• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| July 2013. Celebrate liberty with the ultimate patriotic superhero.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had the exact opposite impression. Bendis USM filler is amazing for me. He does it anywhere else and I hate it, but for some reasons it works amazing in USM. The Miles/kate talk was great and that layout by Marquez was amazing.

While I dont think its amazing, I didny say its bad either. People will goto comic shops and ask about the death of Gwen Stacy and what issues that was, people will ask for first appearances of characters, etc, etc. I dont see people 20 years from now going "hey I want to read how pre teen Miles struggled becoming of age and figuring out how to handle his power." Its an arc thats been done to death and understand every superhero has to go through but doesnt make for memorable reading. Its good, not amazing.

Not sure if it was posted yet, but Mahmud Asrar is off Supergirl, which is too bad, as his art was really good on that book. He didn't leave due to creative differences or editorial, either!

Splatt

Deadpool #13 is off da chain!

4PK0ubz.jpg

ElNarez

Banned
So Xfactor. I would spoiler tag it, but that would require me knowing what the hell happened

Shatterstar and Rictor happened. Of course it was gonna be absurdly convoluted.

SPEAKING OF: Uncanny X-Force is finally done with the lame bullshit "regular X-Men adventures but with hella cursing" it had been for a lot of the Spiral arc, and now it's the weirdest fucking version of the soap opera bits of an X-Men adventure, except holy shit I do not have any idea why now Betsy wants to
kill Fantomex, here meaning not Girl Fantomex (that's Cluster) or Black Fantomex (that's Weapon XIII) but regular Vanilla Fantomex.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
Small week for me. Just Thor: God of Thunder. I also picked up what issues my LCS had of Avengers Arena. I can't wait for the back issues to come in so I can catch up.

tm24

Shatterstar and Rictor happened. Of course it was gonna be absurdly convoluted.

SPEAKING OF: Uncanny X-Force is finally done with the lame bullshit "regular X-Men adventures but with hella cursing" it had been for a lot of the Spiral arc, and now it's the weirdest fucking version of the soap opera bits of an X-Men adventure, except holy shit I do not have any idea why now Betsy wants to
kill Fantomex, here meaning not Girl Fantomex (that's Cluster) or Black Fantomex (that's Weapon XIII) but regular Vanilla Fantomex.

The way i read it

Fantomex set her up at the Louvre, caused her to kill someone, all part of his little game of stealing from her and just generally being a dick

Also, someone should really dig up the posts from the month where Avengers Arena was announced. Just for fun. I might do it later

sca2511

Been trade waiting the comics I like from the big two. Might be going to the LCS today and would like to get a few singles, preferably not from the big two, any recommendations?

kswiston

The way i read it

Fantomex set her up at the Louvre, caused her to kill someone, all part of his little game of stealing from her and just generally being a dick

Also, someone should really dig up the posts from the month where Avengers Arena was announced. Just for fun. I might do it later

I'm bored enough to waste 10 mins doing this:

More more MORE!!

ROCKETING TO MY NUMBER ONE ON THE HYPE LIST!!

KKKEEEVVVVWWWAAALLLLKKKKEEERRRRR

Looks interesting, I'll give it a try.

Marvel's Hunger Games. Great. Just wish they'd leave the poor Runaways alone.

I... Hmmm... I don't know how I feel about this...

mettle and laura on a murder island seems cheating.

it seems more battle royale than hunger games if the cover is telling

Oh great, another venue for Marvel to brutally slaughter female teenage girl super heroes. I don't even know why there are men there when it is obvious that all the girls are going to die and then they'll just cancel the issue.

Also, the cover is much more Battle Royale then Hunger Games.

Retroactively amazed that, in an era that has welcomed the Saw and Hunger Games franchises, it took this long to reinvent Arcade.

I might have to look this one up out of pure curiosity.

yeesh getting grim and cynical in heuh

i don't think hopeless has that fridge-gal-killin-watchtower-rapin DC vibe, from the stuff of his i've read

Call me back when the Mojoverse book comes out

How the fuck is Avengers Arena gonna be an ongoing? I mean, provided people actually start killing one another, and some probably will because otherwise what's the fucking point, there's a limited supply of people to murder. Is it one of those "it's gonna sell around 10k copies and get cancelled after 8 issues" dealios? How is this not a miniseries? Also, why are you trying to play the Battle Royale card when Battle Royale is hyperviolent and bleak as shit? I thought maybe we'd try to break away from that since it's pretty much every other comic.

This announcement is weird as shit is what I'm saying.

There's a part of me that feels like I shouldn't be into this cause it's so clearly cashing in on the Hunger Games craze, but damn it....

There day #1.

Centering the book around killing off C-list characters is... unappealing. Hopeless at least seems to be aware of that being problematic, so I'm at least willing to give it the benefit of the doubt.

Eugh, I don't know how I feel about that. I liked the movie and the book (the manga not so much), but I think I had enough of Battle Royale with, well, Battle Royale.
Young heroes dying doesn't interest me, especially not in a series that looks to be designed around it, and if they don't then this is false advertising. As much as I love the Avengers Academy cast, I don't know that I want to read this.
And yet I have a suspicion I will :|

Avengers Arena could be decent, but the reason why new characters from the Runaways, New X-men, Young Avengers, Avengers Academy, etc never make the big leagues is that Marvel constantly uses them as cannon fodder is series such as this one. I can't help but think that most of the Giant Sized X-Men would have been killed off within 5 years if they were created today.

This series is going to produce the same sort of hate that Beyond got for killing Gravity.

The concept sounds cool, but what sucks about it is that it's gonna be decimating characters with a lot of potential to be built up to major players in the future rather than rely on Spider-Man, Wolverine, Avengers etc, Runaways for instance could have been a lot bigger than it is now. Not a lot of chances are taken beyond what's proven to sell.

It's a shame they tend to kill of new characters rather than let them flourish like they did with the New X-Men kids after House of M.

I really, really dislike the premise of Avengers Arena. Hopefully, this isn't the series that the Wiccan/Loki/Miss America story in Point One is teasing.

I want that series. But they can't kill these brahs. Reptil should be huge and have his own ongoing. Runaways should be fuking Avenegers already. Anyone read season one books?

Avengers Arena looks fantastic and a lot of fun.

Don't really care for the "kids fighting to the death to survive" stories anymore (went back and reread my BR manga recently, couldn't stand it); but X-23's involvement means I pretty much have to see this, out of genuine fear that something bad's gonna happen to Laura. Especially if Hopeless has been following her character development at all and recognizes her penchant for self-sacrifice to save others.

Damn you, Marvel!

Avengers Royale, gimme a break, Marvel. Way to take what could have been a dumb but maybe fun Avengers Academy arc and stretch it into an ongoing.

Avengers Arena sounds like a terrible idea. Hopeless can write some good stuff but this shit is stupid.

Whoever came up with the idea for Avengers Arena needs to get beat.

Dumb ass idea.

I agree so hard it hurts. A) It's always terrible when comics try to cover a hot trend long after its time in the sun has already past and B) Oh, look. It's another "let's kill off a bunch of newer characters" event. They haven't done that in, like, months.

I mean not only that it is a obvious cash in on Hunger Games. But the reason why HG and Battle Royal was successful was due to the fact they were a self contained story. The MU characters are not.

Ridiculous. No way I can buy this in a 616 setting.

I'm only pissed off that they're using 2 of the popular Runaways in a fucking snuff comic when they need to instead have a new Runaways book.

Come on brah, Axel said they were waiting for the right story to use the Runaways. This is it.

Been trade waiting the comics I like from the big two. Might be going to the LCS today and would like to get a few singles, preferably not from the big two, any recommendations?
Lazarus by Rucka and Lark is one issue in and was pretty good.

Also, if you like Japanese history there was a pretty good mini of the story of the 47 Ronin written by Mike Richardson and illustrated by Stan Sakai.

I'm bored enough to waste 10 mins doing this:

Find mine. I still stand by the fact that he cannot write the characters according to their established personalities. He doesn't even attempt it.

Nico Minoru's issues showed me that it's still unfortunately true, but the narrative here says its G.O.A.T. which I guess I fine for you.

I love the fake romance novel cover for October's issue of Saga, especially considering how these two hooked up over some cheesy romance novel in prison

SAGA-15.jpg

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Not ashamed of what I posted there. Liked the concept but feared it could be a random kill fest and thankfully it isn't. Great book so far and it's respectful of the characters and their backgrounds. Hell it's a stealth Runaways book even.

These bad editors are really ruining the Superman and Young Justice families. Not gonna miss Justin Jordan though, his company work has been pretty plain. Will drop Superboy though. The editors are just getting in the way of interesting things happening with the characters. Teen Titans has gone absolutely nowhere since the begining. Except Bunker, brah could be a breakout character.

Joe Mad should draw wolverine all the time. Zeb wells needs to write more stuff

all new x-men:
this should be an avengers bookw ith how frequntly they show up

Oh shit, Vibe is pretty good.
So glad he is getting love. Thanks to all those who are reading it.

Anyone else disappointed in Bendis new mutants? Boring personalities and uninteresting abilities. Things will get even more convoluted when new Inhumans start popping up.

FYC

Banned
I hate being a burden once again, but I need some DC recommendations for Comixology. At this point the only comic I've read is Thor: The Mighty Avenger and I've started Watchmen.

Uh...There's probably a looooot of good DC stuff on there, I imagine, but I have no idea where to start. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

ReiGun

I hate being a burden once again, but I need some DC recommendations for Comixology. At this point the only comic I've read is Thor: The Mighty Avenger and I've started Watchmen.

Uh...There's probably a looooot of good DC stuff on there, I imagine, but I have no idea where to start. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

Any particular genres or characters you are interested in?

Read a couple good 'uns today. Day Men #1 was pretty. I will keep buying it, at least for a while, if only to enjoy the way Stelfreeze draws hands. That man draws a good hand.

And Red Sonja #1 was super fun. Firmly strapped in for this series.

I promised myself when I got into to comics that I wouldn't get into the figures, but they packed in a DC Collectibles booklet with my comics and damn if some of that stuff doesn't look awesome. Especially the black and white Capullo Joker :O.

And comic store forgot to pull Vibe for me. NO!

What's in the digital version of Red Sonja thats different? Maybe I should have waited and got that one. I wanted the Amanda Connor or Nicola Scott cover but they were gone so I got a Fiona Staples one.

What's in the digital version of Red Sonja thats different? Maybe I should have waited and got that one. I wanted the Amanda Connor or Nicola Scott cover but they were gone so I got a Fiona Staples one.

I didn't take my time and ended up grabbing the Colleen Doran one. I wish I had the Fiona Staples.

Speaking of variants, I got a Batman 66 #1 variant that has the Joker, as well as other characters on the cover. Couldn't resist.

Veelk

Banned
Can anyone help me out here? I'm trying to look at the No Man's Land arc and it's....huge. Like holy fuck.

http://dc.wikia.com/wiki/Batman:_No_Man's_Land

According to this, NML and Road to NML is over 100 issues together....in addition to the lead up to the two (why is there a lead up to the lead up?) with the Cataclysm and some others.

Was this like the hugest cross over event ever or something? Do I really have to read ALL of these to get the storyline? All I really know is the premise (gotham gets fucked by an earthquake), but if the story is bad, I don't want to have to invest that much time into it.

Is that supposed to be Young Diana from WW 0? I wish they made one in that art style. Just cant justify spending 100 plus for a figure. Thats a weeks worth of comcis right there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom