• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| June 2014. Bringing you great father-son bonding moments since 1940.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Eh, I'm sure he/she would still enjoy it. When I read my first comic trade (Identity Crisis), I didn't know the majority of the characters that were shown. It actually made me more interested in those characters (Deathstroke, Zatanna, Atom, just to name a few) and seek out more stories that involved them.

I know a lot of characters' backgrounds as I grew up watching the animated movies and tv shows, just never got into the comic books. I might not know many of the obscure characters though, but I can wiki them.

Yeah, I guess that works too.

Edit:
First post on new page??! Okay time to add some news.

MIKEL JANÍN Promises 'Totally Different, But Same' DICK in GRAYSON
http://www.newsarama.com/21326-mikel-janin-promises-totally-different-but-same-dick-in-grayson.html

Nrama: Most people know your art best from Justice League Dark, and you changed things up a bit in your art on that book, from the darker tones you used for Peter Milligan's story, to the super heroic flavor when Jeff Lemire changed the book a bit. We've seen a preview of what you're doing for Grayson, thanks to your pages in Nightwing #30. How would you describe the way you've changed things up for Grayson?
JanÍn: Justice League Dark was a mix between pure superheroics and dark supernaturals, and I always tried to blend these two natures graphically, moving the balance a bit, following the tone given by the different writers.
Now, we have a super action-packed book, so my style is deliberately more loose, bringing to the table elements like motion lines, small panels accelerating pace or a different use of blacks and negative space.

Nrama: You mentioned some things we'll see in your art, but can you describe any of the artistic techniques you're using in the studio while creating Grayson? What artistic tools do you use for this series?
Janín: I keep doing my art digitally, using 3D models as reference and Photoshop, with a Wacom tablet to draw the actual pages, but I'm using a totally new range of digital brushes for Grayson. The main inking brush I'm using is more "wild" — it goes a bit on its own, more like an actual ink brush. If you stay in the same place too long, the "ink" flows and stains the drawing, so I need to make quick strokes to have it under control, which translates in a more fresh style. I hope fans will like this.

Great interview questions by NRama. They asked a question to which Janin gives a BS answer. It was nothing like what he says which is utter bollocks. The colourist changed from Ulisis Arreola to Jeremy Cox which translated into Janin having to do more of the heavy lifting and losing some of the subtle yet noticeable details in the art style which were present in the first few issues of JL:D. Colorists make a hell lotta difference. Just look at David Finch on Moon Knight and compare it to Forever Evil.

On the other hand his answer to the next question above does sort of assuage my concerns about how his art looked in the later issues of JL:Dark.

Captain-America-22-Cover-b927a-2a6e5.jpg

Rick Remender talks about the future of Captain America in "The Tomorrow Soldier" (CBR)

WARNING: Interview is spoiler-heavy for last issue of Cap.

Answered some of my questions coming out of that issue, and it sounds like Rick is sticking around for a while so it's going to take some time for this to play out.

The United States of Murder Inc. #2 was really good. I am pulling this comic for now, I really like the story and I really enjoy the art. Its nothing spectacular but I like the darkness and color schemes to it and it just works for this book. Check it out y'all.
- Brian Michael Bendis and Michael Avon Oeming Creator-owned from Icon Comics (marvel)

"In this new world we're introduced to, the mob basically controls a big chunk of the United States. We see Valetine Gallo finally graduate up in the ranks, just as his father and father's father did before him. Throughout the ceremony and his first task, we slowly learn more and more about the world. We meet other characters that will play a role in the series and it's a fascinating trip. You can tell Brian Bendis has the details of this world laid out and seeing everything unfold with Oeming's art is a trip. Oeming's panel layouts keeps the story going at a nice brisk pace and you almost feel like you're there in the middle of the action. " (comic vine)

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
The United States of Murder Inc. #2 was really good. I am pulling this comic for now, I really like the story and I really enjoy the art. Its nothing spectacular but I like the darkness and color schemes to it and it just works for this book. Check it out y'all.
- Brian Michael Bendis and Michael Avon Oeming Creator-owned from Icon Comics (marvel)

Bendis and Oeming?? Well, I did love Powers. But I hated how they ran it into the ground towards the end. Choices choices...

Just finished New Avengers #19.

From the issue:
"I'm tired of waiting for the inevitable. If I must become this thing, then let it be at a time of my own choosing."

And with that, their fates are sealed. In your opinion is Namor
broken, or just the only one of them, League Society members included, to embrace the truth of reality? It seems like all of them were, like Superman Sun God, still clinging to hope and best wishes rather than accept that the unthinkable is the inevitable. "Let's put our heads together for one hour, see what we can come up with together. And, if we've got nothing after one hour, THEN let's talk about the worst case scenario (which we've already decided is that your world dies so that ours can live)."
And now I can't help but wonder how far Hickman is going to take this, if Steve's predictions from that first arc are going to come true.

Next issue is going to tell, but I think the Illuminati just walked off the edge.

From the issue:
"I'm tired of waiting for the inevitable. If I must become this thing, then let it be at a time of my own choosing."

broken, or just the only one of them, League Society members included, to embrace the truth of reality? It seems like all of them were, like Superman Sun God, still clinging to hope and best wishes rather than accept that the unthinkable is the inevitable. "Let's put our heads together for one hour, see what we can come up with together. And, if we've got nothing after one hour, THEN let's talk about the worst case scenario (which we've already decided is that your world dies so that ours can live)."
And now I can't help but wonder how far Hickman is going to take this, if Steve's predictions from that first arc are going to come true.

Next issue is going to tell, but I think the Illuminati just walked off the edge.

Between Hickman's threads and Remender's, the MU is really on some High Stakes Poker shit.

This deserves more credit than we are giving it. You guys wrote songs to accompany the book. That's pretty amazing. I'll pick up the first two issues when I get a chance.
Thanks!! Yeah not to toot my own horn but I'm actually kinda shocked and dismayed that they aren't playing it up more. When the preview came out there wasn't even anything about the QR codes or music, just kinda plopped the first page on there and left it. That's why I got so pissed, I was like "Can you either leave this out, or explain what it is please?" I wrote up a post about the QR stuff on Tumblr but neither Boom nor Frederator have reblogged or acknowledged it. To my knowledge, it's the first time something like this has been done, it would have been nice to see, like, a little fanfare over it. We worked damn hard to get it done. :\

I hope to pick up the issue tomorrow, but I wouldn't be surprised if it sold out already.
I'm hoping that with the way the first issue sold out, they printed a lot more of the second one. I STILL don't have my comps of Issue 1 and I don't know if I ever will, I might have to settle for reprints.

Haven't gotten a chance a chance to read it yet, but this is for you:
FWgXu9Kl.jpg

:)
Aw, thank you!!

Bee and Puppycat #2:
My comic of the month.
What a neat issue that was. Implementing that surprise into the story was a creative twist that just worked. The art was magnificent like usual, and the story was cute and seems to bring more to the table for future issues. Also chocolate~

After reading that, I feel way better.
Great stuff, and I recommend this issue for anyone interested in a cute and innovative comic.
Thanks so much! I'm glad to see that the idea seems to be well received. I've been trying to think up other ways to integrate more diverse media into the comic too but I also don't want to overuse the concept or make it too gimmicky.

The main feature of Bee & Puppycat #2 was ace, but man, just, expand the backup into its own comic. I'd pay GOOD MONEY for a book about lady wrestlers who never take shit from anyone. The best money, even. Boom, get my fucking money and make a book about cool lady wrestlers.
I haven't actually seen more than half of this issue yet, and the backups are written by other people (I believe this one was Becky, from Tiny Kitten Teeth) but if people want more of this, take to social media and tell Boom and Frederator!! It's not like Adventure Time doesn't have a shitload of spinoff books, heh. I'll be sure to let Natasha know as well!

Superboy was great this month. Aaron Kuder really turned this series around (despite the fact that it is ending) and Jorge Jimmenez' art continues to just be gorgeous. I'm even more excited knowing he is going to be on the upcoming Earth 2 weekly.

I just remembered she also showed up in the Batman/Superman that crossed over with the World's Finest book. You guys do realize that the World's Finest book is Huntress and Power Girl? She's made a few appearances outside of the World's Finest book.

ReAxion

She Hulk #5 -
literal cliffhanger!

Original Sins #1 - (emphasis on the "s") man, this is fun. Gonna add to pull.

Secret Avengers #4 - Solid fun. Pleased with this series. I think I'm going to get the Infinite/Sins tie-ins, too.

Avengers Undercover #5 - they finally got the story set up. I'm liking this better than Avengers Arena now.

United States of Murder, Inc. #2 - I have a better idea of where this is going now and I'm in.

All New Ultimates #3 - it's just okay. this issue was better than the last two, I'll give it that.

Starlight #3 - (last month's issue) I've been waiting on the digital price drop for these, but now I'm considering grabbing the one that came out yesterday because I want more. Starlight #1 is the free comic of the day.

Cheska

What are your guys' thoughts on Alan Moore's Top 10? I only just came across it, and but the whole "everyone has superpowers" angle seems pretty damn interesting.

tim1138

CBR has a good interview with DiDio about Infinity Man and the Forever People.

A couple of my favorite parts:

Based on the first issue and the upcoming solicitations, the book seems to be at first doing its own thing, being established on its own, but the DC Universe as a whole right now seems to be getting a little more integrated than it was at the start of the New 52. Is the plan to mix things up fairly quickly with this book? See some other DC heroes in it, or maybe see these characters elsewhere?

One of the things that was told to me as the writer was, "You have to include elements of the Bat-family into the book, because that will help draw attention to the series." So I'm very happy to say by the time we get to the fourth issue, we've included Bat-Cow, which I feel will really galvanize the Bat-audience into testing this book.

The news came out this week that Tom Grummett and Jim Starlin will be illustrating issues #2 and #3 respectively, issues Keith Giffen was originally solicited for. What prompted that switch? And what has you excited about working with both of those artists?

Unfortunately, because of personal things, Keith was unable to do #2, so we had to switch up the plan a little bit. Tom stepped in. Honestly, what we looked for was artists that you felt the influence of Kirby on their work and style and their storytelling. There's a splash page that Tom Grummet does with Darkseid and Beautiful Dreamer, that I think makes you feel that the book's in good hands with that issue. I absolutely adore working with Keith, but it's fun to work with Tom, because I've enjoyed his work over the years.

We knew in advance we'd be working with Jim. We were able to actually to craft a story directly for Jim Starlin, and play upon some of the things that he really does so extraordinary well. That's why we went for a very ethereal, heady type of story where, basically, Beautiful Dreamer is having a conversation with the personification of the Anti-Life Equation; which plays on so many different planes. That makes it a lot of fun.

But the best part is that Keith come roaring back with #4. He's there to stay at that point. We're on the phone every day, talking story. We're constantly talking the whole thing through, and the bits and pieces and turns. Bat-Cow was actually Keith's idea, not mine, I have to admit that. But boy, did I have fun putting that in the book. [Laughs]

I know. I know. Do you still pull it? I seem to remember you brown bagging it last month lol.

I haven't read Batgirl in a few months. It's not on my pull list anymore. This was the first issue I've read since the Wanted story arc. I may buy it off the rack if the quality stays where it is. It's not like my LCS is going to sell out of Batgirl.

Messi

I haven't read Batgirl in a few months. It's not on my pull list anymore. This was the first issue I've read since the Wanted story arc. I may buy it off the rack if the quality stays where it is. It's not like my LCS is going to sell out of Batgirl.

I was talking about Catwoman.

Oh sand pick up Batgirl Annual #2 from 2 months ago. As Korupt will agree it is a great story.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
It's still snowing places!? It's June!

The more Messi buys shitty books like Catwoman, the more the Earth tilts off its axis and the seasons hemorrhage into each other.

Vibranium

Banned
Rick Remender talks about the future of Captain America in "The Tomorrow Soldier" (CBR)

WARNING: Interview is spoiler-heavy for last issue of Cap.

Answered some of my questions coming out of that issue, and it sounds like Rick is sticking around for a while so it's going to take some time for this to play out.

Sounds good to me. I just hope it doesn't take like 4 arcs for Cap to get his serum back. Also, I hope he doesn't do another 10 part story (I really liked Dimension Z but it should have been 8 max).

From the issue:

Regarding Namor:
He is the one to emrace the truth of the situation. This scene is the pay of for the BP and Namor issue and the short Namor/Strange sequence we had last issue. Namor is tired. He is the one that lost everything. His kingdom, his birthright, his honor. Now the Black Swans prophecy from issue 2 comes full circle: "It breaks hope -- it crushes what makes us decent and steals what little honor remains." I'm not quite sure if this words will match characters at the end, but I think so. Namor was honor. If I'm to specualte: Decent will be Strange and Hope will be Beast.

The point is:
Tony has been warned two times now that he is the key regarding the outcome of the things to come in Avenger (V5) .
We know they won't use the rogue planet solution at this time and that the Illuminati will be spiritually broken by the end of Original Sin. I think it will be Tony, Panther and Reed at the end that solve it. The rest is too far gone to do something in my eyes.

It's still snowing places!? It's June!

The more Messi buys shitty books like Catwoman, the more the Earth tilts off its axis and the seasons hemorrhage into each other.
As much as it's despicable to support the evil queen of comicdom, I do live in the other Hemisphere.

Also: I resisted on checking out Starlight because of Millar for quite some time, but I decided to try out the first issue since it's free today and all.
I really really liked it. Parlov's art is really something.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
oh, lord no. I don't think I've read Catwoman since Winick was writing.

All this garbage really is making me nostalgic for Winnick. Why hasn't he written any more cliche-ridden but sexy books recently?

What are your guys' thoughts on Alan Moore's Top 10? I only just came across it, and but the whole "everyone has superpowers" angle seems pretty damn interesting.

Ugh, I still have to read it. It's been in my backlog for ages. And I have the Absolute Edition, too. XD

Zombine

Banned
I'm going to dive into Halo Jones soon. I hope greatness awaits. I've always wanted to read a Halo x Indiana Jones team up book.

I now own vol 1-4 of Wonder Woman and went to the LCS today and picked up issues 24-31 to catch up. I'm on vol 3 now but so far, this is really, really good.

Cheska

I now own vol 1-4 of Wonder Woman and went to the LCS today and picked up issues 24-31 to catch up. I'm on vol 3 now but so far, this is really, really good.

Probably my second favorite DC comic right now. Speaking of Wonder Woman, have you read any of Greg Rucka's run? If you haven't, I would highly recommend it! The biggest bummer is that quite a few of the trades have become harder to track down.

kswiston

From the issue:

If you go back to New Avengers #2, you'll see that this arc was sort of featured in one of the flash foward scene. The character designs are different (probably due to the artist change, and to make them less JLA like), but they are there.

fauxtrot

Banned
Just read the first three issues of Black Science. That art! That story! I was a little worried it'd feel too familiar, since I just read all of Fear Agent last month, but I should have known better than to question Remender's imagination.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom