• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| July 2013. Celebrate liberty with the ultimate patriotic superhero.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have never bought a statue in my life, but so help me, I want this:

221607_10152984218520184_202983292_n.jpg

They really need to use this design for a Wonder Woman or justice league animated series

Can anyone help me out here? I'm trying to look at the No Man's Land arc and it's....huge. Like holy fuck.

http://dc.wikia.com/wiki/Batman:_No_Man's_Land

According to this, NML and Road to NML is over 100 issues together....in addition to the lead up to the two (why is there a lead up to the lead up?) with the Cataclysm and some others.

Was this like the hugest cross over event ever or something? Do I really have to read ALL of these to get the storyline? All I really know is the premise (gotham gets fucked by an earthquake), but if the story is bad, I don't want to have to invest that much time into it.

I would actually advise skipping all of it and just reading Greg Rucka's novelization if you can find it.

8bit

Knows the Score
And that looked an awful lot like
Krakkl
leading the charge. No lie, Vibe might be my favorite book DC is publishing right now.

IIRC
Krakkl
was in the prison in the first issue. I gave up on this as I'm generally bored of DC's output but I think I'll pick it back up.

Can anyone help me out here? I'm trying to look at the No Man's Land arc and it's....huge. Like holy fuck.

According to this, NML and Road to NML is over 100 issues together....in addition to the lead up to the two (why is there a lead up to the lead up?) with the Cataclysm and some others.

Was this like the hugest cross over event ever or something? Do I really have to read ALL of these to get the storyline? All I really know is the premise (gotham gets fucked by an earthquake), but if the story is bad, I don't want to have to invest that much time into it.

It lasted a year and went through most of the Batbooks.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned

I would actually advise skipping all of it and just reading Greg Rucka's novelization if you can find it.

No, the comics themselves are pretty special IMO, read them. Let me brek it down a little bit: skip everything except No Man's Land proper. This is about 50-odd issues, since it was pretty much a weekly series across all Batman titles for a year. Both Cataclysm (earthquake in Gotham! Ventriloquist tries to say he did it! But he didn't! yawn) and the road to NML (awful Azrael stuff where he's fighting an evil rock star called Nick Scratch who for some reason has something to gain by closing gotham) are bad comics. But NML itself is brilliant.

First arc has early Alex Maleev art, and the series also serves as Greg Rucka's intro to DC, and starts off his Montoya arc that he ran with for years. It was very bold storytelling, especially back in the day. Writers and artists would trade off in short but interconnected arcs, two to four issues long and DC bought in lots of indie talent and new writers and the whole thing was very well executed. IMO I'd say it was probably the most successful crossover from an artistic and storytelling standpoint that I can remember. Editing it must have been a real bitch!

It's a really good story that also has great hooks into Greg Rucka's later work - you can go right from this into Gotham Central and his Detective run and have a great time.

I read the novelization by Greg Rucka and it was great. I can definitely recommend the novelization.

Owzers

Depending on price I might get that Wonder Woman statue....it would have to be below 100 after dcbs discount though, some of those statue lines cost a ton.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Guys, Pat Gleason is absolutely demolishing it on Batman & Co. I think he's my favorite artist at DC right now.

VoxFl2r.png

Veelk

Banned
Thank you for the replies. I was thinking about the novelization and it definitely benefits from having a single voice telling the story as opposed to several (which is the worst part of crossovers imo), but I still want to read it in comic form because...well, it's comics. And it was the way it was originally intended to be read, which I think is an important part. I'll probably read the novel sometime later. Nice to hear that NML doesn't suck atleast. I'll start on it later today.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Thank you for the replies. I was thinking about the novelization and it definitely benefits from having a single voice telling the story as opposed to several (which is the worst part of crossovers imo), but I still want to read it in comic form because...well, it's comics. And it was the way it was originally intended to be read, which I think is an important part. I'll probably read the novel sometime later. Nice to hear that NML doesn't suck atleast. I'll start on it later today.

I'm really tempted to dig it outta the boxes myself, it's been a while and I think there'll be a bunch of surprises of artists where I'm like "he did this??"

There's some good Eaglesham in there, I remember that much.

Anybody read this week's Cable and X-Force? How is it? I'm trying to drop it, but seeing Domino in the cover has me second guessing myself.

Owzers

i bought League of Ex Gentlemen 1910, 1969, and 2009 with the comixology top shelf sale. I remember reading 1910 awhile ago but i never read the other two, so i got all three to read in a row. I knew i didn't really like 1910 the first time i read it and my opinion is unchanged, just a boring story all around. The other two have to be better, right?

Anybody read this week's Cable and X-Force? How is it? I'm trying to drop it, but seeing Domino in the cover has me second guessing myself.

Its usual awesome. That and Uncanny X-Force have really upped their fun quotient.

Of course the best Domino story this week was Adam Warren's phenomenal turn in A+X.

Owzers

i just follow on newsarama at the time the event starts for a liveblog. These panels are almost always boring to me though, maybe they throw out one announcement followed by " these books are good" followed by non-answered audience questions.

i just follow on newsarama at the time the event starts for a liveblog. These panels are almost always boring to me though, maybe they throw out one announcement followed by " these books are good" followed by non-answered audience questions.

Yeah I just wait for the follow up stories with all the schway new art and creative teams.

Or in the case of DC, the cool new KIA paint jobs.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
i bought League of Ex Gentlemen 1910, 1969, and 2009 with the comixology top shelf sale. I remember reading 1910 awhile ago but i never read the other two, so i got all three to read in a row. I knew i didn't really like 1910 the first time i read it and my opinion is unchanged, just a boring story all around. The other two have to be better, right?

Eh...

I think I liked 1910 the most. I felt the series started losing something as it got closer to current times and was referencing and incorporating all sorts of modern pop culture. Tons of British musical acts, Harry Potter, etc. I suppose there's more 'action' in 2009 at least since it's the close of the arc.

I liked the League best when it was rooted in the older Victorian era characters.

Eh...

I think I liked 1910 the most. I felt the series started losing something as it got closer to current times and was referencing and incorporating all sorts of modern pop culture. Tons of British musical acts, Harry Potter, etc. I suppose there's more 'action' in 2009 at least since it's the close of the arc.

I liked the League best when it was rooted in the older Victorian era characters.

Same here. Just too much weird musical shit and it just kind of lost it. Vol. 2 of LOEG was the peak. Those last few issues. So good.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
I love the fake romance novel cover for October's issue of Saga, especially considering how these two hooked up over some cheesy romance novel in prison

SAGA-15.jpg
Very fitting too considering they're currently
hiding in the home of the author of said romance

8bit

Knows the Score

1969 is probably the best of them, but 2009 is shit.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
I thought 2009 had some interesting elements, I thought the use of
Mary Poppins
was great, especially how it was drawn, but the further the series has gotten from the Victorian era the more it's suffered. That era has such a wealth of public domain work being used that later periods almost seem sparse in comparison, whether this is because direct references can't be used due to copyright issues or Moore just isn't as familiar with references around those times I'm not sure, but I get the feeling it's more of the former. Being able to use more of the fictional world of the 60s onwards would have given a really interesting mix of characters.

I wouldn't say they're a bad purchase, it's just a shame that more couldn't have been made of the settings.

ElNarez

Banned
And I'm gonna say it's the latter. Century is a fucking treatise on how everything sucks now and it's got no soul and man why can't we go back to the heroes of olden days now those were actually good also I am Alan Moore and I do not see what's the problem with the golliwog.

And I'm gonna say it's the latter. Century is a fucking treatise on how everything sucks now and it's got no soul and man why can't we go back to the heroes of olden days now those were actually good also I am Alan Moore and I do not see what's the problem with the golliwog.

lol dyin
a+++

FoneBone

This. I like Moore and all, but the message of Volume 3 comes down to yet another member of the Older Generation whining about Cultural Decline and Youth Today, and that's always struck me as being mostly horseshit.

Owzers

Next up: Marvel Unlimited, formerly Marvel Digital Comics Unlimited, and now available on mobile devices as of the past few months.

Bendis compares Marvel Unlimited to Netflix, due to its ability to facilitate "binge watching" — or in this case, binge reading.
newsarama.com write up

Yep, about what i expected. Marvel Unlimited exists, next subject. The updates are getting slim, about 10 moderately new books a week and 4 or so older books. Each update brings new gaps to a series while at the same time Marvel says they are closing gaps.

Nearly all the references to contemporary pop culture in Century, save The Thick of It, come off as extremely shallow, as though Moore only familiarized himself with it by reading Wikipedia articles... which I'm pretty sure is exactly what he did.

Is that supposed to be Young Diana from WW 0? I wish they made one in that art style. Just cant justify spending 100 plus for a figure. Thats a weeks worth of comcis right there.

I'll occasionally spend $100+ on a single figure. But a regular comics haul for me is usually $20-$25 per week. What do you buy? Besides everything.

Shazam, booster gold and doom patrol. Good shit DC

Thought fuck if didio is on booster
And in closing may we be getting a new Doom Patrol series? Bob Wayne was pretty tight lipped when asked but boy did he have a big grin on his face.

Geoff Johns alluded to a Shazam monthly coming in the new year. Also confirmed that the main mastermind character for Forever Evil would be Lex Luthor. When asked about the rumoured Booster Gold monthly he dodged the question and stated that he wasn’t allowed to say much but to talk to Dan Didio. I hope that means we will be getting a new Booster Gold monthly and not that Dan Didio will be writing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom