• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| July 2013. Celebrate liberty with the ultimate patriotic superhero.

Status
Not open for further replies.

tim1138

Didn't you guys dread Trinity War expecting it to be terrible?

I can't speak for anyone else, but I've been hyped for it since the FCBD preview last year.

This month's issue of the Flash has saved it from being dropped, for now at least. I still really hate the new Reverse Flash (especially the costume, ugh), but at least the story went somewhere this issue.

Aquaman continued its monthly excellence, it's probably the most consistently good book DC is publishing.

Green Team was solid, I really hope this book gets a chance to find its niche and audience.

20, 30, or however many years ago who would have though that Aquaman would be consistently amazing for close to 2 years now. Seriously if you told my teenage self that I'd be loving Aquaman and anticipating each issue I'd have called you fucking crazy.

kswiston

20, 30, or however many years ago who would have though that Aquaman would be consistently amazing for close to 2 years now. Seriously if you told my teenage self that I'd be loving Aquaman and anticipating each issue I'd have called you fucking crazy.

Geoff Johns has a pretty good track record, especially on solo books.

Marvel Comics
Captain America #9
Gambit #15
Hawkeye Annual #1
Journey Into Mystery #654
New Avengers #8
Uncanny Avengers #10
Wolverine and the X-Men #33
Young Avengers #8

Image Comics
Lazarus #2

IDW Comics
Rocketeer/Spirit: Pulp Friction #1

Other Publishers
Previews #299

tim1138

Geoff Johns doing what he does best, revitalizing characters no one cared about.

Meme Generator notwithstanding, this made me crack up.

0NxHfxq.jpg

Nah. My favorite Batman was just after he came back from the "dead" and was in the grey/white uniform. He was complete Bruce for a short time before they rebooted everything.

He even cracked jokes, he didn't let things bother him, he spent time with his family and Selina and didn't obsess over crime. Everything else since thing has seemed like reverting back to fucked up in the head and worse Bruce.

Disappointed as hell because it was like actually watching him grow and develop even more as a character, and that's amazing because it's fucking Batman. Real growth, not just plot twisty, run through the wringer BS.

yea I was bummed he was gone with the reboot

Me! everyones playing catch up. I took my Aquaman toy swimming with me all the time too. Damn I could have been Geoff Johns showing people..I should have learned to do comics.

ElNarez

Banned
I'm certain Kieron Gillen overhyped the last page of today's Young Avengers #8 so he could sneak in another, way harder-hitting page that may actually have led to me saying Holy Shit.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
It's the future. Shit's fucked up. The Killjoys, who are just MCR but in fancy outfits, are dead as fuck. Now it's up to MCR fans across the wasteland to fight the evil megacorporation. Also, Grant Morrison is a gay hitman.

You missed the down-on-their-luck robot hookers!

kswiston

Looks like New Avengers #8 ties in pretty heavily to Infinity for those of you not following the book but interested in that event.

Also New Avengers #8 spoilers:

Was that the Living Tribunal's corpse that was being inspected by Tony and the Watcher? Big things are definitely going down.

Owzers

Is Runaways good? I am about to head to the comic shop to pick up that and Y the last mans first trade.

very good through Vaughan's run..but it might be best to end there. Whedon then came on for six issues that was decent, but i didn't like anything that followed.

Owzers

and Y the last man. I kept hearing that was good.

If the premise sounds good to you, i'd get it. I liked it and ended up buying the 5 deluxe hardcover volumes, but it is definitely as advertised and if you weren't really sold on it i don't think the content will change your mind.

So who's going to be reading comics on the new Nexus 7???????????

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Just read the Hawkeye annual, wasn't sure I was going to enjoy it because it was all Kate and no Aja, but it was actually pretty great. Really fun little story. Interested to see where it all goes.

frye

Just read the Hawkeye annual, wasn't sure I was going to enjoy it because it was all Kate and no Aja, but it was actually pretty great. Really fun little story. Interested to see where it all goes.

I still like the book but I think Clint's boring white dude problems are getting real old now so Kate's West Coast Adventure drawn by Javier! Pulido! will hopefully excite the hell outta me.

RoguexThor
? I approve, Rick (uncanny avengers)

Oh man, I actually kind of love
love polygons
. UA is the soap opera-iest goddamn book.

I still like the book but I think Clint's boring white dude problems are getting real old now so Kate's West Coast Adventure drawn by Javier! Pulido! will hopefully excite the hell outta me.

This reminds me to tell you why I don't like Hawkeye. Everyone loves it so I read the first issue and thought is was gross. The handsome blonde hero dude saves the poor people and black family from the evil Eastern European (iirc) gangsters. And aw, he cares about the dog, but doesn't want to admit it! Retch. I know, I know. Ban forthcoming.

Also, Sillymonkey, with all we've heard of your collections, you should drop a pic of your bookshelf sometime.

kmfdmpig

just ordered a nook hd+ at staples online since i saw a $30 off discount code on slickdeals. Code is 41178 :O Coupon is supposed to be for any tablet too. expires 7/28 but who knows. Two days before nexus 7 :( Came to $119 + tax.

I might return it and get the new nexus 7 though :O

http://slickdeals.net/f/6168852-Staples-Coupon-Take-an-extra-30-OFF-all-Tablets-Expires-7-28-13-Online-and-In-Store?

Nook hd+is godly for comics. Perfect size screen plus a card equals perfection for comics.

Acid08

Banned
This reminds me to tell you why I don't like Hawkeye. Everyone loves it so I read the first issue and thought is was gross. The handsome blonde hero dude saves the poor people and black family from the evil Eastern European (iirc) gangsters. And aw, he cares about the dog, but doesn't want to admit it! Retch. I know, I know. Ban forthcoming.
Oh jeez. Glad none of this ever occurred to me or I might hate things too.

...Did we read the same comic? I see similar characters that appeared in what you listed but I don't recall that stuff happening.

All I read was about a guy, who happens to be blonde, listen to a bunch of people who were almost kicked out of their homes and decided to do something about it. He has his own money and decides to be a good guy and buy the building to save the people's homes - which includes his own. Beats up the tracksuits, saves a dog and ends up keeping the dog since the dog getting hurt was sort of his fault.

But hey, good of you to drop the series after one issue because that's what it's all about apparently.

...Anyways I picked up the Hawkeye Annual #1 this morning via Comixology but haven't read it yet. Floppies will be got this evening after work.

Mafro

Looks like New Avengers #8 ties in pretty heavily to Infinity for those of you not following the book but interested in that event.

Also New Avengers #8 spoilers:

Was that the Living Tribunal's corpse that was being inspected by Tony and the Watcher? Big things are definitely going down.
It was indeed. Shit just got real.

frye

...Did we read the same comic? I see similar characters that appeared in what you listed but I don't recall that stuff happening.

All I read was about a guy, who happens to be blonde, listen to a bunch of people who were almost kicked out of their homes and decided to do something about it. He has his own money and decides to be a good guy and buy the building to save the people's homes - which includes his own. Beats up the tracksuits, saves a dog and ends up keeping the dog since the dog getting hurt was sort of his fault.

But hey, good of you to drop the series after one issue because that's what it's all about apparently.

...Anyways I picked up the Hawkeye Annual #1 this morning via Comixology but haven't read it yet. Floppies will be got this evening after work.

Eh, there's nothing wrong with interpreting subtext differently than other people do... I don't necessarily agree but I can see the reasoning behind it.

JJD

New Avengers spoilers

Man Wakanda is full of shit. Atlantis didn't attack then, Namor under the influence of the Phoenix did.

Namor is the one who should pay for the destruction of Wakanda, not innocent atlanteans.

Vibranium

Banned
Cap #9 was mint as usual, I'm really curious as to whether Steve and Sharon will be done after this or not, hoping they are so I can see him with someone else (yes, I've never been a big fan even through Brubaker's run, so sue me). I'm super curious as to what the final issue in Dimension Z will be like after the most recent events,
will Jet want to continue Zola's work and battle Cap/the world by releasing the Z-virus? I personally hope she gets out of this at least as an antihero or something like that, I feel like she'd be a great supporting character. And I guess Ian is dead, but in comics if you don't see the final body shot that means nothing.

At any rate, Cap's PTSD is at danger levels right now, Zola outmatched Red Skull in terms of mind-fucking.

Loved Hawklady Annual 1 by the way, I thought Pulido was pretty good in a lot of panels, and the story was excellent. I guess we can officially add Madame Masque to Kate's mini rogues gallery now?

Eh, there's nothing wrong with interpreting subtext differently than other people do... I don't necessarily agree but I can see the reasoning behind it.

Nah, I get what they're saying but at the same time, I'm not a fan of dismissing something after just one issue unless said issue is inherently bad.

I've dropped some series after having bought the first issue but read through at least the second or third issue before denouncing it completely.

So Trinity War part 3 spoilers.
Who do you think is the mole? Is it in the core Justice League or any of the teams? Obvious choice is Catwoman if all teams are considered. Almost too predictable though. hmmmmm

tim1138

So Trinity War part 3 spoilers.
Who do you think is the mole? Is it in the core Justice League or any of the teams? Obvious choice is Catwoman if all teams are considered. Almost too predictable though. hmmmmm

I'm going with the same person I've thought all along:
Waller. I would absolutely love it if she was an advance scout/ infiltrator from Earth-3 for the Crime Syndicate. It'd make sense, she sows the seeds of discord between the Leagues to create an environment suitable for the Society and Syndicate to take over

-edit-

Newsarama interview with Ivan Reis:

http://www.newsarama.com/18486-trinity-war-artist-ivan-reis-shares-his-goals-with-readers.html

I'm going with the same person I've thought all along:
Waller. I would absolutely love it if she was an advance scout/ infiltrator from Earth-3 for the Crime Syndicate. It'd make sense, she sows the seeds of discord between the Leagues to create an environment suitable for the Society and Syndicate to take over

-edit-

Newsarama interview with Ivan Reis:

http://www.newsarama.com/18486-trinity-war-artist-ivan-reis-shares-his-goals-with-readers.html

Gonna take my mind some time to grasp mutiple worlds and stuff just starting out in comics. lol

Messi

So they only had Whedon runaways stuff so I took the advice and left them there.

I did end up buying the paperbacks of:

Wonder Woman: Blood Vol 1
Batman: Court of Owls Vol 1
Batgirl: The Darkest Reflection Vol 1
Chew: International Flavour Vol 2

Did I get good stuff? I have not read any of them, but Chew Vol 1 was great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom