• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| July 2013. Celebrate liberty with the ultimate patriotic superhero.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ReiGun

All the green and black text boxes in the first two issues, its does not seem to reference whats going on.

The sun guy in the first page or so, I have no idea what he is at the with floating women who are talking nonsense.

I am also confused about the relationships between the characters.
Hermes, Hades (did I see hades) Wonder Woman, Her mother is another mother?

I read the first two issues, but I think I will have to go back again and read them,

Sun guy was the god Apollo and the black text boxes are his. The three women were the oracles, and the green text boxes were them giving Apollo a prophecy for the future (not just this issue, but the entire series).

If you the tall purple woman, that's Strife. If you mean the one in the peacock dress, that reveal is coming.

I could expand, but that would be spoilers. Either way, keep reading.

just finished Aquaman Vol. 2!

Pretty damn great in the end, so about a "the Others" spinoff series... was that just rumors then or is there anything to it?

Man, that would be pretty awesome if it were to happen, Prisoner and Operative were pretty cool characters, hell all of em were!!

tim1138

just finished Aquaman Vol. 2!

Pretty damn great in the end, so about a "the Others" spinoff series... was that just rumors then or is there anything to it?

Man, that would be pretty awesome if it were to happen, Prisoner and Operative were pretty cool characters, hell all of em were!!

Speculation based off of their being an Others one shot issue a month or so back and the upcoming Aquaman annual be Others focused.

Oh an annual... well better than nothing i guess :)

Also, can anyone explain to me what exactly Black Manta's "powers" are? I somehow didn't figure that out quite yet, i mean sure he's got his helmet with some kind of "optics" tech that lets it shoot rays, but other than that?

ReiGun

Oh an annual... well better than nothing i guess :)

Also, can anyone explain to me what exactly Black Manta's "powers" are? I somehow didn't figure that out quite yet, i mean sure he's got his helmet with some kind of "optics" tech that lets it shoot rays, but other than that?

His suit grants him enhanced strength and durability, which is why Aquaman doesn't flatten him when they fight. There's also the optics like you said, and the obvious ability to breathe underwater and move in the ocean depths. And...that's it.

Owzers

Mystique is up to no good
young Cyclops is tired of people treating him like current cyclops
Jean Grey tries to come to terms with her powers and what's happened in the future
Beast and young beast make random remarks

Guess what All New X-Men issue i'm talking about?

All of them. I'd spoil this book for each and every one of you if anything actually happened that could be spoiled.

Mystique is up to no good
young Cyclops is tired of people treating him like current cyclops
Jean Grey tries to come to terms with her powers and what's happened in the future
Beast and young beast make random remarks

Guess what All New X-Men issue i'm talking about?

All of them. I'd spoil this book for each and every one of you if anything actually happened that could be spoiled.

Cut it out. You're getting me all hyped for the upcoming Battle of the Atom crossover event that nobody is talking about.

His suit grants him enhanced strength and durability, which is why Aquaman doesn't flatten him when they fight. There's also the optics like you said, and the obvious ability to breathe underwater and move in the ocean depths. And...that's it.

wow that is pretty...disappointing, so he CAN breathe underwater though just like Arthur can hmm, but essentially without his suit he's toast then? Kinda sounds like Batman without the smarts.

Also: Is the Cap by Remender everyone's loving here, "cast away in dimension Z"? Just saw that Vol 1 is out in TPBs here, tempted to grab it!

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
wow that is pretty...disappointing, so he CAN breathe underwater though just like Arthur can hmm, but essentially without his suit he's toast then? Kinda sounds like Batman without the smarts.

Also: Is the Cap by Remender everyone's loving here, "cast away in dimension Z"? Just saw that Vol 1 is out in TPBs here, tempted to grab it!

Yes it is. Buy that volume, it's part 1 of the story. It's SO DAMN GOOD.

ReiGun

I meant he needs the suit to breathe underwater. Without it, he's pretty much a normal guy with combat training, access to high tech weaponry, and higher than average intelligence. So yeah...like Batman. lol

And buy that new Cap trade nao!

I meant he needs the suit to breathe underwater. Without it, he's pretty much a normal guy with combat training, access to high tech weaponry, and higher than average intelligence. So yeah...like Batman. lol

And buy that new Cap trade nao!

He sucks even worse than i thought then lol ;)

Yeah, i bought it just now!

Spoiler: Joker gets his face cut off and it makes no sense. There, just saved you a dollar and having to read something by Tony Daniel.

Actually, I take the piss but beware of Tony Daniel. Inexperienced readers will confuse his fairly decent artwork with there also being the possibility of a good story in there too. But there's not, trust me. It's just the blandest most predictable crap I've read for years. Stick to the Snyder for now.

I actually remember somewhat enjoying Battle for the Cowl back when I started reading comics again in 2011, and that book is totes mediocre so you're on point

ReiGun

Battle for the Cowl felt like such a waste of time. Just issue after issue of everyone telling Dick "Get in the damn suit" Gendou Ikari style. Oh and Jason is killing criminals cause that's what he does, I guess.

Tony Daniel said something I think along the lines of that he wanted to make Jason a straight up villain with no gray area. I think he's also the one who made Riddler a bad guy again, so I guess he just likes making things bland

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Tony Daniel said something I think along the lines of that he wanted to make Jason a straight up villain with no gray area. I think he's also the one who made Riddler a bad guy again, so I guess he just likes making things bland

That was so awful, undo years of subtle storytelling that was going in an interesting direction with "BOOM, explosion" followed by a one-dimensional maniacal laugh.

Hagi

Hey guys need a little help i've been out of the DC loop for a long time and i'd like to get back in. Only thing i've been reading is Batman which apart from a few drops has been largely fantastic and now Batman/Superman.
Are there any series you could recommend where i don't have to start from issue 1? I'm open to any suggestions, apart from Batman i don't really have ties to any DC characters.

Is anyone still reading Swamp Thing? If so, how's it been since Soule took over?

I'm enjoying it. I liked what Snyder started with, and his concepts/ideas but everything just took way too fucking long for a pay off. So far things seem to move a long a bit quicker.

Hey guys need a little help i've been out of the DC loop for a long time and i'd like to get back in. Only thing i've been reading is Batman which apart from a few drops has been largely fantastic and now Batman/Superman.
Are there any series you could recommend where i don't have to start from issue 1? I'm open to any suggestions, apart from Batman i don't really have ties to any DC characters.

I think it would be kind of hard for any of the good books to just jump into them right now. You're in the middle of Trinity War in the Justice League books, Aquaman is in the middle of a story line, as is Animal Man, Wonder Woman, Flash and the Green Lantern books.

I'd say you could jump onto Superman/Batman since only 2 issues are out, and same with Superman Unchained. You kind of could jump into GL starting with each books number 21 issue (so again only 2 back issues really).

I would personally say go back to issue 1 with Aquaman and read the whole damn thing, it's damn good. WW is in the middle of a long (as in multi fucking year arc) so you'd have to go back to the beginning with that I think.

There's Swamp Thing you could definitely jump into that with like issue 21 or 22 I think.

I'm sure others could suggest some other stuff.

ReiGun

You can start at Issue 17 with Green Arrow. I also recently started Supergirl at issue 20 and that's been good. The Movement is a really good series that's only at issue 3 atm.

Other than that, you'd have to start everything else I'm reading at the first issue. Well, except Trinity War (Justice League 22, JL of America 6, and Justice League Dark) like Shin said.

tim1138

You can start all the Lantern books at issue 21, same with Swamp Thing, Green Arrow at 17, Pandora just started this month... that's all I can think off the top of my head. Everything else is pretty much in the middle of big stories. I do suggest reading the entire run of Aquaman though, it's freaking great.

Hagi

You can start at Issue 17 with Green Arrow. I also recently started Supergirl at issue 20 and that's been good. The Movement is a really good series that's only at issue 3 atm.

Other than that, you'd have to start everything else I'm reading at the first issue. Well, except Trinity War (Justice League 22, JL of America 6, and Justice League Dark) like Shin said.

Green Arrow sounds like a good idea i have for the most part enjoyed Arrow so i'll give the comic a whirl. I might dip into Trinity you guys sound like you are having fun with it and the last (good) DC event i read was Sinestro Corps.

Thanks for the help guys much appreciated! As for the Aquaman shouts i actually think i have the first trade sitting around somewhere so i'll add that to the top of the list.

Out of interest how is the new Constantine book? i always liked Hellblazer and was wondering how they transitioned the character into the fold.

Owzers

Which one was that?

first issue of trinity war. I'm now going back to my original lonely plan of waiting for the first three issues to drop a buck on comixology before jumping in. There's no way i'm going to care about trinity war by the time the trade comes out.

Messi

I feel sorry for Harley Quinn in suicide squad
when they tell her joker is dead, granted he is not dead but.. I still feel bad.

first issue of trinity war. I'm now going back to my original lonely plan of waiting for the first three issues to drop a buck on comixology before jumping in. There's no way i'm going to care about trinity war by the time the trade comes out.

You probably won't care about it two weeks from now. ;)

Green Arrow sounds like a good idea i have for the most part enjoyed Arrow so i'll give the comic a whirl. I might dip into Trinity you guys sound like you are having fun with it and the last (good) DC event i read was Sinestro Corps.

Thanks for the help guys much appreciated! As for the Aquaman shouts i actually think i have the first trade sitting around somewhere so i'll add that to the top of the list.

Out of interest how is the new Constantine book? i always liked Hellblazer and was wondering how they transitioned the character into the fold.

To be honest, I've never read Hellblazer. Constantine has served as my introduction to the character. I'm enjoying Ray Fawkes writing and the art. Only five issues have been released so far and #5 tied into Trinity War in an interesting fashion, with
Constantine stealing Shazam's powers and becoming a temporary host for the lightning.
It's a solid book unfortunately taking a bad rap for the cancellation of Hellblazer.

Aquaman is top tier. He has quickly become one of my favourite DC characters. Johns has done the impossible and completely revitalised the character. It's definitely a run worth reading from the beginning, though there have been several jumping on points so far. Trinity War is the most fun I've had event-wise in some time. You can easily jump straight in without having read much else and still have an understanding of what's unfolding.

Is anyone still reading Swamp Thing? If so, how's it been since Soule took over?

I'm enjoying Swamp Thing more than I ever did under Snyder. The art and writing has been taken to a new level, it's a beautiful book. The arcs are shorter as well, making it easier to read and more focused.

Who is reading Army of Darkness VS Hack/Slash? How much fun is this book, huh? Full on humour and drama. The writing and dialogue for Ash (and to a lesser extent the art) is pitch perfect. This mini will rock.

I read Lobster Johnson and I do not recommend it to people who do not know this world of Hellboy or BPRD. I don't and was all wuzzat? the whole time. Nice art?

Lazarus freaking rocks, man! You do not know how excited I am for this series! Issue 2 was hot fiya.

I haven't had a chance to read JLD 22 yet, because everywhere local was sold out by the time I was able to leave work, but have any of you read Constantine 5? In it, Constantine refers to Pandora's box as
a "global bomb" or "world bomb" (I don't remember the specific term used off-hand), and warned Shazam not to touch it, or else he would trigger it.
So, if you haven't read Constantine, that might change how you're thinking about the box; if you have read it, then you can ignore my input.

I read Constantine #5 as well. Completely forgot about Constantine's warning. think it's important to consider
Zatanna's distrust of Constantine and her own warning to do the opposite of what he says.
In the build-up to Trinity War, I speculated Shazam would be
the one destined to open the box, as pure of heart
. It's likely Constantine is
manipulating Shazam into doing just that

Ohh man totally forgot about Jessica Cruz. Makes sense for her to be their Power Ring, hopefully his changing her to a hero doesn't lead to her hanging around Earth Prime. No more Earth based GLs for a long time please!

So Forever Evil is basically going to be Earth 3 Crime Syndicate taking over Earth Prime. Going to be some good shit.

I actually hope
Jessica Cruz is Power Ring and does remain on Prime Earth after the conclusion of Forever Evil.
There's so much more potential story-wise, than her just being another Corps member. Forever Evil is definitely going to involve the
Crime Syndicate assuming control of Prime Earth.
It does explain why JLA: Earth 2 is solicited for an October re-release,
to tie-in with Forever Evil and take advantage of increased interest in the Crime Syndicate.

tim1138

Thanks for the Swampy feedback, I love the character but was bored to tears by Snyder's run, the pacing was just so god awful slow. Sounds like the recent issues are worth checking out at least. Based on everyone raving about it, sounds like I'm to be adding Superman/Batman as well...

oh damn Batman Superman was sexy

..I think I might go get Constantine but I was indifferent to the first one. Not out of hate that it wasn't Hellblazer because I liked the movie enough...hmmm

It's definitely a toned down version of the character compared to Hellblazer, still good though.

I read Constantine #5 as well. Completely forgot about Constantine's warning. think it's important to consider
Zatanna's distrust of Constantine and her own warning to do the opposite of what he says.
In the build-up to Trinity War, I speculated Shazam would be
the one destined to open the box, as pure of heart
. It's likely Constantine is
manipulating Shazam into doing just that

Yeah I the key here is that
you never trust Constantine at face value. I mean hell the key plot behind that issue basically tells you that. He's just not to be trusted at all.

I actually hope
Jessica Cruz is Power Ring and does remain on Prime Earth after the conclusion of Forever Evil.
There's so much more potential story-wise, than her just being another Corps member. Forever Evil is definitely going to involve the
Crime Syndicate assuming control of Prime Earth.
It does explain why JLA: Earth 2 is solicited for an October re-release,
to tie-in with Forever Evil and take advantage of increased interest in the Crime Syndicate.

I'm not going to disagree with that, because yes it would open up a lot of story potential because she's not just another Corps member. I will totally give you that, I just can't take any more new GLs being from Earth in the Prime universe. I want some damn more alien characters damn it.

I'm psyched to see where Trinity War and Forever Evil takes us. I tell you though after reading Flash 22 today I don't think the Reverse Flash is Johnny Quick. I can't obviously say for sure, but something about it, just didn't click with that idea for me. We shall see though!

tim1138

It's definitely a toned down version of the character compared to Hellblazer, still good though.

Yeah I the key here is that
you never trust Constantine at face value. I mean hell the key plot behind that issue basically tells you that. He's just not to be trusted at all.

I'm not going to disagree with that, because yes it would open up a lot of story potential because she's not just another Corps member. I will totally give you that, I just can't take any more new GLs being from Earth in the Prime universe. I want some damn more alien characters damn it.

I'm psyched to see where Trinity War and Forever Evil takes us. I tell you though after reading Flash 22 today I don't think the Reverse Flash is Johnny Quick. I can't obviously say for sure, but something about it, just didn't click with that idea for me. We shall see though!

Flash 22:
Yeah I think that may have been wishful thinking on my part. I absolutely hate the new Reverse Flash and may have been reaching a bit too find something to redeem him. Unless it's like the old JLA comics where the Flash's powers can breach dimensions and the Crime Syndicate wants to eliminate anyone on Earth Prime with that ability...

Owzers

Nook HD+ owners:

Is there a little gap/space between the screen and bezel at the top right corner on your device?

mine has a little space on the right, and on the left the screen gets a little distorted in the corner when pressure is applied to the top left corner.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
I think I finally decided on another DC series to collect since you guys have good things to say about Constantine. It shouldn't be hard to get the issue or two my shop doesn't have.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom