my comics and trades. I officially read more than I watch TV these days. My dad of 10 years ago would have been so proud. Think I will go dabble in my wifes collection of Batgirl. Start at the beginning or start at a certain arc?

The first handful of Amazing Essentials are... well, amazing. The strength of art and story will keep you chugging through them despite being in black & white. Have you read much of the early days of Spider-Man?

The earliest I've read of Amazing Spider-man was the Birth of Venom trade, so I've have little experience with Stan Lee/Ditko era stuff besides word of mouth of what happened. I'm trying to rectify that.

akira28

I think they're setting up for him to do something big in that current Lost in Space arc. But hes basically got the power of god. So besides him being a kid god that you don't really want to use, they also probably avoid overusing him because story.

I think they're setting up for him to do something big in that current Lost in Space arc. But hes basically got the power of god. So besides him being a kid god that you don't really want to use, they also probably avoid overusing him because story.

Adult Franklin showed up in the previous volume of FF and yeah... he could pretty much do anything by that point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom