• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| July 2013. Celebrate liberty with the ultimate patriotic superhero.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just finished readon vol.1-3 of Brubaker's Iron Fist. Is it wrong if I found it to be mediocre?

I didn't like it at first but I re-read about a year ago and it's fantastic the world building is insane and it added a cool mythology to a obscure character. Plus the pulpy vibe and great characters added to the uniqueness of it. Give it another shot when you have the time.

NEO0MJ

Super duper wrong!

get the FUCK out of this thread

Ouch. Still, the story and dialoge didn't capture me much, and I felt really annoyed by vol.3, most of the side-stories felt pretty meh and we're left with a huge cliff-hanger. Guess I should buy vol.4

I didn't like it at first but I re-read about a year ago and it's fantastic the world building is insane and it added a cool mythology to a obscure character. Plus the pulpy vibe and great characters added to the uniqueness of it. Give it another shot when you have the time.

Might just do that later.

Wanted to get caught up on Superior Spidey and had the first trade and needed 6-13 and LCS didnt have them all so I went with Midtown comics. See them advertised in books all the time so I assume they are reliable?

tim1138

Wanted to get caught up on Superior Spidey and had the first trade and needed 6-13 and LCS didnt have them all so I went with Midtown comics. See them advertised in books all the time so I assume they are reliable?

Yep, I've ordered quite a few things from them over the years.

Acid08

Banned
Ouch. Still, the story and dialoge didn't capture me much, and I felt really annoyed by vol.3, most of the side-stories felt pretty meh and we're left with a huge cliff-hanger. Guess I should buy vol.4

Might just do that later.
The trades put everything in a weird order. Those side stories are actually interspersed throughout that first arc.

NEO0MJ

Immortal Iron Fist was by Fraction and Brubaker right? I keep forgetting Brubaker was a writer on it...

Yep, Brubaker and Fraction were the writers.

The trades put everything in a weird order. Those side stories are actually interspersed throughout that first arc.

Aha. Guess they wanted to complete the first arc in one volume and make vol.3 mostly filler, except for one huge detail in connection to the main story.

What's the next convention that we can expect actual comic news out of?

Yeah, it was kinda strange, I was expecting some news to come out. Still, aren't there still two days left?

kswiston

Yeah, it was kinda strange, I was expecting some news to come out. Still, aren't there still two days left?

There's still a Cup of Joe and Infinity panel by Marvel and 2-3 event specific panels by DC. However, my expectations are low. I don't think we got much out of SDCC last year.

It's happining .gif

XHYQQ6G.jpg

Also a very blue mutant is back

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2013/07...ler-series-deadpool-vs-carnage-and-marvelman/

ElNarez

Banned
YA being canceled means I AM PUTTING ALL OF Y'ALL ON BLAST. Seriously, you let Dan Slott write Spider-Man for three more fucking years and we barely get two years of The Best Teen Comic Of The Tensies? Fuck all y'all, again.

Nudull

Banned
YA being canceled means I AM PUTTING ALL OF Y'ALL ON BLAST. Seriously, you let Dan Slott write Spider-Man for three more fucking years and we barely get two years of The Best Teen Comic Of The Tensies? Fuck all y'all, again.

I tried, friend. ;_;

frye

idk dude, this seems pretty sweet to me? Marvel really wants to do these big, long, writer-driven, multi-year runs but the "hit it and quit it" style of Iron Fist's 16 issues + annuals + specials is kind of perfect.

ElNarez

Banned
idk dude, this seems pretty sweet to me? Marvel really wants to do these big, long, writer-driven, multi-year runs but the "hit it and quit it" style of Iron Fist's 16 issues + annuals + specials is kind of perfect.

Well it makes Avengers fucking Arena the only Teen Avengers book Marvel is publishing and This Is The Opposite Of Right.

bronson

Wasn't 15 issues always the plan for Gillen/McKelvie?

Is there even a trade out yet? Maybe that could save it.

I think it just means the end of the first season like how Avengers Arena is.

And quote:

"celebrates the end of Gillen and McKelvie's first year mega arc on the book."

EDIT:

Aw, nermind

"It's good. We've done what we wanted to do. I think that's the best way of putting it. "Young Avengers" feels similar to Matt Fraction and Ed Brubaker's "Immortal Iron Fist" in that this is a 15-issue statement. It can be collected in three trades and maybe even one big omnibus. It will be a way we saw of doing super hero comics in 2013.

I really do love the synchronicity of coming out in January of this year and issue #15 comes out just at the beginning of the new year. There's a poetry to that that, which we don't get enough of in comics."

Messi

I have a basic noobie question, I just finished reading Hawkeye - My life as a Weapon. That collects issues 1-6 and then there is a young avengers issue that kind of contradicts the rest of the hawkeye issues at the end. Why is that issue in there? it implies
hawkeye died? and the girl (I cant think of her name) took over? In the earlier issues hawkeye says she is 9, but in the art she looks alot older, so what age is she?

I am sorry for the stupid questions, I am just a bit confused while trying to get into comics again.

I have a basic noobie question, I just finished reading Hawkeye - My life as a Weapon. That collects issues 1-6 and then there is a young avengers issue that kind of contradicts the rest of the hawkeye issues at the end. Why is that issue in there? it implies
hawkeye died? and the girl (I cant think of her name) took over? In the earlier issues hawkeye says she is 9, but in the art she looks alot older, so what age is she?

I am sorry for the stupid questions, I am just a bit confused while trying to get into comics again.

its an older comic from before the new Hawkeye book started.
he was "dead" for a little while yea

The 9 year old thing was a joke by Clint, she's 18ish I believe.
The issue on the end is actually a couple of years older. Clint died during Avengers Disassembled and Kate took over as Hawkeye during the first volume of Young Avengers.

Messi

its an older comic from before the new Hawkeye book started.
he was "dead" for a little while yea

The 9 year old thing was a joke by Clint, she's 18ish I believe.
The issue on the end is actually a couple of years older. Clint died during Avengers Disassembled and Kate took over as Hawkeye during the first volume of Young Avengers.

Ah good stuff.

Is young avengers worth reading? Is there a trade of that out yet?

Whew. I started this hobby in late April and I was looking at my wife and mines expenses and coming up with a budgets and I calculated that we have spent around a grand in that time. Were not hurting or anything and it has slowed down quite a bit with catching up with everything I want to read but damn thats a lot of money.

Owzers

Whew. I started this hobby in late April and I was looking at my wife and mines expenses and coming up with a budgets and I calculated that we have spent around a grand in that time. Were not hurting or anything and it has slowed down quite a bit with catching up with everything I want to read but damn thats a lot of money.

time to start selling everything that isn't your favorite.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom