• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| July 2013. Celebrate liberty with the ultimate patriotic superhero.

Status
Not open for further replies.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
I want the next Avengers Arena trade to come out soon. I can't believe I liked it so much, especially since I don't know who any of the characters are.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
I want the next Avengers Arena trade to come out soon. I can't believe I liked it so much, especially since I don't know who any of the characters are.
Haha, I was the same way. Don't know anyone other than Chase and Nico. I like Cammi in this, but probably just because I like the art style and how she's drawn.

Joe Mad cover for "Inhuman #1"

LqU4RDU.jpg

Satch

Banned
i really go back and forth on joe mads art

sometimes i like his work and other times i dont, and its taken me a lot of time to decide if theres enough in his body of work to make me say overall that yeah, i dig his stuff

hes just really hit or miss for me

I think Joe Mad will do a fine job but a fill in artist is a certainty.

I hope they get Stefano Caselli, they both sort of have a similar style.

Marcos Martin would have been amazing for this project.

For me Joe Mad is one of the VERY FEW artists I have on autobuy. Lots of artists I enjoy, normally it comes down the characters and story whether I grab their books.

That said, that cover is not making me want that book.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
Haha, I was the same way. Don't know anyone other than Chase and Nico. I like Cammi in this, but probably just because I like the art style and how she's drawn.

Cammi is my favorite character so far. I need to go back and read Annihilation again because I don't even remember her in it.

i really go back and forth on joe mads art

sometimes i like his work and other times i dont, and its taken me a lot of time to decide if theres enough in his body of work to make me say overall that yeah, i dig his stuff

hes just really hit or miss for me

The majority of his work that I've seen has all been from the Darksiders games, so it's really hard to make a determination based on just that.

Joe Mad will be on the book for three issues tops. I doubt he returns.

Expected but I'm buying those issues for sure. The keep ratio for big artist announces is laughable. That's why my idea for Brit style runs with breaks makes even more sense than monthly, oh I'm sorry biweekly books. Ruining the industry for $$.

Expected but I'm buying those issues for sure. The keep ratio for big artist announces is laughable. That's why my idea for Brit style runs with breaks makes even more sense than monthly, oh I'm sorry biweekly books. Ruining the industry for $$.
Well and also a temporary fix would be to give these brahs more lead time. Like DC shouldve done with Jae Lee on Batman/Superman since the book doesnt tie in with anything.

kswiston

The majority of his work that I've seen has all been from the Darksiders games, so it's really hard to make a determination based on just that.

Joe Mad's work is very dynamic, and his action scenes were some of the best in the industry at his height in the 90s. His anatomy is very loose and exaggerated, but not nearly as bad as some like Humberto Ramos whose art I think goes for the same sort of feel. You can see Joe Mad's influence on artists like Francis Manapul.

Joe Mad's work is very dynamic, and his action scenes were some of the best in the industry at his height in the 90s. His anatomy is very loose and exaggerated, but not nearly as bad as some like Humberto Ramos whose art I think goes for the same sort of feel. You can see Joe Mad's influence on artists like Francis Manapul.

I'll assume "bad" is all relative here. I don't think loose anatomy = bad art. It's just a very stylistic approach.

Loxley

Humberto Ramos is possibly my favorite artist in the industry, aside from Skottie Young. I absolutely love their styles.

kswiston

Totally in love with both artists. I think Ramos draws with joy and that it shows.

I like Ramos on some things, and dislike him on others. I liked his Crimson series, and most of his Spider-man work. I think he is a lot better as a sequential artist than he is at a cover artist. That said, his characters are a lot more stylized than most.

EDIT: Re-reading it, my previous post comes off as more mean spirited than I intended. I actually prefer the more cartoony artists to the photorealistic ones.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I couldn't get down with Ramos for most of his stuff in ASM. I don't know why but I dig his work in Superior though.

I think it depends on the arc with Ramos. I liked him on the opening arc of Big Time and the bit he did of Spider-Island. That said I didn't like him in issue 700. He does well with big fight scenes or stuff with lots of movement, at least for me. I think that's why you liked him in Superior, his arc had a lot of movement if I remember right.

I think they're setting up for him to do something big in that current Lost in Space arc. But hes basically got the power of god. So besides him being a kid god that you don't really want to use, they also probably avoid overusing him because story.

so he can use his powers sometimes?

Acid08

Banned
I think it depends on the arc with Ramos. I liked him on the opening arc of Big Time and the bit he did of Spider-Island. That said I didn't like him in issue 700. He does well with big fight scenes or stuff with lots of movement, at least for me. I think that's why you liked him in Superior, his arc had a lot of movement if I remember right.
Yeah, that's definitely true. I still am not a huge fan of his human faces. His Cap always tends to bug me too.

Owzers

Just picked Buffy season 8 and I'm really enjoying it. First comic in a long while were I read 10 issues in a day.

The first half is the best half, i ended up buying vol 1 and 2 of the deluxe hardcovers despite not really having an interest in owning the last two. It's still worth a read though and you'll probably/possibly/probably like it unless you tend to dislike stuff.

I managed to read a random comic out of my large stack of stuff: the Eternity one-shot by Jeff Lemire for the quickly dead national comics dc line. It was okay, shame nothing is going to come from it.

Its Sunday...my list.

Starwars Darth Vader and the 9th Assassin #4
Batman Catwoman #22
JLA #6
Ultimate Spidey #25
X-Files 10 #2
Revival #12

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
So the new writer for Batman Beyond took over today. It was just the first part of the Batgirl Beyond 3-parter so no idea if he'll be any good though. It looks like he's going to be building off the last Beyond arc's themes though:
inequality in Neo Gotham and the plight of the poor

3 questions:

- Is the Young Avengers everyone is raving about the old 2006 one by Cheung and Heinberg or the new 2013 one by Gillen and McKelvie?

- This Deadpool Omnibus HC, is it a good pickup for someone NOT familiar with the character at all?

- Should i pick up "the Definitive Silver Surfer" Marvel Platinum as a good character intro or is there better out there that is easy to find?

I couldn't get down with Ramos for most of his stuff in ASM. I don't know why but I dig his work in Superior though.

I really like his Superior work too! I think he keeps improving with each series he's been put on. Slott doing these short arcs actually work to his advantage by making SSM feel fresh every time there's an artist change.

3 questions:

- Is the Young Avengers everyone is raving about the old 2006 one by Cheung and Heinberg or the new 2013 one by Gillen and McKelvie?

- This Deadpool Omnibus HC, is it a good pickup for someone NOT familiar with the character at all?

- Should i pick up "the Definitive Silver Surfer" Marvel Platinum as a good character intro or is there better out there that is easy to find?

A thousand times yes I wish I had waited and not bought the first three classic volumes of Kelly's run.

8bit

Knows the Score
3 questions:

They're both good. The early one peters out a bit eventually, but the new one is good albeit in a different way.

Aww yeah, list time.

100 Bullets: Brother Lono #2
Batwoman #22
Wonder Woman #22
Elephantmen #50
Invincible #104
Prophet #37
All-New X-Men #14
Nova #6
Powers: Bureau #6
Scarlet #7
Uncanny X-Force #8

The Adventures of Dr. McNinja Omnibus(relax, just $20 bucks!)
Dream Thief #3
Prophet #37
Deadpool #13(the '70s thing appeals to me, fuck it)
Iron Man #13
Savage Wolverine #7
Thor God Of Thunder #10

Ephidel

Lists!
Aphrodite IX #3
Avengers #16
Avengers Assemble #17
Conan the Barbarian #18
He-Man and the Masters of the Universe #4
Legion of Super-Heroes #22
Numbercruncher #1
X-Factor #259

I'll also be picking up 2000AD Prog.1841 :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom