• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| March Harley Quinn does the Banana Splits

Messi

Omg Vision #7. Omg Vision #11/#12: The second half elevated a pretty good series to greatness. Such a perfect finish.

That toaster joke! Virginia figuring out her "origin"! That so nice/so kind revisit!.

Still on the fence about that.

Any strong opinions (one way or the other) on that run from anyone here?

Someone had to ghost write Robin Rises right? It was such a let down compared to the first 6 volumes.

I really liked Robin Rises too. Not as much as some other volumes but still good. Some great emotional beats.

I love the MCU stuff but have never read a single comic.

Any suggestion on where I should start? I'd like to read stuff somewhat related to MCU characters/events. I was thinking of going back and reading some of the major events like Secret Wars, Infinity War, etc. but not sure if that is best. Maybe I should start with the new Marvel NOW stuff?

caliph95

Any suggestion on where I should start? I'd like to read stuff somewhat related to MCU characters/events. I was thinking of going back and reading some of the major events like Secret Wars, Infinity War, etc. but not sure if that is best. Maybe I should start with the new Marvel NOW stuff?
Probably be a bit more specific on the kind of comic you are looking for.

Are there specific characters you are interested in? We could recommend introductory runs that don't require a lot of pre-knowledge. Because major events usually come with a lot of baggage that make it difficult for a new reader.

tim1138

Omg Vision #7. Omg Vision #11/#12: The second half elevated a pretty good series to greatness. Such a perfect finish.

That toaster joke! Virginia figuring out her "origin"! That so nice/so kind revisit!.

Still on the fence about that.

Any strong opinions (one way or the other) on that run from anyone here?

Someone had to ghost write Robin Rises right? It was such a let down compared to the first 6 volumes.

Fraction's Fantastic Four run was not very good, but his Future Foundation run with Allred was amazing.

The more I think of Superman Reborn the more I'm annoyed by this.
It feels like something changed somewhere along the line. What happened to everything being tied into Geneticron in some way? What happened to them supposedly investigating Clark and him going as far as breaking into their lab and then the lab disappearing? How does Clark make a suitable camouflage even though it seems to be the one single person Oz is interested in the most.

I'm annoyed that this reveal answers absolutely nothing. It feels off and like a last minute decision or something. Nothing leading up to this makes any sense...almost as if it wasn't the plan the whole time.

Weird Clark suddenly eating like a child in the last issue is literally the only thing that suddenly make sense and even when it happened it was weird and out of place.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
I'm pretty open to suggestions.

If you like Iron Man - Read Matt Fractions Iron Man Run. Amazing Stuff
If you like Captain America, go for Ed Brubakers work in the Character
If you like Spider-Man, go for Ultimate Spider-Man
If you love the Guardians of the Galaxy, read Abnett & Lannings Space Marvel works.

I'm pretty open to suggestions.

There is a large probability of some of these spoiling future movies for you (Speculation is that Thor 3 = Simonson's Thor + Planet Hulk).

Ed Brubaker's Captain America run - http://marvel.com/comics/series/832/captain_america_2004_-_2011

Greg Pak's Planet Hulk - http://marvel.com/comics/events/212/planet_hulk

Warren Ellis' Extremis - http://marvel.com/comics/series/835/iron_man_2004_-_2007
(Just the first 6 issues)

Walt Simonson's Thor + Balder the Brave - http://marvel.com/comics/series/2083/thor_1966_-_1996
http://marvel.com/comics/series/3625/balder_the_brave_1985

(Issues #337 - #382 for Thor)

Fraction's Fantastic Four run was not very good, but his Future Foundation run with Allred was amazing.

Hmm. So half the omnibus was good. Worth a shot at $35 then I think.

Cetra

Hello, Comics GAF. I'm jonesing for some X-Men, but haven't read anything since Morrisons New X-Men and Whedon's Astonishing X-Men (so good). Any runs since then that stand out as something you'd recommend?

Messi

Hello, Comics GAF. I'm jonesing for some X-Men, but haven't read anything since Morrisons New X-Men and Whedon's Astonishing X-Men (so good). Any runs since then that stand out as something you'd recommend?

Bendis Uncanny and All New X-Men is good. X-Men has mostly been a trash fire in recent years apart from all new wolverine and old man Logan

Mmm I was going to say Bru's cap but it's a good point that some of it would just spoil what will likely be future plot points in the movie. There isn't much logical synergy between movies and the comics unfortunately.

Read the first four issues of Nightwing last night, still two more in the collection. I liked it! Far better than the trash Kyle Higgins put out, and I just never got warmed up to the Grayson series before it ended, so it's the best Dick Grayson I've read in some time. Super focused on the owls
and they kind of blow all that off at the end of the story
so it'll be interesting to see where things go. Good opening arc though, Seeley's a good writer. Definitely has the voice down. I wish they would just do something with Dick and Babs oppose to the perpetual state their relationship exists in but I enjoyed her showing up and her pov made a good counterpoint to the swamp Dick was wading through with the owls. I loved the quote about what she said in regards to Robin Hood haha.

Weiss

Banned

X-Books I like are the 12-issue Nightcrawler series by Claremont, Remender's Uncanny X-Force (though I've heard good things about Spurrier's X-Force) and X-Men '92, and I'm looking forward to the upcoming Generation X.

Uncanny X-Force by Rick Remender
X-Force/X-Statix by Milligan if you haven't read it

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
nice, haha

6RDdg73.jpg

https://twitter.com/thealexrossart/status/839704749402435586

Hagi

Soule is alright and that team makeup is cool so I'll give it a shot. Wish it was Deadpool instead of Fantomex though.

Cetra

Uncanny X-Force by Rick Remender
X-Force/X-Statix by Milligan if you haven't read it

Check out uncanny x-force written by Remender

X-Books I like are the 12-issue Nightcrawler series by Claremont, Remender's Uncanny X-Force (though I've heard good things about Spurrier's X-Force) and X-Men '92, and I'm looking forward to the upcoming Generation X.

Bendis Uncanny and All New X-Men is good. X-Men has mostly been a trash fire in recent years apart from all new wolverine and old man Logan

I'll check those out! Thanks folks!

Hagi

Guess I should read some Old Man Logan and see what's up. Shame I missed the sale. Lot of potential drama in this team make-up.

Hagi

Oh shit Bishop has hair again. I'm down for this book.

Wait, it's astonishing, not x-force hah?

Hagi, your thoughts on my hangover cure suggestion this morn? I'm hoping it's not just me

Hmm I can agree with tattie scone but I could go either way with Irn Bru. I usually just drink copious amounts of Original Lucozade.

Hmm I can agree with tattie scone but I could go either way with Irn Bru. I usually just drink copious amounts of Original Lucozade.

I can respect that, my girlfriend goes the Lucozade route. She thinks this cures her when she has the cold too lol

I could see this Soule book being good. His Inhumans stuff always seemed mired in editorial and events, but if he's left alone. He did write that big swamp thing run that was well received.

Feels a bit like Marvel just pulled rank on blue and gold by naming this Astonishing lol. I wonder if this book was always the plan or went into the works when the teams were do poorly received for the x relaunch.

Sandfox

I can respect that, my girlfriend goes the Lucozade route. She thinks this cures her when she has the cold too lol

I could see this Soule book being good. His Inhumans stuff always seemed mired in editorial and events, but if he's left alone. He did write that big swamp thing run that was well received.

Feels a bit like Marvel just pulled rank on blue and gold by naming this Astonishing lol. I wonder if this book was always the plan or went into the works when the teams were do poorly received for the x relaunch.
Those books will probably be renamed at some point to more classic names to match.

Hagi

Hah I usually drink it when I'm feeling sick as well.

I can see this being the better of the three but I'm not really interested in the other two so that's not really saying much. It certainly has a better team lineup than Gold and Blue.

Top Bottom