• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| June 2014. Bringing you great father-son bonding moments since 1940.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Messi

This Ellis news would be on the same level as Nocenti taking over on Harley? I guess I understand why y'all are distraught.

So, Original Sin #3... (massive spoilers and random notes)
My (limited) understanding is that:
- while investigating the murder of a living planet, Bucky remembers he is actually the killer, he probably did it under some kind of conditioning. I'm not sure this means he's also the killer Doc Strange and the Punisher are looking for, but it is definitely possible.
- Strange/Punisher team up is best team up.
- freaked out Bucky warps to Fury and kills him. This reeks of LMD, Max Fury or something but still, it appears Bucky meant to kill the real Fury. The fact "Fury" didn't remember any secrets makes it pretty obvious it's not the real Fury. Plus, the "I never liked you" line seemed out of character.
- I guess this all took place before the current Avengers arc as I guess Steve's secret is the whole brainwashing thing from New Avengers.
- Are the 2 shadowy figures the killers? They did look like Bucky and Fury. I guess a Bucky LMD is a possibility too. There's this tank on the right next to the screen that could be used to incubate an LMD or something. The room does look like the one "Fury" is seen in but it's not the same.
- Are Midas and the others working for the killer or just taking advantage of the murder? The Orb seemed to imply that.
- I still wonder who the mysterious boss is and how he's related to the killer or the couple of shadowy guys from above.

Damn, I really hope they just didn't assassinate two of my favorite Marvel characters (Bucky and Fury).

Welp, it's a great event so far, I love the tone, premise and art but I'm a bit wary as it could all fall flat pretty quickly.

Moving on to Cap.

fauxtrot

Banned
Anyone want to make some recommendations for me? I just read Batgirl - Year One last night and loved it. I'm typically a non-cape comics kind of guy, but I'm trying to branch out with a IST order today. I'm not necessarily interested in buying anything Marvel because I want to get the most out of my Unlimited sub (although I'm still down for suggestions I can read there). I love the idea of female-lead cape books, since that's not something I've read a lot of. Story / character development / world building is my primary draw (heh) to comics, but I'm still a sucker for great art. My current favs include Prophet, BPRD, COPRA, Fear Agent, Gotham Central and more I can't think of off the top of my head.

My current IST cart looks like this:
Afterlife with Archie Vol 1
Batman: Mad Love and Other Stories
Batwoman Vol 1 Elegy / Vol 1 Hydrology
Black Beetle: No Way Out
Black Canary & Zatanna: Bloodspell
Phonogram Vol 1
Power Girl: Power Trip

I'm looking to spend about $100 - 150, so I'll probably drop one or two books but add 3+, depending on you all.

ReAxion

this must have been in last month's thread but someone posted what Ellis said in an interview, that he likes to do one short corporate project a year. completely paraphrasing from memory, tho.

probably a nice little paycheck and a fun creative exercise for him.

a friend of mine just put it this way:
oh well, I guess it frees up some cash to spend on Skottie Young’s Rocket Raccoon.

Busaiku

Is Amazing X-Men mostly standalone, like X-Men, or is it more tied into the greater X-Men stuff, like All New and Uncanny?

Zombine

Banned
Oh dear god my heart can't take all of this legitness shoved into one figure:

BMAC_RabbitHoleBatman_AF_52aa0dae651868.83829495.jpg

Messi

Anyone want to make some recommendations for me? I just read Batgirl - Year One last night and loved it. I'm typically a non-cape comics kind of guy, but I'm trying to branch out with a IST order today. I'm not necessarily interested in buying anything Marvel because I want to get the most out of my Unlimited sub (although I'm still down for suggestions I can read there). I love the idea of female-lead cape books, since that's not something I've read a lot of. Story / character development / world building is my primary draw (heh) to comics, but I'm still a sucker for great art. My current favs include Prophet, BPRD, COPRA, Fear Agent, Gotham Central and more I can't think of off the top of my head.

Phonogram Vol 1

I'm looking to spend about $100 - 150, so I'll probably drop one or two books but add 3+, depending on you all.

Catwoman vol 1 by Brubaker
Harley Quinn vol 1 preludes and knock knock jokes (it's from a few years back but is full of classic harley goodness)

But you have 3 books that I love on there already. Power Girl, Mad Love and Batwoman.

Btw don't drop any of those books. It's a fantastic list thus far.

fauxtrot

Banned
Catwoman vol 1 by Brubaker
Harley Quinn vol 1 preludes and knock knock jokes (it's from a few years back but is full of classic harley goodness)

But you have 3 books that I love on there already. Power Girl, Mad Love and Batwoman.

Btw don't drop any of those books. It's a fantastic list thus far.

Thanks, I'll definitely keep those in mind, if I don't end up including them. Is it weird that I thought to myself "Damn, I get why Messi loves this stuff!" about halfway through Batgirl: Year One?

I love Gotham Central, so I'm definitely looking to add more Brubaker and/or Rucka to my list!

Messi

Thanks, I'll definitely keep those in mind, if I don't end up including them. Is it weird that I thought to myself "Damn, I get why Messi loves this stuff!" about halfway through Batgirl: Year One?

I love Gotham Central, so I'm definitely looking to add more Brubaker and/or Rucka to my list!

Batgirl Year One is amazing.

Brubakers Catwoman is easily the best run on Catwoman. It is a noir Catwoman story and it is a character defining book. If you love Brubaker you need this.

75% of my favorite titles are female led books. I just enjoy them more. I would never willing recommend a bad book to someone making an order.

tim1138

Phonogram Vol 1

Both Bloodspell and Phonogram are phenomenal.

Zombine

Banned
Batgirl Year One is amazing.

Brubakers Catwoman is easily the best run on Catwoman. It is a noir Catwoman story and it is a character defining book. If you love Brubaker you need this.

75% of my favorite titles are female led books. I just enjoy them more. I would never willing recommend a bad book to someone making an order.

Batgirl Year One and Brubaker's Catwoman are two of the best books DC ever released. I would say that my percentage of favorite titles lead by women is about the same. I enjoy it when someone really grasps a female character and makes a book more than just dudes solving problems with their fists. I enjoy it when the "underdog" outsmarts some big brutish dude and wins. They make for amazing superheroes and great role models.

Voror

Well, at least I can get his whole run in one trade. Unless Marvel pulls some crap and puts only 4 or 5 of his six issues and saves the last for the second trade.

fauxtrot

Banned
Where do I jump in with Batwoman? I see that there are two "Vol 1"s (Elegy & Hydrology), but I'm pretty sure Elegy is first. If I'm correct about that, is there anything else I should read prior to Elegy? I have next to no knowledge about the DC universe of that time period.

Also, I'm assuming THIS is the correct starting point for Brubaker's Catwoman. Is "The Dark End of the Street" an OGN or is it just an older version of the collected run? I can't seem to find out what issues that one contains...

Thanks for putting up with the DC newbness, guys. :)

Messi

Where do I jump in with Batwoman? I see that there are two "Vol 1"s (Elegy & Hydrology), but I'm pretty sure Elegy is first. If I'm correct about that, is there anything else I should read prior to Elegy? I have next to no knowledge about the DC universe of that time period.

Also, I'm assuming THIS is the correct starting point for Brubaker's Catwoman. Is "The Dark End of the Street" an OGN or is it just an older version of the collected run? I can't seem to find out what issues that one contains...

Thanks for putting up with the DC newbness, guys. :)

The first link is the right one, the second link is an older trade. The first link is the first of 3 trades. I believe that covers the entire run.

start with Elegy it links right into the main run and is really good. They are still dealing with stuff from that book now. Also it has stunning art and panel work of the gods.

I hold nothing against anyone that decides to drop Moon Knight after #6. For me personally, it just dropped from "pull" status to "flip through" status on this news alone.

What I picked up today includes this week's and last's:

Marvel Comics
Amazing X-Men #8
Amazing X-Men Annual #1
Avengers #30
Black Widow #7
Captain America #21
Cyclops #2
Loki Agent of Asgard #5
Iron Fist The Living Weapon #3
Moon Knight #4
Ms Marvel #4
Uncanny Avengers #20

DC Comics
Batman '66 Meets Green Hornet #1
Justice League 3000 #7
Tiny Titans Return to the Treehouse #1

Image Comics
Deadly Class #5
Sex #13
Trees #1

Other Publishers
Big Trouble in Little China #1 (Boom!)
Princess Ugg #1 (Oni) - I better not be the only one!

Also received my copy of She-Hulk by Dan Slott: The Complete Collection vol. 02 in the mail today.

Where do I jump in with Batwoman? I see that there are two "Vol 1"s (Elegy & Hydrology), but I'm pretty sure Elegy is first. If I'm correct about that, is there anything else I should read prior to Elegy? I have next to no knowledge about the DC universe of that time.
Start with Elegy then you can go straight into the new 52 series. It's a great series.

Def Jukie

I haven't really read a lot of comics since I was a kid in the early to mid 90s and have been wanting to start reading them again. I used to really enjoy old X-Men comics so I decided to check out the Uncanny X-Force omnibus because I had heard good things and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Anyway, I'm trying to find out if any of Rick Remender's other works are worth checking out. I'm thinking about picking up Fear Agent. Good call? Anything else I should check by him? I'm aware that Uncanny Avengers picks up where X-Force left off but I'm looking for something different right now.

Messi

I haven't really read a lot of comics since I was a kid in the early to mid 90s and have been wanting to start reading them again. I used to really enjoy old X-Men comics so I decided to check out the Uncanny X-Force omnibus because I had heard good things and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Anyway, I'm trying to find out if any of Rick Remender's other works are worth checking out. I'm thinking about picking up Fear Agent. Good call? Anything else I should check by him? I'm aware that Uncanny Avengers picks up where X-Force left off but I'm looking for something different right now.

We all seem to love Deadly Class and Black Science.

Deadly Class is really great, and the first volume of Black Science just came out pretty recently.

I only read one trade of his Venom series but I really enjoyed that too.

bfwings55

So guys I'm reading All-New X-Men and Uncanny X-Men and like those intertwining stories.

Which is better though: Cyclops or Magneto? I'd like to read both eventually but I don't have the funds to add every series I want to read lol.

Messi

So guys I'm reading All-New X-Men and Uncanny X-Men and like those intertwining stories.

Which is better though: Cyclops or Magneto? I'd like to read both eventually but I don't have the funds to add every series I want to read lol.

Magneto has been really....violent. It's been really good and I am eager to see where it is going.

Furyous

Ultimate Spider-Man 2:

SHIT JUST GOT REAL.

Norman is loose and about to screw up Miles' life. He'll have him in public schools by issue eight. WATCH IT HAPPEN.

How does Miles get his web shooters back? I can't wait for this discovery. Bendis could've screwed up everything by having the clone pop up during Peter's memorial party.

Fear Agent is pretty damn awesome.

I'm curious what other IPs that Archie Comics owns could be twisted into a horror-oriented tale. You have Afterlife with Archie, a dark, pulpy apocalyptic zombie tale. Sabrina, a chilling period piece/coming of age tale about witchcraft and the occult. What else?

Is it just... Josie and the Pussycats?

I'm curious what other IPs that Archie Comics owns could be twisted into a horror-oriented tale. You have Afterlife with Archie, a dark, pulpy apocalyptic zombie tale. Sabrina, a chilling period piece/coming of age tale about witchcraft and the occult. What else?

Sonic, where all his friends die grisly deaths. I would buy ten copies.

bernardobri

Steve, the dog with no powers that we let hang out with us all for some reason

Josie and the Pussycats meets That Thing You Do.

sca2511

I just finished Batwoman Elegy last night and WOW, freaking amazing. The story, the art. I absolutely loved it.

That's hard. They are both top-tier, but I would say Cyclops edges it out. Magneto has slightly better art though.

Messi

Batwoman is so good. It's just a shame editorial was so much against the
marriage
idea. It's the next logical step in character development for Kate.

Why do that when you can
drag her and Maggie through hell and hanging their relationship over our heads at every second with a will they won't they dynamic. It's a shame though because we know they won't because dc have their heads planted so far up their asses

I love Batwomans costume.

Edit: I really like that in the current Batwoman issues they have begun to
soften Kate as a character and make her less aggressive in how she deals with Maggie. Sometimes during the previous run she was an outright dickhead to her.

Avengers World was pretty good. I still feel the book is a bit light in content but Caselli is pretty great and it actually answered a question that Hickman's S.H.I.E.L.D. implied:
The Shield in the West, the Spear in the East. Now, we know S.P.E.A.R. is a thing and it looks pretty good. I hope they turn it into one of these token foreign teams/agencies that are mentioned once every 3 years. The premise that a Chinese S.H.I.E.L.D. equivalent would rise and not be jingoistic assholes is pretty good.

Also, they have fucking Sun Wu Kong.

Messi

Cyclops is OG-Claremont/Morrison/MilliganX-Statix/Carey tier. The best comic being published right now and probably this decade.

My goodness the hyperbole we throw around here is sometimes is something else. Nowhere else comes close. I feel like each wednesday we are getting at least one book that is called the best book of our time ect. Lol. I love it.

Harley Quinn #7 will replace Harley Quinn #2 as the best comic of the last decade this month. Believe.

My goodness the hyperbole we throw around here is sometimes is something else. Nowhere else comes close. I feel like each wednesday we are getting at least one book that is called the best book of our time ect. Lol. I love it.

This place runs on #BirdieHype, the energy substance that fuels you through every Wednesday, because this Wednesday is the greatest Wednesday OF! ALL! TIME!

fauxtrot

Banned
So, I read the God Hates Astronauts trade from Image last night and I really didn't care for it. Maybe I just wasn't in the right mood or something, but I thought the jokes fell pretty flat and most of the pop-culture references felt uninspired. I got most of them before getting to the appendix (where he points them out), but throwing them in there without a clever twist just does nothing for me. The art was decent, but the inks looked way too thick to me. Anyhow, I know it was originally a Kickstarter comic, so hopefully the creator doesn't post here. No hard feelings to the creator or anyone who thought it was amazing! Maybe it just wasn't for me?

On the bright side, I'll gladly ship it to anyone that thinks they'd enjoy it if they'll pay for postage!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom