• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| July 2013. Celebrate liberty with the ultimate patriotic superhero.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ReiGun

Uuuuggggghhhh. Incoming Earth 2 writer said they will be focusing alot more in Batman. Gotta be why Robinson left.

So, I'm gonna have to Earth 2 then. Neat.

Batman has enough fucking books focusing on him. And watch the new Batman be revealed as Bruce Wayne because "Batman is the bestest and he had a plan to survive and prep time and YEAH!" Ugh, fucking A.

ElNarez

Banned

So, I'm gonna have to Earth 2 then. Neat.

Batman has enough fucking books focusing on him. And watch the new Batman be revealed as Bruce Wayne because "Batman is the bestest and he had a plan to survive and prep time and YEAH!" Ugh, fucking A.

That's one thing that's pretty much up to Robinson, and he's much too smart to do something this hacky. At least I think.

Franken-devil :D

1374174419.jpg

spiderman and friends panel

ElNarez

Banned
There's a line in there that makes it sound like Otto's going to be around for a while, Ramos said Slott clued him in on what he's doing for the next three years.

Also I really like the fact Waid said he'd do a Halloween special without having an idea first, also that he isn't going to just hand wave the cancer away.

fuck

Veelk

Banned
Read the first 10 issues of NML

Wow, Jedeye wasn't kidding about the quality. This is surprisingly one of the darkest tones I've ever seen a Batman book in. Gotham is well and truly destitute and it's people no longer even function as normal people. Gordon hates Bats and Bruce Wayne apparently fucked up major sometime in the lead up and Batman has been gone. And when Batman does come back, he need to relearn how to work around the entire city.

Yet there is also a strong sense of idealism, especially with the scarecrow arc that I just finished up reading. And as an atheist, I'm really appreciate that religion and religious people were portrayed as real altruists while still struggling with natural human temptations. It's a good example of what religion should be. And that's how Batman should be too, a dark and gritty world with an undying spark of hope and light.

The worst criticism I can give is that the Azrael issues were kind of boring, but I have no connection to this character, so that's to be expected. It doesn't help that his entire story didn't really relate to NML except for the very end. They weren't bad per se, I just don't see how they relate in a strong way to the story that's going on right now. Now that he's coming to gotham, hopefully, they'll get better.

But so far, this is fantastic.

Are you guys sure the lead up issues to NML were that bad? It's hard to believe that they suck as bad as Jedeye said if the whole arc keeps up the quality the first few issues have given. I don't know if I want to go back now that I read this far, but I'm curious about what happened to Bruce Wayne, what caused this earthquake, what is the deal with Gordon, etc.

Edit: Also, this is the first book that I read that had Cassandra Cain in it, but wasn't she suppose to be mute?

ReiGun

Yeah but he's been the one that's been building up E2-Batman and he's gonna be the one to spill the beans on his identity.

Oh well if Robinson's handling it, then I have more faith in a decent reveal.

Still sucks to hear that Earth 2 is in danger of becoming another Batman book. :/

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Read the first 10 issues of NML

Wow, Jedeye wasn't kidding about the quality. This is surprisingly one of the darkest tones I've ever seen a Batman book in. Gotham is well and truly destitute and it's people no longer even function as normal people. Gordon hates Bats and Bruce Wayne apparently fucked up major sometime in the lead up and Batman has been gone. And when Batman does come back, he need to relearn how to work around the entire city.

Yet there is also a strong sense of idealism, especially with the scarecrow arc that I just finished up reading. And as an atheist, I'm really appreciate that religion and religious people were portrayed as real altruists while still struggling with natural human temptations. It's a good example of what religion should be. And that's how Batman should be too, a dark and gritty world with an undying spark of hope and light.

The worst criticism I can give is that the Azrael issues were kind of boring, but I have no connection to this character, so that's to be expected. It doesn't help that his entire story didn't really relate to NML except for the very end. They weren't bad per se, I just don't see how they relate in a strong way to the story that's going on right now. Now that he's coming to gotham, hopefully, they'll get better.

But so far, this is fantastic.

Are you guys sure the lead up issues to NML were that bad? It's hard to believe that they suck as bad as Jedeye said if the whole arc keeps up the quality the first few issues have given. I don't know if I want to go back now that I read this far, but I'm curious about what happened to Bruce Wayne, what caused this earthquake, what is the deal with Gordon, etc.

Edit: Also, this is the first book that I read that had Cassandra Cain in it, but wasn't she suppose to be mute?

Inspired by our messages yesterday, I got hold of NML digitally through otherwise nefarious means (I have all the singles, I just wanna read them on my tablet. I can show pics of my boxes fro proof!) and have re-started it again too. Damn that early Maleev art is so good!

And I'm not saying you're a dirty torrenter, but if your source includes the Azreal and Robin issues do yourself a favour and delete them. remember how I said the Road to NML stuff sucked? Well Azrael is very indicitive of the quality of those issues - a very dull story set on the perhiphery of the event, completely non essential. And the Robin stuff is just a bit dull. The Nightwing issues are pretty good though.

There was also a very dry and dull story with fuckin awful Aparo artwork about Bruce going to Washington in the Road to NML, and it has zero worth besides "Batman lost". When NML started, the readers were just as in the dark as the characters as to where Batman was. And it kinda makes the story better going into it without the endless artistically moribund setup. But if you do happen to have them on hand, read a couple of issues and then come back and tell me how right I am. But FFS, don't pay money for them. IMO, No Man's Land is ONLY the issues in Batman, Tec, Legends and Shadow - all the other titles (Robin, Nightwing, Chronicles) are non-essential and of wildly varying quality.

As for your questions - NML represented a quantum leap forward in quality for the Bat-books, they had never been this good before. Bruce went to Washington, lost and went AWOL. He'll come back and they'll explain where he was (clue: crying :p). The Earthquake was just a natural disaster but the story itself was awful, lots of really bad art and prose. the first 8 or so issues were just showing the quake from different perspectives - the Robin issue was 20 pages of unconnected story followed by ONE PAGE of him seeing the quake from a plane, it was awful. Best bit of the story were the one shots set in Arkham and Blackgate showing the prisoners escape, they weren't too bad. At the end the Ventriloquist tries to take credit for causing it. The whole event was about 17 issues IIRC. The aftershocks were almost universally terrible as well, months and months of boring stories about ruined buildings. Yawn.

Tenck

Been reading Irredeemable off and on for a few weeks. I don't want it to end. It's so damn good.

Onto Saga now. Was super cheap, and compared to my other potential buys, it's pretty long.

Just finished readon vol.1-3 of Brubaker's Iron Fist. Is it wrong if I found it to be mediocre?

Yup. ;D

Went HAM on the Elephantmen sale. Got all the collections. The production value/design on these things...

:0

Sadly, art is mad inconsistent but the price was right. ;D

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Its usual awesome. That and Uncanny X-Force have really upped their fun quotient.

Of course the best Domino story this week was Adam Warren's phenomenal turn in A+X.

Adam Warren did a story in A+X? Holy shit must read!

EDIT: He did one in A+X #9 too!

Tizoc

OH MY GOSH! OH MY GOSH! OH MY GOSH! OH MY GOSH! OH MY GOSH! OH MY GOSH! OH MY GOSH! OH MY GOSH! OH MY GOSH! OH MY GOSH!
tumblr_mq3b1f4fCv1r7ni1io1_1280.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom