• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| July 2013. Celebrate liberty with the ultimate patriotic superhero.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seems like there have been a lot of comic book stores go out of business in the last decade. Not sure how much of that can be blamed on digital, but it has to be a factor.

Digital has only started getting big in the last year or so and comic stores are typically badly managed, badly run, badly thought-out, badly everything. Amazon/online is the more likely culprit for a lot of the damage.
Is there any incentive to buying physical over digital?
The main incentive IMO is that there isn't a tablet that has dimensions large enough to show a standard comic at full size. I think a ~11" 16:9 screen is where you get the best fit and it drives me nuts seeing more tablets drift towards 9".

The main incentive IMO is that there isn't a tablet that has dimensions large enough to show a standard comic at full size. I think a ~11" 16:9 screen is where you get the best fit and it drives me nuts seeing more tablets drift towards 9".

Comixology's new Fit To Width does a phenomenal job of addressing this. Even on my iPad 1 it's basically like having every comic on the app in an oversized hardcover.

Tenck

You turn in the code on Marvel's site and it's available in Comixology and the Marvel app. I don't understand what "ridiculously awful when it comes to digital comics" refers to in this context. It is amazingly simple and rad.

As far as buying physical over digital, I do it to support my local shop, as everyone should. This is why Marvel's way is the best way. I buy them at my LCS, redeem the code (they even let you specify which shop you bought it at when you redeem the code, netting my LCS even more bonuses), and then donate the book or give it to a friend or generally, blessedly, get it the hell out of my house.

Marvel's site is atrocious when it comes to reading comics online. It's very slow, and their guided view is so bad that sometimes the text from characters is gone. Wish I still had my screenshots that I sent them so I could show you.

Owzers

Comixology's new Fit To Width does a phenomenal job of addressing this. Even on my iPad 1 it's basically like having every comic on the app in an oversized hardcover.

How dare you demean oversized hardcovers like that.

^^^ you don't read the comics on marvel's site, you just redeem the codes there. Then you can read in the marvel app and link your comixology account to your marvel account and read it there too.

List

Artifacts #29 (Image. A goth/punk woman practicing magic math? Ok, Artifacts, let's see how you do.)
Batman 66 #1 (DC. I read this first on Comixology but I'm gonna follow it in floppies)
Farlaine The Goblin (Studio Farlaine. As if any of my LCSs will have it- fingers crossed)
Red Sonja #1 (Dynamite. I read the 12 page preview on CBR, which I wanted to link here but-issues- anyway, the preview sold me)
Revival #12 (first week picking this up)

I was gonna board the ANXM crazy train but I picked up #13 over the weekend and it seemed poopy to me. Bobby is written to be even stupider than usual. It was just one issue, I know, but it did nothing for me.

Thinking of picking up Scarlet #7. Can anyone give me feedback on this series? I read the preview for #7 and wasn't sure what to make of it. Freezasaureus, what say you?

This week's collection temptations brought to you by Eldrich (Slave Labor Graphics!), Walrus (Brandon Graham!) and Black Orchid.

Wool

I just responded. I wont let you guys down.

Inhuman is the most important book in Matt Fractions life. There is potentially alot of money behind this concept. I believe it will change the Marvel U forever.

What about Satellite Sam? #1 was legendary.
dildos everywhere

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Comics lost a significant market when they largely pulled out of grocery and convenience stores (that's how I got started). I would imagine that digital comics is re-tapping into that audience. A lot of people are interested in comics but have no interest in seeking out and visiting a specialty store. Those that do like their stores and the store community.

Convenience stores are just dropping print in general. I was in the one I shopped in as a kid yesterday and the entire print section was smaller than just the Marvel section was in the '80s.

Thinking of picking up Scarlet #7. Can anyone give me feedback on this series? I read the preview for #7 and wasn't sure what to make of it. Freezasaurus, what say you?

Scarlet? Looooooooove it. It comes out pretty infrequently, but I always snap it up whenever it does. It's another Bendis/Maleev title, so it's worth picking up for that alone. If you haven't already, you should pick up the hardcover and issue #6, because it's very much a continuing story.

Reader's digest, she's a teenager whose boyfriend is murdered by a corrupt cop, so she in turn murders him and sparks an uprising of sorts against the police. It's a story Bendis started putting out around the time that the whole Occupy movement grew legs, so after the first trade came out, he took a lengthy break from it, as some of the themes hit a bit close to current events at the time.

One of my favorite comics. It just hardly ever comes out.

How fun is Batman 66? That is a fun book, man. We need more playful, silly, colourful stories. Grit and shadows is fine and good, but it's refreshing to read a light-hearted romp.

Acid08

Banned
How fun is Batman 66? That is a fun book, man. We need more playful, silly, colourful stories. Grit and shadows is fine and good, but it's refreshing to read a light-hearted romp.
I'll have to check it out. It's especially nice to see DC doing something like that. Feel like they're the biggest proprietors of the dark and brooding.

The book Damian died in was fucking fun as shit. Let's just admit that with Damian dying that DC lost one of the most fun characters ever. We needs a Blue Beetle/Damian/Booster team up.

Dysun

List wars

Batman and [Catwoman] 22
Green Lantern New Guardians 22
JLA 6

All New X-Men 14
Cable and X-Force 11 (Almost done with this book)
Avengers 16
Uncanny X-Force 8 (A little bit more leeway than Cable for now, but meh)
Thor 10

ReiGun

I don't know. I think DC has fun books and even the more serious ones have fun moments. I've had fun reading Batman Inc, the Green Team, Vibe, and Supergirl lately,for example. I even have fun laughing at some of Azz's dopey puns in Wonder Woman. I think it's just a different kind of fun from Marvel.

You're not going to find anything like Superior Foes of Spider-Man or Hawkguy at DC right now, but there is some levity in the books.

Speaking of Azz's Wonder Woman, I'm listening to an interview with him now where he says that the reason he took Wonder Woman despite not originally wanting to do it is because he heard DC's original ideas for her in the New 52 and thought they were horrifying. Considering how controversial his run ended up being, I can only imagine how DC's original take would have been received if they had gotten their way.

I'm actually surprised how much pull Azzarello has had with the book. And by "pull", I mean the ability to keep Superman and the rest of the DCU (save the New Gods) completely out of it. For better or worse, they're letting him do what he wants with the book.

Also, he says the story is planned for 3 years, so it should be done come next September. Whether not he'll stay on the book reminds to be seen obviously.

Seriously considering dropping floppies and just moving to trades all the time. I feel like i'm tied to having to go to the comic book store every week to spend all my money, and god damn comics ain't cheap for someone like me. Plus my backlog is still huge as hell.

unrelated note, that Red Sonja Legends (whatever it's called) book looks intriguing, i'll give it a look. Same with the new RS Simone book.

I don't know. I think DC has fun books and even the more serious ones have fun moments. I've had fun reading Batman Inc, the Green Team, Vibe, and Supergirl lately,for example. I even have fun laughing at some of Azz's dopey puns in Wonder Woman. I think it's just a different kind of fun from Marvel.

You're not going to find anything like Superior Foes of Spider-Man or Hawkguy at DC right now, but there is some levity in the books.

There are some, but they're more exception rather than rule. They seem to publish more books that try to be overly dark (in a bad way), more than fun books. Not to say all Dark DC is bad though. "Dark" might be the wrong term, maybe "faux-extreme" is more apt

Speaking of Azz's Wonder Woman...

In Teen Titans #19 it suggested that Cassie is the daughter of Wonder Woman’s brother Lennox. That would make Wonder Woman her aunt and Zeus now her grandfather instead of father.

Azzarello confirms it the interview but adds that the character will not be appearing in Wonder Woman. In fact, you can probably expect that not too many characters from outside the world he’s built in his controversial run to appear. That includes Wonder Woman’s current love interest Superman.

When asked if the Wonder Woman/Superman romance will be part of the book, Azzarello says “not at all." Adding “Superman already appears in enough books; he doesn’t need to be in Wonder Woman."

Not that this response is remotely surprising, but this interview is actually the first time I've seen Azzarello asked about the Superman/WW romance, so it's at least worth noting.

This may not be the right place to post this but I'll give it a shot.

I have a bunch of Marvel Now digital codes that I'm looking to swap. I really am looking for an ongoing swap partner so we can trade codes each month. I'm subbed to Avengers, New Avengers, Guardians of the Galaxy, Nova, and Iron Man. I really want to find someone who has Uncanny X-Men and All New X-Men that we can swap ongoing. PM me if you're interested. Again sorry if this is not the place to post this.

I tried reddit.com/r/comiccodes but haven't gotten anything really.

Owzers

Seriously considering dropping floppies and just moving to trades all the time. I feel like i'm tied to having to go to the comic book store every week to spend all my money, and god damn comics ain't cheap for someone like me. Plus my backlog is still huge as hell.

have you considered pre-ordering through dcbservice.com? 40% off most books, some 50% off special and on most dc and marvel trades, $7 per shipment each month ( you can have it shipped twice a month or weekly), and they pack your comics very well.

Savitar

Blame the Arkham game series. Which is a shame, because art design was not a strong point in those titles.

Funny tidbit, the version you saw in Arkham is actually what Dini wanted to do originally but he was told to tone it down some, what you saw in game is kinda what he originally envisioned.

Taking a wait and see approach. Jimmy and Amanda writing together is a win-win, but it's still New52 Harley in that awful Suicide Girl getup, we don't know who the artist will be, and it's probably going to get bogged down with Bat-crossovers, Suicide Squad team-ups and whatnot. Wait and see.

ElNarez

Banned
Amanda Conner managed to spin gold out of that shit straw Before Watchmen, and how does her getup matter in any way ? This is crazy-talk. Y'all are crazy.

Comix Suggestions:

Stuff by Robinson
Stuff by Kindt
What I've read of Alec by Campbell is ok but it really didn't speak to me and the art wasn't doing it any favors.
Moving Pictures by Immonen was surprisingly mediocre
The Alan Moore stuff is all pretty great - LOEG Century works far better read as a whole and Nemo was pretty excellent with the Antarctic horror. I thought Lost Girls was pretty uninteresting, though.
Troll King is supposed to be good.
Lemire stuff is good.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Can I get some recommendations for overlooked TPBs or story arcs that a lot of people don't usually champion but you really enjoyed? Looking for DC ones mainly. Really enjoy SPACE too, but it doesn't matter. I'm down with any good arc. Only one restriction - no Batman. SO burned out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom