• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| July 2013. Celebrate liberty with the ultimate patriotic superhero.

Status
Not open for further replies.
As someone who was dreading another origin story, zero year has been amazing and is much more of an early batman story than an origin story.

So they only had Whedon runaways stuff so I took the advice and left them there.

I did end up buying the paperbacks of:

Wonder Woman: Blood Vol 1
Batman: Court of Owls Vol 1
Batgirl: The Darkest Reflection Vol 1
Chew: International Flavour Vol 2

Did I get good stuff? I have not read any of them, but Chew Vol 1 was great.

Batman and Wonder woman have been two of the very best new 52 books.

Lombaszko

Man, my local shop had zero copies of Justice League Dark and zero copies of Bats/Supes. Crazy! So I got JLD digital, for the first time in a while. The collector in me was bummed, but it was so easy to download and read I think I'll do that from now on if my shop doesn't have a title. My longbox will be all messed up though!

Ok, quick hits.

Lazarus #2 - Another solid issue that introduces more characters and a bit more about Forever. Still on board for this one.

Batman/Superman - may be my pull of the week. The art while a little disjointing in 1 works perfect here. The story was just a joy to read and the anticipation of each new panel was spot on. Cool things happening in this book.

Acid08

Banned
So they only had Whedon runaways stuff so I took the advice and left them there.

Chew is amazing best comic alive.

three out of four ain't bad....

Vyer

Zero year is yet another example that sometimes comic fans are a little too quick to get negative.

Supers/Bats is also good, but I have to admit it takes me a bit to adjust to the art.

ReiGun

While reading today's Aquaman, I found myself reading all his dialogue in his "Brave and the Bold" voice.

I was shocked how it made the issue that much better, and amazed I hadn't been doing this before.

Wow, Spider-Man was very Superior this week.

New Avengers was great. Definitely alot of "Oh shit" moments. My favorite art this week too.

Wolverine and the X-Men was great
at making Toad awesome

Picking up comics again lately and I've been reading through Wolverine and the new Age of Ultron. I'm in catch-up mode for AoU as it's about to finish anyway. Been enjoying it quite a bit. Finished reading issue 5 last night - loved the art so far.

Seems a bit rushed though; my main complaint is regarding the
one panel deaths. She-Hulk, Panther for example - and the not-even-one-panel death that Cage had
. I understand it's a low-edition series, but damn.

pa22word

Hey all, I've been burning through New 52 Batman and have hit a wall of sorts. It's calling back to something about the Joker that happened in an entirely different on going Batman comic (which I found out via google-fu is "Detective Comics"). Now while I'm really quite enjoying what I've read of Batman, I don't know if I'm willing to throw down the money and commit the time (but mostly the money) to read multiple versions of him just to keep up with the on-goings of the overarcing batman plot to ensure I don't find myself lost unless both comics are really good. What say you, comic-gaf, is Detective Comics worth the investment if I've already committed to Batman? Or should I just read a plot synopsis online to catch up whenever Batman calls back to it?

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Hey all, I've been burning through New 52 Batman and have hit a wall of sorts. It's calling back to something about the Joker that happened in an entirely different on going Batman comic (which I found out via google-fu is "Detective Comics"). Now while I'm really quite enjoying what I've read of Batman, I don't know if I'm willing to throw down the money and commit the time (but mostly the money) to read multiple versions of him just to keep up with the on-goings of the overarcing batman plot to ensure I don't find myself lost unless both comics are really good. What say you, comic-gaf, is Detective Comics worth the investment if I've already committed to Batman? Or should I just read a plot synopsis online to catch up whenever Batman calls back to it?

Don't worry about it, it's not needed. All you need to know is Batman fought a guy who cut off Joker's face for whatever reason.

ReiGun

The event they'referencing happens in the very first issue of Detective and that's it. You could pick that up and read it if you want.

Batman is the best bat-book aside from Batman Incorporated; Detective is pretty underwhelming.

Is the ongoing Captain America comics good?

And what Iron Man comics should I check out? Probably not ongoing ones, maybe just separate storyline stories.. I'm a comic newb so I don't know what it would be called lol.

pa22word

Don't worry about it, it's not needed. All you need to know is Batman fought a guy who cut off Joker's face for whatever reason.

The event they'referencing happens in the very first issue of Detective and that's it. You could pick that up and read it if you want.

Batman is the best bat-book aside from Batman Incorporated; Detective is pretty underwhelming.

Okay cool, thanks. I might pick up DC #1 over on comixology (it's going for $1 so why not) just to be in the know, then.

Also, is Nightwing any good? As is right now he's my favorite recurring character in Batman (love the dynamic between him and Batman), and I'd be willing to check his comic out if it's any good.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
Okay cool, thanks. I might pick up DC #1 over on comixology (it's going for $1 so why not) just to be in the know, then.

Issue #1 was pretty good as I recall, but do not buy the next issues after that. It is an incomprehensible Tony Daniel arc that has nothing to do with the Joker.

Messi

I LOVE Saga.

But nah. It's all about Chew.

Tasters choice was great. Can't wait to crack open 2.

You guys know ultimate comics spider man by bendis. The one with the really cartoony art. They rebooted it a few years back. Is that still going?

Owzers

you guys are making me disappointed that i didn't pre-order the Superman/Batman combo packs, dcbs could add a previous combo pack to my order so i assume those are hard for retailers to reorder.

It will be nice to read this book in 2015 when the first trade comes out. Or maybe i'll wait 2 months and start buying it digitally? At least that's an option even if it's still expensive.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
1288869_ful.jpg
1267926_ful.jpg
1268369_ful.jpg

1268380_ful.jpg
1268328_ful.jpg
1268008_ful.jpg

1268042_ful.jpg
1268162_ful.jpg
1268151_ful.jpg

1268226_ful.jpg
1268235_ful.jpg
1267982_ful.jpg

Got my Vibe from last week. Awesomeness. Great last page.

Trinity War continues to be good.

New Avengers seemed to be hinting at the Inhumans event as well, did it not?

So Trinity War part 3 spoilers.
Who do you think is the mole? Is it in the core Justice League or any of the teams? Obvious choice is Catwoman if all teams are considered. Almost too predictable though. hmmmmm

Trinity War theory (possibly massive spoilers if accurate):

I suspect the
mole is Superman himself. I strongly believe that Superman is actually Ultraman. His sickness could be suggestive of Ultraman's relationship with Kryptonite, in which prolonged exposure grants him increased strength and powers, whereas the absence of Kryptonite severely weakens him. Waller's insistence on Firestorm making Kryponite could have disastrous effects if it actually powers him up.

Madame Xanadu's vision from Justice League #22 suggested that she knew what Trinity meant and not only were they coming, but some of them were already here. *Some* is plural. If the Outsider is from Earth 3, then he's not alone. It'd be quite the twist if Superman was revealed to be Ultraman, whether having replaced Superman at some point or having assumed control of his body. You can't overlook what happened when he touched Pandora's box. She herself said Superman is supposed to be pure of heart, yet the events that unfolded suggested he had been or was corrupted in some manner.

The best mole is someone who doesn't know they are a mole, especially if this is an Ultraman that believes he is Superman.

That aside, I'm absolutely loving Trinity War so far. The writing and art has been top tier. Mikel Janin's art on Justice League Dark is beautiful, especially his Wonder Woman. In regards to the events of JLD #22, what do you guys think of the
team split?

Superman's Justice League:
Martian Manhunter
Firestorm
Cyborg
Atom
Element Woman
Green Arrow
Question

Batman's Justice League:
Katana
Steve Trevor
Catwoman
Phantom Stranger
Vibe
Flash
Green Lantern

Wonder Woman's Justice League:
Zatanna
Deadman
Stargirl
Aquaman
Hawkman
Frankenstein
Black Orchid

Wonder Woman's team is so good. I'd totally buy a Justice League Dark headlined by Wonder Woman. I love that her team is comprised of supernatural entities and fellow warriors, Stargirl aside.

Vibranium

Banned
Is the ongoing Captain America comics good?

Hell yes, Remender is killing it on Cap and he's carving out a definitive run on the character in my opinion. You also should check out Ed Brubaker's Captain America run, that's where the new movie is pulling material from. A spin-off book from Bru's series you might also like is Winter Soldier, aka Cap's partner Bucky Barnes, it was recently cancelled but will be relaunched at some point. It's fantastic spy fare that is more personal and behind the scenes.

Batgirl wasn't terrible but I think it started to click at the Night of Owls crossover and it got better as it went from there

Its wierd they switched it since pre nu52 Detective was blowing Batman up

Also, is Nightwing any good? As is right now he's my favorite recurring character in Batman (love the dynamic between him and Batman), and I'd be willing to check his comic out if it's any good.

Nightwing is good

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Batgirl wasn't terrible but I think it started to click at the Night of Owls crossover and it got better as it went from there

Its wierd they switched it since pre nu52 Detective was blowing Batman up

Nightwing is good

Wasn't Snyder writing Detective right before the reboot?

Also I'm seconding the Nightwing recommendation.

Wasn't Snyder writing Detective right before the reboot?

Also I'm seconding the Nightwing recommendation.

Yes, that's right, Snyder was the writer on Detective Comics coming into the reboot. He wrote eleven issues, collected in the Black Mirror trade. I highly recommend it, even if you're not a fan of Grayson Batman.

Interesting theory.
I like how they are split into both Trinities: Supes/Question, Bats/Phantom, WW/Pandora (Looking for her at least)

On other news, I am adoring Uncanny Avengers.
Thor-Rogue should be a thing.

I suspect the
mole is Superman himself. I strongly believe that Superman is actually Ultraman. His sickness could be suggestive of Ultraman's relationship with Kryptonite, in which prolonged exposure grants him increased strength and powers, whereas the absence of Kryptonite severely weakens him. Waller's insistence on Firestorm making Kryponite could have disastrous effects if it actually powers him up.

Madame Xanadu's vision from Justice League #22 suggested that she knew what Trinity meant and not only were they coming, but some of them were already here. *Some* is plural. If the Outsider is from Earth 3, then he's not alone. It'd be quite the twist if Superman was revealed to be Ultraman, whether having replaced Superman at some point or having assumed control of his body. You can't overlook what happened when he touched Pandora's box. She herself said Superman is supposed to be pure of heart, yet the events that unfolded suggested he had been or was corrupted in some manner.

The best mole is someone who doesn't know they are a mole, especially if this is an Ultraman that believes he is Superman.

That aside, I'm absolutely loving Trinity War so far. The writing and art has been top tier. Mikel Janin's art on Justice League Dark is beautiful, especially his Wonder Woman. In regards to the events of JLD #22, what do you guys think of the
team split?

Martian Manhunter
Firestorm
Cyborg
Atom
Element Woman
Green Arrow
Question

Batman's Justice League:
Katana
Steve Trevor
Catwoman
Phantom Stranger
Vibe
Flash
Green Lantern

Zatanna
Deadman
Stargirl
Aquaman
Hawkman
Frankenstein
Black Orchid

Wonder Woman's team is so good. I'd totally buy a Justice League Dark headlined by Wonder Woman. I love that her team is comprised of supernatural entities and fellow warriors, Stargirl aside.

Very interesting! So where do Constatine and Shazam fit in? Feel like I need to reread the tie-in again to see if it gels with your theory.

I am assuming Batgirl is the bad one. I bought that on a whim :/

It's pretty average/mediocre from what i read (first 8 issues)

It's alright, I read it for a little bit. I remember the first arc and then the Night of the Owls tie-ins were good but the arc right after it was bad so i dropped it.

RoguexThor
? I approve, Rick (uncanny avengers)
Speaking of which, thank god Remender didn't feel the need to directly reference that cringeworthy awkward moment from Fallen Sun about
RoguexSentry

Can anyone tell me what the hell is going on at the end of New Avengers? Is it tied to Guardians or something?

I suspect the

team split?

Martian Manhunter
Firestorm
Cyborg
Atom
Element Woman
Green Arrow
Question

Batman's Justice League:
Katana
Steve Trevor
Catwoman
Phantom Stranger
Vibe
Flash
Green Lantern

Zatanna
Deadman
Stargirl
Aquaman
Hawkman
Frankenstein
Black Orchid

One thing you are forgetting though is
despero's chess piece of Superman was stolen. Someone is using it to control him

tim1138

I suspect the

team split?

Martian Manhunter
Firestorm
Cyborg
Atom
Element Woman
Green Arrow
Question

Batman's Justice League:
Katana
Steve Trevor
Catwoman
Phantom Stranger
Vibe
Flash
Green Lantern

Zatanna
Deadman
Stargirl
Aquaman
Hawkman
Frankenstein
Black Orchid

That kind of blew my mind, but doesn't explain the
chess piece

You can also use Xanadu's comments to solve a couple other mysteries:

It wasn't the Outsider, but Owlman who broke into the Batcave to steal the kryptonite ring, and not to use against Supes but to power up Ultraman. The hacking of the Watchtower (and likely Belle in Suicide Squad) was carried out by the Crime Syndicate version of Cyborg.

In JLDark, I loved Stargirl's reasoning for
joining Diana. "C'mon, it's Wonder Woman!" It reminded me of the story in WW #600 where Diana rounded up all the female heroes and how in awe a lot of them were to fight with her.

Lombaszko

Jonah Hex is the best DC book.

You're not wrong. There hasn't been an issue I've not liked, at least from the main story. Plus, I'm pretty sure the same creative team has been on this book for 22 issues now! I don't think any other New 52 title has done that. #22 this week is great!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom