• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| July 2013. Celebrate liberty with the ultimate patriotic superhero.

Status
Not open for further replies.
All New X-Men #14
Avengers #16
Deadpool #13
Fantastic Four #10
FF #9
Thanos Rising #4
Thor: God of Thunder #10
Batman '66 #1
Green Lantern New Guardians #22
Justice League of America #6

kswiston

Lists:

Justice League of America #6
All-New X-Men #14
Avengers #16
Cable and X-Force #11
FF #9
Iron Man #13 (dropping this again after the secret origin story arc)
Thor God of Thunder #10
Uncanny X-Force #8

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
I know it makes no sense, but I have a really bad feeling.

With that said, I am not a big fan of him losing his powers. Again.

I don't like how he lost them in such a bland and otherwise unremarkable story.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Monday morning list time!

All-New X-Men #14
Avengers #16
Batman and Robin #22
Batwoman #22
Deadpool #13
Fantastic Four #10
FF #9
Iron Man #13
Savage Wolverine #7
Ultimate Comics Spider-Man #25
Wonder Woman #22

Ephidel

Oh man. Aphrodite IX exists again?

Flashback to the time of my sexual awakening.

It does! (Although I never read the original). It started again on FCBD, so the first issue is free on comixology. Seems pretty good so far, and has art from Stjepan Sejic :)
prv15305_pg3.jpg

sol_bad

Listy list!!!

All New X-Men #14
Avengers #16
Cable And X-Force #11
Deadpool #13
FF #9
Iron Man #13
Nova #6
Thanos Rising #4 (of 5)
Thor God Of Thunder #10
Uncanny X-Force #8

Animal Man #22
Justice League Of America #6

Revival #12

LIST!

Marvel:
A+X #10
All-New X-Men #14
Avengers Assemble #17
Deadpool #13 (this is the 70s issue, right?)
Savage Wolverine #7
What If? Avengers vs. X-Men #2 of 4
X-Factor #259

DC Comics:
Batman and Catwoman #22
Justice League of America #6 (Trinity War)
Wonder Woman #22

Indies:
Red Sonja #1 (Dynamite)
The Shadow: Year One #4 of 10 (Dynamite)
Invincible #104 (Image)
Quantum and Woody #1 (Valiant, forgot this last week)

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
What is this inhumans thing?

How are they different from mutants?

As far as I know, while mutations are completely random in terms of what power that you get the Terrigen mists' effects are a reflection of the personality of the person exposed to it. Also the Inhumans have a caste system. Sometimes the person will devolve into something called an Alpha Primitive, and will be used as a slave afterwards.

kswiston

No functional differences. Mutants are born, Inhumans are exposed to a mist at birth that gives them powers

They are usually exposed to the mists at adolescence if I remember correctly.

So are they different from the metahumans like Spider-man and Hulk?

To be honest this sounds like another awful Marvel event.

Thanos will be attacking earth in Infinity. Half of the Avengers are off world dealing with a different threat. I'm guessing that this even happens as a last ditch effort to defend the planet.

I think the development has potential. The Inhumans have always been an isolated society. Blackbolt is their king, and they typically do what he commands. Now there will be over 1M inhumans who have no connection to Attilan and its regency. Fraction can explore that.

So are they different from the metahumans like Spider-man and Hulk?

To be honest this sounds like another awful Marvel event.

Yeah, nothing will spoil the Marvel Universe like more superpowered weirdoes signing up for another Deathlok guest lecture at Jean Grey Academy.

lofllllll

Batman and Catwoman #22
Batwoman #22
JLA #6
Legion of Superheroes #22
Supergirl #22
All New X-men #14
Avengers #16
Fantastic Four #10
FF #9
Savage Wolverine #7
X-Factor #259

yeah

sorta want that Red Sonja

snorggy

Wolverine Origins as Marvel Mondays sale on Comixology. Is the series any good? I'm kind of in the mood for a good wolvie solo read.

Acid08

Banned
What the hell is Red Sonja? I'm curious because Simone is writing it but I know nothing about her besides the covers I see at my LCS. I like the Staples and Connor covers for the new series too.

What the hell is Red Sonja? I'm curious because Simone is writing it but I know nothing about her besides the covers I see at my LCS. I like the Staples and Connor covers for the new series too.

Female Conan to be simple

Basically this. She is more or less the archetype for the female Barbarian. She was granted her skills and powers by a Goddess after her family was killed and she was violated. She also can't get her bang on with a guy without losing her skills/powers unless he can best her in combat.

Well that sounds pretty cool. Is it really as hyper-sexual as the covers make it seem?

Usually.

Lists!

Batman and Catwoman 22
Batman Beyond Unlimited 18
Batwoman 22
Green Lantern New Guardians 22
Justlice League of America 6
Supergirl 22
Wonder Woman 22
Vibe 6

kswiston

So apparently digital comic sales went from $25M in 2011 to $70M in 2012. Total print sales last year were $680M. I'm pretty sure both DC and Marvel went day-1 digital at the end of 2011, so that probably explains some of the growth, but this is still encouraging. If the digital market continues to grow at a rapid pace, smaller publishers will be able to finally throw off the Diamond distribution yoke.

So apparently digital comic sales went from $25M in 2011 to $70M in 2012. Total print sales last year were $680M. I'm pretty sure both DC and Marvel went day-1 digital at the end of 2011, so that probably explains some of the growth, but this is still encouraging. If the digital market continues to grow at a rapid pace, smaller publishers will be able to finally throw off the Diamond distribution yoke.

Honestly the best part of the digital sales has been the fact that it doesn't seem to be cannibalizing the print sales. They are basically two separate markets.

kswiston

Honestly the best part of the digital sales has been the fact that it doesn't seem to be cannibalizing the print sales. They are basically two separate markets.

Comics lost a significant market when they largely pulled out of grocery and convenience stores (that's how I got started). I would imagine that digital comics is re-tapping into that audience. A lot of people are interested in comics but have no interest in seeking out and visiting a specialty store. Those that do like their stores and the store community.

Comics lost a significant market when they largely pulled out of grocery and convenience stores (that's how I got started). I would imagine that digital comics is re-tapping into that audience. A lot of people are interested in comics but have no interest in seeking out and visiting a specialty store. Those that do like their stores and the store community.

<--- best of both worlds here, i order printed ones from amazon ;)

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Basically this. She is more or less the archetype for the female Barbarian. She was granted her skills and powers by a Goddess after her family was killed and she was violated. She also can't get her bang on with a guy without losing her skills/powers unless he can best her in combat.

I don't get why this is still the character's MO. Unless I missed something, during the original series,
Sonja dies after defeating Kulan Gath and is reincarnated with a slightly different origin. Then she ends up taking on the goddess that empowered her and is no longer affiliated with her.

And for anyone who read that spoiler and is wondering what the point of her
dying and coming back was
, there really isn't one.
The time skip like 20 years and nothing has changed, Sonja looks exactly the same, and she even finds the same half-naked chainmail and puts it right back on.

I don't get why this is still the character's MO. Unless I missed something, during the original series,
Sonja dies after defeating Kulan Gath and is reincarnated with a slightly different origin. Then she ends up taking on the goddess that empowered her and is no longer affiliated with her.

It may not be. That's just what I remembered from old stuff. I'm going into this new series relatively "new".

Tenck

Is there any incentive to buying physical over digital? I see lots of subscriptions that are ridiculous cheap and that's probably going to pull me in.

Is there any incentive to buying physical over digital? I see lots of subscriptions that are ridiculous cheap and that's probably going to pull me in.

Generally cheaper (pull list discount), your own the comic rather than a license to read it, ability to resell it. Those are the main things.

Acid08

Banned
I'm still way into having physical goods, especially when it comes to books or comics.

Tenck

I'm seeing a little bit on the bottom that says "Bonus: Digital Edition" on some Marvel ones. You also get a digital edition with a physical? I take it you'd have to redeem it on Marvel's website though, which is ridiculously awful when it comes to digital comics.

Parch

Well that sounds pretty cool. Is it really as hyper-sexual as the covers make it seem?
That type of comic seems to be doing pretty good. Pretty much the entire line of Zenescope comics does booby good. Dynamite and their Dejah Thoris pasties armor makes me go wow.

Parch

Seems like there have been a lot of comic book stores go out of business in the last decade. Not sure how much of that can be blamed on digital, but it has to be a factor.

I'm seeing a little bit on the bottom that says "Bonus: Digital Edition" on some Marvel ones. You also get a digital edition with a physical? I take it you'd have to redeem it on Marvel's website though, which is ridiculously awful when it comes to digital comics.

You turn in the code on Marvel's site and it's available in Comixology and the Marvel app. I don't understand what "ridiculously awful when it comes to digital comics" refers to in this context. It is amazingly simple and rad.

As far as buying physical over digital, I do it to support my local shop, as everyone should. This is why Marvel's way is the best way. I buy them at my LCS, redeem the code (they even let you specify which shop you bought it at when you redeem the code, netting my LCS even more bonuses), and then donate the book or give it to a friend or generally, blessedly, get it the hell out of my house.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom