• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| June 2014. Bringing you great father-son bonding moments since 1940.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder what's going to happen next for Captain America... Is Steve's
transformation "permanent" going forward, or are we going to see him recover shortly? The preview artwork for next issue shows him as an old man still, and the story was titled 'Super Soldier No More' but IIRC Fury and Duggan got the same treatment from Iron Nail and they recovered.
There's also the Avengers #35 cover with the 8 months later storyline.
That shows Falcon as the new Cap, and what seems to be a Serum-less Steve.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
I fucking love J.G. Jones covers.

What have you done with Doop, Kipp?

Doop had to go so that I could show solidarity alongside Ecoshifting in supporting Frank Miller's Life and Times of Martha Washington.
For some reason nobody here will read it even though it can be had for less than $10 shipped on Amazon and is one of my (and ecoshifting's) favorite comics of all time.

I might go back to Doop eventually though... I did really like that avatar. Plus, with that Allred hate a few pages back, I might need to show my support for the Allred/X-Statix crowd. Haha

The trade got a re-released, right? New reading order and everything? I might finally give it a run-through.

Yeah, it did. It's essentially the Absolute version in paperback form. It has Final Crisis 1-7, Final Crisis: Superman Beyond 1-2, Final Crisis: Submit, and the two issues from Batman that relate to Final Crisis. It also has all the bonus stuff that the Absolute Edition has.
Ironically, even though I just bought the collected edition, I have the old hardcover rather than the new TPB since I found the hardcover used for $5. It works out nicely though because the only thing it's missing from the new TPB are the two Batman issues which I already have collected in the Batman RIP deluxe edition. Well, and the Absolute Edition bonus stuff is missing, but oh well.
But yeah, I'd definitely recommend picking it up. That TPB is great value with a MSRP of $19.99 ($11.59 on IST at the moment).

Wag

tumblr_n6q2rq9kta1qh3re4o2_500.gif

Doctor Fate's helmet makes an appearance in the new NBC Constantine trailer. Sweet!

poop

Neo Member
Ironically, even though I just bought the collected edition, I have the old hardcover rather than the new TPB since I found the hardcover used for $5. It works out nicely though because the only thing it's missing from the new TPB are the two Batman issues which I already have collected in the Batman RIP deluxe edition. Well, and the Absolute Edition bonus stuff is missing, but oh well.
But yeah, I'd definitely recommend picking it up. That TPB is great value with a MSRP of $19.99 ($11.59 on IST at the moment).

Oh man I just read the amazon reviews and not sure if I want to get it since I havnt read anything related to Final Crisis.

Cheska

I think we all seem to have an affinity to superheroes who have something cat related about them. We seem to talk about Kitty Pryde a lot too haha.

Does anyone listen to Talking Comics? It's honestly my new favorite podcast, such a good cast of good people talking about fun stuff, and it also includes Stephanie Cooke, who is Bill Willingham's assistant. She's always taking about some pretty cool things about her job and sometimes even mentions the Hughes since they're pretty close to Bill I think.

Anyways, this also leads me to Fables. Has it really become this unpopular now? I know many people in here don't care for it, but you'd think it would still be something talked about on a monthly basis as well.

I think we all seem to have an affinity to superheroes who have something cat related about them. We seem to talk about Kitty Pryde a lot too haha.

Does anyone listen to Talking Comics? It's honestly my new favorite podcast, such a good hIcast of good people talking about fun stuff, and it also includes Stephanie Cooke, who is Bill Willingham's assistant. She's always taking about some pretty cool things about her job and sometimes even mentions the Hughes since they're pretty close to Bill I think.

Anyways, this also leads me to Fables. Has it really become this unpopular now? I know many people in here don't care for it, but you'd think it would still be something talked about on a monthly basis as well.

I read it in trades but still enjoy it. I don't know how often I post about it.

I still get it every month, and will get it until it ends. I feel the quality has flaked here and there, but I really enjoy the world and the characters, even if the comic itself hasn't been as good since the end of the first big arc.
The last arc with the musicians was really bad though.

I guess there would be more discussion here if more read it. Fables has been recommended around here a couple of times, but with the usual suggestion of dropping it around issue 80.

Machine

I just had a chance to read the new Miracleman #7 reprint. I found the text accompanying the sketch pages by Chuck Austen interesting. It almost felt like they were trying to rehabilitate his image.

Zombine

Banned
I got bored and bought an iPad Air. Looks like I'm going digital now. Do you think Fiona Staples will sign the back of my ipad at NYCC?

Cheska

I read it in trades but still enjoy it. I don't know how often I post about it.

I still get it every month, and will get it until it ends. I feel the quality has flaked here and there, but I really enjoy the world and the characters, even if the comic itself hasn't been as good since the end of the first big arc.
The last arc with the musicians was really bad though.

I guess there would be more discussion here if more read it. Fables has been recommended around here a couple of times, but with the usual suggestion of dropping it around issue 80.

It does appear to still be doing well in trade format.

The only good thing to come out of Fables in a long, long while is the Telltale game.
The Telltale game is fantastic! You'd think that would also bring in some newer readers trying to familiarize themselves with the lore.

Are Spider-Man: Family Buisniss and X-Men: No more Humans in the same size as Marvel OHCs?

No, not really. They're as tall, but much thinner and don't have a dust jacket. Here's a comparison picture:

Messi

Does anyone listen to Talking Comics? It's honestly my new favorite podcast, such a good cast of good people talking about fun stuff, and it also includes Stephanie Cooke, who is Bill Willingham's assistant. She's always taking about some pretty cool things about her job and sometimes even mentions the Hughes since they're pretty close to Bill I think.

Is it a coincidence that Kitty is my favourite XMan?

I got bored and bought an iPad Air. Looks like I'm going digital now. Do you think Fiona Staples will sign the back of my ipad at NYCC?

Pretty sure she wouldn't mind. See if you can get her to do a doodle of Alana on it. She seems to do that when she signs her name. :p

Also nice choice. That iPad screen is glorious. Saga looks wonderful on it.

ElNarez

Banned
I just had a chance to read the new Miracleman #7 reprint. I found the text accompanying the sketch pages by Chuck Austen interesting. It almost felt like they were trying to rehabilitate his image.

I dunno, I feel it's just giving it the proper context. Like, yeah, this guy worked with T. O. Writer before it was cool. That's huge. You don't really need to know that he pissed all the goodwill he got from that on the shittiest X-Men run of all time. (And yes I am STILL MAD that people on this very forum said that it was better than Morrison's New X-Men when literally, like, maybe, two things tops are)

Zombine

Banned
Pretty sure she wouldn't mind. See if you can get her to do a doodle of Alana on it. She seems to do that when she signs her name. :p

Also nice choice. That iPad screen is glorious. Saga looks wonderful on it.

You're the one who convinced me to get it lol. My new comic and Hearthstone machine.

Cheska

I know that this discussions comes up ALL THE TIME, but I really wish they would make digital books a little cheaper. Same goes for games as well, and pretty much all digital content. I just can't justify spending the same amount for a product that I don't physically own.

I already have an iPad, and I admit that it's easier to read on there due to the backlight, and no stress involved with storing the books, but the fact that I'm essentially paying just to indefinitely "rent" something seems absurd to me. Even if the books were only .50 cents cheaper on release day, that would still be enough to push me over the edge I think.

I justify the digital releases because they're comics that I can access anywhere there's a wifi connection. Which is a pretty nice tradeoff for me, given I don't really have space to stash a bazillion comics and certainly don't want to lug them around everywhere with me.

Kipp

I have a Nook HD+ which is high enough resolution/big enough screen to read comics on, but I just can't get into reading comics digitally. When I first started reading comics, I read digitally, but once I got to buying TPBs, I just can't read on my tablet anymore. For some reason I just can't really focus. Something about reading comics physically just works for me way better.
The odd thing is that for normal books I don't have the same issue. Reading an actual book or reading a book on my Kindle makes no difference at all to me.

Oh man I just read the amazon reviews and not sure if I want to get it since I havnt read anything related to Final Crisis.

I'm not sure I follow. Final Crisis is a completely self-contained event and all the necessary reading for Final Crisis is in the new TPB.
In other words, even if you know absolutely nothing about Final Crisis, you'll still be completely set by just buying the TPB.
I hope that allays your concerns!

Bii

I started off with trades and I'm now picking up monthly. I did my little review of the latest issue a few weeks ago and mentioned that I'll pick it up until it ends (they're at #140 now and it'll end on #150).

My collection is all over the place. I started out with trades and once I was caught up with certain books, I started to pick up the monthlies. After getting an iPad, I switched to digital and went a year or so before I took a break from comics. Of course, I came back and am now picking up monthlies (with trades for arcs that I missed out on). So...yeah.

Messi

I started off with trades and I'm now picking up monthly. I did my little review of the latest issue a few weeks ago and mentioned that I'll pick it up until it ends (they're at #140 now and it'll end on #150).

My collection is all over the place. I started out with trades and once I was caught up with certain books, I started to pick up the monthlies. After getting an iPad, I switched to digital and went a year or so before I took a break from comics. Of course, I came back and am now picking up monthlies (with trades for arcs that I missed out on). So...yeah.

Do you read all your comics while sitting at the white counter? We need to know.

Kipp

Do you read all your comics while sitting at the white counter? We need to know.

Messi, it's clearly implied that he buys the floppies, takes pictures of the full issue (on the white counter, obviously), throws the pictures he took of the floppy onto his tablet, and proceeds to read the issue on his tablet by viewing the pictures. While sitting at the white counter.

I personally think it's a bit over the top, but who am I to judge.

Zombine

Banned

I think what will end up happening is that I will continue my trade purchases, and I'll find a reason to go to the comic shop infrequently be it for a limited print book, a new #1, or a subscription/special cover. I never have a problem when it comes to trades. I love how books look on a shelf. Floppies on the other hand just stack up and I personally think having long boxes all over the place looks awful. This iPad will help keep the clutter at bay, but other than that it's business as usual.

Besides, how am I going to become a millionaire if I don't continue to pick up physical copies of Manifest Destiny and Saga?

I'm sure nobody is wondering, but my first book I'm reading through on here is my complete digital collection of Invisibles ^_^

Edit: lied! I picked Batgirl year one :)

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
If you're liking Uncanny Avengers definitely check out Uncanny X-Force by Rick Remender.

Just finished reading the whole thing. Thanks a lot for the recommendation, that was the first actual comic book 'volume' I've read and it couldn't have been a better introduction. It wasn't totally self contained, Age of Apocalypse in particular seemed extremely important to this story and I hadn't read that but I was able to still pick up on things pretty well and get up to speed. In the context of just Uncanny X-Force, the writer did such a fantastic job of maintaining character consistency. The team in issue #35 was still essentially the same as issue #1 (with one obvious exception) but they had been truly developed and you really got to know them. The members played off each other exceptionally well even as new members were introduced.

Another thing I liked was how violent it got without seeming excessive. The violence served the role of accurately portraying the abilities and combat prowess of certain characters. Wolverine and Deadpool get rekt repeatedly and it's great. Good amount of feels too. Good art.

I am so ready for Uncanny Avengers. And of course there's decades of X-Men I gotta read (have a handy guide I'll be using)

Unai

I just finished reading the first He-Man and the Masters of the Universe trade, and I'm surprised of much I liked it, both the story and the art. I only knew him from that old cartoon, so I'm no sure if the comics were always good.

I'm probably going to buy the next one sometime in the future.

Bii

I read my comics everywhere. *laughs*
The "white counter", the rug, the couch, the throne, my PC desk...whenever and wherever I get a chance.

-

The Fuse #3

14376537172_ccb7d8beb4_o.jpg

I love, love, love murder mysteries. The Fuse has had my attention since the first issue and it's still fun and interesting to read. I'm a bit behind (issue #4 is out already) but figured I'd post this up and see if anyone else is picking it up. It's set in a futuristic steel city that floats thousands of miles above Earth where it revolves around the mystery of two dead persons in a strange series of events.

14354890386_e691bec076_o.jpg
14374644231_1df284e298_o.jpg

-

And my 6/11/14 list:
Shutter #3
Bee And Puppycat #2 (if my LCS has it in)

Messi, it's clearly implied that he buys the floppies, takes pictures of the full issue (on the white counter, obviously), throws the pictures he took of the floppy onto his tablet, and proceeds to read the issue on his tablet by viewing the pictures. While sitting at the white counter.

I personally think it's a bit over the top, but who am I to judge.

Spot on.

I do the same with my digital comics. I buy the digital comics, take photos of each and every page, upload them back to my iPad, and then read them as pictures.

7033579457_989384a25b_o.jpg

Zombine

Banned
I've been using my iPad to post on here for the past few hours and it honestly feels strange going back to type on Gaf on my iPhone. What have I been doing all this time without an iPad!? Marvel Unlimited is amazing. Same goes for Viz and Comixology.

Kipp

Spot on.

I do the same with my digital comics. I buy the digital comics, take photos of each and every page, upload them back to my iPad, and then read them as pictures.

7033579457_989384a25b_o.jpg

Hahaha. Well done.

Messi

I've been using my iPad to post on here for the past few hours and it honestly feels strange going back to type on Gaf on my iPhone. What have I been doing all this time without an iPad!? Marvel Unlimited is amazing. Same goes for Viz and Comixology.

I believe Korupt reads a lot of his comics digitally on his phone. Can't imagine that being comfortable but if he enjoys it more power to him.

I'm playing Injustice on my PS4 and I'm in love with Batgirl. Her moveset is so cool.

Cheska

-

The Fuse #3

I love, love, love murder mysteries. The Fuse has had my attention since the first issue and it's still fun and interesting to read. I'm a bit behind (issue #4 is out already) but figured I'd post this up and see if anyone else is picking it up. It's set in a futuristic steel city that floats thousands of miles above Earth where it revolves around the mystery of two dead persons in a strange series of events.

I absolutely LOVE The Fuse. The unconventional protagonists especially have been a huge draw for me, but the current storyline has been incredibly interesting. I love seeing this futuristic take on the world.

Kipp

I'm playing Injustice on my PS4 and I'm in love with Batgirl. Her moveset is so cool.

You should get it on PC so that I have someone to play with!
I think I like playing as Bane, but I haven't really put many hours into it yet.
The one thing I can't stand about that game is that the inputs for the special moves seem so arbitrary which makes them hard to remember. Why can't every fighting game be like Street Fighter 3: Third Strike?

I believe Korupt reads a lot of his comics digitally on his phone. Can't imagine that being comfortable but if he enjoys it more power to him.

Why aren't we PSN friends?

Cheska

I have Injustice on PS4 too, we should all totally play!! ALSO, GrandHarrier, why in the world are you wasting your time with SO:TLH? :(

I read through a lot of digital books in April on my phone, three volumes of Empowered and the first volumes of Rat Queens and Sex Criminals. It wasn't that bad tbh.

I used to play as Black Adam and Shazam when I played Injustice. I tried out Zatanna but she wasn't very good so I dropped her. Wasn't crazy about the game overall though, I prefer stuff like Marvel vs. Capcom. I only have it on 360 (and no gold...) otherwise I'd offer to play with you guys

I have Injustice on PS4 too, we should all totally play!! ALSO, GrandHarrier, why in the world are you wasting your time with SO:TLH? :(

Played through to completion on 360 years ago and now it's time to do it again!

TRACTOR BEAM!

We all have our vices.

Like Lightning Returns.

I have Injustice on PS4. I'm kinda a big deal though.

I don't doubt you've got those Deathstroke gun combos ingrained into muscle memory.

Messi

I have no idea. I am RemyWilde on there.

I'm a total noob though. I get really nervous online playing fighting games and forget what I'm doing lol. I'm down to play though.

Need to get a mic sorted actually.

I have Injustice on PS4. I'm kinda a big deal though.

Well excuuuuuuuse me.

I just turned it off in a fit of rage. Anyone who has played it knows my anger.

FUUUUUUCK YOOOOU DEATHSTROKE.

You just know Korupt plays as Deathstroke lol. I can't play as Harley, just too hard.

Cheska

Played through to completion on 360 years ago and now it's time to do it again!

TRACTOR BEAM!

We all have our vices.

Like Lightning Returns.
So true. I love Lightning with the same force that Messi loves Nocenti Catwoman.

I have no idea. I am RemyWilde on there.

I'm a total noob though. I get really nervous online playing fighting games and forget what I'm doing lol. I'm down to play though.

Need to get a mic sorted actually.

I havent even played it since it's release so I am rusty as hell! But I would still be down to play for shits and giggles if you guys want to have a go. Just let me know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom