• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| July 2013. Celebrate liberty with the ultimate patriotic superhero.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Acid08

Banned
YA being canceled means I AM PUTTING ALL OF Y'ALL ON BLAST. Seriously, you let Dan Slott write Spider-Man for three more fucking years and we barely get two years of The Best Teen Comic Of The Tensies? Fuck all y'all, again.
People just can't handle that deep parent/child dynamic.

tm24

YA being canceled means I AM PUTTING ALL OF Y'ALL ON BLAST. Seriously, you let Dan Slott write Spider-Man for three more fucking years and we barely get two years of The Best Teen Comic Of The Tensies? Fuck all y'all, again.

Im 90% convinced the creative team is ending, with McKelvie leaving to finish the next Phonogram book and Gillen will be staying on for the next season

EDIT: That tweet from McKelvie more or less makes me certain that's what happening

Sweet!

But brahs I'm serious. If you know ANYONE or ANYWAY to get in on this let me know. I have to create comics. Icant exist without it. It's like explosive diarhea, I have tolet these stories out.

Nothing's stopping you from writing as you search out your artist. Depending on where you like, there may be workshops for comic book creators, which could net results. I know there are things like that where I live.

frye

Gillen will stay, McKelvie will leave to launch Marvel Boy ghost written by Grant Morrison

Welcome to the capital city of the new Kree empire

I was big on New X-Men for a long time but when I reread Marvel Boy before Young Avengers came out I turned around: Marvel Boy is the truth.

F U C K Y O U

The fact that Jemas pissed Morrison off back to DC before he could finish it is one great disappointments of my time reading comics.

So swung by my LCS to pick up this week's books and...

...closed lol. I know that the owners are at SDCC but still, usually the owner's dad is there to cover.

Ah well, I can wait to pick up my books either tomorrow or next week.

tim1138

So the Marvel sliding timeline thing is real?

The next person asks why ORIGINAL Scott Summers was confused about water bottles when they came to the future, due to the sliding timescale. Bendis admits that he’s done some anachronistic jokes, much to the chagrin of Nick Lowe. “We are idiots to ourselves about this as well,” Benids said.

I was big on New X-Men for a long time but when I reread Marvel Boy before Young Avengers came out I turned around: Marvel Boy is the truth.

F U C K Y O U

The fact that Jemas pissed Morrison off back to DC before he could finish it is one great disappointments of my time reading comics.

That thing is like every angry 15-year old fantasy comic. The antagonists are LITERALLY an evil corporation, cops, overprotective dads, and humanity in general. Fascism, screwing hot chicks and pissing off her dad, writing FUCK YOU COMPANY MAN in your notebook, Jim Steranko and Bill Sienkiewicz comics.

I think Marvel Boy 2 got cancelled for being too cosmic or something? Fuck you Jemas/Quesada you lame-os

ElNarez

Banned
Im 90% convinced the creative team is ending, with McKelvie leaving to finish the next Phonogram book and Gillen will be staying on for the next season

EDIT: That tweet from McKelvie more or less makes me certain that's what happening

Okay, Comic-GAF, you've officially gone down from "ON BLAST" to "ON NOTICE". Activity can resume. (I also totally did not read that interview because I found that Gillen introducing ideas, while fucking awesome, spoils the fuck out of whatever you're reading.)

frye

That thing is like every angry 15-year old fantasy comic. The antagonists are LITERALLY an evil corporation, cops, overprotective dads, and humanity in general. Fascism, screwing hot chicks and pissing off her dad, writing FUCK YOU COMPANY MAN in your notebook, Jim Steranko and Bill Sienkiewicz comics.

I think Marvel Boy 2 got cancelled for being too cosmic or something? Fuck you Jemas/Quesada you lame-os

Yeah, he was gonna (partially?) do a tribute to Starlin and Englehart's cosmic stuff from the 70's, which would have been a hell of a thing.

tim1138

Well it sort of had to be for anything to make any sort of sense without a reboot or whatever. Especially for the X-Men since they've actually aged.

So how old is the Marvel U supposed to be then? Isn't it based on Franklin Richard's age or something?

Can anyone offer up advice on ditching floppies? I'm gonna be reorganizing and know I'm gonna want to get rid of all the stuff I don't like a lot or have sentimental attachment to. I know Ebay may be one way to go, but I don't have an account there. I may end up getting one, but any ideas for alternatives? I'd bestow them on a young 'un but I can't think of anyone to give them to who might actually want them and read them. It's not a bunch of great classic runs, more a bunch of #1s (not worth much $) and odds and ends. Mostly in quite good condition, though.

kswiston

So how old is the Marvel U supposed to be then? Isn't it based on Franklin Richard's age or something?

Somewhere between 10-15 years since the FF took their rocket trip.

Bendis' All New X-Men jokes where he has the time displaced X-Men act like they came out of the 60's were never funny. However, at least it shows that Marvel editors let their (bigger) talent do what they want in their books, even when what they want is stupid.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

More like the age of Scott and the original X-Men. They started off at about 15 and are like 30-ish now. So about 15 years give or take.

Considering they're like the only one who have really aged significantly there's really no one else to get a feeling from.

kswiston

More like the age of Scott and the original X-Men. They started off at about 15 and are like 30-ish now. So about 15 years give or take.

Considering they're like the only one who have really aged significantly there's really no one else to get a feeling from.

Spider-Man and the Human Torch both started as 15-16 year olds.

Marvel didn't have as many notable young heroes as DC in the Silver age though.

Veelk

Banned
Are there any good Superman cross over comics? Almost every DC cross over I hear about is either the Batfamily or the DC universe in general and most superman recommendations have him as the main character. From the Young Justice show, I thought the idea that he has to take superboy as his son was an intriguing dynamic that never got fully explored. Is there anything like that?

frye

That was a good choice, both deserve it.

All the noms are pretty fantastic. Even picking two of them would be hard.

Also agreed re:Wacker - he has the best taste in art in the Big Two by a country mile. I'd be interested to see what he would do if he was in charge of DC's artists. Dude just needs to shut the fuck up about everything forever.

Penguin

So about future DC animated features: Justice League: War in 2014, Son Of Batman and Batman: Assault on Arkham.

I don't know what the last two arcs could be...

Well imagine Son of Batman is Damian's origins from Morrison.. the latter.. not 100% sure on

Are there any good Superman cross over comics? Almost every DC cross over I hear about is either the Batfamily or the DC universe in general and most superman recommendations have him as the main character. From the Young Justice show, I thought the idea that he has to take superboy as his son was an intriguing dynamic that never got fully explored. Is there anything like that?

You might enjoy New Krypton, but it doesn't feature Superboy.

Superman takes back The bottle city of Kandor from Brainiac and it grows back to normal size. It deals with the implications of having a bunch of Kryptonians on earth.

Acid08

Banned
Can anyone offer up advice on ditching floppies? I'm gonna be reorganizing and know I'm gonna want to get rid of all the stuff I don't like a lot or have sentimental attachment to. I know Ebay may be one way to go, but I don't have an account there. I may end up getting one, but any ideas for alternatives? I'd bestow them on a young 'un but I can't think of anyone to give them to who might actually want them and read them. It's not a bunch of great classic runs, more a bunch of #1s (not worth much $) and odds and ends. Mostly in quite good condition, though.
Have a Half Price Books near you? They'll buy all your comics but you definitely won't get much for them. Otherwise Goodwill or something similar.

Messi

So guys, nearly finished reading the first volume of Saga. Its pretty damn great. The art is amazing. Hopefully the 2nd volume is as good.

Speaking of Saga,

Eisner's
Best Writer: Brian K. Vaughn
Best New Series: Saga
Best Continuing Series: Saga

Edit: also
Best Cover Artist: David Aja: Hawkeye
Best Single Issue: The Mire, by Becky Cloonan
Best Writer/Artist: Chris Ware, Building Stories

Vibranium

Banned
Aww man, so I have to wait until next year (probably next summer for the lead up to Cap's next movie) to get my hands on relaunched Winter Soldier for NOW 2? Dammit, I have to put up with Nick Spencer and his obsession over Fury Junior even longer just to see Bucky...

Also: Well deserved Eisners for everyone, why David Aja isn't in charge of Marvel's costume redesigns, I'll never know. Dude is able to see when a design doesn't mesh well and works closely with writers to fit their vision. I'd have him revamping a ton of villains' outfits so we can actually take them seriously, if I was in charge of Marvel.

I have a huge grin on my face reading Trinity War.

Day Men was pretty chill. It's a Boom series so you never know if it will make it past six issues or retroactively be labeled a mini.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned

You might enjoy New Krypton, but it doesn't feature Superboy.

Superman takes back The bottle city of Kandor from Brainiac and it grows back to normal size. It deals with the implications of having a bunch of Kryptonians on earth.

Superboy is in New Krypton somewhere, I'm sure of it. NK is a pretty good story too, lots of fun avenues of story that it goes down. That and the Death of Superman are my favourite mainstream superman epics.

Of course, All Star Superman is the only superman story you'll ever need.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom